Author Topic: Great British Menu  (Read 10450 times)

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
Great British Menu
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:18:52 am »
Can't believe there doesn't appear to be a thread about this  :o

I watch it every year and have been increasingly disappointed with the briefs in recent times. This year is pretty good though - some really good food especially last weeks North East lot (think it was NE anyway). That Eaton Mess thing was awesome, I was a bit miffed that woman didn't go through.

Irish cooks are great and all but I can barely understand a word they say.  :butt
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline hope_valley_parker

• Nosey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Found a better place to park....
Re: Great British Menu
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:23:01 am »
It's a good show.

Love seeing the work of the chefs, and the use of local ingredients.

Can't stand the judges at the end of the week. Urgh. Food snobbery at its worst. Especially that awful Pru woman.

It all seems so random sometimes, whether they'll like a dish or not.

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:27:44 am »
It's a good show.

Love seeing the work of the chefs, and the use of local ingredients.

Can't stand the judges at the end of the week. Urgh. Food snobbery at its worst. Especially that awful Pru woman.

It all seems so random sometimes, whether they'll like a dish or not.

True, but who would be a better judge? That (I presume) young gay bloke who sits on the left is the worst imo, complete drama queen.
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:29:26 am »
Cant stand that veggie one she does my head in, the Italian girl is the dark horse, its her or the yank lad who will win it.

GBM FAIL I was talking about Master Chef  :-[
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline hope_valley_parker

• Nosey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Found a better place to park....
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:30:44 am »
True, but who would be a better judge? That (I presume) young gay bloke who sits on the left is the worst imo, complete drama queen.

Perhaps the people who are likely to be at the street party. It was similar to an earlier series when they were doing a feast for returning soldiers. What they'd like to eat and what the toss-face food critics like are unlikely to be the same.

The one on the left - he always reminds me of AA Gill. Another blert. ;)

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:33:32 am »
Perhaps the people who are likely to be at the street party. It was similar to an earlier series when they were doing a feast for returning soldiers. What they'd like to eat and what the toss-face food critics like are unlikely to be the same.

The one on the left - he always reminds me of AA Gill. Another blert. ;)

Hmmm...I do enjoy having 'experts' on the judging panel though. I like Giles Coran for some reason even though he's a tosspeice. True about liking different things though, your general joe blogs isn't gonna want to each some of this complicated BS.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 09:49:53 am »

He's not a chef but his restaurants are very good (I've eaten in a few of them) and he knows his food. He may be a bit of a drama queen but I'd prefer to eat in a restaurant run by someone who's a perfectionist and gives a fuck.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:55:44 am »
I love Richard Corrigan, great fella would love to have a meal cooked by him hes boss.  8)
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 05:15:29 pm »
Love this, watch it every year. Which is odd as I'm a fussy twat who probably would never eat anything on it!
The judges are good too, always like their bit.
Not sure about the narrator tho, much preferred Jenny Bond (was it?) in previous series.
Oh and Richard Corrigan (sp?) is a nutter. Much prefer him to the north east mentor from last week who always reminds me of Fat Sam

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 05:31:26 pm »
I dont like the previous champions doing a pre judgement to whittle it down to 2. Think they are trying too hard to become the next TV chefs. The norther Irish guy just seems to pan every dish even before he gets to try it.

I like the concept of the show and like the 3 judges though

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 06:50:09 pm »
North west this week, not a particular fan of any of the chefs, and I really hate Marcus Wareing - in fact I don't really like many of the mentors, can only really think of Glynn Purnell who I do like of the mentors (if he's actually on it this year)

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 06:58:59 pm »
What a surprise too, he gives Lisa a high mark, as always

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 07:44:50 pm »
What a surprise too, he gives Lisa a high mark, as always

Really irked me today's I have to admit. She didn't deserve the highest mark, I liked the BBQ one, and one of the guys said it was the best salmon he'd ever tasted. The previous winners as judges just doesn't work for me, rather someone else be a judge every week and knock one out. Feel like forgetting the rest of the week, because he had to have her through. So might as well just wait till fridays now.

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 07:45:34 pm »
North west this week, not a particular fan of any of the chefs, and I really hate Marcus Wareing - in fact I don't really like many of the mentors, can only really think of Glynn Purnell who I do like of the mentors (if he's actually on it this year)

I agree. I like Glynn to, Rest are awful  :)

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 03:35:38 am »
I hate the way the chefs snipe at each other across the kitchen. They nee to grow up, do yours to the best of your own ability and stop being bellends.

Love the show though. That lemon and liquorice battenburg last was right up my street.

Offline Chinbits

• Has a Purpoise in life
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Factor 3rd Place WINNER
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 06:53:55 am »
I hate the way the chefs snipe at each other across the kitchen. They nee to grow up, do yours to the best of your own ability and stop being bellends.

Love the show though. That lemon and liquorice battenburg last was right up my street.

I reckon they're told to do that, it seems a bit fake and forced. They should just give them anthrax to lace the others food with.
Hold a powerful magnet against your stomach and then run it up your body until it's under your chin.

While wearing your mum's skin as a hat.

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 08:38:14 am »
Really irked me today's I have to admit. She didn't deserve the highest mark, I liked the BBQ one, and one of the guys said it was the best salmon he'd ever tasted. The previous winners as judges just doesn't work for me, rather someone else be a judge every week and knock one out. Feel like forgetting the rest of the week, because he had to have her through. So might as well just wait till fridays now.

Would rather it was a judge unconnected with the competition (Michel Roux Jr?  ;D) because it's all just opinion at the end of the day. 'That BBQ looks childish and stupid' - someone else might think it's quirky.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 08:39:24 am »
I think playful banter can be good. But all these chefs love it because it they all want to be TV chefs

How demeaning has this north west heat been.

'Hi Bruno Birkbeck. Your the underdog in this heat and your up against your former protege Lisa Allen who has gone on to become a world renowed chef while you are still stuck as a regular head chef at some dive hotel in Cumbria' ;)

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 08:08:27 pm »
I watch it every year, always find it entertaining.  Glynn Purnell is judging the Midlands chefs next week, btw.  I like him, seems a sound guy. 

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 10:23:56 pm »
Funny how that Lisa Allen is about a billion miles better than the other two clowns!

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 07:55:42 pm »
Knew Lisa would win, she's a very good chef!
Did just send Johnnie Moutain a tweet tho, as he's very entertaining and puts his all into it. He replied within minutes, seems a good lad

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 08:05:10 pm »
Is that Lisa Allen a lezza?  I always thought she was until I found out she was allergic to seafood.  ???
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 08:05:48 pm »
:lmao

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 08:18:19 pm »
Haha see Smicer07 off here tweeter Mountain as well. He does reply to everyone!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 09:20:11 pm »
Guilty pleasure of mine this food programme, possibly my favourite of the lot if am honest. 

What that lad did with spuds for a starter and the other lad who did the afters and made an apple out of sugar and then filled it with apple crumble, was astounding. 

Watch the banquet tomorrow on BBC2 and you'll get to see them. 
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 08:30:20 pm »
It was good. That apple dessert was incredible. Seemed like a great bunch of lads as well, and obviously quality chefs. What a buzz for em.

I remember Adam Reid from that program where two manc restaurants went up against each other (Restaurant Wars?) to try and get a michellin star. He was working for Simon Whatsisface who had the classic French gaff vs Manchester House which was a more modern place with Aiden Byrne.

Do enjoy watching great, imaginative food get cooked. When I win the lottery I'll be trying them all!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 10:42:12 pm »
Not a single female chef in that final. In fact I don't think a single female chef made it to a judging chamber.

Food is great. But the chef selection needs looking at

Prue Leith is leaving the show after 11 years of judging. Andi Oliver will join Matthew Fort and Oliver Peyton for 2017.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2016, 11:12:25 pm »
Best culinary show on tvbar none.

I can't stand Masterchef or that baking show,i'd rather watch Michelin star chefs compete against each other.

Found out that weekend that Prue Leith has quit the show. :o

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2016, 11:23:39 pm »
It was good. That apple dessert was incredible. Seemed like a great bunch of lads as well, and obviously quality chefs. What a buzz for em.

I remember Adam Reid from that program where two manc restaurants went up against each other (Restaurant Wars?) to try and get a michellin star. He was working for Simon Whatsisface who had the classic French gaff vs Manchester House which was a more modern place with Aiden Byrne.

Do enjoy watching great, imaginative food get cooked. When I win the lottery I'll be trying them all!
Yeah i saw that show about the Manchester restaurants.

Simon Rogan was the guy,he won the dessert banquet for the north west on the Olympic brief one,that was my favorite series that one btw.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 12:19:15 pm »
Yeah. This show just isn't good any more.

Imagine working on your menu for months, adding 2 more courses and then getting binned off after a day.

Then throw in a pointless host to boot.

Shame because the concept is good and so is the food

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 12:59:24 pm »
Yeah its gone downhill.

Host is now pointless as you said, as are the two new courses. New kitchen is shit. Getting rid of a chef is shit. Rushing the final episode of the week is also crap - you don’t even get to see the full voting scores anymore.

Shame, as the level of cooking is above most other shows.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 01:06:32 pm »
Why mess with a good thing.

Clusterfuck by the BBC, now this cooking show lost all it's originality and uniqueness.

Next year I wouldn't be surprised to see those boring stale presenters from Masterchef on it.

I'm still watching it though. :D

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2020, 04:24:25 pm »
I went off it when the hairy Goth chef won the fish course (I think the dish was called emancipation) and then next series he turned up as a judge

I thought the judges had to be more established?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:25:59 pm by The Bournemouth Red »
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2020, 09:08:22 pm »
I went off it when the hairy Goth chef won the fish course (I think the dish was called emancipation) and then next series he turned up as a judge

I thought the judges had to be more established?
That dish was brilliant.

Everyone gave ate it gave it a ten, i remember all the chefs in the final watching him cooking that and they were all in awe.

He's a judge again this season and has another whacky haircut. ;D

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #34 on: April 1, 2020, 08:38:11 pm »
He's a judge again this season and has another whacky haircut. ;D

There he is with a blonde mullet!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #35 on: April 1, 2020, 09:49:32 pm »
The food is just uninspired .

It’s kids books...  they should have bright, fun and crazy designs.  They just look like restaurant meals.

The guy who won last week was good, but the rest?

Dull
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: April 1, 2020, 09:51:08 pm »
The food is just uninspired .

It’s kids books...  they should have bright, fun and crazy designs.  They just look like restaurant meals.

The guy who won last week was good, but the rest?

Dull

Just said this to the gf. It should be a really easy theme to adapt any dish they want to but they are nearly all missing the target.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 1, 2020, 10:13:14 pm »
The only dish so far that was really on brief was the Charlie and the chocolate factory pudding and she didn't even get past the judges.

It really is a stale format.

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #38 on: April 2, 2020, 05:39:48 am »
It seems they cook what they want and that they've practised in their restaurant, then looked up a kids book on Google and called it after that.

One of the chefs last night did a Harry Potter "inspired" dish and totally got the storyline wrong (nerd alert).

As said above, the brief should be easy, make it relevant, fun and colourful.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #39 on: April 2, 2020, 07:41:12 am »
It seems they cook what they want and that they've practised in their restaurant, then looked up a kids book on Google and called it after that.

One of the chefs last night did a Harry Potter "inspired" dish and totally got the storyline wrong (nerd alert).

As said above, the brief should be easy, make it relevant, fun and colourful.

I was excited for this season as I thought it would bring out some crazy ideas.

As was said, the only fun idea so far has been the Golden Bar dessert, and she got knocked out.

I think the judges need binning off, and they should cook for some more adventurous people.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks