Author Topic: Inside No. 9 - BBC2 New series starts 10th May 2021  (Read 54181 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Inside No. 9 - BBC2
« Reply #120 on: March 4, 2017, 12:02:34 am »
Surely it must be? Why else choose those initials.

Read the Guardian article.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #121 on: March 6, 2017, 03:00:43 pm »
Read the Guardian article.

having read the article, it's a little disappointing that it isn't... although i still have my suspicions that the masters of misdirection are once again misdirecting...

brilliant episode once again.  the slow, laborious, unintentionally patronising explanation of how to solve a cryptic crossword clue felt very familiar, and it brought back memories of having it explained to me and then later explaining to others once i'd seen the light :)

one thing that occurred to me over the last few episodes is that there is probably no-one i would like more to be the next doctor in 'doctor who' than reece shearsmith.

Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: March 7, 2017, 05:49:19 pm »
Other than the Christmas episode I am now bang up to date with all 3 seasons of IN9

Some of the episodes have been nothing short of genius and its incredible to me how Pemberton and Shearsmith always seem to make many of the episodes both hilarious and frightening in equal measures. Its a rollercoaster of a journey with every episode you watch.

Cant wait for tonight's episode. The writers have said if you liked last weeks episode then you will love this weeks. I suppose they would say that, but I actually believe them!!

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #123 on: March 7, 2017, 10:36:55 pm »
Well that was... different.

Spoiler
A fairly obvious 'twist' I thought, and I was waiting for something to happen at the end but it seems the gobby cheats just got what they deserved.
[close]

A nice change of pace that used the karaoke concept well.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: March 8, 2017, 03:20:13 pm »
This really has been good. Bills episode being best one so far this season.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: March 8, 2017, 05:31:36 pm »
Well that was... different.

Yes, it was different and I'm glad i slept on it before posting anything on here as I was initially very disappointed by last night episode.  Now i have had a change of heart.

Spoiler

As Sideshowme says in one of his early posts, RS&SP are the masters of misdirection and last night they did it again.  The whole episode had me waiting for some horrific end game or tragic and shocking finale... but not to be.  This particular episode had a nice feelgood ending where the decent people had happy endings and the nasty shits got their comeuppance.

The characters perceived as losers... won!

Also a rare episode where nobody died (or pretended to die) :)

I think the writers went for a different ending this time around although the ending had a similar feel to the episode 'last gasp' from the first Series.

So on refection, fair play to them for mixing it up a bit.
[close]

Also, 'Titanium' is an awesome tune.  :)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #126 on: March 8, 2017, 05:59:51 pm »

Not as good as Rainbow's Since You've Been Gone belted out in a Black Country accent!

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #127 on: March 9, 2017, 07:40:39 am »
Not sure about the episode, was ok I guess maybe that's a barometer for how good it normally is.
Who was Tamsin Outhwaite dressed as? I'm guessing Sarah Hadland was Britney.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #128 on: March 9, 2017, 08:52:55 am »
Not sure about the episode, was ok I guess maybe that's a barometer for how good it normally is.
Who was Tamsin Outhwaite dressed as? I'm guessing Sarah Hadland was Britney.

Amy Winehouse. I think...think the guy in the hat was Michael Jackson.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: March 9, 2017, 09:02:28 am »
Yes, it was different and I'm glad i slept on it before posting anything on here as I was initially very disappointed by last night episode.  Now i have had a change of heart.

Spoiler

As Sideshowme says in one of his early posts, RS&SP are the masters of misdirection and last night they did it again.  The whole episode had me waiting for some horrific end game or tragic and shocking finale... but not to be.  This particular episode had a nice feelgood ending where the decent people had happy endings and the nasty shits got their comeuppance.

The characters perceived as losers... won!

Also a rare episode where nobody died (or pretended to die) :)

I think the writers went for a different ending this time around although the ending had a similar feel to the episode 'last gasp' from the first Series.

So on refection, fair play to them for mixing it up a bit.
[close]

Pretty much agree with this. I really enjoyed it. I'm going to watch it again just to see how they put it together.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: March 9, 2017, 09:46:21 am »
Amy Winehouse. I think...think the guy in the hat was Michael Jackson.

Right yes, can see it now, would never have got that, cheers.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: March 9, 2017, 11:43:19 am »
Very good review on Den of Geek:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/inside-no-9/47756/inside-no-9-series-3-episode-4-review-empty-orchestra

BTW I assume everyone knows that Karaoke is 'Empty Orchestra' in Japanese.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: March 9, 2017, 03:53:47 pm »
Very good review on Den of Geek:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/inside-no-9/47756/inside-no-9-series-3-episode-4-review-empty-orchestra

Spot on review that, sums up my feelings exactly . :)

Watched the episode  '12 days of Christine' (S02E02) again during my lunch break.

Struggled to hold back a tear as I watched it.

Sheridan Smith is one of the most gifted British actresses around.

Perhaps IN9's finest episode?

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: March 9, 2017, 04:14:54 pm »
Spot on review that, sums up my feelings exactly . :)

Watched the episode  '12 days of Christine' (S02E02) again during my lunch break.

Struggled to hold back a tear as I watched it.

Sheridan Smith is one of the most gifted British actresses around.

Perhaps IN9's finest episode?

One of TV's best episodes. I watched it again the other day and it is a beautifully crafted piece of work.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2017, 08:57:15 pm »
Really enjoyed it. Kept expecting a dark twist in the vein of their other episodes - the "twist" in this one was the happyish ending!

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2017, 02:43:14 pm »
Really enjoyed it. Kept expecting a dark twist in the vein of their other episodes - the "twist" in this one was the happyish ending!
Yeah, it was strange that I was waiting for someone to get stabbed or something utterly grim. A happy one in amongst the macabre...

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2017, 03:56:32 pm »
it was a nice episode, not up with the best, but perfectly good as something a little different.  one of the best things about RS/SP is that even when the plot is not quite so convoluted or sinister, they still manage to write hilarious dialogue to carry the rest of the episode.

what changed duane's mind at the end?  he seemed not to be interested in janet (?), but then suddenly was?

the BBC must love this show:  a critically acclaimed audience hit that requires six locations and a handful of guest stars per series.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2017, 05:34:03 pm »

what changed duane's mind at the end?  he seemed not to be interested in janet (?), but then suddenly was?

I read it that he always liked Janet but peer pressure from the 'nasty' girl forced Duane to be one of the cool kids and reject her.

Duane realising that he really did like Janet and him finally acknowledging his feelings were just another part of the happy ending :)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2017, 10:51:20 pm »
Not as much a fan of this one, I prefer the lighter episodes. I really thought when he said 'they should be together' that he'd have

Spoiler
killed his daughter. Though I guess it's a bit open as to what he actually has done.
[close]
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2017, 12:32:17 am »
I absolutely loved that episode.

The setting and style of the interior combined with some of the framing of the shots was glorious. Simple scenes of a dining table, a child playing on a rug, hoovering were fantastic, and had such a sense of foreboding. It almost reminded me of the shining.

As for the actual content:
Spoiler
I actually thought it was more powerful than some of the other episodes. I think because it's so relatable and based in reality than some of the more far out episodes. It's a man who has lost a child and had a breakdown.

It did remind me of the Tom & Geri episode from series 2 though. It's a very similar story, with the same actor having a detachment from reality.
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2017, 12:44:33 pm »
Agree with all of Craig's post above. Very powerful and sad.

Spoiler
Because I'm getting slightly familiar with IN9 and the way S&P work I guessed this story was about loss and grief from the very beginning.

I initially thought they had lost their only child and the little daughter was just in his imagination. Glad I was wrong about that.

Hope everyone watched the credits roll at the end. There was crime scene CCTV footage of David planting the shoe outside his house.

No happy ending this week and its back to the perceived good guys on the wrong end of things : (
[close]

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2017, 02:03:51 pm »
I absolutely loved that episode.

The setting and style of the interior combined with some of the framing of the shots was glorious. Simple scenes of a dining table, a child playing on a rug, hoovering were fantastic, and had such a sense of foreboding. It almost reminded me of the shining.

As for the actual content:
Spoiler
I actually thought it was more powerful than some of the other episodes. I think because it's so relatable and based in reality than some of the more far out episodes. It's a man who has lost a child and had a breakdown.

It did remind me of the Tom & Geri episode from series 2 though. It's a very similar story, with the same actor having a detachment from reality.
[close]

Agree with all of that.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2017, 06:18:26 pm »
I read the Den of Geek review before re-watching.
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/inside-no-9/47921/inside-no-9-series-3-episode-5-review-diddle-diddle-dumpling

Spoiler
I didn't notice the symmetry and twin objects until I had read that, but after a second watch it seems so obvious from the very start in the kitchen. Perhaps that's why I subconsciously appreciated the framing of the shots so much.

There's even twin hares in this episode, on either end of the sideboard.
[close]

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2017, 06:40:00 pm »
I read the Den of Geek review before re-watching.
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/inside-no-9/47921/inside-no-9-series-3-episode-5-review-diddle-diddle-dumpling

Spoiler
I didn't notice the symmetry and twin objects until I had read that, but after a second watch it seems so obvious from the very start in the kitchen. Perhaps that's why I subconsciously appreciated the framing of the shots so much.

There's even twin hares in this episode, on either end of the sideboard.
[close]

That's really interesting - I'll have to re-watch it.

Spoiler
Wow - so much thought has gone into that. His backgrounds are all symmetrical while hers are asymmetrical. And the symmetry of his backgrounds are not exact mirror images - it's far more subtle than that.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:11:51 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2017, 08:47:53 pm »
Ahh now I know why the BBC announcer said "watch very carefully" as it came on :)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2017, 09:15:34 pm »
Thought last 5 minutes was genuinely sad.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2017, 10:40:56 pm »
That's really interesting - I'll have to re-watch it.

Spoiler
Wow - so much thought has gone into that. His backgrounds are all symmetrical while hers are asymmetrical. And the symmetry of his backgrounds are not exact mirror images - it's far more subtle than that.
[close]

Spoiler
I think every piece of furniture, picture on the wall, curtain, vase, every object in the house has been meticulously placed.

In the first kitchen scene, Keely Hawes places the jam jars so they are symmetrical to the camera. At first you can't see this as she and her bag are partially obscuring them. As she leaves the kitchen, he moves to stand alone in the very centre of the room/shot, and all the pairs & symmetry in the room become much more obvious.

The first time I watched it, I thought it strange the path that he walked from the kitchen, through the hall with the Martinis. But he moves in that direction to walk down the centre of the rug, which is in the centre of the frame, with an identical martini in each hand.

It's brilliant.
[close]

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2017, 10:50:53 pm »
I spent a lot of the episode with a raised eyebrow, and saw the end coming a mile off.

A rare 5/10 in a TV show full of 8s, 9s and 10s in my eyes. Still a good watch, just not one of the best for me.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2017, 11:11:35 pm »
Have always admired writers of any sort. How the hell do you come up with something like that? Amazes me, I struggle to write a birthday card.

Also, I love Keeley Hawes. Haven't seen her in anything for a while.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2017, 09:06:07 pm »
Have always admired writers of any sort. How the hell do you come up with something like that? Amazes me, I struggle to write a birthday card.

Also, I love Keeley Hawes. Haven't seen her in anything for a while.

She was brilliant in the last two series of Line of Duty.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2017, 09:15:05 pm »
She was brilliant in the last two series of Line of Duty.

Thanks for that, for some reason I don't know that show, will look out for it.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2017, 09:18:10 pm »
I spent a lot of the episode with a raised eyebrow, and saw the end coming a mile off.

A rare 5/10 in a TV show full of 8s, 9s and 10s in my eyes. Still a good watch, just not one of the best for me.

Spoiler
You saw that she asked her friend to claim the shoe so that he'd stop obsessing and that he'd find out that the person who claimed the shoe was her friend and thought she was having an affair and that he'd so something dreadful? Well done if you did.

And what exactly was the ending? It's left ambiguous whether he killed the man or the daughter.[/quote]

I don't understand why people say that working out the possible endpoint of a story arc spoils the movie/programme. Any decent story had a touch of Chekov's gun: "Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."

[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2017, 11:13:39 pm »
Spoiler
You saw that she asked her friend to claim the shoe so that he'd stop obsessing and that he'd find out that the person who claimed the shoe was her friend and thought she was having an affair and that he'd so something dreadful? Well done if you did.

And what exactly was the ending? It's left ambiguous whether he killed the man or the daughter.
[close]

I don't understand why people say that working out the possible endpoint of a story arc spoils the movie/programme. Any decent story had a touch of Chekov's gun: "Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."

Fix your spoilers Al ;D

I saw
Spoiler
that his wife would have put the guy up to it, and that someone in his past would have died which is why he was off work and she was putting up with his shit
[close]

That's not why I didn't enjoy it as much as the others, and I still enjoyed it, but I didn't get hooked into it like all the others.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2017, 11:39:04 pm »
Best episode of the series so far that. Looked fantastic and kept you in the dark until the final scene. Terrific half hour of telly
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2017, 11:42:20 pm »
saw the end coming a mile off.

Yeah right...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2017, 11:55:46 pm »
Yeah right...

See my post above, I revised to say 2/3rds of the ending ;D

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2017, 05:17:32 am »
Fix your spoilers Al ;D

I saw
Spoiler
that his wife would have put the guy up to it, and that someone in his past would have died which is why he was off work and she was putting up with his shit
[close]

That's not why I didn't enjoy it as much as the others, and I still enjoyed it, but I didn't get hooked into it like all the others.

Fair enough - I left the last bit out of spoilers deliberately. It's a general point and something I'd been thinking about.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2017, 07:17:11 am »

Spoiler
And what exactly was the ending? It's left ambiguous whether he killed the man or the daughter.
[close]

Spoiler
Blimey, that never entered my head at all. Never even thought about the little girl. Certainly a though provoking episode
[close]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:28:20 am by Alan_X »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2017, 07:44:37 am »
Spoiler
Blimey, that never entered my head at all. Never even thought about the little girl. Certainly a though provoking episode
[close]

Spoiler
"Joseph is dead, he died"
"They should be together..."
(she touches his hand and feels, then looks at the blood)
"David, you're bleeding"
"No I'm not..."
"Where did you get that shoe?"
"I went to see Ted..."
"In Norfolk?"
"Yes... In Norfolk... he didn't want to give me it... he said something about me being unreasonable..."
(she looks at the blood on her hand from touching him)
"What did you do?... David... What did you do?..."
"Can't remember..."

Camera slow zoom into the photo of David sitting with one baby on his lap and as it zooms in the second baby appears from behind the picture of the (dead?) baby and finally it zooms into his feet wearing the same shoes.

Final shot - crime scene CCTV of him placing the shoe.

If it's Ted's blood why is it still wet after he's travelled back from Norfolk? He possibly, probably killed Ted, but "they should be together" suggests he's also killed his daughter.

[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2017, 08:22:51 am »
Yeah I think
Spoiler
he killed them both
[close]