Author Topic: Xabi Alonso  (Read 332675 times)

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
Re: Xabi Alonso - new interview
« Reply #200 on: September 2, 2009, 01:48:12 am »
Alonso can go fuck himself.

Couldn't let Rafa's mistake or the 'lure' of Real Madrid go in favour of being a cornerstone of a dynasty.

Offline REDcrazy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #201 on: September 2, 2009, 02:01:51 am »
To be fair to Rafa, If he didn't try looking for a replacement for Alonso, I don't think we would have seen the Xabi we saw last year.

With the exception of his first season with us, Xabi has been sub-par the past seasons before last year and I think it's fair to say that the incident was what spurred him on to improve. It was a kick in the backside that he needed and that if it wasn't for that, Xabi would have had another poor year yet again.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: September 2, 2009, 02:29:26 am »
Alonso can go fuck himself. I don't think he was wrong to want a move, it was a major fuck up from Rafa and anyone who wanted to take their heads out of the sands in the first place could see that being willing to sacrifice one of the best players in Europe for an average honorary brummie, who plods along passing sideways, was going to have consequences.

Nevertheless, as much as I think Alonso was correct in feeling aggrieved, I know he knew what a good opportunity to win the league it was this year. He knew how much it meant to the fans, he knew that him going would be a huge blow on the eve of the season, and most importantly he knew what kind of status he would have achieved had he stayed around and bossed the midfield on it's way to 19. He still wanted Madrid.

Rafa fucked up in the first place, but Xabi was a cock in accepting that the situation was bigger than his and Rafa's disagreement.

Sick of hearing about him to be honest. He was an amazing player but he's gone. He's gone because he couldn't get over the fact that Rafa was wrong. You give the guy the benefit of the doubt but at the end of the day he was just bloody selfish. Couldn't let Rafa's mistake or the 'lure' of Real Madrid go in favour of being a cornerstone of a dynasty.

I'm sure in a few years I'll feel different and just remember what a stunning player he was, but for now I think he should shut the fuck up about his time at Liverpool 'cos he knows how much his departure could hurt the club this season.

This is all correct, but remember Rafa leaving Valencia. This is almost exact copy of that situation. Rafa, a fabulous manager, who won titles, was not appreciated by his bosses for once. Rafa leaves with tears in his eyes and later says that "he wanted a table but they bought me a lamp" or something.

This time around, its manager vs player. Alonso, a world class player, but never appreciated enough in England and even worse, by his own manager. I hear Rafa praising Gerrard and Torres, in fact, but why oh why he never praised Alonso as much for past season? Yes, their relationship got bad, and Rafa had a fucking entire season to fix it or try to do it. He was obviously busy praising Kuyt, Lucas etc. And Alonso probably saw that for the past season, his relationship with Rafa is not improving. Rafa wanted to sell him, he didn't like Alonso being with family=two cock ups. But Rafa was too proud to admit his mistake in public and may be even in private conversations.

That's when you have to leave your work place. That's what Rafa himself did, despite the fact that Valencia fans loved him. And despite the fact that, Valencia could win Champions League had Rafa stayed with that fantastic team.

I am deeply disappointed that Alonso left Liverpool. Especially since because he is one of my favorite players and he went to Madrid :(

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #203 on: September 2, 2009, 02:36:29 am »
any player if they get more money than they r earning right now, will think twice about the offer, no?
dont give me the shite that gerrard n torres wont, cos they would . if they wudnt then why renew their contract every year ???

The point is that he is using all these other peripheral issues as an excuse to mask the fact that his move was money motivated
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #204 on: September 2, 2009, 02:41:55 am »
This is all correct, but remember Rafa leaving Valencia. This is almost exact copy of that situation. Rafa, a fabulous manager, who won titles, was not appreciated by his bosses for once. Rafa leaves with tears in his eyes and later says that "he wanted a table but they bought me a lamp" or something.

This time around, its manager vs player. Alonso, a world class player, but never appreciated enough in England and even worse, by his own manager. I hear Rafa praising Gerrard and Torres, in fact, but why oh why he never praised Alonso as much for past season? Yes, their relationship got bad, and Rafa had a fucking entire season to fix it or try to do it. He was obviously busy praising Kuyt, Lucas etc. And Alonso probably saw that for the past season, his relationship with Rafa is not improving. Rafa wanted to sell him, he didn't like Alonso being with family=two cock ups. But Rafa was too proud to admit his mistake in public and may be even in private conversations.

That's when you have to leave your work place. That's what Rafa himself did, despite the fact that Valencia fans loved him. And despite the fact that, Valencia could win Champions League had Rafa stayed with that fantastic team.

I am deeply disappointed that Alonso left Liverpool. Especially since because he is one of my favorite players and he went to Madrid :(
or maybe Rafa was in a bind :

Not enough goals from midfield. One of Xabi or Mash had to go or become more mobile in the case of Xabi or dictate play more in the case of mash.  The board denied him the chance to have Barry, Xabi and Mash here to work out which one of Xabi or Mash should go.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline AlanK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #205 on: September 2, 2009, 02:42:26 am »

interesting post, but an awful lot of what you say is conjecture - how can you say Rafa underappreciated him or even that Rafa made a mistake for him to admit to in the first place? We have no way of knowing what really went on behind closed doors,  just as we have no way of knowing if Barry had been signed instead of Keane last season would we have finished higher.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 2, 2009, 02:46:33 am »
interesting post, but an awful lot of what you say is conjecture - how can you say Rafa underappreciated him or even that Rafa made a mistake for him to admit to in the first place? We have no way of knowing what really went on behind closed doors,  just as we have no way of knowing if Barry had been signed instead of Keane last season would we have finished higher.

Mate, give me 3 interviews where Rafa clearly says "Xabi is a leader of our team, he is world class". He very rarely praises his players, he thinks they are robots, it seems. Well, sometimes that's what you need to get your relationships back. He could claim Alonso was the best player in his position, no?

He specifically praises only Gerrard and Torres. And others, who are claimed to be shit by media at some point, like Kuyt, Lucas etc.

Most what you would get from Rafa is:
-He is an important player for us, and we know his quality.

So please, dig 2-3 interviews for past season, where Rafa came out to hail Alonso? Everybody does that with their best players, and Rafa could have done that. Yes, that would mean he would have admitted his mistake last summer, but Rafa is a stubborn bastard.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: September 2, 2009, 02:50:58 am »
or maybe Rafa was in a bind :

Not enough goals from midfield. One of Xabi or Mash had to go or become more mobile in the case of Xabi or dictate play more in the case of mash.  The board denied him the chance to have Barry, Xabi and Mash here to work out which one of Xabi or Mash should go.
See, changing Mascherano to another defensive midfielder would not alter your game plans, even if that replacement isn't as good as Mascherano. Mascherano is a pure destroyer. Rafa should have known that changing Alonso means changing game style.

Its like you saying what if Barca had to get rid of Toure or Xavi. Toure is a great player, younger than Xavi, but Xavi is 10 times more important to Barca. Same is true with Mascherano, a great player, younger than Alonso, but far less crucial, IMO.

I feel for Liverpool, because I thought last year Liverpool was superb. With 1-2 additions in crucial areas, which are wings for me, Liverpool could win the league. Robben, even if he's a massive c*nt, is much better than any wingers LFC has. May be even without additions, LFC could have won title. But the day I heard Alonso to Madrid transfer, I said that LFC has no chance. It is not even question of Xabi's individual qualities, it is just the fact that Liverpool will have a painful period of transition from one style to another. And points will be lost... crucial points.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2009, 02:54:52 am by Xxavi »

Offline offthemark

• Kopite
« Reply #208 on: September 2, 2009, 02:54:03 am »
The point is that he is using all these other peripheral issues as an excuse to mask the fact that his move was money motivated

who wont??

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #209 on: September 2, 2009, 03:07:13 am »
See, changing Mascherano to another defensive midfielder would not alter your game plans, even if that replacement isn't as good as Mascherano. Mascherano is a pure destroyer. Rafa should have known that changing Alonso means changing game style.

Its like you saying what if Barca had to get rid of Toure or Xavi. Toure is a great player, younger than Xavi, but Xavi is 10 times more important to Barca. Same is true with Mascherano, a great player, younger than Alonso, but far less crucial, IMO.

I feel for Liverpool, because I thought last year Liverpool was superb. With 1-2 additions in crucial areas, which are wings for me, Liverpool could win the league. Robben, even if he's a massive c*nt, is much better than any wingers LFC has. May be even without additions, LFC could have won title. But the day I heard Alonso to Madrid transfer, I said that LFC has no chance. It is not even question of Xabi's individual qualities, it is just the fact that Liverpool will have a painful period of transition from one style to another. And points will be lost... crucial points.
sure, but let's imagine we sold Mash, and kept Xabi - we'd still be short of goals from CM as Xabi doesn't provide them. It's possible Rafa NOW wanted someone like Xabi who could score 10 goals a season. Aquilani looks to have that capacity... time will tell. But  given the above scenario changing how the team plays a little in order to get extra goals from midfield and making it harder to man mark Gerrard seems a positive thing.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 2, 2009, 03:47:18 am »
sure, but let's imagine we sold Mash, and kept Xabi - we'd still be short of goals from CM as Xabi doesn't provide them. It's possible Rafa NOW wanted someone like Xabi who could score 10 goals a season. Aquilani looks to have that capacity... time will tell. But  given the above scenario changing how the team plays a little in order to get extra goals from midfield and making it harder to man mark Gerrard seems a positive thing.
I wish all the best to Aquiliani. I like Liverpool in England and I hate Chelsea and ManU. I dislike Arsenal strongly.

Optimism about Aquiliani is all good, but right now, he is being hyped up before he even did something of note. He was not a leader in Rome, I wonder how he could be one in Liverpool. Alonso was Real Sociedad's midfield general, while Alberto was somewhere in the third role behind Totti and De Rossi. And his injury record makes him only little better than Mark 'Speedy' Gonzales.

If 30 million pounds is great price for Alonso (for me its his actual price), then 20 million pounds is a bit too much. We will have to wait and see, but Rafa should have tried to get De Rossi instead.

Offline josemisuncle

• Kopite
« Reply #211 on: September 2, 2009, 04:08:08 am »
So, it DOES come down to bad man-management afterall.

You make it sound like Rafa wanted him to stay  ;)

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #212 on: September 2, 2009, 05:26:20 am »

Maybe.

But it was right on the eve of a massive game, and Rafa is paid to get results. A difficult situation, maybe not handled the best.

But as for going after Barry, Alonso had lost his edge, and he only found it again after that.

So - good man-management as well. Within a year, the player was worth £30m. It backfired in that we still need him, but had we won the title on the back of Xabi's form last season, it'd be labelled genius.

Genius?

Don't you mean a dance with death?

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: September 2, 2009, 05:53:02 am »
This is what I'm getting at. Those who are emotionally unstable (and that's what this is about, you not being able to reconcile your emotions with the real world that exists outside football) over the loss of a player seem to be scratching around for any reason beat Alonso over the head for determining his own future and that of his family.

Wasn't having a go at you directly KH, but there seems to be so much focus on what supporters understand (wages, formations, winning trophies, tactics) that you're actually dehumanising the whole issue and boiling it down to your own criteria. Who's to say there are not further private reasons that the player doesn't wish to discuss?

Alonso's only obligation to ticket buying supporters was to play with full commitment every time he played. He did that time and time again and gave us immense enjoyment. After that his destiny is his own and such a professional doesn't warrant some of the misguided criticism coming his way.

He was a fantastic servant to LFC. He's now gone so we all need to move on, just as we did when Owen left. Just as we did when Hansen retired. Just as we did when Keegan moved on. All different reasons, but all examples of players exercising their right to control their own career and personal life.

I ask you this - why is Alonso any different?

no, not much different.  his decision is understandable, just one of those things that almost has its own course. 

i just wished him stop talking about us - how amazing our support was, cos at the end of the day that support - we fans - meant so little  in the scheme of things.  He has feelings, well, as a fan who had him down as the favourite player since day one he joined the Club and who had so much longing for this 2009-2010 season, I have feelings too.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #214 on: September 2, 2009, 06:06:33 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHF5OvjAxgU

That's the main thing that I miss when thinking about Alonso.

Offline kKeLvInNn

• Main Stander
« Reply #215 on: September 2, 2009, 06:19:12 am »
Alonso can go fuck himself. I don't think he was wrong to want a move, it was a major fuck up from Rafa and anyone who wanted to take their heads out of the sands in the first place could see that being willing to sacrifice one of the best players in Europe for an average honorary brummie, who plods along passing sideways, was going to have consequences.

Nevertheless, as much as I think Alonso was correct in feeling aggrieved, I know he knew what a good opportunity to win the league it was this year. He knew how much it meant to the fans, he knew that him going would be a huge blow on the eve of the season, and most importantly he knew what kind of status he would have achieved had he stayed around and bossed the midfield on it's way to 19. He still wanted Madrid.

Rafa fucked up in the first place, but Xabi was a cock in accepting that the situation was bigger than his and Rafa's disagreement.

Sick of hearing about him to be honest. He was an amazing player but he's gone. He's gone because he couldn't get over the fact that Rafa was wrong. You give the guy the benefit of the doubt but at the end of the day he was just bloody selfish. Couldn't let Rafa's mistake or the 'lure' of Real Madrid go in favour of being a cornerstone of a dynasty.

I'm sure in a few years I'll feel different and just remember what a stunning player he was, but for now I think he should shut the fuck up about his time at Liverpool 'cos he knows how much his departure could hurt the club this season.

Very much how I see it. He was not wrong to move, but he could have at least given the club and the fans another season. Best fans in the world? He knew how much this year meant to the fans and he knew it would be a huge blow, yet he did exactly what he did, to exact revenge. He has gone down massively in my estimation.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #216 on: September 2, 2009, 06:23:31 am »
This topic is stuffed full of bitter jilted lovers.

Chin up you lot, there's more fish in the sea. Maybe you'll strike up a passionate relationship with the Italian who's being saying complimentary things about you ;)
Good one. :)
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #217 on: September 2, 2009, 06:26:37 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHF5OvjAxgU

That's the main thing that I miss when thinking about Alonso.

Ah well Garcia already moved on, so 2 out of 4 ain't bad   

Offline kopite_sg8

• Anny Roader
  • year-zero, clean slate blah blah blah ..
« Reply #218 on: September 2, 2009, 06:38:37 am »
miss him a lot these days
somewhere between a 'fsg-apologist' and a 'superfan'.

Offline kopite_sg8

• Anny Roader
  • year-zero, clean slate blah blah blah ..
« Reply #219 on: September 2, 2009, 06:39:29 am »
if only rafa dint try for barry last summer , things would have been alright
somewhere between a 'fsg-apologist' and a 'superfan'.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 2, 2009, 06:40:21 am »
Alonso can go fuck himself.

All seems acceptable now, but what if Real Madrid hadnt come this season to get him? He talks as if he had made up his mind, but I think this is more retrospection even for him. If there was no Real Madrid opportunity, there would be no move. What the fuck would he have done that.

You are right, he can go fuck himself.

We have Aquilani anyway, I am so looking forward to him.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 2, 2009, 06:41:15 am »
if only rafa dint try for barry last summer , things would have been alright

Yeah maybe he would have had another shitter season, and maybe Real Madrid wouldnt have come for him.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 2, 2009, 07:07:20 am »
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #223 on: September 2, 2009, 07:17:18 am »
If if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if.

He plays for Real Madrid now. Move along.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline mooks

• struggles with difficult concepts - must try harder 5/10
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #224 on: September 2, 2009, 07:18:43 am »

That makes no sense

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #225 on: September 2, 2009, 07:36:29 am »
Sorry Alan F but Rafa did not have to sell first to allow him to buy as before he ever sold Alonso or Arbeloa he shelled out 17m on Johnson.

Maybe but the Barry deal was done and dusted before we signed Johnson:

2nd June:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/02/manchester-city-gareth-barry-aston-villa

16th June:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5547977/Liverpool-to-sign-Glen-Johnson-for-18.5-million.html

A right back was essential as Arbeloa was definitely on his way out so the Johnson deal had to be done anyway.  The Arbeloa to Madrid was straightforward and Rafa was expecting Dossena to go as well to part fund the deal.

The Aquilani deal was obviously agreed before Xabi was sold to Madrid but couldn't be ratified until that deal was done.

So maybe you're right, maybe Rafa could have shot his wad on Barry before any other deals were agreed but where would that have left us? It would have left us with Barry bought and paid for by selling two full backs and our first choice replacement full back waiting for us to sell Alonso. Suppose we hadn't agreed a fee with Madrid (which is quite possible)... we'd have had both Xabi and Barry and be short a right back while Johnson would have fucked off to a team that really wanted him. Sorry but that would have been fucking ridiculous.

Having Aquilani lined up for Alonso gave us all the aces. We were ok whatever happened. If Xabi stays we're fine and only if he goes do we need to do the Aquilani deal. Buying Barry first and having to buy a new right back would have handed all the cards to Real Madrid - we'd have been lucky to get anywhere near £20m fro him in thise circumstances.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #226 on: September 2, 2009, 07:42:40 am »
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #227 on: September 2, 2009, 07:56:38 am »

No it isn't. Rafa left Valencia because he wasn't allowed to do his job as manager. Let's face it, if he was some soft tart who walked out because he "wasn't appreciated" he'd have been on a plane out of Liverpool ages ago.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline kunaldua

• Main Stander
  • Red Indian
    • Laziness, Impatience, Hubris.
« Reply #228 on: September 2, 2009, 08:13:13 am »
A player was performing like shite for 2 seasons. The manager, short of funds and without any other option really, decides to sell this player and bring in a replacement. A price X was agreed to be the value of this player. The deal for the replacement falls through and the player stays at the club. He, perhaps taking this as a kick on the backside, goes on to have his best season yet. He decides to leave the club and the club gets 2.5X.

So, in effect, a player goes from having 2 shite (albeit injury plagued) seasons to his best season ever, goes for more than double the price and helps us to a great season. Yeah, I can see how this is down to Rafa's "poor man-management"  ::)
Real time text (SMS) "in-game" updates for all Liverpool Games. For Free. Premier League and Champions League both.

All other EPL teams too. Spread the word!

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #229 on: September 2, 2009, 08:26:17 am »
who wont??

Someone with the honesty and intergrity Liverpool fans seemed to think Alonso had. I certainly wouldn't do that, its just wrong.

I still can't believe some people are trying to make out that Xabi had some reason for feeling aggrieved. He has basically admitted that the only reason he played his best season for Liverpool was to put himself in the shop window. If thats not a mercenary then I don't know what is. If anything it totally justifies the manager's decision to try and sell him last summer because he was underperforming.
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 2, 2009, 08:56:02 am »
Is it only me then think he will comeback after a season or two bored with them lot?

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: September 2, 2009, 08:57:26 am »

Rafa isn't perfect and he's not beyond criticism. But he's one of the top ten managers in the game and we're lucky to have him.

i think in terms of tactics, hes peerless.. overall i rate him among the top three and wont swap him for anyone else..

i think people who criticise rafa's handling of alonso (lack of public support, trying to sell him etc) seem to have forgotten that rafa was the one who brought him to liverpool and was the one he gave instructions to most frequently on the field.. not gerrard, not torres..

xabi is not the kind of player who needs to be reassured constantly and having a "professional relationship" actually means rafa and xabi are both on the same wavelength and are similarly character wise..

xabi has the right to choose his career path and probably being a father makes him think more about his family and hence his move to madrid..
White liquid in a bottle. It's milk, for sure.

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #232 on: September 2, 2009, 09:06:30 am »
Is it only me then think he will comeback after a season or two bored with them lot?

Not me, won't even remember him in a months time anyway.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
« Reply #233 on: September 2, 2009, 09:08:19 am »
Ah, the modern game....

Where modern supporters allow certain players to be bigger than the manager.

To any sane football person, no Liverpool player should be more important than Rafa Benitez so it certainly is time to stop whinging about whose fucking fault it is and remember that you actually support Liverpool FC.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #234 on: September 2, 2009, 09:10:04 am »
The Gareth Barry thing is hard to defend. Bad mistake by the gaffa. Then playing Plessis instead of Alonso at Sunderland put the cap on it. Their relationship must have been fucked after that.  Fortunately Alonso is a professional and he gave us his best in his last season. Christ, if he'd played in a few of those 0-0 draws we might have won it.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #235 on: September 2, 2009, 09:27:11 am »
Not me, won't even remember him in a months time anyway.
That's just a little bit pathetic if you're being serious.

One other thing I've not yet seen having been mentioned is that aside from the poor man management of Xabi by Rafa and how it made the former seek pastures new, there's also the fact that Rafa also spectacularly misjudged the character of that average utility player he so lusted after. All that bleating last summer "I wanna play Champions League footie, me" not once did Gareth fucking Barry mention what it would mean to him to play for a club like Liverpool, the history, etc. I said it back then that I thought he sounded a mercenary and so it proved a year later. You'd think if Rafa was so hell-bent on bringing Barry in, he'd of at least been sure the player wanted to play for Liverpool FC. Talk about misjudging character, not to mention the consequences. Even Ged had the good sense to boot Bowyer when it became clear he was a prick who had no hunger beyond his pay packet.

Utimately the Rafa-Xabi thing, it was like having a gorgeous and talented wife at home and yet you still get tempted by some slapper at work, out of boredom mostly. You don't follow it through as it turns out said slapper is a real bitch and a wallet vampire (what the fuck were you thinking?!) and is also having it away with that tosser in Accounts not to mention god knows who else, but it's too late....your wife has seen 'that' text, and before you know it, she's at her parents, there's a solicitor's letter on the doormat, the joint account is frozen and you're fucked. Even the slapper won't give you the time of day anymore, she's moved on. And for what? A bizarre unfulfilled fetish that you must have been insane to pursue in the first place.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #236 on: September 2, 2009, 09:30:38 am »
The Gareth Barry thing is hard to defend. Bad mistake by the gaffa. Then playing Plessis instead of Alonso at Sunderland put the cap on it. Their relationship must have been fucked after that.
That was indefensible, and I remember thinking then "uh oh". Whatever the reason, pettiness, annoyance, genuine desire to develop Plessis (hmmm), it was still a very bad call. Adding insult to injury.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 2, 2009, 09:33:03 am »
Ah the summer of 2008...The most dreafull 3 months in modern Liverpool history, bar 2002...

Spent 38m on 2 complete failures, 2 backup players and one ok left attacking midfielders. Proceeded to waste 3 months chasing an overpriced, overrated, glorified utilty man and pissing off the classiest central midfielder we've had since Jan Molby.

Repercussions are still being felt today and will continue to be felt for a while.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 2, 2009, 09:45:20 am »

Someone with the honesty and intergrity Liverpool fans seemed to think Alonso had. I certainly wouldn't do that, its just wrong.

Xabi is a career footballer therefore like any other professional in any other job he looks get the best out of his job. If that means moving for better opportunities, better money or better conditions for his family then so be it.

Why should we expect our players to have the same emotional ties to the club as supporters, yes, they should give their very best and look to improve their skills etc whilst here but don't castigate them for moving on especially if that move involves playing for the top club in their native country

Who really knows why Xabi moved on apart from him and Rafa? As mere supporters we can only speculate on club business. Even when we read posts purporting to present the facts a large bag of salt should be kept at hand

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: September 2, 2009, 09:46:06 am »
To any sane football person, no Liverpool player should be more important than Rafa Benitez.
Usually I'd agree with you. The manager has to be the main man, and deserves the backing of the fans when tackling players' egos.

But Benitez fell out with Alonso over the player attending the birth of his first child. That's fucking ridiculous! Imagine your manager at work had a go at you because you wanted time off for that. I wouldn't happen.

Then he tried to replace him with Gareth Barry as a result. I don't know anyone who, when they heard that we were going after Barry and selling Alonso, thought "nice one, that's exactly what we have to do". The reaction ranged from "hmmm, funny one, oh well you have to trust Rafa" to "what the fuck? that's a load of bollocks".

And it was a load of bollocks.

I'm not buying into this theory that the whole team is playing badly because Alonso is gone. He was only one player, and the 4-1 at Old Trafford showed that we can play alright without him. BUT, he was and is the best deep-lying midfield playmaker in the world, and he belonged at Liverpool. Benitez managed that situation disastrously.