Poll

Does alien life exist in the universe? (Read OP first)

Yes, definitely
Almost certainly
No idea
Probably not
No way

Author Topic: Does alien life exist?  (Read 113013 times)

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Does alien life exist?
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 04:35:32 pm »
There's probably more evidence for the existence of God than there is for the existence of aliens.

How would we tell the difference ?
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 04:36:51 pm »
How would we tell the difference ?

God has a big white beard and sits on a cloud. Aliens have lots of tentacles and plan world domination using fiendish robots.
Legacy fan

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 04:39:10 pm »
Given I used entropy as my reasoning, I can hardly disagree with the possibility :P

I like the fact that thermodynamics assures us that given infinite space, there is a giant pink dodo with a laser cannon out there.

Or a huge space-turtle with four elephants and an entire world on its shell.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 04:39:22 pm »
There's probably more evidence for the existence of God than there is for the existence of aliens.

The question was "alien life". If you can find me one piece of evidence for the existence of a god on the same level as the Murchison Meteorite, I would be most obliged.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2010, 04:39:45 pm »
Miracles, voices and the like.

Have there been any modern day miracles?

Bar Istanbul, of course.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 04:40:28 pm »

A lot more convincing than the few dozen hillbillies who claim to have been kidnapped by aliens.

That's a completely different argument.

It is highly likely that there is life elsewhere in the universe.

It is highly improbable that we have been visited by aliens. Space is just so big, and the light speed speed limit really limits travel options.

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2010, 04:43:02 pm »
Funny, I just started watching this last night, but fell asleep halfway through as it was a little dull.

Don't know what to make of it really. It was held in 2001, so it might be old news to some of you. I'd never heard of it before though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7vyVe-6YdUk?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7vyVe-6YdUk?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

It is most odd.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2010, 04:43:06 pm »
Leaving aside the Murchison rock for a sec, it is possible, however unlikely, that we are the first and as yet only example of life.
Yep, that's possible to.

If we consider the existence of life as a matter of probabilities across a finite but staggering amount of possibilities, we really need a few more samples either on other planets or aliens visiting us before we jump to the adamant conclusion that there actually is or must be life out there. While it's likely, it's not definite until we have the evidence.

So we hit the problem of detecting such life given not only the timespans of biological species existence, but the timespans of such life being 'noisy' in a radio sense such that we could pick their signals up if we were listening in the right part of the sky. Here on Earth, we only started being noisy about 100 years ago, and with the widespread increasing adoption of fibre optics to replace what would traditional be transmitted by high power radio waves, we will probably go quiet in another 100 years as far as a distant observer is concerned. Imagine that reversed. Taken with the sheer distances involved and the times it would take such signals to hit a remote planet that had reached a development or even bothered to keep such technology, the difficulties of ever proving this within the small time slot are thus considerable. The distances involved in relation to our time are just mind boggling.

Of course, artifacts falling from the sky that could be recognisable as alien would help, but again the probability of them surviving atmospheric entry in such a condition to enable them to be recognised for what they are and without any doubt as such, is pretty small. What looks like a stoney meteorite to us may be a specially constructed sacred worship object to aliens for example. How would we know?

Now we obviously can never rule the possibility of alien life out or it would be foolish to do so, but whether our descendants or even our planet will still be in existence if and when the faint signal finally comes through or their gypsy ship passes us by is another matter.

It's all a nice dream, a wish, perhaps powered by an innate desire to not be alone, and that would answer some questions but that also drives some pretty spectacular science.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2010, 04:43:54 pm »
Can't say 'yes definately' because I havent seen one.

Almost definately for me
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline caspertheghost

• Legacy Fan
  • When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2010, 04:45:51 pm »
Yes undoubtedly it does exist.

Corkboy being an example  ;)
What kind of work gets you the nickname Casper the ghost?

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2010, 04:52:38 pm »

Aliens might be responsible for that.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2010, 04:53:29 pm »
Does it exist or more to the point, has it existed yet.

The earths life span relative to the rest of the cosmos is like comparing a second within a decade of time. Life on other planets could of existed and become now extinct and we are now left all on our own, or, that life is about to sprout up right across the cosmos but our planet will have died and we as a race would of missed the answer to the question of life on other planets.

My answer to the question is a definite yes, I believe there is, will or has been life on other planets; I just don't know if we'll be in the same time frame to ever find out.

Mongo just pawn in game of life..........
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2010, 04:53:38 pm »
The question was "alien life". If you can find me one piece of evidence for the existence of a god on the same level as the Murchison Meteorite, I would be most obliged.

I'd never heard of the Murchison Meteorite before, but at first glance it seems to be very slim evidence for the existence of alien life, like saying that the discovery of a stone means that somewhere a castle exists. There's a long way to go from amino acid to alien life.

There are examples throughout history of miracles etc that have been investigated and found to have no apparent cause other than the actions of a 'God'. I can't list them off the top of my head because to be honest I don't take that great an interest in it but I know that they're written down somewhere.

Strange that you're happy to accept the existence of one thing based on supposition and probability and yet strongly deny another when the 'evidence' would indicate otherwise.
Legacy fan

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2010, 05:08:49 pm »
I'd never heard of the Murchison Meteorite before, but at first glance it seems to be very slim evidence for the existence of alien life, like saying that the discovery of a stone means that somewhere a castle exists. There's a long way to go from amino acid to alien life.

The amino acids are evidence of alien life. I didn't say it had to be complicated or sentient. I see your point about more complex life forms but surely we can say the building blocks are there? By the way, your castle analogy falls a little short as you would still need someone to build the castle. Oh wait....

There are examples throughout history of miracles etc that have been investigated and found to have no apparent cause other than the actions of a 'God'. I can't list them off the top of my head because to be honest I don't take that great an interest in it but I know that they're written down somewhere.

Strange that you're happy to accept the existence of one thing based on supposition and probability and yet strongly deny another when the 'evidence' would indicate otherwise.

The evidence doesn't indicate otherwise. The only evidence you've offered for a god is a non specific list of events for which there was no apparent explanation which, with respect, is shitty enough evidence.

Incidentally, could you point out where in this thread I have "accepted" or "denied" anything?

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2010, 05:11:41 pm »
Incidentally, could you point out where in this thread I have "accepted" or "denied" anything?

Wasn't the OP 'acceptance' of the existence of alien life, based on the Murchison thingy? That's how I read it anyway.

You haven't denied the existence of God in this thread but I think you may have hinted at it once or twice in other threads  ;)
Legacy fan

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2010, 05:17:28 pm »
Wasn't the OP 'acceptance' of the existence of alien life, based on the Murchison thingy? That's how I read it anyway.

You haven't denied the existence of God in this thread but I think you may have hinted at it once or twice in other threads  ;)

Cross thread violation. 9 points deduction for you, my boy.

You're right, I think the Murchison thing is a huge step but then I'm not a biologist so maybe someone else can say whether amino acids can fairly be called "life".

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2010, 05:28:01 pm »
Cross thread violation. 9 points deduction for you, my boy.

You're right, I think the Murchison thing is a huge step but then I'm not a biologist so maybe someone else can say whether amino acids can fairly be called "life".

i'm a biologist, and no they can't.

voted for almost certainly btw.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2010, 05:28:44 pm »
i'm a biologist, and no they can't.

So what's the minimum for life?

Offline felix.

• Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2010, 05:46:27 pm »
but, considering the murchison is but a fragment of data, just one of a billion billion comets cruising through space, it would be wild to suggest there's no alien life. there's more amino acids where those came from. what will become of them? something, and it will be alive. for these amino acids to become something more complex there has to be a DNA or RNA strand that will dictate the way the amino acids bind into a protein. they DNA/RNA is probably there. the same organic chemicals that bulid amino acids build the nucleotides of DNA/RNA. once protein synthesis starts it can be considered 'alive' imo. it's just a matter of time.

the other matter is the matter of space. because of the vastness of space, i think any conformation of ET life is unlikely in my lifetime. our neighbour galaxy andromeda, is more than 2 million light years away. even if living organisms have been thriving somewhere in andromeda for 1.9 million years, we still won't have a clue. i'm positive there are civilizations just like ours somewhere in a galaxy far far away, the problem is whenever we look at them we're looking millions of years into the past. maybe this is a good thing, because if we knew about each other we'd probably be killing each other.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2010, 05:46:30 pm »
Is that because of the Murchison Meteorite?

What's that?   
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2010, 05:50:59 pm »
Is there any evidence that there is any difference.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2010, 05:52:10 pm »
Does the Physical World exist?

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2010, 05:54:32 pm »
I find it funny the way a lot people say ' out there '. Who's to say that they aren't here, have been or having as whacky as it may seem , even seeded the human race.  Ancient Astronuats and all that. Aren't there even references to these entities in the bible, in ancient art and other texts?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2010, 05:55:00 pm »
Does the Physical World exist?

Apparantly not.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2010, 05:56:47 pm »
I voted almost certainly - why?

because in the universe, a limitless place there has to be another planet with life, maybe not as we know it, maybe not carbon based lifeforms that bread oxygen etc but life.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2010, 05:57:38 pm »

About ten years probably, with good behaviour.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2010, 06:04:01 pm »
And again!

I find it funny the way a lot people say ' out there '. Who's to say that they aren't here, have been or having as whacky as it may seem , even seeded the human race.  Ancient Astronuats and all that. Aren't there even references to these entities in the bible, in ancient art and other texts?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline felix.

• Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2010, 06:14:20 pm »

well, by definition, a living organism has to be able to perform basic metabolic functions, to maintain a state of homeostasis (maintaining internal parameters within relatively small boundaries), to grow, and to reproduce.

but viruses, for example, cannot grow nor reproduce, at least not on their own. viruses inject their own DNA or RNA into the cell of a host, take over their DNA/RNA replicating mechanisms, and produce lots of virus DNA/RNA which are then packed into little virus bodies. so are they not alive?

i can't answer your question directly, but let me put it this way. if you had a bucket full of amino acids, and dropped in a strand of DNA from an amoeba and the RNA's that are needed to translate from DNA to protein (ribosomes), you'd have a couple of amoebas in no time. the question is where does this translating mechanism, or ribosome, come from. this is basically a couple of RNA strands (tRNA, mRNA, rRNA) that are basically of the same structure, with subtle differences that allow them to perform various tasks. the theory says that the first ones synthesized over time, the nucleotides binding randomly until everything clicked into place. basically by trial and error. so i guess that's going on somewhere else, or has already gone on. from then on the DNA will evolve until it gets to the point where a strand of DNA codes for all the proteins necessary to build a living organism, and then it can live and reproduce.

if the amino acids are the building blocks of life, then DNA and RNA are the engineers/builders. there's along way to go from amino acids to life.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2010, 06:17:04 pm »

It sounds dangerously close to the works of convicted fraudster Erich von Däniken.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2010, 06:19:13 pm »

Well, evolution would counter the idea of aliens "seeding" the human race.
Though there is an argument that life on Earth originated (in some form) from space. But that's completely different from the idea of intelligent alien life, which is what you seem to be talking about.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2010, 06:23:41 pm »
Considering the vastness of space, and the vastness of time I think there's a high probability that there is/was/will be other forms of life out there.

However, I think the likelyhood of there being an intelligent alien lifeform that is a)able to communicate, b)close enough to reach, and c)in existance at the exact same time as us is very, very low.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2010, 07:01:19 pm »
Considering the vastness of space, and the vastness of time I think there's a high probability that there is/was/will be other forms of life out there.

a)able to communicate

they could. just not in a way we could decipher
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline cathy-lfc-taff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2010, 07:03:15 pm »
Got to be. The universe is much to big just for us human cretins to be the only occupants.

And what will happen is we'll find it, and then we'll kill it.
I wish my balls were as big as Dirk's.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2010, 07:31:27 pm »
There's a chance of life on Mars to be fair, as well as one of Jupiter's moons, Europa.

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:58 pm »
Voted "almost certainly"

Basically because, when i was stoned outside my house in Speke the other day, I saw this massive, metal object come in from the left as I was looking, and gradually come lower and lower before appearing to land in some fields just off the hale road.

Apparantly, its quite a common occurence as well. So basically, there must be.

And incidentally, i consider anything non-human to be alien. Spiders are deffo aliens. And a lot fuckin scarier then some green chap with an oversized head asking to be taken to my dealer.
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2010, 07:42:15 pm »
There's a chance of life on Mars to be fair

davidbowie@tincan.com

87:13

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2010, 08:38:15 pm »
davidbowie@tincan.com

Clear signs of the presence of liquid water (landscape and gypsum), sub surface water and trace of methane do quite possibly point towards archaea. Maybe not intelligent life, but bacteria would be a start.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2010, 09:12:04 pm »
What's that?   

You didn't bother to read the opening post, did you?

Offline sparkiemark73

• Legacy Fan
  • Hairway to Steven
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2010, 11:18:41 pm »
Yes but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it.
"Here's Dalglish...........Oh and a goal!!"
PSN - sparkness08

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2010, 11:32:43 pm »
Only in the movies....

87:13