Author Topic: FM10 SPL World Domination Simulation Draft - Discussion thread!  (Read 21764 times)

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: FM10 SPL World Domination Simulation Draft - Discussion thread!
« Reply #200 on: December 2, 2019, 01:22:54 pm »
My bank account disagrees  :o

"out of work" = unemployed in this case. Applied for several dozens of jobs this year but the experience wanking is getting under my skin.

Either way, another option if you think you might miss a pick is to PM your pick to me beforehand and if no-one else picks him I select him in your stead. Entirely doable given you pick before me in each round!

Wilco.

I did politics as part of my degree in the 90s, veered into Psychology and ended up a librarian. Those were different, more innocent times. I don`t even have student loans now, but i still think i`d prefer to be 20  ;)
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #201 on: December 2, 2019, 01:27:26 pm »
I wish you were head of recruitment in my municipality then  ;D  :'(  :butt

You never know, mate.  Time has a way of skewing our professional selves a bit (exaggerating directionality)...

You're quality!

I'm a stay at home ex-professor of family finance in the States --- coach footy on the side. 

So, I know the feeling :)

YNWA
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: December 2, 2019, 01:28:36 pm »
Wilco.

I did politics as part of my degree in the 90s, veered into Psychology and ended up a librarian. Those were different, more innocent times. I don`t even have student loans now, but i still think i`d prefer to be 20  ;)

I knew I liked you Killie! 
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #203 on: December 2, 2019, 01:29:40 pm »
The Rangers formation has made me unable to pick a certain player.
But we are on 4th round of drafting, and I am shocked that he hasn't been picked yet. Sublime player.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #204 on: December 2, 2019, 01:32:10 pm »
The Rangers formation has made me unable to pick a certain player.
But we are on 4th round of drafting, and I am shocked that he hasn't been picked yet. Sublime player.

You might have to be flexible given:

Media perception = 1st
Draft order = 11/12th

There's a good chance good old Walter Smith be out of a job within a year, so your picks should be the least system-dependent of them all  :)

All players will be mad at their low pay throughout their careers btw, but there's nothing they can do since I've made them stuck at their clubs until the end of the career by the editor settings! Unluckee... No way I can saddle Scottish clubs with their original pay for obvious reasons!
« Last Edit: December 2, 2019, 01:33:43 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: December 2, 2019, 01:36:13 pm »
You might have to be flexible given:

Media perception = 1st
Draft order = 11/12th

There's a good chance good old Walter Smith be out of a job within a year, so your picks should be the least system-dependent of them all  :)

All players will be mad at their low pay throughout their careers btw, but there's nothing they can do since I've made them stuck at their clubs until the end of the career by the editor settings! Unluckee... No way I can saddle Scottish clubs with their original pay for obvious reasons!

Yep. Will get the extra pick anyway. Can shoehorn the guy into the side if needed.
Maybe Stevie fancies playing on the wings for a season.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #206 on: December 2, 2019, 01:52:03 pm »
You never know, mate.  Time has a way of skewing our professional selves a bit (exaggerating directionality)...

You're quality!

I'm a stay at home ex-professor of family finance in the States --- coach footy on the side. 

So, I know the feeling :)

YNWA

Thanks Prof.

I'm doing the best I can, maybe I should go into the PhD field soon but at the same time the trouble is I'm in my smaller hometown nowadays and I like it here, especially the proximity to the sea and the vast amount of cycling options, but it's hard to find jobs. I'm definitely not a metropolis person, although up to 100 k is manageable.
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #207 on: December 2, 2019, 01:53:55 pm »
Yep. Will get the extra pick anyway. Can shoehorn the guy into the side if needed.
Maybe Stevie fancies playing on the wings for a season.

Stevie has a very high versatility in the game, I tried him up front with Torres after turning their injury-proneness down to zero five years ago as an experiment and it was hilarious  ;D Torres banged in 40 and Stevie did a 20 + 20 season and got retrained to play as a striker real fast. He's sublime at right midfield too, but maybe not in the attacking winger's role, but more as either a defensive winger, wide midfielder or an advanced playmaker. His natural position is CAM, but he's very adept as a classic CM and is retrained for that role within a month of two. He and Mascherano paper over so many cracks in that Liverpool side in the game. Those two out simultaneously and league title turns into a top four dogfight real quick.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2019, 01:58:17 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: December 2, 2019, 01:59:46 pm »
Thanks Prof.

I'm doing the best I can, maybe I should go into the PhD field soon but at the same time the trouble is I'm in my smaller hometown nowadays and I like it here, especially the proximity to the sea and the vast amount of cycling options, but it's hard to find jobs. I'm definitely not a metropolis person, although up to 100 k is manageable.

Keeping and attracting local talent like yourself should be a huge priority of the small community --- and I totally get the being a non metropolis person (living in/near Wash DC now) and its a far cry from small town midwestern USA.... :)

The problem with getting ones doctorate is that

1.  Delay in time it takes away from maximum earning years
2.  Income differential in the field you work in needs to be crystal clear -- extra 50K or 100K per year clear
3.  Finding a network within your local community where you can fit back into after the doctorate experience (leadership)
4.  Family, quality of life and managing the stresses of committing yourself to 3-4 years of academic toil
5.  Clear plan for after --- with all involved including mentors as crucial facilitators (pretty rare in my experience)

Sometimes, doing nothing (I do not mean nothing, but in terms of credentialing) leads to avenues where something happens.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: December 2, 2019, 02:04:02 pm »
Should I go ahead and get on with it?
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #210 on: December 2, 2019, 02:04:21 pm »
Keeping and attracting local talent like yourself should be a huge priority of the small community --- and I totally get the being a non metropolis person (living in/near Wash DC now) and its a far cry from small town midwestern USA.... :)

I struggle with energy and recovery. Stockholm is commutable for someone without those problems, but not for me since it's more than an hour each way and then probably the metro and stuff too. I react really badly to noise and crowded environments. I much prefer being out in nature to Stockholm anyway.
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: December 2, 2019, 02:08:14 pm »
I struggle with energy and recovery. Stockholm is commutable for someone without those problems, but not for me since it's more than an hour each way and then probably the metro and stuff too. I react really badly to noise and crowded environments. I much prefer being out in nature to Stockholm anyway.

Sounds like you have your priorities right there mate.  Well out.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #212 on: December 2, 2019, 02:14:39 pm »
Sounds like you have your priorities right there mate.  Well out.

I just love my local nature so much, Maine mixed with Newfoundland:

Spoiler

[close]

Irreplaceable.
Linudden.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: December 2, 2019, 02:17:22 pm »
Silva is a great pick.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: December 2, 2019, 02:21:00 pm »
I just love my local nature so much, Maine mixed with Newfoundland:

Spoiler

[close]

Irreplaceable.

Parents retired up to N Michigan --- reminds me a bit of home - well out again!

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: December 2, 2019, 02:22:13 pm »
Silva is a great pick.

Thanks - was thinking about stealing your pick but since you have your midfield sorted --- I'd leave well enough alone
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #216 on: December 2, 2019, 02:52:44 pm »
Schweinsteiger added to the Hibs revolution after hearing from that Mario Gomez had taken the hairdresser they shared with him to the Scottish Capital. This forms the latest part of the SPL's new revamp that has been subsidised by a crowdfunding page set up by Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon to show the talent an independent Scotland could attract.

Critics say the plans could bankrupt the country, especially given worldwide recession that we are currently in the midst of.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: December 2, 2019, 02:53:49 pm »
Thanks - was thinking about stealing your pick but since you have your midfield sorted --- I'd leave well enough alone

I would have picked him, and played him wide which is where he started off

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #218 on: December 2, 2019, 02:56:00 pm »
Schweinsteiger added to the Hibs revolution after hearing from that Mario Gomez had taken the hairdresser they shared with him to the Scottish Capital. This forms the latest part of the SPL's new revamp that has been subsidised by a crowdfunding page set up by Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon to show the talent an independent Scotland could attract.

Critics say the plans could bankrupt the country, especially given worldwide recession that we are currently in the midst of.

Salmond just answered reporters that attracting this talent "es väre progrässev" amid subtitles for the confused English  :wave
Linudden.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #219 on: December 2, 2019, 03:14:06 pm »
I really thought about taking Silva instead of Ozil and in hindsight I have no idea why I didn't.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: December 2, 2019, 03:23:58 pm »
I really thought about taking Silva instead of Ozil and in hindsight I have no idea why I didn't.

You know I have a theory -- not tested of course but one none the less.

The top teams in this Sim will all have a Spanish World Class Midfielder playing in their side. 

And while I could have had Xavi, I wanted Silva more -- and was amazed he lasted as long as he did considering his ascendancy into City's side. 

However, the comparison -- to Ozil - might actually favor Mezut --- such a clever player and his last few years needs to be cleaved out of the equation in this draft.

51/49 in my book mate.

Trend's theory

Iniesta
Xavi
Alonso
Silva
Undrafted others

We'll see the standings and if it holds.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: December 2, 2019, 03:25:12 pm »
Nice pick Gerrence!  Neymar has some room to grow in this game certainly.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: December 2, 2019, 03:31:11 pm »
It`s all happening, i might get another pick today!

What age was Freddy Adu in 2009?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: December 2, 2019, 03:39:53 pm »

34  ;D

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #224 on: December 2, 2019, 03:46:34 pm »

20. They claimed. On loan at Aris Saloniki from Benfica  ;D Was actually a useful player for Benfica in that game but not someone I'd pick for this.
Linudden.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: December 2, 2019, 03:50:44 pm »

Can people stop picking my players please?

You are allowed Freddy Adu.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 2, 2019, 03:51:48 pm »
Surprised I was able to get Tevez at this stage but delighted :D

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 2, 2019, 03:52:27 pm »

He would have been great up front with Alexis & Suarez. Narks ftw.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: December 2, 2019, 03:53:46 pm »
Was debating Tevez last pick, but as a wide left. Wasn't sure how he'd be in there though
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 2, 2019, 03:54:24 pm »

Disappointed could not get him next -- nice one deFacto!

I feel like he and David Villa are the two best second forward options in the draft at 4-4-2...

Better get your defense in order or it will be too late mate.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 2, 2019, 04:07:59 pm »
Disappointed could not get him next -- nice one deFacto!

I feel like he and David Villa are the two best second forward options in the draft at 4-4-2...

Better get your defense in order or it will be too late mate.

Knowing my luck, the ones I have in mind will be gone  ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: December 2, 2019, 04:18:25 pm »
Heading out lads with the wee one, will be back soon - let me know if you need me on discord.

Keep this bitch rolling along :)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #232 on: December 2, 2019, 04:59:39 pm »
Big moussa patrolling that cm giving Mata and Ronaldo chance to roam.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #233 on: December 2, 2019, 05:08:52 pm »
Was debating Tevez last pick, but as a wide left. Wasn't sure how he'd be in there though

He's yellow on the position (green-red scale). In theory he'd work wonders but would take a human manager to consistently play him there in order to adapt. The sole concern is a lack of pace, but essentially he'd be like Maxi Rodríguez or Dirk Kuyt combined after going on Lance Armstrong's diet after some adpatation.

I realized Aberdeen play a 4-1-2-2-1 with wingers by the way - I've hardly ever played against their manager since past few years only Scottish club I've been is them!

My current XI:

?

? ? Chiellini ?

?

? Kaká

Pato ?

Agüero

Makes sense I picked the Dons to fool nobody else apparently  ;D
« Last Edit: December 2, 2019, 05:16:54 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: December 2, 2019, 05:15:32 pm »
He'd be wasted out there. Look what happened once he moved to City and started playing up front consistently.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #235 on: December 2, 2019, 05:18:03 pm »
He'd be wasted out there. Look what happened once he moved to City and started playing up front consistently.

In FM it'd work since he'd play on the shoulder of the opposition right-back and always look to break the line, essentially you'd have to play him as an inside with an attack function with a direct style of play, that way he'd score 20 a season from out wide in the style of our wingers. Tévez' big issue is that he's not very fast and not the best finisher but full backs are easier to play dummies on than centre halves in general.
Linudden.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: December 2, 2019, 05:24:54 pm »
Done and Pmed Killie

Rooney
Robben
Alonso
Ozil
Terry

Shit house XI coming along nicely :D

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: December 2, 2019, 05:27:19 pm »
And don't tell me Alonso ain't a shithouse. Fucker couldn't wait to leave us

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: December 2, 2019, 05:59:41 pm »
And don't tell me Alonso ain't a shithouse. Fucker couldn't wait to leave us

I won’t.

I’ll tell you Alonso isn’t a shithouse.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: December 2, 2019, 06:05:29 pm »
Does Motherwell play 5-3-2 with wing-backs?  or is it a flat back 5?