Author Topic: Societal Impact of COVID-19  (Read 16004 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Societal Impact of COVID-19
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2020, 04:39:53 pm »
“Ten reasons to END the lockdown now”. Did you read it?

I did read it and the thing is that several of those reasons have been used by the right to justify getting out of lockdown. Its even advocating herd immunity without saying as much.

The right have criticised the government because The Telegraph and Spectator are desperate to remove the lockdown completely.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2020, 05:45:35 pm »
I did read it and the thing is that several of those reasons have been used by the right to justify getting out of lockdown. Its even advocating herd immunity without saying as much.

The right have criticised the government because The Telegraph and Spectator are desperate to remove the lockdown completely.

There are many voices from the left making much the same arguments. He’s unhappy with much of Johnson/Cummings/CMO/CSO modelling, and I believe his views aren’t tainted by ‘hard right’ political considerations.

I don’t know enough yet to do other than sit on the fence, but I’m not prepared to dismiss his views out of hand simply on the basis of where it appears.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2020, 07:31:57 pm »
There are many voices from the left making much the same arguments. He’s unhappy with much of Johnson/Cummings/CMO/CSO modelling, and I believe his views aren’t tainted by ‘hard right’ political considerations.

I don’t know enough yet to do other than sit on the fence, but I’m not prepared to dismiss his views out of hand simply on the basis of where it appears.

There are loads of arguments to get on with it really. I want footballers to get back to playing so it would be hypocritical to say that we shouldnt be allowed back out.

The problem is that we dont really know and is that a risk worth taking? Only Sweden seem to be aiming for herd immunity. Clearly there are enough scientists in other countries that think its a crazy experiment.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2020, 10:55:31 pm »
There are loads of arguments to get on with it really. I want footballers to get back to playing so it would be hypocritical to say that we shouldnt be allowed back out.

The problem is that we dont really know and is that a risk worth taking? Only Sweden seem to be aiming for herd immunity. Clearly there are enough scientists in other countries that think its a crazy experiment.

Sweden's official line is not the herd immunity. It's the same as everyone else's - avoid overloading the healthcare system. So far it has worked. Healthcare has been stretched, but at least officially it's been running at 90% at most. One difference is that early on Sweden decided not to trust the models and decided against a full lockdown. The experts here didn't believe 1% of the population would die from the virus. Nor did they believe the virus could be stopped once it was out. The idea was to avoid a lockdown, keep kids in schools etc. With a more relaxed approach, but still recommendations for people to keep distance, work from home etc, the purpose was to have a long term strategy. A strategy that could stay the same for many months. A couple of months in Sweden's recommendations are the same as before. Nothing is being relaxed. In people's minds and behavior maybe so, but not in the official recommendations. What's happening is everywhere else things are being relaxed.

For us this is a bit strange. For example we get recommendations from my company's international headquarters that everyone needs to buy face masks. We haven't been using masks for the past two months. Maybe that was a mistake, but we haven't done it. So far it has not caused any problems. Our big problem is the elderly have been exposed. 90% of deaths come from people aged 70+ and the biggest part are 85+. They are now being isolated or people avoid going to meet their parents/grandparents. If anything was bad with our approach, it was the failure to move faster to protect the elderly.

I think it's sad that elderly are being isolated. Necessary, but still sad. You get stories where elderly are dying and people can say goodbye, nor can they go to the funeral. That's cruel. Maybe necessary, but still cruel. It's also a bit cruel when children decide not to visit their parents, even though parents are willing to risk getting sick. I understand the reasons, but it's odd when healthy senior citizens are being treated like kids.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Online vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2020, 09:51:12 am »
Really rooting for Lalo Salamanca, great character
He scares the shit out of me - But I know what you mean.  :D

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2020, 02:33:48 am »

Parking Cull And Pocket Parks For England’s Finest Street As Newcastle Plans Post-Pandemic Future

“As for the curve of Grey Street,” wrote poet John Betjeman, “I shall never forget seeing it to perfection, traffic-less on a misty Sunday morning.”

That 1948 remark about the traffic-free perfection of one of England’s most beautiful streets could be about to come at least partially true—many of the lucrative fee-generating parking spaces on Newcastle’s iconic Neoclassical street are to be removed, making room for a cycleway and more space for pedestrians. And it’s all thanks to COVID-19.

Newcastle is the latest city to unveil pandemic measures to curb motor vehicles and, in addition to culling parking spaces from what renowned architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner called the “finest street in England,” Newcastle City Council will be introducing pop-up cycleways, widened sidewalks, and more 20mph streets.

Longer-term, Newcastle is also considering a workplace parking levy and road charging, including for ultra-low emission vehicles.

The raft of measures are “pro-city,” says the council, not “anti-car.”

Grey Street was built in the 1830s and runs downhill from the 130ft monument erected to celebrate the Northumbrian-born Prime Minister Earl Grey, who, with the 1832 Reform Act, kickstarted Britain’s modern democracy.

Currently, motorists are allowed—for a fee—to park cars and vans on both sides of Grey Street.

Hard cell

As well as transforming Grey Street, Newcastle City Council proposes to “implement the same format of roadspace reallocation to local shopping centers and schools.”

Newcastle will also be introducing “red routes” on major through routes—motorists cannot stop on these routes. The menace of sidewalk parking will also be tackled, said the council.

A Ghent-style traffic circulation plan will be implemented over time. In 2017, officials divided this Belgian city into six zones and, through signage and hard infrastructure, motorists were diverted on to distributor roads rather than being able to drive directly from zone to zone. Furthermore, a small central zone, including much of the old town, was closed to private cars. Driving in the six outer zones—or “cells”—was still possible, but car journeys became longer. 

Pedestrians and cyclists were not subject to the same restrictions, and could travel swiftly into central Ghent. Because of this ease of use, and fewer cars, there was a massive jump in the amount of people who cycled in the Flanders city, rising 60% between 2016 and 2018.

Newcastle’s version of this traffic circulation plan would be a low-cost way of making a “walking and cycling network to connect every school, to every park, to every local shopping center,” said a council document.

Blight

In the 1970s, Newcastle was cut through with an urban freeway network—the Central Motorway—that Alderman Donald Gilbert, chairman of Newcastle’s transport committee, described at the time as a “moderate solution to the car-versus-city question in which the tremendous benefits of the private car can be retained and exploited without detriment to the social and economic life of our city center.”

In reality, the Central Motorway destroyed and blighted much of the inner city. Recognizing the faults of the past, Newcastle City Council now says it wants to “reassert the supremacy of the city over its traffic.”

The city has a “compelling vision” for the future “set within the context of a recovery from a pandemic that has threatened public health and economic activity.”

This vision explains there will be “long-term gain to offset any short-term pain; a vision that’s not anti-car, but pro-city.”

The council says, “experimental changes to our transport network can facilitate a new way of envisaging our future.”

Temporary changes will soon be made to “widen [sidewalks] and reallocate roadspace to walking, queuing, bikes and buses in the city center, radial routes and in neighborhoods.” Next year “low traffic neighborhoods” will be “extended across the city.”

These “temporary changes to roadspace reallocation” will be “made semi-permanent or altered in response to experience and changes to the progressive [lockdown] relaxation,” suggests the council.

TRO

An experimental traffic regulation order will be used on Grey Street to “change the allocation of space.” The council says, “we are signaling our intention to maintain this new use of space into the long term.”

Motor vehicles would have one-way access to a narrowed carriageway, cyclists would have a cycleway and pedestrians would get 5 meters more sidewalk; and there would be pocket parks in place of parking spaces. Although some parking spaces would remain, “prices would be increased,” says the council document.

In the near future “on-street parking should be removed,” and “parking should be located toward the edge of the city center.”

Speed

“New measures and road layouts, starting in the city center, will be introduced quickly,” said a council statement, “in some cases from as early as next week.”

Plans are being developed to manage the flow of people walking and queuing on the city’s main shopping streets, including the introduction of one-way pedestrian systems and markings on the ground to indicate two meter “social distancing.”

Council “marshalls” may be used to help people understand the new system both for how to get about the area, and where to queue.

In addition, pedestrian crossings will be re-set throughout the city center to give more frequent priority for people using them.

“This will help to avoid large groups having to gather together while waiting to cross the road,” says the council.

“Our city is facing a huge economic challenge in terms of its recovery from coronavirus,” said Newcastle’s council leader Nick Forbes.

He added: “It’s important that our immediate focus is on how people can safely move around with proper social distancing and space to walk and cycle, which people are choosing to do in increasing numbers. We will be looking closely at how these short term and essential measures that we are introducing now can help us move towards the city that we want future generations to be able to enjoy.”

Councillor Arlene Ainsley, cabinet member for transport and air quality at Newcastle City Council, added: “We know some people will choose to make journeys by car, but we would strongly recommend going by bike or on foot wherever possible.”

She stressed: “It is vital that we don’t revert back to the idea that it is acceptable for the car to be the default option as in the longer term this will have serious implications for our environment and our health.”

Welcoming the city’s transformation plans, AA president Edmund King, who was a student in Newcastle, remembered the “beauty of walking up Grey Street from the station some 40 years ago.”

King, still familiar with the city because of his visiting professorship at Newcastle University, added:

“Enhancing the beauty of this street to encourage more walking and cycling is a major step forward for this wonderful city.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2020/05/15/parking-cull-and-pocket-parks-for-englands-finest-street-as-newcastle-plans-post-pandemic-future/#1651a9bd10df

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2020, 03:35:17 am »
I get the feeling there may be a dearth of fresh TV and movies considering production has virtually come to a complete standstill. Having said that I've started to watch foreign programmes like Money Heist and Dark (Netflix Germany) that I wouldn't normally consider.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2020, 06:22:38 pm »
Coronavirus: Shopping may never be the same, says M&S

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52724901

Cambridge University: All lectures to be online-only until summer of 2021

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/education-52732814?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2020, 01:08:43 pm »
What a surprise  ::)

Nearly half of the Twitter accounts spreading messages on the social media platform about the coronavirus pandemic are likely bots, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University said on Wednesday.

Researchers culled through more than 200 million tweets since January discussing the virus and found that about 45% were sent by accounts that behave more like computerized robots than humans.

It is too early to say conclusively what individuals or groups are behind the bot accounts, but researchers said the tweets appeared aimed at sowing divisions in America.

More here: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/20/859814085/researchers-nearly-half-of-accounts-tweeting-about-coronavirus-are-likely-bots?

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2020, 05:06:23 pm »
^ he could think about an agreement with Ireland, Germany, Italy and France, they  have significant manufacturing capabilities in textiles and medical devices including PPE and ventilators.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2020, 07:12:33 pm »
^ he could think about an agreement with Ireland, Germany, Italy and France, they  have significant manufacturing capabilities in textiles and medical devices including PPE and ventilators.
Have like, some sort of union with them?
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2020, 12:53:13 pm »
Will Covid-19 lead to long-term food shortages and price rises?
Industry experts explore whether food shortages and other issues, including price increases, could be on the way…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/food_security

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2020, 01:17:23 pm »
Coronavirus: UK economy could be worst hit among leading nations, says OECD

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52991913

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2020, 05:32:51 pm »
Coronavirus: UK economy could be worst hit among leading nations, says OECD

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52991913

And that Brewer woman tweeted the OECD to leave us alone -until someone pointed out we are members.

English exceptionalism at its finest
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2020, 05:34:09 pm »
Five ways gigs might change in the future

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3JPFKB9DQkGk3bJcL7spkN1/five-ways-gigs-might-change-in-the-future

Sounds fucking shit and there is a feeling that at some point we will have to get back things we enjoy. I am starting to hate the term ‘the new normal’.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2020, 02:27:06 pm »
Knowledge vaccuum is going to be a big one. Our work had a voluntary departure program to ease things. About 200+ people left many with 20+ years experience. In normal times many would have left in the next 5 or so years. I think you'll see this in many companies.

There will be a massive hole in how to perform certain functions with little in the way of a proper knowledge management process. And while some people will get reassigned to new roles in these companies, you'll likely not see many new hires to backfill the positions of people who have been reassigned. Cue less people doing more work at likely reduced wages

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2020, 09:39:31 am »
Coronavirus: Children 'developing post-traumatic stress' from pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53097289

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2020, 09:15:52 pm »
COVID-19 Broke the Economy. What If We Don’t Fix It?
Instead of reopening society for the sake of the economy, what if we continued to work less, buy less, make less—for the sake of the planet?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qj4ka5/covid-19-broke-the-economy-what-if-we-dont-fix-it

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2020, 11:00:55 pm »
COVID-19 Broke the Economy. What If We Don’t Fix It?
Instead of reopening society for the sake of the economy, what if we continued to work less, buy less, make less—for the sake of the planet?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qj4ka5/covid-19-broke-the-economy-what-if-we-dont-fix-it

Such a transition will take a long time. Years, perhaps decades. We can certainly buy less stuff, but given the debt levels it's rather time to pay for the things people/corporations/nations have bought on credit. In order to do that people need to work more and buy less. We can't just stop working, but long term we can change what we work with. In the next couple of years we are most likely in for some serious problems. Here's one example:

“Tourist trips globally could drop this year 58%-78% compared w/2019 & destinations could lose up to $1T in tourism incom ending decade of continuous growth.
Globally, the travel and tourism sectors generated 330 million direct and indirect jobs in 2019, according to the World Travel and Tourism Council. However, their recent research suggests the industry is on track to lose more than 100 million jobs because of the pandemic, with 75% of them likely to come from G20 economies. Already 25 million jobs were lost in one month as of late April, WTTC research shows.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-travel-during-coronavirus-tourism/

There's no way all those people can find new jobs quickly. So they can't consume, but nor can they pay off debt and governments will lose tax revenue. Governments can't then fund new projects without going even deeper into debt. If we can't find a magic wand somewhere this could end very, very badly for a lot of people.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2020, 09:39:30 am »
Just reading a post about someone out of the office sick and should we be worried if they have covid, which reminded me of my niece having a similar reaction to someone having a stroke in her workplace but the whole place was shut down due to the 'risk'. She was texting me what happened so was really worried about herself and my first reaction was he probably had a turn as had all the signs of it. The empathy goes out of the window with some of us if there is a 'risk' as can see people turning the other way now when help would have been at hand before. It brought me back to my original post below which I posted only 2 months ago as the craziness of the situation can bring the best out of us but more often than not we go back to our routines when given a chance. I see less people out walking these days, people commuting to work when the whole world is crying out for less traffic congestion, rubbish strewn around the roads, beaches & countryside where a couple of months ago there was none. I laugh when I hear someone took a dump in Johnny Depps bed but you know what as a society we take a shit on our own front door step every day it seems.

In some ways we have a clean (er) slate to work from and while its a right old kick in the nads it is also an opportunity to get back on a better track somewhat. Hopefully we can improve on life as a whole but as someone said the world revolves around on greed & we have become lazier and lazier with every generation. The corporate world is dying for us to get back to spending the money we barely have as their shareholders are crying out for their dividends.  Perhaps I am harsh about saying we are lazier but in a generation or two we now would not dream of washing a nappy.  If I can bin my plates into a machine instead of hand washing the dishes feck yeah...it all leads to each generation just getting that bit softer and the first thing some folks did in some areas was rush out to their McNasty's once they reopen up again. Obesity levels will continue to rise, we will become more depended on credit cards to get us out of this hole and that clean slate where we could have worked from home more, get a handle on the environment issues etc suddenly lose focus as our chief concern may be just survival as everyone is hurting. Our pockets are not so deep which you can see in the drop off in charity donations.

There is too many pricks in charge to let us change our ways as why would they want us to stay at home more? Less money spent on cars, petrol, lunches at the local shopping center where you might buy a tshirt, pants, phone or whatever on your 30 min break. Someone mentioned we are going back to the work lines without the proper care and attention by our leaders who sit at home getting full pay, who would not dream of sharing a desk. The 2m safe distant rule will become 1m  & eventually will be 'ignored' in certain industries as the world does rotate around greed.

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2020, 12:51:21 pm »
Seems to be a post-9/11 style surge with companies peddling all sorts of high-tech solutions. Will be interesting to see if bacteria-killing UV robots in supermarkets/hotels and on planes become the norm going forward

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2020, 02:16:37 am »

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2021, 04:13:15 pm »
Covid: Masks and social distancing 'could last years'

People may need to wear face coverings and socially distance for several years until we return to normality, a leading epidemiologist has predicted.

Mary Ramsay, the head of immunisation at Public Health England, said basic measures could be in place until other countries successfully roll out jabs.

She also said a return of big spectator events required careful monitoring and clear instructions about staying safe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56475807

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2021, 06:03:08 pm »
Coronavirus: Children 'developing post-traumatic stress' from pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53097289

This is sad but true.
I'm a football coach and we're starting back up again this weekend. One of our parents kids hasn't gone back to school properly yet as he's scared of being close to other children. How he'll be this weekend we just don't know yet
Nah.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2021, 06:32:53 pm »
This is sad but true.
I'm a football coach and we're starting back up again this weekend. One of our parents kids hasn't gone back to school properly yet as he's scared of being close to other children. How he'll be this weekend we just don't know yet
That’s sad.

I think most kids who have gone back are pretty much back on track..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2021, 07:27:10 pm »
That’s sad.

Have you had a huge upsurge in safeguarding the last few weeks?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2021, 07:28:17 pm »
This is sad but true.

Hopefully kids like this will bounce back quite quick once things get a bit more "normal" and they're able to get back playing with their friends.

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2021, 08:35:49 pm »
I work for a local authority and the vast majority of referrals to their safeguarding and early help services come from schools, particularly primary schools.  Both times that the schools were closed for extended periods the number of referrals dropped to almost zero and then followed huge spikes when the schools went back with many families being much deeper in the mire than would normally have been the case.

I'm a few steps removed from the coal face (and gratefully so!) but from the work I do with that service I pick up bits and pieces and it sounds like Covid - or more precisely, the lockdowns - have taken a horrible toll.  I like a good moan and vent on here but I know that I have it relatively easy (working from home, two parent family, kids without any serious issues, a garden! etc).   Some of the stories put it into context and the professionals are really downbeat about the prospects of turning around the fortunes of the sheer quantity of families that have drifted into a really bad way  :(

We're also represented at the haggling for central funds table by Robert Jenrick...  :butt

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2021, 09:04:07 pm »
I work for a local authority and the vast majority of referrals to their safeguarding and early help services come from schools, particularly primary schools.  Both times that the schools were closed for extended periods the number of referrals dropped to almost zero and then followed huge spikes when the schools went back with many families being much deeper in the mire than would normally have been the case.

I'm a few steps removed from the coal face (and gratefully so!) but from the work I do with that service I pick up bits and pieces and it sounds like Covid - or more precisely, the lockdowns - have taken a horrible toll.  I like a good moan and vent on here but I know that I have it relatively easy (working from home, two parent family, kids without any serious issues, a garden! etc).   Some of the stories put it into context and the professionals are really downbeat about the prospects of turning around the fortunes of the sheer quantity of families that have drifted into a really bad way  :(

We're also represented at the haggling for central funds table by Robert Jenrick...  :butt

Life was hard enough as it was for so many families.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2021, 10:15:43 pm »
Covid: Masks and social distancing 'could last years'

People may need to wear face coverings and socially distance for several years until we return to normality, a leading epidemiologist has predicted.

Mary Ramsay, the head of immunisation at Public Health England, said basic measures could be in place until other countries successfully roll out jabs.

She also said a return of big spectator events required careful monitoring and clear instructions about staying safe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56475807

In many aspects, children are the forgotten victims in the pandemic.

A couple of the replies in this thread are laughable.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 07:18:43 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2021, 10:22:51 pm »

In many aspects, children are the forgotten victims in the pandemic.

Some of the replies in this thread are laughable.

I watched that interview. She was having a laugh if she thinks people will carry on social distancing for years.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2021, 10:46:21 am »

I think a lot of children from deprived areas will likely have long term effects of not having the appropriate resources needed for online studies. Then there's the lack of social element that kids often need to form an understanding of how to interact with one another.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2021, 11:36:30 am »
I think a lot of children from deprived areas will likely have long term effects of not having the appropriate resources needed for online studies. Then there's the lack of social element that kids often need to form an understanding of how to interact with one another.

I agree.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2021, 11:40:32 am »
I watched that interview. She was having a laugh if she thinks people will carry on social distancing for years.

I agree.  It's neither sustainable, or good for our health.  We are a social species, social interactions are needed for us to function properly, especially when younger.

Online spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2021, 11:43:07 am »
I really feel for the kids and teens.   Meant to be the best years of their lives (and the parents) and they have been stuck inside so much

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2021, 12:08:01 pm »
I can tell you now that it does affect kids. My daughter (15) has been a changed person since she went back to school. She is smiling again and was excited to get back and see her mates. That really showed me how much it was affecting her. My eldest nephew is 12 and a real live wire. My sister tells me he had been climbing the walls and his frustration was coming out as anger. He again has changed over the last week or two with going back to school and seeing his mates again. My youngest nephew is approaching 2 years old and thinks everyone lives through a bloody screen !!!

"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2021, 12:14:54 pm »
It does effect kids. I hate Boris but he and the government did the right thing bringing schools back and if anything I think it should have come sooner. Its without doubt the most important thing that was closed during lockdown.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2021, 02:45:24 pm »
I really feel for the kids and teens.   Meant to be the best years of their lives (and the parents) and they have been stuck inside so much

I've seen a huge change for the worst in my 10yr old over the past 12 months due to not being with his mates. He's lucky he gets on so well with his older brother and being 3 years apart has helped, but he needed to see his mates. The playstations have at least allowed them to play together and we did do family walks. School were useless in home learning and I'm too busy at work to sit for hours teaching him, but he's bright and ahead of where he should have been, so I'm not worried about that, except he was so used to not doing schoolwork he hated going back. Since he's been back at school he's changing back to be more of the kid he was. The 12 yr old dealt with it better thankfully.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA