Author Topic: Family Tree Searches  (Read 43539 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: Family Tree Searches
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2019, 09:04:22 pm »
Zilty's. Just knew it was his, soon as I saw it.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2019, 09:13:58 pm »
 :lmao

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #242 on: November 27, 2019, 05:02:38 pm »
Has anyone used the genealogy DNA tests (i.e. Ancestry DNA, Living DNA)? And if so, did you found that it benefitted your family history searches?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: November 28, 2019, 12:15:48 am »
Has anyone used the genealogy DNA tests (i.e. Ancestry DNA, Living DNA)? And if so, did you found that it benefited your family history searches?
I've been chatting in work a lot about this mate. I think the answer is that it's likely to help most people in some way but you need further explanation......

Once you've obtained your results you'll start getting dozens of connections from people you know nothing about. The DNA segments depend how close you are. If you've both built a family tree with the same relatives you'll identify the connection, but if one of you hasn't built a tree at all or perhaps not gone back far enough then you'll never learn how you are related. Think about the ramifications of your grandparents expanding by 4, 16, 64 etc as you go further back, so do be surprised to get DNA connections from all over the world.

It's not life changing - I've established dozens of connections via my mums mum and to be honest I'm not really arsed about any of them.

However, here's something unusual. My cousin and I have been searching for our granddads family for 6 years (my mums dad, her dads dad). Before I continue I'd like to thank a certain poster on here that has donated so much of his time generously helping me. Thank you.

Anyway, his name was P***** and we're 95% certain his roots were from Shoreham, Brighton based on bits of information past down. We know his fathers name from his marriage certificate (1920) but we can't find the two of them on any census living together. We think we know his dob from the 1939 register but he's untraceable using that date on Ancestry. We don't know his mum or any siblings names.
I've built a number of family trees around his name attempting to drop him in to various P***** family's in Brighton without a single DNA connection - not even one from the many people that have P*****'s on their tree in the Brighton area.

Just by chance I built an identical tree from a family of P*****'s from a different part of the country who do NOT have anyone close to my gf's name in the family, but when I pretend he was a son of someone I've received DNA connection from both the paternal and maternal sides of his pretend parents. I've contacted a couple of the people and one is very uncertain why and others haven't replied yet. This may be a breakthrough but it still seems implausible and there's no explanation.

I was at Central Library yesterday seeking advice from volunteer researchers without any success (only because I already have a bit of know how and I have immense help from a RAWKite). They don't know anything about the reliability of DNA connects and could only find the WW2 documents, etc I already had.

So, in summary, you'll get hundreds of connections from all over the world because of emigration generations ago, they'll mean nothing to you and you'll never learn the connection, but you may discover something very important, so I would recommend it :)

Hope that helps a bit.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 12:22:52 am by John C »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #244 on: January 23, 2020, 11:38:41 pm »
^

Thanks for that. I eventually took two. I got the results back for one and am waiting for the results for others. It confirmed some things, but began raising a number of questions. I had done some fag packet math that had worked out the majority of my ancestry was Irish and when you add in the number of people who had red flags assigned to them, it probably added up right, even if the result seemed surprisingly large. What I found I think says a lot about the Irish experience in general, which I'll share to assist anyone who has Irish ancestry and struggles with the fact the records are scarce.

1) Unfortunately, the census records often do not say where an individual is from. But in the moments that it did, I often noticed quite a prevalent about of intermingling between people from different parts of Ireland. While I've seen examples of Irish enclaves being created in North America where entire villages may have picked up sticks and moved resulting in a very homogeneous pool limited to a few counties and areas, the Liverpool experience appears to have been very broad. I get the sense, the Irish stuck with other Irish.

Perhaps, the famine largely impacted that. If part of your family stayed at home, and others went to Australia or America or elsewhere, perhaps people were more willing to interact with people from the same country, who would have similar experiences. Yes, obviously racism and socio-economic barriers would have also influenced that, but I do feel that for many of these people there must have been a sense that being in the same situation, working alongside each other, might have been more important than if you were from a different county or region of Ireland. Although maybe my experience is unique.   

2) I have long believed that there were probably many Irish people who claimed in census records they were from Liverpool, but were actually from Irish. I had more than half a dozen people in my tree marked as potential red flags. People often with Irish names that almost appeared to have come from another planet, due to the lack of records, or the large gaps therein. Thus, I think it is important to not necessarily assume someone is from where they claim to be. I also think that although we associate Irish emigration with the famine, there were other events (the 1798 rebellion) that may have encouraged people to leave prior to that. Also, I think it is often forgotten how incredibly close parts of Ireland are to Liverpool, Wales, Scotland and Cumbria.

3) Another aspect I have often wondered is when people gave a location in Ireland for where they were from, was that actually the case? Obviously, we don't know what the census taker said when asking that question, but I do wonder if many them either said the county from whence they left (this apparently is well-known among German immigrants to the United States, who would often list the port they left from as where they were from in Germany), or where they an area like Dublin or Wexford, for a short-time looking for work and other opportunities, before leaving.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: April 24, 2020, 11:02:29 am »
Liverpool libraries are giving free on-line access to Ancestry for a couple of weeks if anyone wants to have a search.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: April 25, 2020, 02:07:11 pm »
Liverpool libraries are giving free on-line access to Ancestry for a couple of weeks if anyone wants to have a search.

Do you have to sign up for a free trail to do it?  Found a load of old things, birth certificates, marriage, death, census etc my ex's Mum did for me about 16 years ago through her job, and want to carry on with what I was doing.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: April 25, 2020, 05:06:36 pm »
Do you have to sign up for a free trail to do it?  Found a load of old things, birth certificates, marriage, death, census etc my ex's Mum did for me about 16 years ago through her job, and want to carry on with what I was doing.
Don't know Rob mate, it's worth having a look.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #248 on: May 22, 2020, 01:24:53 am »
I got me English Nans side earlier from my Aunty . Me Nana Keen was a country girl from Evesham and married an Irishman who was born in Liverpool . He was in the RAF stationed down there.

Anyway.

Kin ell.

Johnny Haynes ex England Captain was my Nans cousin.

Eh ?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:28:35 am by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2020, 01:55:24 am »
Just gone through it again and it looks like they were second cousins or something .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2020, 03:08:26 pm »
^

It truly is amazing L12.

Other stuff I know is Grandad Hoare was born in Liverpool and his parents were from Clonmel. My great , great Nan was from Armargh but was a land lady in Dundalk. My great Nan from my das side was from Kilkenny.

My family names going back a few generations are .

Hoare
Keen
Carey
O' Connor

Murray
Dixon

Lots of Irish as you can see.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: May 22, 2020, 04:41:34 pm »
^

It truly is amazing L12.

Other stuff I know is Grandad Hoare was born in Liverpool and his parents were from Clonmel. My great , great Nan was from Armargh but was a land lady in Dundalk. My great Nan from my das side was from Kilkenny.

My family names going back a few generations are .

Hoare
Keen
Carey
O' Connor

Murray
Dixon

Lots of Irish as you can see.

yep, my Irish ancestors where from Dundalk, some records have Dundalk in County Armagh, Dundalk & Armagh both border towns I guess.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 04:57:21 pm by L12 »

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: May 22, 2020, 07:51:38 pm »
yep, my Irish ancestors where from Dundalk, some records have Dundalk in County Armagh, Dundalk & Armagh both border towns I guess.

Armagh is a County and Dundalk is a town just right by the ' border in County Louth I think.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: May 22, 2020, 08:50:38 pm »
Armagh is a County and Dundalk is a town just right by the ' border in County Louth I think.

The town of Armagh is now a city
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:20:21 pm by L12 »

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #254 on: May 22, 2020, 10:53:25 pm »
I done my DNA and all fine as I expected really
About 50 % English, 40% Irish & Scottish and 10% mixture of Germanic, French and Scandinavian

The real story happened when I did my partner’s DNA . We did at around February got the results in early April time .

Now it was odd we couldn’t work out why she was closely related to a load of people in the US.

We then got contacted by a lady originally from England but now lived in US for about 50 years

She grew up in England but was adopted into my partner’s family as a baby just after the war
She contacts to say how are we related when although she grew up within my partners mums family she wasn’t actually blood related

So after some research tooing and throwing.

We had to explain to my partner’s mum that her dad wasn’t her biological father

Her real father was a US serviceman based in Norfolk during WWII
Who happened to also be the biological father of the lady in the US that contacted us

So this lady and my partners mum are now half sisters . They grew up being told they were cousins

To be fair my partners mum took it well as she explained there was always things in her life that made her wonder anyway and the fact she was born in 1944 when her dad was supposed to be at war

So all though my partner grew up more around her mums family she’s actually not related to any of them biologically

The US servicemen was a chief of police after the war in Detroit and he’s background was Romanian, Hungarian which also explained my partner DNA

The mystery no one can solve as those who may have knew took it to there grave is

The US servicemen has two children by different women ( one my partner’s grandmother) . The other lady is adopted into the same family ( 2 years later ) and brought up by my partners granddads, (the one out at war ) brother .

So two brothers brought up children by the US serviceman . The mother of the other lady gave her up for adoption but no one knows even her how she became adopted into the same family as my partners mum

Hope that makes sense
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:55:15 pm by WEST HAM PAUL »
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: May 23, 2020, 01:12:02 am »
The town of Armagh is now a city

I do believe so but was just on about the county as thought you didn't know were both were.

L12 .

A lot of the Hoares ended up on Baycliffe Road in L12 it would be funny if our family's knew eacother given the lineage.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: May 23, 2020, 10:23:45 am »

The real story happened when I did my partner’s DNA . We did at around February got the results in early April time .

Very interesting Paul. Something similar happened with my mate in work, he knew his dad was illegitimate and for a couple of years I'd been telling him to do his DNA. He did it and about January this year he said he'd got his results and was excited about what would happen next. Within an hour he came in to my office holding his phone and said I've had notification of a potential cousin. Fucking hell I was so excited for him.
Very fortunately the guy was receptive to having a chat and not just fucking him off, they met and concluded who his granddad was. Brilliant.

Re your other point, 95% of my dna links are all in America, its nuts.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #257 on: May 23, 2020, 01:36:08 pm »

Re your other point, 95% of my dna links are all in America, its nuts.

If there is a lot of Irish in your DNA, then this would make sense, as I'd assume some families probably split with some siblings going straight to America and some after spending time in Liverpool. I also get the sense that Ancestry is more popular in certain countries (U.S., Australia, N.Z) so it potential skews the results. I've also wondered based on my own tree if there were several ancestors working on ships or in docks that may have had flings that resulted in kids in other parts of the world.

Hope that makes sense

Interesting. I recently started grouping mine into broad groups. On the paper record tree there are several strands where I wasn't able to trace beyond the 3rd great-grandparent. Almost all of these are Irish and it's like they came from the moon as there is little record of where they came from.

I do find it very curious that in the largest group I've collated, I've collected 200+ people with the highest one having 177cm to me. I When I looked into this person, I found a tree elsewhere suggesting that her grandfather was not her dad's biological father. I have wondered if this person belongs to a branch  of mine that was known for having loads of kids. However, a lot of the corresponding matches either a) have no trees b) have trees that are underdeveloped, error-strewn or c) have trees that go back to Ireland or the U.S, which complicate things.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: May 23, 2020, 04:55:57 pm »
If there is a lot of Irish in your DNA, then this would make sense, as I'd assume some families probably split with some siblings going straight to America and some after spending time in Liverpool. I also get the sense that Ancestry is more popular in certain countries (U.S., Australia, N.Z)
35% Ireland and Scotland so yeah that's a fair amount mate.
You're right about the popularity of dna testing, I think the US is far ahead of UK. I'm waiting for some significant hints from England.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: May 23, 2020, 04:59:56 pm »
35% Ireland and Scotland so yeah that's a fair amount mate.
You're right about the popularity of dna testing, I think the US is far ahead of UK. I'm waiting for some significant hints from England.

I fancy doing my DNA, my Dad reckons we have Persian in the family from a few hundred years ago and looking at pics of my Dad as a teenager, he does look middle eastern.

My surname is old English, mainly Derbyshire and Yorkshire, extremely rare in the NW though, there was one other family in the Liverpool phone book with our surname when I was growing up.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:01:53 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #260 on: May 23, 2020, 05:14:00 pm »
I've been doing a bit of this recently, not all that much interesting turned up but it turns out that the man who my dad always thought was his maternal grandfather might have actually been his half-uncle (it definitely wasn't his biological grandfather, who he had no idea died in WWI).

He knew his grandparents as 'Grace and Fred', but Grace was married to a man named Harry. Funnily enough, Harry was a bit older than her and had married previously to an Elizabeth, and they had a son called Fred (who was closer in age to Grace than Harry was).

Grace had a daughter after the war in 1920, years after her husband died, presumably with the Fred my dad remembers, but I've got no way of knowing if it's the same stepson Fred. It is possibly just coincidental that the daughter emigrated to Canada, but it could have also been to escape a scandal! Nobody in the family knows anything about it, it's possible my dad's mum never even knew who her real father was, as she would have been 2 when he joined up in 1914.

I did a DNA test recently which threw up 1/6th Scots/Irish ancestry but haven't identified it in any in the family branches at all (except for a Jackson who moved to Kent from Peebles 200 years ago), so I'm assuming the involvement of a roving navvy with a glint in his eye somewhere.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #261 on: May 26, 2020, 03:29:48 pm »
Fell into this rabbit hole today. And quite the rabbit hole it is.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: June 12, 2020, 11:35:25 am »
Can I ask those of you who have taken the DNA test, which company you used and which you would recommend?

I'm getting desperate now!
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: June 12, 2020, 11:13:48 pm »
Can I ask those of you who have taken the DNA test, which company you used and which you would recommend?

Hi mate, I used Ancestry as it seemed the most logical method as its one of the largest sites in the world. But I've discovered its mainly American and by virtue that 90% of my dna links are American and I have few clues from my mums side, something is missing.
So I'm reviewing my search as well.

Find My Past is a popular site, but I've not checked it properly yet.

Good luck with yours.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #264 on: June 13, 2020, 11:51:27 am »

A mate of mine was in the same situation as you, and I said that unless you use two companies and they both come to the same conclusion I'd be very dubious. He agreed but he'd already got Ancestry on the job. Ancestry identified 100% (!) of his DNA as coming from a fairly small area slap bang in the middle of Ireland. He's a plastic paddy anyway and although his mum and dad met in London, they were both from the same tiny village slap bang in the middle of the area Ancestry identified! Needless to say I have now used them myself.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2020, 12:50:57 pm »
Thanks John and Dr. B.

My concern is mainly about how specific it can be; my 4xGGfather was born in either Wiltshire or Hampshire - neighborouring counties - I've always gone with the Hants one simply because his only son's name was the same as his own supposed father in Micheldever.
It's been a bitch for 20 years! the brickwall can be seen from the moon.

John, the thought of getting hundreds of 'connects' from America is alone enough to put me right off - I've seen too many of their efforts with c50,000 people in their tree and multiple coats of arms. I have a dozen or more master mariners who been doing the transatlantic gig since about 1800 on. Same applies to Australia/New Zealand.
Might have to rely on the afterlife.

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: June 13, 2020, 06:18:16 pm »
Before getting a dna test kit recommend doing research for the best option, 'Ancestry' for example does not cover mtdna and Ydna, plus if you don't catch a certain clause when you sign up your data will be shared.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 06:33:16 pm by L12 »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: June 13, 2020, 07:35:53 pm »

John, the thought of getting hundreds of 'connects' from America is alone enough to put me right off

It's overwhelming in comparison to UK matches mate.
Couple of other points.
My mate in work found his granddad via Ancestry, a very successful story.
However, I've asked Ancestry about their algorithms, their Thru-lines service has suggested two different directions of my Grt GF. And I doubt both of them.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: June 13, 2020, 08:14:10 pm »
Before getting a dna test kit recommend doing research for the best option, 'Ancestry' for example does not cover mtdna and Ydna, plus if you don't catch a certain clause when you sign up your data will be shared.

Thanks for the advice, mate, I knew absolutely nothing of such things.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: June 13, 2020, 08:19:13 pm »
Couple of other points.
However, I've asked Ancestry about their algorithms, their Thru-lines service has suggested two different directions of my Grt GF. And I doubt both of them.

Cheers, John.

Do you suspect your GGF is from England, if so which area do you reckon?

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2020, 08:27:07 pm »
I used Ancestry, only because I used it to do my main research and didn't expect any surprises. There were none. The biology and Thrulines backed up the documents. I was wondering if it might confirm a possible common ancestor but suspected the link was too far back. We found no link. I would have been interested in USA links as two people disappeared over there.

I already knew the ethnicity, so wasn't that interested.  The only surprise was 4% Germanic Europe. Since that could be in the range 0%-10% I'm satisfied it's 0%. I ran the same file through MyHeritage. It came up with 18% East European/Baltic and even the Celtic/English split made little sense. It's a science in it's infancy and I think it's unlikely you could differentiate between counties.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2020, 09:28:47 pm »
A mate of mine was in the same situation as you, and I said that unless you use two companies and they both come to the same conclusion I'd be very dubious. He agreed but he'd already got Ancestry on the job. Ancestry identified 100% (!) of his DNA as coming from a fairly small area slap bang in the middle of Ireland. He's a plastic paddy anyway and although his mum and dad met in London, they were both from the same tiny village slap bang in the middle of the area Ancestry identified! Needless to say I have now used them myself.

I really like that feature (although I think it could be explained a lot better, particularly for the areas outside of the specific DNA communities, as well as an explanation re: the size of the circles) and had hoped it would help me figure out where exactly in Ireland some of my ancestors were from, because you eventually hit a massive wall with them at some point. The problem I have is that given more than 2/3 of my DNA is in the Ireland/Scotland camp, the DNA communities I get back for are ridiculous. I think Kerry, Clare, Derry and Donegal are the only counties that I don't have any circles in and the overlap in some of them makes it difficult to actually pin down likely areas.

John, the thought of getting hundreds of 'connects' from America is alone enough to put me right off - I've seen too many of their efforts with c50,000 people in their tree and multiple coats of arms. I have a dozen or more master mariners who been doing the transatlantic gig since about 1800 on. Same applies to Australia/New Zealand.
Might have to rely on the afterlife.

On mine, I've got tons of results from the U.S., Australia and N.Z. likely through people that left Ireland to the point of it being frustrating. I also have a significant amount of ancestors that worked in shipping (which is ironic because I hate boats ;D), which I've have always thought could result in the possibility of people having unknowingly had children through er... the results of relations in foreign lands  :P. I've managed to basically find people on the DNA tests that link to most of the branches, except for one of my grandfather's. Now it could be that there aren't too many people residing in Liverpool (or who had relatives who resided there) which explains why, but I have this one group that I've colour-coded that has like 250 people in it and I have no clue who any of them are. It might be that my great grandfather's dad wasn't his biological parent. Then again his mam had something like a dozen kids, so it could be that I'm getting results back related people within that particular branch.

Couple of other points.

The thing with ThruLines isn't aren't they mostly connecting through trees that others have populated? Because I've had a few come up through there where loads of people seem to be copying the same jarg tree with information that doesn't make any logical sense for the time period. Like yeah it makes perfect sense that someone would marry in Pennsylvania move back to Dumfries to have their kid and then move to Virginia in the space of 12 months in the late 18th century ::)

A lot of U.S. users have very extensive trees, but I question a lot of them, particularly once they venture outside of the United States where the records aren't as deep. I think some people forget that a lot of people wouldn't frequently move around in great distances two hundred years ago. Additionally, there are a sizable minority that seem to try to link back to some royal, aristocrat or military figure when it makes little historical sense.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 09:32:55 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: June 13, 2020, 10:57:29 pm »
jarg tree
:) Exactly mate. I'm guilty of that trying to link my grt GF to many trees in the same distric,t with the same surname.
Two things concerned me about my Ancestry results as I've pointed out before. Put Covid aside.
1. Why are 90% American - are English people not taking the test? Or have Ancestry's results got a propensity?
2. Why do I have lines through different potential grandparents? Are Ancestry's algorithms manipulate in your research?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #273 on: June 14, 2020, 01:51:05 am »
:) Exactly mate. I'm guilty of that trying to link my grt GF to many trees in the same distric,t with the same surname.
Two things concerned me about my Ancestry results as I've pointed out before. Put Covid aside.
1. Why are 90% American - are English people not taking the test? Or have Ancestry's results got a propensity?
2. Why do I have lines through different potential grandparents? Are Ancestry's algorithms manipulate in your research?

1. I think it's likely because many Americans are going to have ancestry for a variety of places and may not necessarily know where their ancestors are from. Whereas many British people will probably assume that their ancestors have always come from somewhere in the UK and may be less interested

2. Per Ancestry's website the wonky suggestions in ThruLines are likely caused by incorrect trees

Since ThruLines™ are based on the family trees of you and other members of Ancestry, they're as accurate as the trees they're based on. Mistakes in family trees can cause inaccurate ThruLines™. Because they're based on trees, ThruLines™ don't prove your specific connection to a DNA match

Because they're based on trees, ThruLines™ don't prove your specific connection to a DNA match. For example, if you have someone listed in your tree as a second cousin, and that person appears as a DNA match and in a ThruLine as your second cousin, they could still actually be a first cousin once removed, a half-first cousin, or a number of other relationships to you.
https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/AncestryDNA-ThruLines

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: July 7, 2020, 01:15:44 pm »
National Archives are allowing free downloading of a lot of their records for as long as Kew is closed. You need to register, but that's painless and free.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/digital-downloads/

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #275 on: July 7, 2020, 01:28:22 pm »
Done mine through Ancestry and found my mothers side all English and mainly Liverpool going back to the late 1700’s. Proper Scouse that 👍😊.

My dad’s side was Edinburgh and Northern Irish. Done a Wikipedia search on the little town near Balllymena called Ahoghill that my grandmother’s family came from and it said ‘staunch loyalist’ 😳

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: July 7, 2020, 08:17:12 pm »
National Archives are allowing free downloading of a lot of their records for as long as Kew is closed. You need to register, but that's painless and free.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/digital-downloads/

Cheers

Found my Great Grandads War medals record from 1921, for being a merchant seaman during WWI. I think I've also found his brothers medal card from the Liverpool Regiment, from 1914.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #277 on: July 9, 2020, 03:28:19 pm »
Fell into this rabbit hole today. And quite the rabbit hole it is.

So, I started with the names of three Grandparents and nothing else. Within a week or so I'd found my paternal Granddad (the missing one of the four), and discovered that he passed away before my Dad's first birthday, hence my Dad never knowing him. From there I traced my Dad's side of the family back to the mid-1700's, including finding my Great-Granddad's grave and first world war memorial over on the east coast. A little bit trickier on my mum's side, with a few links suggested by the site that made no logical sense and then hit a bit of a dead end. Looks like my maternal family line were very much based on the east coast, in Suffolk, and the paternal side from the North West, by Shap. Overall I've managed to tell my mum more about her own family than she ever knew, and frankly 99% of it was new to me as well, and all thanks to a week of messing about on Ancestry's free trial, which is amazing, really. There was one uncle who had a record of boarding a ship from Liverpool to New York. The free trial doesn't include international documents, and I wasn't sure whether I have the desire to follow that thread, or how successful that might prove to be. Interesting though!
« Last Edit: July 9, 2020, 03:30:03 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: July 10, 2020, 09:02:43 am »
I don't know how people do this for a living. But at the same time I absolutely see the appeal.

I've spent the last three days finding out who lived in a particular house during a particular year for something which I'm writing. I started off with a simple search for the street itself on any document at all, so that I could find a resident of the house during any period whose entries on a census or electoral register I could use to learn which districts the street fell under. Once I knew roughly where in a census or electoral register it might be documented, I went looking for it in the ones dated closest to the year I want. And I'm there with a big smile on my face as I'm clicking through the pages thinking I've cracked it - only to find the street is nowhere to be seen. It has all the surrounding streets, just not my one. Yet I know it exists on later records. My first thought was the street got built after the year I wanted. My second was that it was built but was going by a different name during the year I wanted. Took me the best part of two days to discover it was explanation number two. But within a few minutes of eventually learning the original name of the street, I had Dr Robert Jackson's entire life in front of me. My head is absolutely fried from it all. But I would happily sit there and do it over and over again because the satisfaction from finally figuring out the answer to my question was immense.

Edit: I was also after learning the name of the vicar in the local church at the time. I managed to find his surname after a lot of googling of the church's history, but only the initial of his first name was given, and I was drawing a blank finding anything without his full name. Well I've just been looking at the census again out of general fascination, and guess whose name I stumble upon living on the very same street as Robert Jackson. I'm a little bit weirded out, but in a good way.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 11:46:51 am by kellan »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #279 on: September 12, 2020, 02:45:38 am »
Looks like Ancestry has been updating their DNA test percentages. Cue loads of complaints