Author Topic: The Strain is Coming!  (Read 24654 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: The Strain is Coming!
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2014, 09:13:56 am »
Firstly, Nora is fit...like super fit!

I really enjoyed it, not exactly the tone I was expecting (thought it would be a bit darker, maybe that's to come) but it was well made and I like the look of head honcho vampire, very GDT, it was also a lot of fun too.
My only gripe is that it felt a bit rushed but that's probably a product of the system. GDT obviously felt presure to lay down as much as he could in that first episode to get people's attention. Personally I think that's a shame as a slow burn approach to it, working out what had happened on the plane over two episodes would've worked better but I suppose ratings are king and we need to keep the dullards entertained lol
plot hole filled nonsense
As a big fan boy I'm trying not to be precious but what do you mean?

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 03:49:35 pm »
Thought it was ok, good enough to keep me watching.

Spoiler
That monster was fucking hilarious though, was laughing to myself as he moon-walked away after killing that guy.
[close]
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 03:54:21 pm »
Spoiler
That monster was fucking hilarious though, was laughing to myself as he moon-walked away after killing that guy.
[close]
Spoiler
You mean the bit where he scuttled backwards down that corridor lit in yellow? I thought that was ace too ;D ;D ;D
[close]

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 03:55:58 pm »
Spoiler
You mean the bit where he scuttled backwards down that corridor lit in yellow? I thought that was ace too ;D ;D ;D
[close]

Yep, it proper tickled me :D
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 07:51:35 pm »
Firstly, Nora is fit...like super fit!

I really enjoyed it, not exactly the tone I was expecting (thought it would be a bit darker, maybe that's to come) but it was well made and I like the look of head honcho vampire, very GDT, it was also a lot of fun too.
My only gripe is that it felt a bit rushed but that's probably a product of the system. GDT obviously felt presure to lay down as much as he could in that first episode to get people's attention. Personally I think that's a shame as a slow burn approach to it, working out what had happened on the plane over two episodes would've worked better but I suppose ratings are king and we need to keep the dullards entertained lolAs a big fan boy I'm trying not to be precious but what do you mean?
Watched it last night. Thought it was really entertaining.

I agree with the pacing. I personally thought it was a bit of a mistake to reveal that actual creature first as it spoiled a lot of the intrigue and mystery regarding the events of the plane and what happened to it's passengers. There were also major scenes that happened that should have been the end sequence of the episode, but instead it carried on and sort of negated the impact that it should have had on the viewer. Hopefully that's not a continuing theme of the show as that's just either bad writing
Spoiler
the bit where the old man tries to inform the CDC in the airport with explicit details that no one else could have known, and thus he would have or should have been arrested and interrogated for knowing sensitive details over how an plane of people are dead, instead he was just looked at like a crazy loon and arrested for that. Weak.
[close]
or bad directing or both. It was otherwise very good

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2014, 09:05:28 am »
Shite.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2014, 09:16:31 am »
Shite.

Not yet imo but I can see the tendency towards being that in the future episodes.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2014, 09:21:40 am »
Shite.

Judging a series on 1 episode is stupid

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2014, 09:34:22 am »
Spoiler
the bit where the old man tries to inform the CDC in the airport with explicit details that no one else could have known, and thus he would have or should have been arrested and interrogated for knowing sensitive details over how an plane of people are dead, instead he was just looked at like a crazy loon and arrested for that. Weak.
[close]
Been a while since I read the book but I think this is pretty much what happens.....that said GDT did co-write the book as well ::)

Can't wait for Gus to get gangsta on these fangers homie 8)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2014, 09:39:05 am »
Shite.
Ring any bells?   :P ;)

The comic book violence was ok...the comic book acting less so..unfortunately it was the unconvincing lead character (part Gareth Bale part Dick & Dom) that wouldnt allow me to suspend my disbelief long enough to accept the programme's ludicrous central premise..

it was underrated for a reason...it was fuckin shite

The strangest thing has happened...Ive actually starting looking forward to, and enjoying each epsiode

one of the most improved series on the box for me.......bit darker and at times slower paced than the first season but still keeping the B Movie/trash ethic going...shagging quota has reduced drastically though...sort it out Hood!

Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2014, 10:14:37 am »
Ring any bells?   :P ;)

The comic book violence was ok...the comic book acting less so..unfortunately it was the unconvincing lead character (part Gareth Bale part Dick & Dom) that wouldnt allow me to suspend my disbelief long enough to accept the programme's ludicrous central premise..

it was underrated for a reason...it was fuckin shite

The strangest thing has happened...Ive actually starting looking forward to, and enjoying each epsiode

one of the most improved series on the box for me.......bit darker and at times slower paced than the first season but still keeping the B Movie/trash ethic going...shagging quota has reduced drastically though...sort it out Hood!

distant bells maybe  8)......if the second season of The Strain (yeah, like thats goanner happen) ...shows the same increase in quality that Banshee did...I'll revise my opinion.....as it stands, that first episode was a load of shite....corny, badly shot, poorly written and terribly acted.

Fangs can only get better.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2014, 04:23:36 pm »
Production value wise, it was a bit cheap looking and very clichéd. In general it just wasn't very well written.

Spoiler
Court appointed therapy session, at 8.30pm, no nine to five for these people. Lets just kill this dude and mash his head in, leave him in a puddle of body fluid where he drops and no one will find the body in a busy airport in the middle of a security alert. I'll just do this autopsy in the morgue with all the lights turned off and a blue light on, because it will look spooky oooooh.

Corey Stoll wasn't great, which is a surprise as he is an ok actor, possibly the quality of the writing and direction more than him, it was weird seeing him with hair as well.
[close]

One thing that really pissed me off was the way it was lit. It was straight out of the Michael Bay school of music video shite. Obviously meant to make it atmospheric and moody, but it didn't, it just looked cheap and fake. Everything was dark and wet down, then lit with weird colours, like loads of fucking yellow, red and blue from weird angles. Hey welcome to our baggage warehouse, that pretty much runs 24 hours a day, but at night we turn on yellow lights or work in the dark.

Since I've bothered to watch the first one, I'll give it a chance, but I don't hold out much hope for improvement.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2014, 08:32:50 pm »
It reminds me of a Steven King straight to TV adaptation. That's not to say it's a bad thing, but shite acting, screenplay et al are all par for the course. The Strain comes across like a production from another era, late 80's early 90's. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 02:34:37 am »
God the acting was pretty much awful all around in this one.

Not bad premise and I did sort of enjoy it but it's littered with stupid shit throughout. For example, the fella in the airport with the picture frame of his daughter, the incident had only happened about an hour earlier. it's like he said "oh, I'm off the the airport.  better bring this picture frame with me, just incase" really annoys me that shit.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 08:36:56 am »
For example, the fella in the airport with the picture frame of his daughter, the incident had only happened about an hour earlier. it's like he said "oh, I'm off the the airport.  better bring this picture frame with me, just incase" really annoys me that shit.

;D

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2014, 11:11:02 am »
It reminds me of a Steven King straight to TV adaptation. That's not to say it's a bad thing, but shite acting, screenplay et al are all par for the course. The Strain comes across like a production from another era, late 80's early 90's. Not sure if that's intentional or not.
Hahaha I actually thought that as well and went to check the source on it to see if it was his.

God the acting was pretty much awful all around in this one.

Not bad premise and I did sort of enjoy it but it's littered with stupid shit throughout. For example, the fella in the airport with the picture frame of his daughter, the incident had only happened about an hour earlier. it's like he said "oh, I'm off the the airport.  better bring this picture frame with me, just incase" really annoys me that shit.
Its not even the 'just in case' its like hello, wouldn't he have been there to meet the plane when it was arriving? Or did he wait until he heard there was a problem and went oh yeah my kid is on that plane, better go collect her, I'll need this framed picture or I wont recognise her. Oh god and the slap as well, what the fuck was that, just terrible, terrible writing.

Saw that its based on books by Del Toro, that he had tried to get it made as a tv show, but it got knocked back so he made it into a book. I can fucking see why it was knocked back.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 12:09:00 pm »
Saw that its based on books by Del Toro, that he had tried to get it made as a tv show, but it got knocked back so he made it into a book. I can fucking see why it was knocked back.
The books are great, imho, which is why I want this show to be quality!

It does read a touch like a fleshed out screen play though!

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 05:20:33 pm »
I so wanted this to be three films as I thought tv wouldn't do the books justice...looks like I was right.

Too much information shoved into one episode..was it really necessary.

It looked awful..it's an hd world we live in and it looked like it was shot by the same crew that did Salem's Lot.

I'm not impressed at all,and I wanted this to be a success as I thought the most interesting part of the books was the vampire physiology..the apparent evolution,a retractible proboscis along with the worms is a new slant on vampires as leeches.

I'll watch it until....

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2014, 06:08:33 pm »

Ha - getting quite the mixed bag of opinions !

Thought it was OK but a bit hit and miss . The lead male was more wooden than a fuckin Woodentop . Maybe he was just a bit stressed what with it being a frightfull situation .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2014, 10:58:55 am »
Didn't know Del Toro directed it. He has directed the next two as well.

Hope it gets better in the next episodes. Del Toro has created some lofty standards since his excellent work at Pan's Labyrinth. I know... different things but there are some expectations.
He must love the supernatural elements in his projects, doesn't he?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2014, 01:24:06 pm »
Didn't know Del Toro directed it. He has directed the next two as well.

Hope it gets better in the next episodes. Del Toro has created some lofty standards since his excellent work at Pan's Labyrinth. I know... different things but there are some expectations.
He must love the supernatural elements in his projects, doesn't he?
GDT was only on board to do the first episode, David Semel (who directs single/double/triple episodes of stuff like Hannibal and American Horror Story) is in the chair for the next two, then the buck is passed again.

GDT does have lofty standards but he's also massively fucking busy juggling loads of different projects, maybe that's why the pilot felt rushed and muddled or maybe the fact that he never got to do a Jackson and turn this into a trilogy meant he didn't give this the attention it deserved.

Either way there's no doubting it's not what fans were hoping for but maybe, just maybe the next couple of episodes will establish better pacing, acting, lighting, directing and mood (not much of an ask then). Only a few days till we start to know which way this is going to go....

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2014, 04:08:29 am »
The second episode is pretty solid. It was better directed, slower paced with better acting and writing. Hopefully it retains that throughout.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2014, 05:55:52 am »
The second episode is pretty solid. It was better directed, slower paced with better acting and writing. Hopefully it retains that throughout.
My thoughts exactly. I thought the little one on one between the Nazi and the Jew was the highlight!

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2014, 12:49:35 pm »
Did anyone else make it to episode 2 or is it just me and Mac lol ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2014, 02:10:14 pm »
Enjoyed last nights ep.

Pacing was much better and the new character intro was better than the rushed effort from last week.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2014, 02:29:54 pm »
Enjoyed last nights ep.

Pacing was much better and the new character intro was better than the rushed effort from last week.
I think in hindsight GDT should've stepped back from this and just been an exec, as he's probably done more harm than good. I know no one likes giving up one of their pets but he should've known he didn't have the time or attention to spare to do it justice.

That said his involvement obviously got this off the floor.

Hopefully the improvements continue! Vasiliy's the boss in the books and his introduction was fantastic. Can't wait for him and Gus to start busting heads! 8)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2014, 02:49:47 pm »
I think in hindsight GDT should've stepped back from this and just been an exec, as he's probably done more harm than good. I know no one likes giving up one of their pets but he should've known he didn't have the time or attention to spare to do it justice.

That said his involvement obviously got this off the floor.

Hopefully the improvements continue! Vasiliy's the boss in the books and his introduction was fantastic. Can't wait for him and Gus to start busting heads! 8)
I think you called it right last week..it was to to keep people entertained... that amount of info takes a long time to develop in the book as you know.....people need tv to be simple I find.

The little story during the prison visit takes place 2/3 rds of the way into the book iirc.

The problem is fitting the book into 13 episodes whilst entertaining viewers and keeping the book readers happy and making quality tv.

I'm enjoying the ride.

I might re-read the books soon..it's been a while.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2014, 02:58:32 pm »
I might re-read the books soon..it's been a while.
I bought The Passage and The Twelve today, and no, not the porno versions! :lickin

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2014, 03:13:02 pm »
I bought The Passage and The Twelve today, and no, not the porno versions! :lickin
]The Passage has a passage were nowt happens for chapters and you're tempted to put it down...don't.

I loved both books and the finale is my most anticipated release for this year.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2014, 03:42:02 pm »
Thought it was ok

Spoiler
I struggled to understand what the monster thing was saying though, and a couple things seemed a bit far fetched. For example not a single person reporting to the news that the 200 people pronounced dead had showed up home in a 24 hour period, or the CDC being overruled to allow the survivors to go home, or nobody else showing up at the mortuary for a full day.

[close]

Still, it's interesting enough to stay with it

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2014, 03:47:39 pm »
I loved both books and the finale is my most anticipated release for this year.
That's why I bought them you clown :butt

A clown on a bike full of EPO you may be but you do have good taste :wave

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2014, 04:33:03 pm »
That's why I bought them you clown :butt

A clown on a bike full of EPO you may be but you do have good taste :wave
:lmao

The point of post was that after the opening to the book it feels like the story is drifting aimlessly(bit like you  :P) and you'll think this is going nowhere...but it's really worth with sticking with.

Coco...out. ;D

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2014, 06:15:23 pm »
They should have just called it 'The Stain'
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2014, 08:41:49 pm »
Developing nicely....boss ending.

Rob...you start the Cronin books yet,little brother?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2014, 10:15:41 pm »
Developing nicely....boss ending.

Rob...you start the Cronin books yet,little brother?
Nope I'm about 1/4 through another book I've just started, I've also bought One Three One...not sure what I'll pick up next but it'll be read before the end of the summer! When's the finale coming out?

On the Strain....feel like I've been spoilt with all this hour long HBO shizzle of late...when today's episode finished I was like "no way was that a fucking hour" and I was right lol ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:17:39 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2014, 08:47:36 am »
Nope I'm about 1/4 through another book I've just started, I've also bought One Three One...not sure what I'll pick up next but it'll be read before the end of the summer! When's the finale coming out?

On the Strain....feel like I've been spoilt with all this hour long HBO shizzle of late...when today's episode finished I was like "no way was that a fucking hour" and I was right lol ;D
Cope?

I  remember him from Erics and Probe...crank. :)

October 23.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2014, 12:44:16 pm »
Best episode so far IMO

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2014, 12:47:06 pm »
Cope?

I  remember him from Erics and Probe...crank. :)
Yep, spotted it in this thread and it sounded right up my street! First time I've heard of him in any capacity though....
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=314596.msg12898854#msg12898854
Best episode so far IMO
Hopefully the upward trajectory continues for ther rest of the season 8)

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2014, 01:03:31 pm »
Awesome episode,loving this show.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2014, 01:27:23 pm »

Pretty decent - seems to have settled down .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.