Author Topic: The Stephen King thread  (Read 64003 times)

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
Re: The Stephen King thread
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »
which are your favourites, Boris?

MOON spells 'The Stand' everyone knows that!

I think that's his best. Moments of real horror, set against an epic backdrop and characters that you can believe in and care about. It's long but worth the ride.

He hit a real groove in the 70's and 80's. Nearly all of his books tapped into the zeitgeist in one way or another. Most of the film versions of his work don't do it justice but 'Carrie', 'Christine', 'Cujo', 'The Shining' or 'Salems Lot' all managed to hit the right buttons. I liked 'It' for the way he handled the transition between child and adult.

From his pure horror I'd say one of his lesser known, 'Pet Sematary' is one of his best, or at least creepiest. 'Misery' is another standout which worked really well as a film and also appealed to those who can't abide a fantastical subject matter in a novel.

Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2007, 03:22:08 pm »
From his pure horror I'd say one of his lesser known, 'Pet Sematary' is one of his best,

:o How scary was that book.  Good shout.
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2007, 04:31:27 pm »
In terms of scariness, I'd say Gerald's Game is the scariest.

Spoiler
When she wakes up in the middle of the night to see the "man" standing in the shadows in the corner, with the dog howling outside. God, that scared me for weeks. Just that line:

There was a man standing there
[close]
Yesterday's just a memory,
Tomorrow is never what it's supposed to be

Bob Dylan

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2007, 06:19:01 pm »
haven't read too many of King's books - loved Pet Sematary and have recently read Cell which I enjoyed
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2007, 07:13:37 pm »
Bit of a mixed bag but loved several of his books

Salem's Lot was my personal favourite...It, the Stand and Misery were also very good

Needful things and Pet Sematary were ok

Bag of Bones was a bag of shite though :P

But generally I would say I look out for his stuff

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2007, 07:58:01 pm »
Most of the good reads have already been mentioned...

King's short stories are phenomenal, and at a stroke you avoid one of the potential problems in his novels, over-writing.

Night Shift probably shades Skeleton Crew, but both are great reads...

for those with literary pretensions, King's On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft is a peek behind the fiction writer curtain, plenty of analysis and suggestions for both fiction and non-fiction authors, and also includes some harrowing accounts of King's getting hit by the drunk driver in Maine that almost ended his career/life.  freely discusses his drinking and cocaine problems and how that affected his work.

highly recommended and not read as frequently as his novels or anthologies...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2007, 10:09:39 pm »
Sometimes the books are entirely different to the movies, but if you want to follow his books there are so many class reads.
Favourite book and film will always be DEAD ZONE.
Wish you'd have started this last week, I would have mentioned Firestarter was on twice on one of the Sky channels.
Dark Half, Thinner, The Stand, Cujo and the The Shining were awesome. The part in The Shining when Jack has supposed to have been writing a novel for weeks and all he's done is write "all work and no play make Jack a dull boy" on hundreds of pages in different shaped text - classic pieice of work.
Hated Saloms Lot and Christine.
There's too much to list when it comes to SK

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2007, 06:29:31 am »
"No TV and no beer make Homer go crazy"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2007, 11:06:49 am »
CARRIE is on Film4, 11.25, Sat 17 Feb.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2007, 11:10:36 am »
CARRIE is on Film4, 11.25, Sat 17 Feb.

quality film that, have the dvd. Love all the split screen shots in it
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2007, 11:55:55 am »
Apart from Different Season's, which is King's best short story collection? I'm wanting to get into them

Bob Dylan

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2007, 12:03:16 pm »
Apart from Different Season's, which is King's best short story collection? I'm wanting to get into them

i would say night shift, includes the lawnmower man, children of the corn, graveyard shift, the boogeyman, among many others, most of which are also fantastic reads. Probably easier to scare a reader over 30 pages than 500

Everything's Eventual includes "The Little Sisters of Eluria" which tells of Rolands younger years, set after the events told in Wizard and Glass, and a very good story. Rest of the book wasnt great though

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2007, 12:29:43 pm »
i would say night shift, includes the lawnmower man, children of the corn, graveyard shift, the boogeyman, among many others, most of which are also fantastic reads. Probably easier to scare a reader over 30 pages than 500

Everything's Eventual includes "The Little Sisters of Eluria" which tells of Rolands younger years, set after the events told in Wizard and Glass, and a very good story. Rest of the book wasnt great though
Cheers mate. I've been putting off reading Stephen King lately because I never want a situation where I have no more King to read. But realised the other day that I still have Christine, Everything's Eventual, Night Shift, The Shining, The Dark Half and Nightmares and Dreamscapes to read.

Bob Dylan

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2007, 12:38:18 pm »
Go for the Shining next, it's a cracking read too.

Found a guy on ebay who sells all the King books in .pdf via email for a dollar each, I'll look it up for you again if you like? Haven't bought anything off him yet though, as like to have a copy, but I'm sure I will!!
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2007, 01:09:20 pm »
Just found this thread. I grew up with Stephen King, huge fan. Yes, he over writes, and tends to the sentimental but what stories.

Like some others, I love his short stuff. Different Seasons is just class. I mean, one book of four novellas gives up three movies, including two all time classics, Stand By Me and Shawshank.

Also, Night Shift and Skeleton Crew are excellent. One of my favourite short stories of all time (and I've read Maupassant) is Last Rung on the Ladder, which is in Night Shift. It's a desperately sad, sweet story with no horror or supernatural stuff whatsoever.

Another beauty is Mrs Todds Shortcut in Skeleton Crew, which is very romantic and not a little creepy. I think only King can do both in the same story.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the Bachman Books, a few shortish novels published together by King under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. They are thumping good reads, especially Rage, which does Columbine/Jeremy long before either of those two existed, and also The Long Walk, which is an absolutely peerless story.

An honourable mention also for Danse Macabre, a non fiction book about horror writing and movies, with a bit of sociology thrown in. Very enjoyable.

Offline chipbuttie

• Kopite
  • 5 times....... 'tis true
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2007, 01:17:33 pm »
I stopped reading around his 'It' and 'Tommyknockers' era. I loved 'The Stand', 'Firestarter', 'Pet Semetary' and 'Dead Zone'.

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2007, 01:59:06 pm »
I often wished King would write more non-horror stuff, like Different Seasons and Misery, without any paranormal. His plot lines sometimes went a little over the top (Dreamcatcher, Tommyknockers), only to be saved by the super storytelling.

On the other hand, going over the top is what storytelling is all about.

On a different note, one King novel I just could'nt finish was Dolores Claiborne - my only real dissapointment from King.

Bob Dylan

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2007, 02:01:28 pm »

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the Bachman Books, a few shortish novels published together by King under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. They are thumping good reads, especially Rage, which does Columbine/Jeremy long before either of those two existed, and also The Long Walk, which is an absolutely peerless story.

Thats another I must get my hands on. I've read Thinner, and enjoyed it, although most people don't like it.

Bob Dylan

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2007, 02:25:40 pm »
On a different note, one King novel I just could'nt finish was Dolores Claiborne - my only real dissapointment from King.

must say I really like that book. If ya want disappointment, read From A Buick 8. I think i've mentioned it already, but its a woeful effort.

Thats another I must get my hands on. I've read Thinner, and enjoyed it, although most people don't like it.

I liked that as well. It was completely over the top silly, but it entertained me! The Regulators was another good one. Pretty much the same book as Desperation, set in a different place!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2007, 03:12:08 pm »
The Bachman Books are great, if for nothing else than the endings are always downers, which makes a nice change. I would love to see The Running Man made true to the book.

Last year there was an 8 episode series called Nightmares and Dreamscapes that adapted short stories from various collections. It wasn't great, but probably worth checking our if you're a fan. I am terrible with names, but they did The Road Virus Heads North, Umney's Last Case, An end to the whole damn mess, I bet they have a hell of a band, Autopsy Room 5 (my favourite King short)...err..the one with the toy soldiers that come to life...and a couple of others.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2007, 04:39:29 pm »
If ya want disappointment, read From A Buick 8.
Yeah not a very good one. I found it lacked King's usual style, and plodded along too much

Bob Dylan

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2007, 05:27:18 pm »
What I didn't like is the fact he felt the need to keep reinterating that there was no conclusion. We get it!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2007, 11:24:25 pm »
Rhaegar21, I didn't miss that, classic Homer line..............but thats for another thread, weekend dad

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »
If anyone hasn't sen Secret Window you've got to see it. It's only a couple of years old but a modern day Stephen King classic.
Again, the main character is a writer......was it that about his characters. At least its not set in Maine USA.
WATCH IT

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2007, 02:07:28 am »
I got a question with regards to the fake identity creation thing in 'Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption'.  I know this is fiction, and 1950's Maine.  However, brilliant as Andrew Dufresne is, to what extent would it have been possible, in the 1950's, to create a fake identity (Andrew creates Peter Stevens as a hedge earlier in his career before being convicted of murder) and to vanish into nothingness?  By the way, the movie, is not as explicit on this and it pissed me off that they changed the fake name to Randall Stevens.

Are these type of things still possible these days?  Not in the US, from what I can see, especially since September 2001.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:23:37 am by Vinay »

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2007, 12:32:53 pm »
Wow, saw something really interesting in the Sunday Times here in South Africa. Stephen King's son, who writes under the name of Joe Hill (real name Joseph Hillstrom King), is set to have his first full novel published next month, a horror called Heart Shaped Box. Some have called it the greatest horror debut since Clive Barker's Damnation Game 20 years ago. He's already released a critically acclaimed short story collection called '20th century ghosts'.

King dedicated the Shining to Joseph, btw

Well, if its a case of like father like son, we've got someone to look forward to.

Bob Dylan

Offline tezmac

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2007, 05:49:22 pm »
Can't say i'm a great fan but remember enjoying Christene and needfull things
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2007, 11:33:08 pm »
Have read just about everything by King and the early stuff is definately the best.
I find myself buying his books now almost out of duty as some of them are pretty poor but still get a buzz whenever I see a new one.
  The Stand is quite simply the greatest book I have ever read and (without wanting to sound like some sort of pseudo critic) you almost feel you know the places and characters the way King describes them.
  Another aspect of Kings writing that is never touched on is the humour.I have found myself laughing out loud at some of his stuff,which is more than can be said for many books/films that are meant to be funny.

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2007, 06:16:09 am »
Another aspect of Kings writing that is never touched on is the humour.I have found myself laughing out loud at some of his stuff,which is more than can be said for many books/films that are meant to be funny.
Yeah thats very true. I've never found an author who makes me laugh or giggle like King does. His descriptions are sometimes hilarious.

Bob Dylan

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2007, 01:41:23 pm »
finally finished Cell, about 2 weeks after starting it. All I can say is  :boring

Was a poor book, no 2 ways about it. I think he tried to do another stand-like novel on a much smaller scale and it didnt work.

Looking at his last decade's work, only Black House and the concluding books of the Dark Tower series stand out. And they were both continuations of stories from the 1980s.

My favourite writer of all time, no doubt, but he does appear to have run out of material

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2007, 05:39:21 pm »
Bought Skeleton Crew yesterday at the local bookstore. They have Firestarter as well, and I'm tempted. . .

But I can kick myself. I'm from South Africa, but in December I was in London and went to Waterstones Piccadilly, who had pretty much every Stephen King ever made. But I bought some other stuff. Damn.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 05:41:10 pm by Rhaegar21 »

Bob Dylan

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2007, 06:14:22 pm »
But I can kick myself. I'm from South Africa,

Don't be so hard on yourself...

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2007, 06:24:00 pm »

or so limber, either...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2007, 11:21:52 am »
Love King. Definitely my favourite author. Even his bad books are much better than most of the stuff out there.

I have just finished Cell - not his best, possibly his worst - but I still had to keep turning the pages and some of it was beautifully written.

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2007, 11:23:39 am »
Love King. Definitely my favourite author. Even his bad books are much better than most of the stuff out there.

I have just finished Cell - not his best, possibly his worst - but I still had to keep turning the pages and some of it was beautifully written.

i thought it was dreadful myself, and based on the reviews i've read (havent read it myself yet) Lisey's Story is even worse.

Time to bring back Pennywise!

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2007, 04:29:55 pm »
I think lately King may subconciously be trying to please the critics by altering his style. Sadly for us fans, it isnt really worth it. We all want the swashbuckling King of the 80's. 

;) What can I say, its tough down here. And contrary to popular theory, the weather's crap, 30 degrees Celsius and humid every day. Give me the cold Liverpool weather anyday.

Bob Dylan

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2007, 04:35:06 pm »
King Confirms Dark Tower News

Stephen King, the prolific best-selling horror author, confirmed to New York Comic Con fans that Lost co-creators J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof will adapt his epic multi-volume book series The Dark Tower for the screen. "I said no to everybody until recently, because I didn't think much of the chances of it being a good movie," King said in a panel discussion launching Marvel Comics' new Dark Tower comic books at the New York City Comic Con on Feb. 24. "I mean, this is my life's work, since the time I was 22 years old. It's very important to me. Usually, with the other [books], I don't give much of a s--t. My attitude is, 'Go make a movie, and if it's good, that's terrific, and if it's bad, then it will go to the video stores and back shelves of Blockbuster, and I still get royalties on the book.'"

King also revealed that he even turned down an offer from his longtime collaborator, writer/director Frank Darabont, who previously adapted The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile and is at work on other King adaptations. "Frank did come to me, and I know Frank from before either one of us had a pot to piss in," King said. "Frank said, 'Gee, I'd like to do Dark Tower.' I said, 'Frank, give me a break! You've got The Mist, The Monkey. You've got the prison stories. ... Stop putting so much on your plate!'"

King, who is an avowed fan of Lost, only agreed to relinquish the film rights to The Dark Tower when Abrams (Mission: Impossible III) and Lindelof approached him. "I know J.J. Abrams' work and Damon Lindelof, who is his collaborator on Lost," King said. "Damon is just a total comic-book freak, and he loves the Dark Tower books. I trust those guys, and they have a lot on the ball. When they said they wanted to talk about doing this, I said, 'You know what? Why don't you buy the option on this and see what you can come up with.' They asked, 'How much do you want for an option?' I said, '$19.' [It's a key amount that comes up frequently in the books]. And that's what they paid me, and that's where it is." Marvel and King's Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born number one is available in stores now. —Tara DiLullo Bennett

:(

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2007, 04:57:11 pm »
its impossible to make that into a film. Will have to be a long running show, like Lost, to fit it all in,

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2007, 04:59:50 pm »
its impossible to make that into a film. Will have to be a long running show, like Lost, to fit it all in,
Yeah. Imagine trying to do the Drawing of the three in film, with all that mind talking, and the Odetta stuff. Will be really difficult, and will probably come out cheesy.

Bob Dylan

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2007, 05:01:56 pm »
Having said that, Roland's story of Mejis in Wizard and Glass would make a great stand alone film.

Bob Dylan