Author Topic: Nat Phillips  (Read 237113 times)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Nat Phillips
« Reply #1480 on: April 11, 2021, 02:06:52 am »
Right now? Quite a few beers. When I saw this happening? Now many. There's a reason why teams target the right side of our defence.

Read your post again :)

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1481 on: April 11, 2021, 01:05:19 pm »
Read your post again :)

No need to wine about it, Terp...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1482 on: April 11, 2021, 02:16:33 pm »
No need to wine about it, Terp...

hey man - I'm just suttering at home with nothing to do but make puns.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1483 on: April 11, 2021, 02:18:05 pm »
hey man - I'm just suttering at home with nothing to do but make puns.

all sorts of witticisms fermenting, eh?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #1484 on: April 11, 2021, 03:06:32 pm »
Next step for Nat: Bullet header on Wednesday in 90th min making it 2-0, and a royal salute, tribute to the watching Sergio Ramos
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Online The Real Rasta

• Leave Ronaldo alone!!!!!
  • Kopite
« Reply #1485 on: April 11, 2021, 03:26:36 pm »
I'm really not seeing this. I'm seeing the guy who forced Alisson into a risky situation where he had to use his own skill to clear their forward. Im seeing the man who gets  beat easily one on one, especially when tight, I'm sering the man who gave two very easy one on one's with Alisson. I cant be the only wine who sees just how poor he is at the highest level?
You're not, I think it's the reverse effect of one of RAWK's favorite tropes that if he had a foreign name everyone would love him. Nat has pleasantly surprised beyond all expectations, performed admirably, helped bring some stability to the back and I think he's shown himself to be a couple levels above where I thought he was (where everyone thought if we are all prepared to be honest with ourselves  ;D ) and he can play in this league. But it's painfully obvious to me at least that he isn't our level and doesn't suit what we want from a cb and we should capitalize in the summer when his value is likely to be as high as it ever will be.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #1486 on: April 11, 2021, 04:13:29 pm »
Kabak is mikes ahead of Phillips and has been the better player since they both got in the team. Phillips has been brilliant for his level but should not and will not be hear next season

Complete bollocks this
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1487 on: April 11, 2021, 08:10:45 pm »
You're not, I think it's the reverse effect of one of RAWK's favorite tropes that if he had a foreign name everyone would love him. Nat has pleasantly surprised beyond all expectations, performed admirably, helped bring some stability to the back and I think he's shown himself to be a couple levels above where I thought he was (where everyone thought if we are all prepared to be honest with ourselves  ;D ) and he can play in this league. But it's painfully obvious to me at least that he isn't our level and doesn't suit what we want from a cb and we should capitalize in the summer when his value is likely to be as high as it ever will be.
Agree entirely.  I'm delighted he's doing well, not least because we desperately needed *someone* who could play CB.

He does what he does well but he's very limited and his limitations are problematic for how we play.  First and foremost he's not mobile and his position frequently requires him to not only play as a high line CB but also cover the right back area.  His passing range and vision are both very limited and that really showed when Villa started to press us in the final 20 minutes.

If we can get someone to bid £10m+ for Nat in the summer then we should definitely accept it.  Arguably he could be worth more looking at the prices Man U paid for Maguire and Everton paid for Keane or the prices quoted for Tarkowski.  That's all clubs looking to fleece a big spender though and realistically Nat is not going to be attracting those kinds of clubs.  More likely it might be a team like Burnley looking to replace Tarkowski and bank £20m in the process.

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1488 on: April 12, 2021, 07:06:22 am »
I'm not sure about that at all, but I do think that Klopp would probably prefer to keep Kabak next season than Phillips. Personally, I'd probably keep Phillips if it came to a choice - he is just insanely good in the air, whereas Kabak isn't insanely good at anything. I'd personally keep them both, though.

VVD
Gomez
Kabak
Phillips

Would be a solid enough choice at CB, for different types of games.

I would be happy with those if Matip, or a similar quality player who is less injury prone, was here. The truth is, our two best defenders are coming back from injuries, so we may need more choice than ever before.

I would still go Kabak over Phillips to be honest, but Nat has made it a hard choice. I think he'd fetch a pretty penny if we decided to sell though.

Online PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1489 on: April 12, 2021, 12:37:54 pm »
Overall I think he's better than Kabak to be honest. Kabak has been better recently but I really don't see what makes him special. He's not particularly strong, fast, or great at positioning. Phillips at least you can easily tell he's only second to VVD in the air. If I have to choose I'd keep Phillips. Might as well save the money for other positions.

That said if his play is deemed not suitable to us, I'd be happy to let him go. A player of his quality deserves regular minutes jn some PL sides rather than sitting on our bench. See Connor Coady for example.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1490 on: April 12, 2021, 03:06:41 pm »
Overall I think he's better than Kabak to be honest. Kabak has been better recently but I really don't see what makes him special. He's not particularly strong, fast, or great at positioning. Phillips at least you can easily tell he's only second to VVD in the air. If I have to choose I'd keep Phillips. Might as well save the money for other positions.

That said if his play is deemed not suitable to us, I'd be happy to let him go. A player of his quality deserves regular minutes jn some PL sides rather than sitting on our bench. See Connor Coady for example.
They're very different. Phillips is more of an old school stopper with a purely defensive skillset, whereas Kabak has more to his all round game - less aerially dominant but certainly a better passer and shows more front-foot capabilities with interceptions. Ultimately, they would compliment one another in a different type of set up, but it's never going to work long term with the pair whilst we play the way we do.

It's also worth noting that Kabak has just turned 21 and Phillips is 24. Big age gap in terms of centre halves and their typical development curves. I can see an argument for keeping Phillips round as he's homegrown, but for his own career I think a move to a decent Premier League team would be good. I could easily see him doing well at a Burnley or similar profile club, and we were talking a couple of million for him in the summer, now he'd maybe fetch £10m or so?

He's raised his profile, done really well and exceeded expectations during an extremely testing period. Fair play to the lad. Wish him all the best whether he moves on with our blessing or we decide he's worth keeping around as a fourth/fifth choice homegrown player. Whether Nat will settle for that after starting games at Anfield and in the Champions League, who knows. Would be nice for the lad to feel the warmth the fans have for him with an appearance at an at least partially filled Anfield before the season ends.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1491 on: April 12, 2021, 03:14:17 pm »
I'm not sure about that at all, but I do think that Klopp would probably prefer to keep Kabak next season than Phillips. Personally, I'd probably keep Phillips if it came to a choice - he is just insanely good in the air, whereas Kabak isn't insanely good at anything. I'd personally keep them both, though.

VVD
Gomez
Kabak
Phillips

Would be a solid enough choice at CB,
for different types of games.

:duh

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1492 on: April 14, 2021, 09:54:17 pm »
Can stand with his head held high tonight. Thought he was excellent. Calm on the ball, won every header, and just looked a very good defender.

May not fit here ultimately, but he will find his place somewhere in the PL.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1493 on: April 14, 2021, 09:55:28 pm »
Can stand with his head held high tonight. Thought he was excellent. Calm on the ball, won every header, and just looked a very good defender.

May not fit here ultimately, but he will find his place somewhere in the PL.

He's never let us down.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1494 on: April 14, 2021, 09:55:52 pm »
He was excellent again with kabak. Should have played months ago.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1495 on: April 14, 2021, 09:56:03 pm »
Apart from getting tackled on the half way line because he's so slow, leading to them hitting the post you mean?

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1496 on: April 14, 2021, 09:57:01 pm »
Thought he was brilliant tonight, that one error aside.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1497 on: April 14, 2021, 09:57:58 pm »
Had a great game. Was solid (minus one moment!)

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1498 on: April 14, 2021, 09:58:27 pm »
Think his summer valuation just went up a bit.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1499 on: April 14, 2021, 09:58:55 pm »
People talk about some of our superstars being "scapegoats" after being shit for months, but this fella is the ultimate scapegoat.

Easy target given his appearance and agricultural style but he's been generally excellent both in application and passing out of defence. If he'd been given a bit more trust and respect earlier in the season then we wouldn't have had to decimate our own midfield.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1500 on: April 14, 2021, 09:59:11 pm »
We know his skill set but tonight the finer skills passing and touch were excellent. Kids got a future.
Football is a lie

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #1501 on: April 14, 2021, 09:59:28 pm »
When the hell did he learn to pass like that?
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1502 on: April 14, 2021, 09:59:41 pm »
He got done over the top by Vinicus again. Was fortunate not to get two yellow cards. Played to the best of his ability but he simply has got too many limitations. Great character but simply not quick enough at this level.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1503 on: April 14, 2021, 10:00:02 pm »
Brilliant. Really surprised by the quality of his passing too.

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #1504 on: April 14, 2021, 10:00:07 pm »
Just a shame he doesn't have more mobility. He's got the heart of a lion.
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1505 on: April 14, 2021, 10:01:06 pm »
He got done over the top by Vinicus again. Was fortunate not to get two yellow cards. Played to the best of his ability but he simply has got too many limitations. Great character but simply not quick enough at this level.

Not as if every good team plays with a high line though. Sami and Carra weren't quick.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1506 on: April 14, 2021, 10:01:42 pm »
What a game, his passing has improved tenfold also.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #1507 on: April 14, 2021, 10:02:27 pm »
Wouldn't mind keeping him as the 4th choice CB next season. He's been really good for us.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1508 on: April 14, 2021, 10:05:20 pm »
Not as if every good team plays with a high line though. Sami and Carra weren't quick.

The game has moved on though.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1509 on: April 14, 2021, 10:07:08 pm »
The game has moved on though.

Even then the best cbs of that time were Ferdinand and Nesta for a reason, pace is incredibly valuable in every sport.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1510 on: April 14, 2021, 10:07:51 pm »
Apart from getting tackled on the half way line because he's so slow, leading to them hitting the post you mean?
We've conceded chances before due to faults in Gomez's game. (Some of his faults are Phillips' strengths btw). A lot of chances comes from a player not doing something good enough. Every player has strengths and weaknesses. I don't think anyone is saying he's perfect.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1511 on: April 14, 2021, 10:09:36 pm »
Immense tonight

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1512 on: April 14, 2021, 10:13:00 pm »
We've conceded chances before due to faults in Gomez's game. (Some of his faults are Phillips' strengths btw). A lot of chances comes from a player not doing something good enough. Every player has strengths and weaknesses. I don't think anyone is saying he's perfect.

The only thing he has over Gomez is his aerial ability, but agree Phillips could be a decent squad player here regardless.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1513 on: April 14, 2021, 10:13:04 pm »
Played well tonight I thought. Doesn’t always look fully comfortable but passed it well and won most of his battles (he’s never going to win them all at this level).

For someone so dominant in the air though, he’s really no threat from our corners which is a shame.

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #1514 on: April 14, 2021, 10:14:56 pm »
His passing has really surprised me. He passes quickly through the lines very well indeed. Even sprays the odd long ball accurately.
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1515 on: April 14, 2021, 10:15:55 pm »
Played well tonight I thought. Doesn’t always look fully comfortable but passed it well and won most of his battles (he’s never going to win them all at this level).

For someone so dominant in the air though, he’s really no threat from our corners which is a shame.
Was thinking the same when we lumped in about our 10th corner and a Real head once again met it.  I think his dominance in the air is a lot about his strength and using it to manoeuvre himself into the optimum position to win the ball (or lever his opponent out the way!) - not really that useful on corners where leaping like a salmon is needed.

Offline RedEire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1516 on: April 14, 2021, 10:16:57 pm »
Great effort by the lad tonight. Has come on do much
 Hope we keep him instead of spending money on kabak.
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine.Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1517 on: April 14, 2021, 10:19:56 pm »
Brilliant again.well done lad ..

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #1518 on: April 14, 2021, 10:20:27 pm »
Baller.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #1519 on: April 14, 2021, 10:22:44 pm »
I could watch that clip of him running straight through those two RM defenders at that corner in the first half all day. He absolutely burst the two of them. "COMING THROUGH!!"  :D