Author Topic: Half time: Brighton 0-0 Liverpool  (Read 5255 times)

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Half time: Brighton 0-0 Liverpool
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2019, 03:49:44 pm »
Jeez, they have got our number, need to get creative the second half.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2019, 03:49:44 pm »
Have our midfield played a forward pass all half?

Still, 45 to go. I’d get Keita on asap as he might actually run with the ball and cause some problems. Far too easy for Brighton at the moment

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2019, 03:49:47 pm »
We have nobody in midfield who wants to break into space. It's all sideways and backwards.

Maybe Mane should try to beat the defender for pace.

VVD and Fabinho are the only ones who try to break into space.

We are just playing into Brighton's plan and we need to up the tempo and drag them out of their positions.
#JFT97

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 03:49:49 pm »

Salah has been anonymous, don’t think I’ve seen him touch the ball more than 3 times. Henderson hasn’t made a forward pass yet and we’re just not capitalizing on our good positions.

Everything else has been decent though.

I think your first sentence is a direct result of your 2nd sentence

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2019, 03:49:52 pm »
Midfield is to static with Gini and Hendo not doing enough on the ball, it's all aimless sideways passing and slowing play down.

Keita needs to come on at HT and give us some drive and forward passing and play between those lines.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2019, 03:49:54 pm »
Its hard to describe how defensively Brighton are playing this. Incredibly deep with long diagonals to try and get any out ball.

Shaqiri should have done better with the header but it was close, Bobby unlucky with the slide in too. But we haven't created enough.

Brighton fans are irritating, don't mind them claiming everything, but some of it is pathetic, jeering fouls given against their players that could easily be yellow cards.
Don't get why refs allow players to hold someones arm in the penalty area and pull and its not a pen either.

Keep plugging away and move it a bit quicker.

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2019, 03:50:01 pm »
I didn’t know we had a walking football team until today.😬 Not easy against this set up but I thought we were a bit sloppy early on and then created very little. Lots of long balls to Salah that their big CBs have gobbled up. Need to be a lot sharper and quicker in the second half or we could get caught out here.
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2019, 03:50:04 pm »
patience is needed here. move the ball quicker. Bring them on to us so they leave space for us to score. Tough game but one bit of quality will be good enough here. Keep the faith. 

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2019, 03:50:04 pm »
Wow, imagine paying to watch that. One team taking no risks off the ball, the other taking no risks on it.

For us it takes me back to some of our struggles against low block teams last season. The passing is lateral always and the most frustrating element is the width comes from full-backs. Often Robertson receives it on the left and has no ball down the line, he has to go backwards diagonal to Van Dijk. The four attacking players might as well move in together given they like each other's space so much  ;D

Frustrating game to watch, expect much more urgency, tempo and endeavour second half.

Offline ApfelStudel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2019, 03:50:14 pm »
The last attack we had, Wiji took the ball and ran forward, which created space on the right wing.. Nothing came out of it, but it creates something.. We need our midfielders to attack more with the ball, rather than just doing short passes. I think Naby would  do well in this game.

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2019, 03:50:25 pm »
we have 2 bloody central midfielders playing safety first football, and don't have the vision and ability to pick out the front players.  Take out Henderson for the second half and bring on Keita, we need someone to drive at the Brighton defence with the ball and cause panic

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2019, 03:50:26 pm »
Too slow. Brighton well organised. Turn up the tempo and the breakthrough will come.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2019, 03:50:48 pm »
What was that dangerous Henderson backpass for?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2019, 03:50:49 pm »
Alisson to Fabinho to Van Dijk to Henderson to Wijnaldum to Fabinho to Van Dijk to Fabinho to Alisson.

Bit passive and too many long balls, but have created a few chances. Shame the Firmino one was missed by an inch or two by him. Not too many worries defensively (so far)

;D
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2019, 03:50:53 pm »
Hendo and Gini. Please stop being so risky. There is no need to carry on attacking. Need to pass to the defence a bit more.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline anoopvk

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2019, 03:50:55 pm »
Henderson has been excellent. The precision in his passes to the players ahead of him are excellent. Back to the best.
"We must turn from doubters to believers"

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:01 pm »
Need to get Trent and Henderson off.

Trent is struggling with what happened in the warm up and Henderson just isn’t offering anything in midfield at all, free men infront of him and he keeps going back to Fabinho.

Henderson will stay on I think if only to make sure we have three big players there in him, Fabinho and van Dijk to win any long balls. Maybe Gini could come off for Keita though.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:05 pm »
Death by a thousand Hendo back-passes.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:18 pm »
Wijnaldum and Henderson don’t do enough in these games.

Henderson needs to get the ball forward more often. It's sideways and back. Maybe there is no-one to pass it to but regardless which it is, we need to find ways in the second half.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:25 pm »
Garbage from Brighton, all men behind the ball

Do you expect them to make it easy for us? We need to look at ourselves and show more on the ball, try to get Shaqiri on the ball more.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:25 pm »
Not hugely surprising given Brighton tend to keep things pretty tight at home. Big second half now.

Garbage from Brighton, all men behind the ball
They’re 45 minutes away from a draw against the league leaders. I don’t think their fans will mind.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:30 pm »
Boring game and Brighton will not tire if we play this slowly in the second half. We need to up the tempo badly. Hopefully, Keita comes on for Henderson. Come on reds!!!
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:32 pm »
Good to know we forfeited the fa cup so the players would be fresh for today...

Its not even over and this shite is starting?!
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:33 pm »
They’ll get a boot up their arses and we win 2-0

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:34 pm »
Need Shaq, Firmino and Wijnaldum to link up a bit more and get between the lines. I thought Wijnaldum has been tidy but very poor. Constantly taking up deep positions but doesn't really get on the ball that much. Not sure why he isn't offering a bit more in terms of running, combination play. Wonder if we'll see Keita on for him 2nd half.  We've got 80% possession. We don't really need more players behind the ball.

We need to be 100% better in the 2nd half. Too many players just ambling around, not prepared to introduce some risk, some indecision.

Lots of criticism aimed at Hendo due to a lack of creativity from midfield - but I can't see that WIjnaldum has done anything at all either. Both equally guilty of being too slow, too unimaginative. They don't need 100% passing accuracy in games like this because we do eventually have to take a risk or two if we want to score.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:55:15 pm by mrantarctica »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:36 pm »
Keita for Henderson needs to happen within first 15 minutes of 2nd half.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:37 pm »
Henderson offering nothing to break them down in any way, wish he would look forward more but maybe he's been instructed not to. Frustrating as we only created about one decent chance, gonna need to do a lot more or get very lucky.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:38 pm »
Keita for Henderson please.

Offline gemofabird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:38 pm »
Bring Salah on for the second half?
The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.

Offline elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:43 pm »
Midfield is garbage again. Henderson and Wijnaldum both needs to go off. shocking performance by both of them

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:51 pm »
Side ways . Back. Side ways. Back and it goes on

Seems like we are missing a player linking up near top

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:51 pm »
I think we will win, but Hendo is having one of those games where he does my nut in. Sideways pass, backwards pass, sideways and backwards pass. He slows down the possession and lets them just shuffle across the pitch to block off routes. He's a waste of a player in these games, especially when both our centre halves are good passers of the ball.

I'd take Trent off too, no point risking another long term injury to a defender.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:54 pm »
We've played like a team coming off an intense period of games. We need to stay calm and keep thinking, a bit more guile a few better touches - we had opportunites they gifted us there and didn't do enough with them. Brighton have put a hell of a lot of work in that half and they will tire come 70 minutes and we'll certainly get more chances.

With that said, we need more guile in midfield and today is as good a day as any for Naby to give us some of that.

We may well need to overload them up top too, and we've played that many long balls so far divock could be worth a shout.

Big half ahead, up the reds.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:57 pm »
Henderson will stay on I think if only to make sure we have three big players there in him, Fabinho and van Dijk to win any long balls. Maybe Gini could come off for Keita though.

Neither Henderson or Gini tend to win balls in the air.

Definately need Keita on and some point.

We’ve got no right wing with the Trent injury though.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:57 pm »
I'd be tempted to play 3 at the back and let Fabinho go into midfield.

Henderson should be controlling the game but his instinct is to slow the game down and turn backwards.

Or play Shaq in the gap between their defence and midfield.
#JFT97

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2019, 03:52:00 pm »
We need to get over the line here and take all 3 points. The performance doesn't matter, hopefully we can score a goal or two in the second half.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2019, 03:52:04 pm »
Just missing that final pass.

Salah has been anonymous, don’t think I’ve seen him touch the ball more than 3 times. Henderson hasn’t made a forward pass yet and we’re just not capitalizing on our good positions.

Everything else has been decent though.

I have been watching him carefully and believe it or not he has played a lot of forward balls, but its so tight there are 3 players around whoever receives the ball. Yes he has often been ponderous, but there is no pass on. We need someone driving through them

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2019, 03:52:16 pm »
Going to be tough to break these lot down. Need a little spark from somewhere, Mo hasn’t had a sniff.

Bobby with a bit of magic second half.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2019, 03:52:22 pm »
Come on you Redmen. We'll have these in the last 30.

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2019, 03:52:42 pm »
Keita for Henderson, please. Gini will do fine as the lone #6. We need Keita and Shaqiri to drive through the midfield.