Author Topic: The Handmaid's Tale (2017 adaptation)  (Read 18457 times)

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Handmaid's Tale (2017 adaptation)
« Reply #80 on: June 4, 2019, 02:15:10 am »
Season 3 about to start in a couple of days. I'm unsure about this show, especially the direction it has taken since it ran out of book material. The whole reason for the point-of-view character was that the story was being told from the vantage point of an ordinary person caught up in a totalitarian system. Their perspective was local, their sufferings and minor triumphs personally compelling. But it seems like the show wants to make June into a superhero type character, leading the resistance from within Gilead. That's going to be hard to pull off.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #81 on: June 9, 2019, 11:39:50 pm »

I loved the opening episode to Season 3 - roll on next week :)

Spoiler
I did expect Martin Sheen Mr President to walk in when 'Josh and Zoe' had a two-shot scene together though... ;)
[close]
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2019, 10:04:51 pm »
Thought the opener for season 3 was fantastic. Full of hope. The burning was quite cathartic if that's the right word. Brilliantly shot as usual. Hope it's not going to be too grim.
bollocks

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2019, 02:39:50 pm »
Getting abit bored of it now to be honest.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2019, 04:20:55 pm »
Season 3 about to start in a couple of days. I'm unsure about this show, especially the direction it has taken since it ran out of book material. The whole reason for the point-of-view character was that the story was being told from the vantage point of an ordinary person caught up in a totalitarian system. Their perspective was local, their sufferings and minor triumphs personally compelling. But it seems like the show wants to make June into a superhero type character, leading the resistance from within Gilead. That's going to be hard to pull off.

This is the problem, like. I enjoyed the second series especially the first 2 thirds of it - it had a tone I liked, high brow horror buzz. But to prolong it, it had to get worse unfortunately - turn the June character into something illogical, the Martha's underground railroad resistance too.  The Josh Lyman guy is doing my head in too, he's such an unpredictable character he's just a plot device. Thinking of binning it now too. Pity - the first series was a great adaptation.

Looking forward to Atwood's prequel though, in light of recent events in the states, Alabama, Trump/Pence etc.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2019, 09:24:37 am »
Agreed with the last 2 posts, I'm just watching out of a sense of duty now (my wife is the one keeping us in it). I can Only endure so many close-ups of June having quiet mental breakdowns; I actually burst out laughing at her eyebrow twitch in the last episode. And yeah, Josh Lynam just appears to be there for deus ex machina opportunities.

I also think a show that unfurls its plot lines so excruciatingly slowly owes us some further explanation of what happened to leave the world infertile. Yes, the colony scenes gave us a hint, but it's about time they put some meat on those bones.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2019, 01:03:53 pm »
I've just stopped watching. It's too slow and just lost interest in it all unfortunately.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2019, 03:33:27 pm »
I've just stopped watching. It's too slow and just lost interest in it all unfortunately.

It's always been a bit of a slow burner , but agree - Could do with upping the pace a bit.
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2019, 07:45:33 pm »
Les Miz II
Kill the humourless

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2019, 05:39:14 am »
Season 4 needs to be the last season with June getting home with her fella and kids, otherwise I will fuck it off
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2019, 09:12:00 am »
As one of the "I wish they'd show more international politics and the machinations behind the coup" brigade, this season has been bloody frustrating.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2019, 09:38:18 pm »
It wouldn't be so bad if they were short 40 odd minute episodes but 55 minutes feels like 3 hours watching this.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2019, 10:20:54 pm »
Enjoyed season one very much. Season two dragged a bit but I enjoyed the expansion of the universe, but I binned off season 3 after two eps. Will Just wait for the prequel novel.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2019, 11:26:59 pm »
Some of the most powerful plot armour I've seen, here.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2019, 03:43:22 pm »

That was some ending - I loved this season; a bit of a slowburner at times - though those last three episodes... wow! :)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2019, 03:52:11 pm »
That was some ending - I loved this season; a bit of a slowburner at times - though those last three episodes... wow! :)

Yeah, the last few have been brilliant, I was ready to give up a few weeks ago but glad I stuck with it.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2019, 10:20:28 pm »

The series is not finished yet, this next episode is going to be brilliant I am certain. This has got better with each series which is unusual especially as the first series was all she wrote.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2019, 02:24:28 am »
Maybe I should finish s3 then. I abandoned it about 6 weeks ago, after the episode where she
Spoiler
watched/did the hanging of the woman who helped her locate her kid,
[close]
then did the twitchy eyelid thing. It was just too much slow torture. Maybe we can grind out the remaining episodes and I'll hope my wife doesn't notice the ads for s4.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:17:44 pm by GreatEx »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2019, 11:28:26 am »
Fucks sake, should not have popped my head in here.

Use fucking spoilers.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2019, 02:28:41 pm »

The series is not finished yet, this next episode is going to be brilliant I am certain. This has got better with each series which is unusual especially as the first series was all she wrote.

That was the final episode of the season, I'm fairly sure.
---Rilke

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2019, 02:31:26 pm »
That was the final episode of the season, I'm fairly sure.

If you're watching weekly on Channel 4 then tomorrow is episode 11 of 13.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2019, 02:33:17 pm »
If you're watching weekly on Channel 4 then tomorrow is episode 11 of 13.

Ah, fair enough. You really shouldn't be in this thread then, because there are some spoilers in here!
---Rilke

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2019, 02:35:20 pm »
Ah, fair enough. You really shouldn't be in this thread then, because there are some spoilers in here!
To be fair right at the top of the Media and Arts forum is a sticky about spoilers.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=92379.0

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2019, 02:35:23 pm »

Thanks for the warning, I would have expected people to be following in line with the UK episodes so didn't think of the possibility of spoilers!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2019, 02:47:13 pm »
Thanks for the warning, I would have expected people to be following in line with the UK episodes so didn't think of the possibility of spoilers!

Agreed, plus having the common decency to use the spoiler tags for those who, even if the UK air date was the same, happened to be a few days behind watching.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2019, 11:08:46 pm »
Tonight's episode (11) was really good. Series 1 good. Things happened, there was jeopardy and consequences. Canada got its balls out for a change.

And to top it all off, the magisterial Kate Bush.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2019, 10:55:07 pm »
Delighted people coming out supporting this season. It's been fantastic for me if a tad slow at times. Latest episode was wonderful and really uplifting. I'm totally engaged with the series which doesn't happen too often.
Cmon June. CMON THE RESISTANCE [emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696]
bollocks

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2019, 10:55:39 pm »
Tonight's episode (11) was really good. Series 1 good. Things happened, there was jeopardy and consequences. Canada got its balls out for a change.

Kate the highlight. What a track.
bollocks

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2019, 12:03:36 pm »
This season has been great, It's been a lot darker than the previous 2 seasons.

I hope in the next season we see stuff what's happening in Chicago with the big resistance movement there, they alluded to it a lot in this season.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2019, 12:05:34 pm »
I'd love to see how it all came about in more detail - think a prequel series leading into the resistance movement would be excellent.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2019, 12:21:20 pm »

Yep thought it was brilliant after what's been a slow paced season. Thought this one and the one that gave us a background on Aunt Lydia were the stand outs. Just feel the series is too long - will be interesting to see how they wrap this one up.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2019, 10:19:34 pm »
Kate the highlight. What a track.

GLOW got the Bush out in its penultimate episode too. Winner.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: September 2, 2019, 11:20:34 am »
Decent season finale.

Spoiler
Seemed slightly too easy, but then most of it has been this series. Remember when they almost hanged dozens of them for refusing to stone someone?

Enjoyed the storm trooper guardian being taken out by the ewoks handmaids with stones.
[close]

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 2, 2019, 12:56:48 pm »
Decent season finale.

Spoiler
Seemed slightly too easy, but then most of it has been this series. Remember when they almost hanged dozens of them for refusing to stone someone?

Enjoyed the storm trooper guardian being taken out by the ewoks handmaids with stones.
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah, I enjoyed it, although I did pretty much second guess what was going to happen. Nicely left open for another series though.
[close]

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2019, 12:41:32 am »
My wife and I finally resumed s3 after a long hiatus. Watched eps 8-11 over the weekend. The tone has shifted from boring to ridiculous, which is definitely an improvement. Just a couple of things that bug me:

- why does such a hyperpuritan, militant theocracy seemingly not have any surveillance. People are plotting, scheming and committing capital crimes all over the place, yet not a single CCTV or listening device to be seen. Imagine if they bugged the frudge at the supermarket!

-
Spoiler
are we really supposed to believe that Lawrence and Waterford didn't anticipate the effects their new world would have on women's mental health? A very cackhanded way of provoking sympathy for the antagonists before they get taken diwn, methinks. Fuck 'em!
[close]

Online royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 3, 2019, 11:35:48 am »
Binge watching this with the boss.

I have it at number 1 in my all time box sets of all time.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2020, 03:35:48 pm »
Binged watched the 3 seasons the past few days. Most exhausting TV show I have ever watched, Brilliant but exhausting. Anyone know what time line they were on? June seems to forget about her husband pretty quickly when she meets Nick.

Would love a prequal, The planning that would have to be included in taking over a country with the power and size of America wouldn't of been easy. They had numerous soliders on the streets so they must have an army of like 5 million  ;D

Look forward to season 4, Probably would of been out next month but now it's looking like next year.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2020, 09:38:02 pm »
I binned this off for being too slow but it sounds like it picked up again and got faster paced? I might have to give S3 another run if thats the case. 
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2020, 12:25:34 pm »
Filming for season 4 is about to start again! I know a lot of people had problems with it or got bored but I love this show!  ;D

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a33815113/handmaids-tale-season-4-filming-return/?utm_content=bufferb8e86&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=maintwitterpost

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2020, 12:26:28 pm »
Loved 1 & 2, thought 3 was so so, but will def give 4 a watch and hope for the best.