Author Topic: The Strain is Coming!  (Read 24653 times)

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
Re: The Strain is Coming!
« Reply #200 on: September 9, 2015, 02:10:56 pm »
Well, if you have issues with it, blame Del Toro, he's micro managing the whole thing, its down to him.

Inclined to let it slide though, it is what it is, just a daft vampire show. Its enjoyable enough, despite the kid who looks like a beaver.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2015, 03:35:53 am »
Why hasn't the kid died yet? OMG just die!

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2015, 05:03:49 pm »

because he doesn't
Spoiler
well not until the very end
[close]

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2015, 05:05:10 pm »
Don't like the kids dad in it either

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2015, 05:06:38 pm »
because he doesn't
Spoiler
well not until the very end
[close]

I would have killed him already.

Oh you want to let the vampires in? Really? That's your plan, well look at that it's night time, lets go see if your mom is in this alley, nope not here *punts kid in the head and puts him next to dumpster. Oh no! Look a yummy whiny kid, I hope there are no vampires in the area! He looks so pudgy and juicy!

*walk back inside lock door.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2015, 05:48:29 pm »
The preview for next week seems a little intense & change of tone.  :o

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2015, 01:49:50 pm »
That Eichorst backstory was great
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2015, 09:41:58 pm »
But meanwhile, the story isn't making any progress.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2015, 12:05:00 am »
In that scene was Eichorst just about to do as it appeared or any deeper book lore? Seemed a little intense for just a sidestory.

But meanwhile, the story isn't making any progress.

Strange pace this season with the main story. Thought we would see far more of the master & recast vamp guy.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:06:48 am by HighSix »

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2015, 12:08:08 am »
In that scene was Eichorst just about to do as it appeared or any deeper book lore? Seemed a little intense for just a sidestory.

Strange pace this season with the main story. Thought we would see far more of the master & recast vamp guy.

That girl character isn't even in the books I read, so I doubt it
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2015, 12:13:15 am »
That girl character isn't even in the books I read, so I doubt it

Thats a pretty weird scene to do just for tv then! Assumed it was essential in the book and hard to translate or some vampire reasoning rather than just what it looked like.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2015, 11:10:13 am »
To be fair, you need to ignore the books. Its often just the bare bones of the story you're getting with any adaptation, that's with film. In tv land, you have to stretch out a story over several weeks, so you are given more room, which means you go in wider directions. As with any adaptation, what works on a page often doesn't on screen. They are different mediums after all, with different rules and narrative structures.

Its no surprise that the series is diverging, that its doing more visceral visual scenes like in the previous episode. They are fleshing out and exploring characters more, because they have room, its interesting and they can. Plus, to a degree they need to when its going to be playing out over a number of seasons.
Trouble is they have sort of gotten bogged down in weird soap opera style storylines. There is an air of this is terrible, the world is falling apart, its a plague of biblical proportions, its chaos in the streets, but life carries on as normal, the shops are open, people go to work, there is no sense of a war going on or any real emergency or urgency to anything that the characters do.
Pacing has always been a bit of a problem with this show though. Timeline wise we are, what, a few weeks in to this outbreak starting, month or two maybe. It doesn't feel like that though.

There is an argument to be had as well that they just did a brutal sexual assault scene for kicks. Given that we already know what an evil bastard he is adding this on top isn't really needed. Fleshing out his history though, who and what he was before, how he became what he is, thats interesting. Showing him do what he was about to do is maybe, in story/character development wise a little unnecessary and over the top. It smacks of doing it for entertainment and I'm not sure its something that should still be accepted.

They need to stop with the near misses, get into scrapes, live to fight another day bollocks. They would be better introducing some new characters so they can kill them, rather than this thundercats cartoon villain fight run away rinse repeat crap.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2015, 01:17:03 am »

They need to stop with the near misses, get into scrapes, live to fight another day bollocks. They would be better introducing some new characters so they can kill them, rather than this thundercats cartoon villain fight run away rinse repeat crap.
I came in here to say the exact same thing. I mean, how fucking hard can it be to pull a pin on a grenade, wait for a few seconds and then throw it so that it blows up in the bastards face? Nope, lets just chuck it round the corner and give him full sight of it so that he can see it and run to safety. It really does become insulting to the viewer when you see shit like that. It's like an episode of Adam West's Batman.

Oh, and let's not even mention the assassination attempt by an untrained twat, who only an episode previous, couldn't hit a barn door with that gun, so what the fuck made him suddenly think that he was a professional marksman that could suddenly dome someone from 300 yards away?

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2015, 06:30:43 pm »
I came in here to say the exact same thing. I mean, how fucking hard can it be to pull a pin on a grenade, wait for a few seconds and then throw it so that it blows up in the bastards face? Nope, lets just chuck it round the corner and give him full sight of it so that he can see it and run to safety. It really does become insulting to the viewer when you see shit like that. It's like an episode of Adam West's Batman.

Oh, and let's not even mention the assassination attempt by an untrained twat, who only an episode previous, couldn't hit a barn door with that gun, so what the fuck made him suddenly think that he was a professional marksman that could suddenly dome someone from 300 yards away?
Yeah, he didn't even practise with the fucking thing first. Never mind cross winds, trajectory time distance compensation! 'nah its easy, never done it before, well I did shoot at a German vampire with it the other night, it was point blank range and I missed like, but this time I'm on top of a building, shooting through a crowd, I'm sure it will be easier.'

Also, you'd think they would have thought of silver bullets by now, but no, silver grenades, yes, but not silver bullets.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2015, 06:53:41 pm »
Yeah, he didn't even practise with the fucking thing first. Never mind cross winds, trajectory time distance compensation! 'nah its easy, never done it before, well I did shoot at a German vampire with it the other night, it was point blank range and I missed like, but this time I'm on top of a building, shooting through a crowd, I'm sure it will be easier.'

Also, you'd think they would have thought of silver bullets by now, but no, silver grenades, yes, but not silver bullets.
Yeah. Silver grenades that might as well have a big cartoon neon clock timer attached to them that counts down from 10 once it hits the floor. It's especially annoying considering Del Toro is behind this, and he worked on Blade 2, and look at the weapons he had in it. It's just plain bad writing is what it is. OK, so you don't have silver bullets. Fine. Then don't put the the main characters and the bad guys in a situation where you have to make these ridiculous contrivances.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2015, 06:56:39 pm »
Loop holes in a vampire series, who would have thought ;)

Still is a pile of crap show, annoyed the kid is still around.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2015, 06:57:14 pm »
Yeah. Silver grenades that might as well have a big cartoon neon clock timer attached to them that counts down from 10 once it hits the floor. It's especially annoying considering Del Toro is behind this, and he worked on Blade 2, and look at the weapons he had in it. It's just plain bad writing is what it is. OK, so you don't have silver bullets. Fine. Then don't put the the main characters and the bad guys in a situation where you have to make these ridiculous contrivances.

It's something i've been ragging on for a while, there's way too many pointless confrontations between the good and the bad guys. If you come across Eichorst or The Master there should be some sense of helpless doom, rather than them being like Team Rocket blasting off again until they come back next week

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2015, 04:40:49 pm »
Loop holes in a vampire series, who would have thought ;)

Still is a pile of crap show, annoyed the kid is still around.
Be prepared for him to soon be even more fucking irritating than before ::) :o

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2015, 09:08:54 am »
They do have silver bullets. In the prison, the liberated prisoner looks in a clip and says "silver, nice".

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2015, 11:30:57 am »
They do have silver bullets. In the prison, the liberated prisoner looks in a clip and says "silver, nice".
Yes now they have them, provided by the ancient vampire lot. The old dude had enough time and sense to make silver grenades, carries a silver sword, but never thought to make bullets.

Yet another soap opera episode. All the feelings whoooaaa feelings and memories, oh the memories.

And the book, the fucking book, jesus could it be dragged out even longer please.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2015, 07:42:14 pm »
Just a quick on chaps...

Myself and my mate really enjoyed the forst series. He is bang up to date whereas Ive yet to start series 2. He has said its not the best but is ploughing on. I could do with dropping a couple of progs I watch as its getting silly the amount off TV I watch. So...has it gone downhill or should I crack on?
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2015, 08:22:55 pm »
Just a quick on chaps...

Myself and my mate really enjoyed the forst series. He is bang up to date whereas Ive yet to start series 2. He has said its not the best but is ploughing on. I could do with dropping a couple of progs I watch as its getting silly the amount off TV I watch. So...has it gone downhill or should I crack on?

I think it's noticeably decreased in quality this year, but i'm still just about enjoying it

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2015, 08:27:21 pm »
I think it's noticeably decreased in quality this year, but i'm still just about enjoying it

Thanks mate :wave

Didnt want to read through the thread in case I crack on and see spoilers.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: October 5, 2015, 11:03:52 am »
Been catching up on the second season in the past week, having finished the 2nd book a month ago, and currently working through the 3rd, I have to say, 90% of the changes/deviations from the source material are absolutely fucking atrocious. The season finale was last night and I spent most of it shaking my head at the changes, as I have the entire season.

Apart from introducing Quinlan and giving him a bit more to do, nearly every other change has been pointless. I was going to go through them all but I can't be arsed, what an awful adaptation, which makes it impossible for me to judge it on its own merits.

The worst of all of them for me is making Setrakian this secretive git, and not focusing on having Fet and Eph be almost like his disciples, and taking them under his wing. Eph and Setrakian barely interact, and Fet's more like a kid desperate to please, terrible stuff.

Speaking of, don't even get me started on that kid. No doubt a large portion of the blame falls on the writers for changing him into a moody little shit, but the permanent scowl and the way he's always tilting his head to one side, ugh, fuck off, some of the worst recasting I can ever recall.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #224 on: October 5, 2015, 02:58:52 pm »
Seen the first 2 episodes, got the rest on download.  Not sure if i can be arsed.  Are there any merits whatsoever in watching it?

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: October 5, 2015, 03:06:33 pm »
Seen the first 2 episodes, got the rest on download.  Not sure if i can be arsed.  Are there any merits whatsoever in watching it?

If you enjoy seeing (fairly) unique vampire action then it's worth it for that alone. It has a couple great characters in Quinlan and Fet

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: October 5, 2015, 08:35:41 pm »
Just watched the finale, it's like they go out their way to make the protagonists as unlikable as possible!! That fucking kid man.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #227 on: October 6, 2015, 12:06:46 am »

Spoiler
Just when i thought i couldn't hate the fucking little c*nt anymore than i do he gets the sexy latina killed. I probably hate him more than anybody in history, fictional or real life.
[close]
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #228 on: October 9, 2015, 05:59:51 pm »
Watched the season two opener last night...it's gonna be the same palaver throughout innit.....as to the kid...I remember him from The Neigbors...yeah...this isn't gonna work.  ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: October 9, 2015, 06:04:49 pm »
What an utter pile of piss. I finally watched the series finale.

Spoiler
Tell me again why she didn't kill the mother vampire? Oh yeah the kid screamed nooooooooooo! don't kill my mommy that is a monster that just wants a hug. Fuck sakes. I would have killed the mom, then turned the sword on the kid and gutted him like a fish. Pisses me off. I don't think I can watch the 3rd season. I don't think I have in it me.

As for the other bits of the finale, meh whatever.
[close]

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: October 9, 2015, 09:44:25 pm »
I really don't think this deserves to be renewed, although it probably already has.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2016, 04:03:55 pm »
I really don't think this deserves to be renewed, although it probably already has.
You'll be glad to know it's back with season three premiering on Sunday in America. ;D

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2016, 04:36:16 pm »
Indeed it is Sir! It's a load of fucking shite mind you! ;D ;D ;D ;D

On the flip side it's not nearly as disappointing as the film adaptation of Odd Thomas....that made me want to kill things!

I suppose from FX's pov, there's finite source material and they've wrapped a lot of shows up in the past couple of years (admittedly a few of them pure shite like!), so given it has a following and the numbers aren't too terrible it probably has a fairly lengthy bit of rope to dangle from.

FX has been pushing this hard, the promo on this series has been all over my feed for the past couple of weeks.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2016, 05:19:47 pm »
There's enough interest there for me to carry on with season 3, just about

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2016, 05:29:28 pm »
Watched the season two opener last night...it's gonna be the same palaver throughout innit.....as to the kid...I remember him from The Neigbors...yeah...this isn't gonna work.  ;D
Indeed it is Sir! It's a load of fucking shite mind you! ;D ;D ;D ;D

On the flip side it's not nearly as disappointing as the film adaptation of Odd Thomas....that made me want to kill things!

I suppose from FX's pov, there's finite source material and they've wrapped a lot of shows up in the past couple of years (admittedly a few of them pure shite like!), so given it has a following and the numbers aren't too terrible it probably has a fairly lengthy bit of rope to dangle from.

FX has been pushing this hard, the promo on this series has been all over my feed for the past couple of weeks.
That was as far as I got....enough.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2016, 06:26:49 pm »
Still getting over the 'dick plop'.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: August 27, 2016, 03:45:45 am »
You'll be glad to know it's back with season three premiering on Sunday in America. ;D
Oh.

Yay!...I suppose.

I'm not sure I've enough will power to go an watch last season's finale. I watched them all up until the second last one, and just said "fuck it". Odd place to give up, mind, but it was just such tepid shit.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: August 27, 2016, 05:08:30 pm »
Want to see where this goes / how it finishes.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #238 on: August 28, 2016, 06:14:31 pm »

already on kodi

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2016, 12:58:11 pm »
I'll keep watching this but yeah, been some stupid ass moments in this series.