Author Topic: Hello Friend - Mr Robot TV series.  (Read 52791 times)

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hello Friend - Mr Robot TV series.
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2015, 03:30:04 pm »
also the main actor really is very poor.  i'm surprised he gets such acclaim.

I think this is one of those performances that ends up dividing opinion in fairly black-and-white terms, because it's heavily dependent on how you feel about the character itself. I'm of the mind that he's done a fantastic job in the role the way it's been written, but that said role lacks many of the traits that would usually make for "good" acting.

It's a bit like Michael Fassbender in Prometheus - I thought he was brilliant, but one of my friends made the nearly-legitimate (if simplistic) comment that his performance probably could have been replicated by a particular type of bad actor doing his regular thing.

Spoiler
Having said that, I'm pretty annoyed that they took an entire episode to reveal the plot twist that had already essentially been revealed in the previous one (and that had been obvious to plenty of people for a while).
[close]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:32:10 pm by cptrios »

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2015, 06:57:55 am »
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU FOOLS???

it just wasn't very good?  style over substance for most of the series.  it's a very nice style, but the emperor really doesn't have any clothes on.

I think this is one of those performances that ends up dividing opinion in fairly black-and-white terms, because it's heavily dependent on how you feel about the character itself. I'm of the mind that he's done a fantastic job in the role the way it's been written, but that said role lacks many of the traits that would usually make for "good" acting.

i did wonder about that - but it is essentially a one-trick performance.  i always tend to get worried when an actor struggles even in voice over. 

He looks in the newspaper for something to watch in the cinema and he picks out Stargate (which I went to see at that time) and Pulp Fiction.

i went to see 'stargate' too, and it was awful.  i remember its dreadfulness became a running joke with my friends every time we went to the cinema.

mind you, reminding me of poor sci-fi stories of the past was probably not a good idea for this show... :)
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2015, 07:21:04 am »
Sideshowme just struggles to enjoy anything that anyone else does. We should all try saying this is average, he'll be all over it ;)

I know these things are subjective but Rami Malek is absolutely transformative as Elliot for me. Though maybe I'm bias because my life has literally been computers, moral ambiguity, drugs and mental illness.... if he was a die hard red I'd lose my shit  ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:24:56 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2015, 08:42:53 am »
it just wasn't very good?  style over substance for most of the series.  it's a very nice style, but the emperor really doesn't have any clothes on.

i did wonder about that - but it is essentially a one-trick performance.  i always tend to get worried when an actor struggles even in voice over. 

i went to see 'stargate' too, and it was awful.  i remember its dreadfulness became a running joke with my friends every time we went to the cinema.

mind you, reminding me of poor sci-fi stories of the past was probably not a good idea for this show... :)

nah...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2015, 01:20:31 pm »
Sideshowme just struggles to enjoy anything that anyone else does. We should all try saying this is average, he'll be all over it ;)

not true at all.  while i do frequently marvel at people's effusive reactions to average stuff, if something is good i'll say it's good, and if it's amazing, i'll say it's amazing. :)  i like what i like.  it's all subjective, of course.

the irony is, i spent a few hours last week engaged in a heated argument supporting something that almost everyone likes - from critics, to audiences, to the awards on both sides of the atlantic, where i was accused of being a populist.  it appears i can't win :)
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2015, 05:05:35 pm »

I feel like don't even know you any more.

Nah, sideshow's a good egg. Brainwashed by True Detective's first season, but other than that he's usually got good taste.
Justice For The 96

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2015, 06:28:58 pm »
Btw, make sure you watch past the credits on the finale next week. Apparently there's "something." No idea what.
Justice For The 96

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2015, 07:11:39 pm »
not true at all.  while i do frequently marvel at people's effusive reactions to average stuff, if something is good i'll say it's good, and if it's amazing, i'll say it's amazing. :)  i like what i like.  it's all subjective, of course.

the irony is, i spent a few hours last week engaged in a heated argument supporting something that almost everyone likes - from critics, to audiences, to the awards on both sides of the atlantic, where i was accused of being a populist.  it appears i can't win :)

Yeah I know I was just messing :P

Everyone has different expectations when it comes to television and film, I used to be a lot more fussy but nowadays I'll find myself enjoying everything from Suits to The Wire. I can usually shut off and enjoy something in spite of it's bad points.... however I don't see any real complains with Mr. Robot if I'm honest.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2015, 07:48:48 am »
I feel like don't even know you any more.

Nah, sideshow's a good egg. Brainwashed by True Detective's first season, but other than that he's usually got good taste.

I dunno. I've had my doubts about him since he said The Office sustained a higher quality for longer than Parks and Rec ;D

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2015, 07:51:40 am »
Final episode tonight? What time/where? No UK coverage of this is there?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2015, 09:56:37 pm »
USA Network: Tonight's #MrRobot season finale is pushed a week because of a "graphic scene" similar to today's events in Virginia.

Due to an unfortunate parallel to a real-life tragedy today, USA has postponed tonight's "Mr. Robot" season finale to air next week.

(Some minor spoilers follow.)

The freshman thriller's season finale features a very graphic on-camera shooting. It's not identical to the tragedy this morning in Virginia, where a TV reporter and cameraman were murdered during a live broadcast, but it was close enough that USA understandably decided it was wise to put a bit of distance between the real and fictional events. No one who watched tonight would be thinking about anything else.

In a statement, the network said, "The previously filmed season finale of 'Mr. Robot' contains a graphic scene similar in nature to today’s tragic events in Virginia. Out of respect to the victims, their families and colleagues, and our viewers, we are postponing tonight’s episode. Our thoughts go out to all those affected during this difficult time."

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/usa-postpones-mr-robot-finale-due-to-parallels-to-virginia-murders#w5m4GAMuETptLHMF.99
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:58:51 pm by Ray K »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2015, 11:44:57 pm »
I guess they couldn't have worded that any differently, what a massive spoiler.

In all honesty they should have aired it, there will be hundreds of movies and television shows airing across the entire US of A tonight that will feature gun violence.

Just hope they don't cut it.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:19 pm »
I've managed to not read anything past "minor spoilers" amazingly but pretty pissed off That it's another weeks wait. Ahh well
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2015, 06:12:35 pm »
I guess they couldn't have worded that any differently, what a massive spoiler.

In all honesty they should have aired it, there will be hundreds of movies and television shows airing across the entire US of A tonight that will feature gun violence.

Just hope they don't cut it.

It's really not that big of a spoiler. If you think back along the season it's pretty obvious that something was coming involving
Spoiler
the gun in the popcorn machine.
[close]

And they absolutely made the right decision in delaying the episode. It's unfortunate timing for those of us who were looking forward to the episode last night, but I think we'll all survive a week without it.
Justice For The 96

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2015, 12:12:48 am »
The trailer for the last episode of the season:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppVGR09s0Aw
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2015, 10:29:34 pm »
Just started this, episode one complete... It's very very good!

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #176 on: September 2, 2015, 10:02:46 pm »
Got as far as episode 8, it's been boss so far. Really like it..

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 3, 2015, 08:38:06 am »
When last episode out? Today innit?
Football is a lie

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 3, 2015, 09:36:53 am »
When last episode out? Today innit?

Just watched it ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: September 3, 2015, 02:31:42 pm »
I don't think I understood half of that finale  ;D

Spoiler
Guessing Tyrell is still alive (or super twist, he's another part of Elliot's imagination) and has the key to fixing the problem, which he'll blackmail E corp with.

Also the Dark Army guy is one of those elites? All of it a power play to take down E Corp and take their place? I imagine the debt thing will be fixed pretty quickly.

Also nice Eyes Wide Shut music
[close]

Interesting series ahead
« Last Edit: September 3, 2015, 02:36:47 pm by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 3, 2015, 03:01:24 pm »

Spoiler
Guessing Tyrell is still alive (or super twist, he's another part of Elliot's imagination) and has the key to fixing the problem, which he'll blackmail E corp with.

Also the Dark Army guy is one of those elites? All of it a power play to take down E Corp and take their place? I imagine the debt thing will be fixed pretty quickly.

[close]

Interesting series ahead

Spoiler
Did Tyrell reveal to Elliot what the hell he was doing last week and I didn't pay attention? What are he and his Mrs up to, trying to achieve, or is that in S2. Loved how she was amazingly pleasant and totally menacing at the same time.

[close]

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 3, 2015, 03:03:14 pm »
Spoiler
Did Tyrell reveal to Elliot what the hell he was doing last week and I didn't pay attention? What are he and his Mrs up to, trying to achieve, or is that in S2. Loved how she was amazingly pleasant and totally menacing at the same time.

[close]

Spoiler
I don't think so, I believe his ultimate goal is to rise as high as he can in E corp.

I read when his Mrs spoke Danish to Elliot she said "If you've done something to him, i'll kill you", she's vicious  ;D
[close]
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 3, 2015, 06:10:00 pm »
I thought that was a great finale. Good balance of resolution and teasing things out for next season.

Spoiler
I don't think so, I believe his ultimate goal is to rise as high as he can in E corp.

I read when his Mrs spoke Danish to Elliot she said "If you've done something to him, i'll kill you", she's vicious  ;D
[close]

Spoiler
I remember reading something from Sam Esmail a few weeks ago that said Joanna's going to be a prominent figure beginning in Season 2 which is great because she's fascinating.
[close]

Spoiler

[close]

Interesting series ahead

Spoiler
The opposite angle regarding that last scene would be that the CEO of Evil Corp was somehow involved with or had foreknowledge of the hack. That'd also account for why he was remarkably calm (as Angela pointed out) while his company was seemingly crumbling to the ground around him. Contrast that to the way Gideon was acting as Allsafe was falling apart. Either way, really interesting scene to tack onto the end of the credits.
[close]
Justice For The 96

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #183 on: September 3, 2015, 07:00:20 pm »
Spoiler
I feel like Whiterose used Eliott so that he can eventually buy all of the stock and deeply plummeted prices, and then using the encryption key to fix everything and buy up all of the stock. Will mean that Eliott/fscoiety didn't really fix the system, and that E-Corp will rise up and potentially be stronger than ever under new ownership.

So many awesome little moments in the show - the scene of Eliott choking himself in the cafe cracked me up. And it seems they used the week's delay well adding in the Ashley Madison and Chinese stock market in the past week references as well.

Also interesting to note Angela gradually changed her appearance from wearing all white to all black by the end of the show - sign of things to come perhaps?

So many questions! Have to wait 10 months for season 2 now..

[close]

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #184 on: September 3, 2015, 10:17:32 pm »
Spoiler
Who do we think was at the door then?
[close]
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #185 on: September 4, 2015, 12:26:26 am »
Fair to say i won`t be watching the second series. Self indulgent nonsense.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: September 4, 2015, 12:36:44 am »
Spoiler
Didn't get all the answers but a good episode with a lot of highlights. The suicide on live TV, Slater's speech about modern society near the end, the scene with Elliot and Tyrell's wife (creepy as fuck) and no, Tyrell isn't Elliot. The head of E-Corp giving that speech in what almost seemed to parallel a Nazi meeting. Then Whiterose showing up in that mansion party, which was very Eyes Wide Shut-esque, and ending with that killer line, and offering up the possibility if him either playing E-Corp, the hackers, or if he's in it for himself. More brilliant use of music too.

Pretty disappointed there was no Tyrell (but you'd think that's him at the door). Shame Angela took the job but it looks like she might be being used to get to the hackers.

Can't wait for Season 2

[close]
« Last Edit: September 4, 2015, 12:38:34 am by Sir Psycho Sexy »

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #187 on: September 4, 2015, 12:38:06 am »
Btw i reckon the dad, Mr Robot is still alive. He was the one who left the videotape from the pier. There will be a future battle between real Mr Robot and imaginary Mr Robot.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 4, 2015, 12:39:43 am »
Btw i reckon the dad, Mr Robot is still alive. He was the one who left the videotape from the pier. There will be a future battle between real Mr Robot and imaginary Mr Robot.
Spoiler
nah, he's not. all those people in the internet cafe saw Elliot having an argument with himself
[close]

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #189 on: September 4, 2015, 08:20:37 am »
Interesting cameo from the North Korea dictator.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #190 on: September 4, 2015, 09:10:16 am »

Thanks for sharing do come again.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #191 on: September 4, 2015, 09:39:06 am »
Blasphemy.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #192 on: September 4, 2015, 09:42:36 am »
I literally could not agree less!

One of the freshest and most engaging series I've scene in years.

EDIT: Kubrick would have loved it too! 8)
Spoiler
Who do we think was at the door then?
[close]
Spoiler
Tyrell
[close]
« Last Edit: September 4, 2015, 09:48:57 am by Titi Camara »

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #193 on: September 4, 2015, 11:06:55 am »
An outrageously good debut series. And a season finale that delivers more questions than answers, but in a way that doesn't leave us shortchanged, but wanting more.

Spoiler
Who's at Elliot's door?  My guess is Tyrell, but who knows?

What does Mrs Tyrell know, and how can she look so beautifully naive and sinister at the same time?

What exactly is the deal with Whiterose in that coda?  Was the head of E Corp in on the hack?

How the fuck did Sam Esmail time the Ashley Madison data hack to happen the same time as in real life?   He told Andy Greenwald that it was in the script all along, not a last-minute drop-in to react to this week's news

[close]

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: September 4, 2015, 11:21:40 am »
An outrageously good debut series. And a season finale that delivers more questions than answers, but in a way that doesn't leave us shortchanged, but wanting more.

Spoiler

What does Mrs Tyrell know, and how can she look so beautifully naive and sinister at the same time?

What exactly is the deal with Whiterose in that coda?  Was the head of E Corp in on the hack?

How the fuck did Sam Esmail time the Ashley Madison data hack to happen the same time as in real life?   He told Andy Greenwald that it was in the script all along, not a last-minute drop-in to react to this week's news
[close]

Spoiler
Haha, good to know that! It dragged me out of it for a mo and made me think the whole scene was a bit forced, just because of how recent a reference it seemed.

Mrs Tyrell is boss. It's really uncomfortable that she has a tiny baby.
[close]

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 4, 2015, 11:46:09 am »

Spoiler

[close]

The last episode was filmed in July. News of the hack was out then, they may have gambled that they would be released by the time it airs.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #196 on: September 4, 2015, 12:59:12 pm »
It's a funny show too.

'This hacker kid is brilliant. He's using something called 'proxies' or something?'

And Mr. Robot to Elliot in the coffee shop: 'Calm down and have a latte. It's on me'

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #197 on: September 4, 2015, 01:41:37 pm »
Everything in this show is top notch, special mentions for the camera and cinematography, real pleasure to watch.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #198 on: September 4, 2015, 01:45:04 pm »
Just caught the finale last night. Phenomenal show.
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: September 4, 2015, 01:55:11 pm »
The music is class. Always find myself thinking, that sounds good, I wonder who its by?
Football is a lie