Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Arne Slot 'The clubs are negotiating. I am waiting to see what will come out of it. It will be no secret that I would like to go to Liverpool. Now I am waiting for the clubs to reach an agreement. I have every confidence in that. I’d like to become new Liverpool manager, my decisions is clear”.

JSB" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>create png online[/url]
Always been a bit of a weird fit. I'm kind of surprised the coaches wanted to sign him because he's very different from a typical Klopp player. I think when we tried to change shape at the start of last season, only to have to change it back pretty quickly, it can't have helped. He's been at his best when played close to Salah.

Not sure whether he'll be sold, but if he stays we need to add more goals elsewhere. Doesn't look like he has it in him to be the main man
I remain open to Slot, but I am plagued by concerns, which I would state as folllows:

1. Profile: When FSG brought in Klopp he was the most sought after manager in Europe. Slot is a legend in his own back yard, it's not quite the same thing.
2. Previous: While FSG had incredible success with Klopp (and have been steady, if cautious owners) they are still unproven on managerial picks. Rodgers can be considered a positive and Dalglish helped pull the club back from the brink. But only Klopp can be considered an unqualified success.
3. Coming from a weak league: Ten Hag is Dutch and arrived with a very good reputation. It's clear now he is nowhere near the leading lights of management. Quite simply the Dutch league does not test a manager enough to reveal their weaknesses.
4. Player purchases: Slot will, naturally want to pick some of his own players. Klopp got Matip for a song, as an example. Ten hag spent 100s of millions on low quality players from the Dutch league.  Again, simply put, Slot will want to shop from what he knows, but the league is piss and Dutch players are at an all time low quality wise.
5. Klopp hangover: Going from a legend to an unknown is going to be a hard transition for everyone.
6. Klopp lite: Slot appears to be favoured because he plays a similar style to Klopp. But  a new departure is needed, trying to be Klopp 2.0 is highly unlikely to succeed. The players for one will not be persuaded if its more of the same, only not as good.

Yep, fair enough but there isn’t a Jurgen or Rafa out there. Edwards will recommend the transfers to Slot’s style and he will veto them, which is different to Ten Bob Note bringing in sub standard Eredivisie players.

He’ll bring Sipke Hulshoff with him who is also the Dutch Assistant Manager and knows Virgil well. Last night showed the importance our Captain in trying to lift of the team to his standards and having his buy-in is the key thing.

Think Slot will refine what Jurgen has built,  which is what is needed.
Nunez is a class player and I think we would be mental to even think of selling, he will continue to improve

He’s not putting up the numbers he is by accident and players assist numbers can be cushioned with a load of short passes to players who go on to score worldies but this doesn’t really apply to Nunez from what I can remember, he’s picked up some really smart assists with excellent decision making and well executed passes.

The main issue I have with Nunez game is the lack of composure, too often we see him miscontrol, trip, slip or just hammer the ball as hard as he can. The difference with elite strikers (from watching them) often appears to be that decisive, composed application in key areas. Let a loose ball fall to Harry Kane, yes he will sometimes miscontrol or lose the ball but so so often it’s touch out of his feet and finish, touch out of his feet and finish. If your first touch is off a lot of times you end up having to rush the finish, or adjust your feet, every split second in those small spaces counts and often a bad first touch is a missed opportunity, I dont often agree with Skys analysis but they highlighted it in the first City game, Nunez… poor touch, chance not clear cut, Haaland, first touch into space and before we knew it… goal. Nunez gets a good few excellent passes in to him where a small touch into space leaves a chance to get a shot away but he gets it caught up in his feet then loses the chance too much.

Likewise with his finishing, you’ve gotta be able to pick the right shots, I still remember watching Cisse waste chance upon chance because he insisteddddd on hitting it hard as he could so often. Far too many times we see Nunez pick the wrong shot from good positions, more composure and he places that shot last night, Pickford left with little to no chance from that position but he just leathers it. Some will disagree but look at those elite strikers and so often they pick the right finish for the right situation, no one expects the net to ripple every shot but you’ve got to at least be giving yourself a good chance of scoring by making your shot hard to save. Sometimes it feels like Nunez cant decide what to do, he’s so fucking quick but you would be forgiven for not realising because he can get the ball and pick his option so slowly the defender can get a toe in.

I fully believe he has huge potential but it’s like he rushes when he should slow down then slows down when urgency is required. If he can add more consistent composure to his game it would make so much difference but right now he just doesn’t look decisive enough in key moments and that’s the whole game, not just shots. It may be reffered to as ‘vibes’ but right not he’s just not giving that confidence that he’ll finish these chances, did anyone see the ball fall to him and EXPECT a goal? The guy has so much potential but he can do so much more
Interesting bit this from an away win at Ajax last season. He hooked his left back after only 24 minutes. The player didn't take it well. Jump to 5:50.

https://youtu.be/O0_ivWpdStM?si=_6rnorJb0kxF7S43

The comments reveal he was on a yellow card and looking like a liability.

Certainly can be bold with his in-game management.
Great post that mate. You're right, we ended up giving ourselves too much to do in one window and it's a testament to Klopp's ability as a manager, as well as the overall performances of MacAllister particularly (although Endo and Dom have excelled in periods, too) that we've been able to compete. I disagree with some people's assessment that we would never have expected to compete this season. The pattern since 2020 has been shit season due to not filling a blatant gap in the squad (centre halves in 20/21, midfield in 22/23) followed by filling the gap and mounting a challenge. If it was down to Jürgen I'm sure we'd have filled those gaps quicker, the one criticism I think we could make of his strategy in hindsight were the Nunez and Gakpo signings when clearly it was midfield that needed sorting.

I do think though that the bigger problem preventing us getting over the line this year have been the injuries as opposed to the number of signings.

Anyway, back to the title race. Why oh why is my brain starting to ask those questions again? What if Brighton win tonight and Spurs beat Arsenal? That's plausible. Arsenal have a crap record at OT and don't like playing under pressure. City have spurs away still...forest won't be easy on the weekend.

It's the same daft thinking that had me still thinking we might turn it around and win with ten minutes left yesterday despite us looking like we wouldn't score in a month of Sundays.
Is he reliable for news regarding himself?

Waiting for the Portuguese journo's to confirm we have sent our counter offer to Amorim and he's back in the race.
NAh, not until I hear from Romano what Slot has said about himself.

I’m waiting on Indy to confirm.
General Football and Sport / Re: Darts thread
« Last post by Boston always unofficial on Today at 08:06:58 pm »
 Aspinall  looked great hopefully he can beat the little fat twat in the semi's then,ha ha Peter Wright walk on music!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10