Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1231682 times)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #240 on: March 10, 2012, 11:30:37 pm »
this is it.... (has a few eps on youtube too)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Z09bNgSeMI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0Z09bNgSeMI</a>

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: March 10, 2012, 11:37:52 pm »
Firs two episodes of Awake have been top notch.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: March 10, 2012, 11:39:44 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Z09bNgSeMI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0Z09bNgSeMI</a>

Trada mentioned that the other day.  It looks fucking ace, really have to get on that.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #243 on: March 10, 2012, 11:52:33 pm »
Firs two episodes of Awake have been top notch.

Seen the first one and liked it, will check out the second one tonight.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #244 on: March 11, 2012, 01:34:59 am »
Trada mentioned that the other day.  It looks fucking ace, really have to get on that.

Looks like that will either be pure class or utter garbage....hoping for the former!

Is the narrator the dude out of IT Crowd?

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #245 on: March 11, 2012, 09:38:29 am »
Looks like that will either be pure class or utter garbage....hoping for the former!

Is the narrator the dude out of IT Crowd?
its brilliant, there are 2 episodes out already, and a bonus into episode (so 3 really).

this is their youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/dinosaurworldwide

the narrator sounds like the IT crowd/Dark Place lad, but it aint him

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #246 on: March 11, 2012, 11:25:48 am »
If you're looking for a great drama, there's plenty out there from the last few years for you to sink your teeth into.

Breaking Bad - the best drama on telly. Heart-attack inducing tension, superbly acted.

Justified - the coolest show on TV. Based on an Elmore Leonard short story, so no surprise the dialogue is fantastic with some great characters.

Chuck - my favourite show. Light-weight in comparison to the other dramas here, but it's just so much fun. Just finished its fifth and final season in the US.

Friday Night Lights - far more than a high-school drama about an American Football team. Heart-breaking.

Honourable mentions to Homeland and Game Of Thrones, the two best new shows of 2011. Loved Borgen also.

And if you're looking for something a little further back: Deadwood, BSG, Mad Men.

If you're looking for a great comedy, look no further than Parks & Recreation, Community or Louie.

Real shame you couldn't get into The West Wing. That and The Wire top my best drama ever list.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:29:16 am by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #247 on: March 11, 2012, 01:33:38 pm »
For brand new ones, get on Awake.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Mikeebee

• Legacy Fan
  • You've won a Blankety Blank Cheque Book & Pen
« Reply #248 on: March 11, 2012, 08:18:33 pm »
If you're looking for a great drama, there's plenty out there from the last few years for you to sink your teeth into.

Breaking Bad - the best drama on telly. Heart-attack inducing tension, superbly acted.

Justified - the coolest show on TV. Based on an Elmore Leonard short story, so no surprise the dialogue is fantastic with some great characters.

Chuck - my favourite show. Light-weight in comparison to the other dramas here, but it's just so much fun. Just finished its fifth and final season in the US.

Friday Night Lights - far more than a high-school drama about an American Football team. Heart-breaking.

Honourable mentions to Homeland and Game Of Thrones, the two best new shows of 2011. Loved Borgen also.

And if you're looking for something a little further back: Deadwood, BSG, Mad Men.

If you're looking for a great comedy, look no further than Parks & Recreation, Community or Louie.

Real shame you couldn't get into The West Wing. That and The Wire top my best drama ever list.

Breaking bad, great watching stopped watching after season 1 lost interest, but decided to give it another shot, it's great.
Justified, Highly recommend this, some great lines in it, good stories.
Chuck, I got bored with after season 3 or 4 started out interesting and fun.
Friday Night Lights, not watched, not really interested in it.

Homeland, Game of Thrones, sheer awesomeness.

Agree with others who have recommended Awake, really liking this. Touch, I'm not sure about.
Other stuff I'm watching, Person of Interest and Archer.

Person of Interest is good, vigilante big brother stuff.
Archer is...... Archer, Secret Agent spoof, lots of sarcasm, just read the thread, it's truly wonderful TV.
JFT 96 YNWA
@mikeebee7

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: March 11, 2012, 09:50:15 pm »

what's that^

Offline ThePointGuard

• Boys Pen
« Reply #250 on: March 12, 2012, 02:55:03 pm »
MAD MEN. I will never not recommend this to anyone. Watched the first three episodes a few months ago and thought it was too slow. Picked it  back up again recently, and once you get five or six in its fantastic. Just have to be patient with it.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #251 on: March 20, 2012, 01:56:53 pm »
MAD MEN. I will never not recommend this to anyone. Watched the first three episodes a few months ago and thought it was too slow. Picked it  back up again recently, and once you get five or six in its fantastic. Just have to be patient with it.

Agree with this.

Starts again next week.

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: March 21, 2012, 10:17:24 am »

Thought it might wear off, but still enjoying it after 4 episodes.

"And don't forget...kill Hitler"
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #253 on: March 21, 2012, 10:24:09 am »
I recently learnt about Burn Notice and have watched 4 out of 5 season in like 2 weeks, it's so good, gonna try out "Chuck" too as that seems up my street!

Another favourite is White Collar.

So much good TV atm!!!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #254 on: March 21, 2012, 11:34:33 am »

Agree on most of those that I've seen. I'm going to pick up The West Wing and Deadwood, the only ones I haven't seen. Only seen two episodes of Community on a flight, but didn't think they were funny. You should add Arrested Development and The Office (US) to this list.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Red in Korea

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: March 21, 2012, 11:41:05 am »
Agree on most of those that I've seen. I'm going to pick up The West Wing and Deadwood, the only ones I haven't seen. Only seen two episodes of Community on a flight, but didn't think they were funny. You should add Arrested Development and The Office (US) to this list.

Keep going a bit with Community - I didn't think much of it after the first few episodes, but got hooked not long after that.

Chuck is good fun, but doesn't really rank alongside the grest TV shows listed here.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #256 on: March 21, 2012, 11:50:36 am »
Keep going a bit with Community - I didn't think much of it after the first few episodes, but got hooked not long after that.

Chuck is good fun, but doesn't really rank alongside the grest TV shows listed here.
It's got such universal praise that I think I will revisit and watch it properly, not groggily and fidgety 13 hours into a sleepless flight. Chuck I've never seen, but it is on my list. Most seem to enjoy it without it being too heavy. Sometimes, that's all you want. I know that sometimes I can't be bothered to sit down and invest myself in a drama. Bit of comedy is appropriate then. Comedy is light from a lot of people's lists.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: March 21, 2012, 12:38:09 pm »
I'm caught up on House of Lies, ten episodes out so far, two more to come for this season. It's a decent show, worth a watch. Especially if you've worked in a corporate environment.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #258 on: March 21, 2012, 01:20:20 pm »
I recently learnt about Burn Notice and have watched 4 out of 5 season in like 2 weeks, it's so good, gonna try out "Chuck" too as that seems up my street!

Another favourite is White Collar.

So much good TV atm!!!
Burn Notice is great.Good cast,good storyline's.Oh yeah,Gabrielle Anwar. 8)
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #259 on: March 27, 2012, 09:32:32 am »
Just watched the first episode of Smash and really enjoyed it going to download the rest of the series.

"Smash" is a musical drama that celebrates the beauty and heartbreak of the Broadway theater as it follows a cross-section of dreamers and schemers who all have one common desire -- to be a "Smash."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5mwHDfl_GIE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5mwHDfl_GIE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Red in Korea

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: March 27, 2012, 11:37:58 am »
Just watched the first episode of Smash and really enjoyed it going to download the rest of the series.

I knew this wasn't going to be my cup on tea within the first 5 minutes and switched off. I'm willing to be proved wrong, but I'm guessing most people will say it's a pile of poo.

Offline Chinbits

• Has a Purpoise in life
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Factor 3rd Place WINNER
« Reply #261 on: March 27, 2012, 11:51:21 am »
I'm on the opening show of the new series of Dinner Date starting next month
Hold a powerful magnet against your stomach and then run it up your body until it's under your chin.

While wearing your mum's skin as a hat.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2012, 12:19:36 pm »
I knew this wasn't going to be my cup on tea within the first 5 minutes and switched off. I'm willing to be proved wrong, but I'm guessing most people will say it's a pile of poo.

I've always been a sucker for this type of thing after seeing Bob Fosses all that Jazz when I was young mind you I can't see them doing Take off with us/Air-otica on the show.

"Wait it's not over yet, The lights go down"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vSHnK4dvi3w?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vSHnK4dvi3w?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2012, 01:29:24 pm »
Mad men is back on.

Offline Red in Korea

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: March 28, 2012, 06:21:42 am »
Anyone watching 'Missing' with Ashley Judd? Looks interesting - haven't watched it yet.

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: March 29, 2012, 10:35:52 pm »
Anyone watch Community? Started watching it a few nights ago, mixed it up with Parks & Recreation (what I intended to start watching) but found this show entertaining and funny.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2012, 10:42:56 pm »
If you're into Sci-Fi then you should be watching Fringe. Phenomenal show and John Noble deserves an Emmy for his performance. You're late to the party as this is it's fourth (and possibly last) season, but I highly recommend the DVDs. Or check it out live; it could use the extra eyeballs.
Justice For The 96

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #267 on: March 29, 2012, 11:02:59 pm »
If you're into Sci-Fi then you should be watching Fringe. Phenomenal show and John Noble deserves an Emmy for his performance. You're late to the party as this is it's fourth (and possibly last) season, but I highly recommend the DVDs. Or check it out live; it could use the extra eyeballs.

Agreed. Great show
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: March 30, 2012, 04:10:19 pm »
Just watched the first episode of Touch and I highly reccommend it, such a clever show and it is amazing how all the characters seem to connect in some way. My other favourites are The Wire, Lost, 24, Game of Thrones, Homeland and Person of Interest.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2012, 05:37:55 pm »
For those that missed it,Braquo,a French cop series,like The Shield.Brilliant tv,as good as Engrenages,Spiral. Return's to FX,for season 2, 29th of April@ 10pm.

Best show on the tv this summer.

I think FX are planning to show season 1 before the new series start's.Keep an eye out for it.It really is good.

http://fxuk.com/shows/braquo/about

According to that link it's on Tuesday,April the 3rd
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:08:30 pm by dave 5516 »

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #270 on: March 30, 2012, 10:18:25 pm »
Cheers for that

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: March 31, 2012, 01:12:46 pm »
Just spotted the first episode of this online...anyone seen it yet? Offer any insights?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1832045/
Magic City

Also has anyone ben following Awake? It's score on IMDB seems to have rocketed since the first time I looked? Is it any good?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: March 31, 2012, 02:33:56 pm »
Only one episode of Magic City has been on, the next isn't on for two more weeks.

Awake is decent.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #273 on: March 31, 2012, 04:29:28 pm »
Only one episode of Magic City has been on, the next isn't on for two more weeks.

Awake is decent.
What's Magic City like?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: March 31, 2012, 04:41:16 pm »
Haven't watched it yet. The trailers look decent, though.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #275 on: March 31, 2012, 04:52:26 pm »
Haven't watched it yet. The trailers look decent, though.
I've just got it and had a quick look through,and it reminded me of Crime Story,the Michael Mann tv series set in Las Vegas in the 50s.It look's ok,does'nt it? Thank's for that.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: March 31, 2012, 05:39:25 pm »

Awake is decent.

Gunna give the first ep of each a bash whilst i wait for the evening's entertainment to come to fruition  ;)

Cheers

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: March 31, 2012, 08:27:05 pm »
I looked at my video on demand to see what behind the scenes stuff is available for Magic City, and they actually have the first three episodes. Happy days. It also might mean they're all online somewhere.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #278 on: March 31, 2012, 09:17:02 pm »
I looked at my video on demand to see what behind the scenes stuff is available for Magic City, and they actually have the first three episodes. Happy days. It also might mean they're all online somewhere.
Just had a look,can't find anything,other than the first one.Thank's anyway mate.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: March 31, 2012, 09:30:18 pm »
I was a huge fan of Entourage.

Anyone know anything vaguely similar?