Author Topic: Potential Safety Issues at Anfield Highlighted  (Read 13097 times)

Offline Spirit Of Shankly

• Anny Roader
  • www.spiritofshankly.com
    • Spirit of Shankly
Potential Safety Issues at Anfield Highlighted
« on: August 28, 2013, 03:37:11 pm »
The Liverpool Supporters' Union, Spirit of Shankly has called upon the Club to respond positively to entry problems for hundreds of supporters at the last two matches at Anfield.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/turnstile-access-problems

Supporter safety is of paramount importance.
Join your Union Now online at www.spiritofshankly.com

Like SOS on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @spiritofshankly

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Potential Safety Issues at Anfield Highlighted
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 03:57:25 pm »
The club would really want to get the finger out and act on this immediately. Well in on addressing the issue on behalf of all fans.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:02:23 pm by DangerScouse »

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 04:06:01 pm »
Thanks for raising these concerns sos..
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 04:07:50 pm »
Ged's response is pretty shocking and VERY flippant.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 04:12:44 pm »

And quite untrue.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 04:20:55 pm »
We had terrible trouble getting in Anfield Road at the League Cup semi two seasons ago, although not for exactly the same reason. For some reason the turnstiles just seemed to stop operating and traffic problems on the M62 delayed many people. It was quite frightening as police horses were forcing us off the road & in towards the walls.

We had smart card access as soon as we moved into the new stadium and they had to do a test event to get the licence. Presumably they don't need to do that for am existing stadium but it doesn't sound like they did a reasonably representative test.

Offline Hanson

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 04:53:22 pm »
Was there last night and didn't have a problem with the turnstile but there were hundreds queuing to collect tickets.
Joined the queue an hour before kickoff and didn't get to my seat until nearly twenty into the game.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:59:18 pm »
Was there last night and didn't have a problem with the turnstile but there were hundreds queuing to collect tickets.
Joined the queue an hour before kickoff and didn't get to my seat until nearly twenty into the game.

The release of pre-ordered tickets was also mentioned to us by members as an issue, exacerbated by people being in your queue who had tried, but failed to get in and were then trying to sort it out via the TO.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 06:32:56 pm »
Something strange going on this season. I had problems at Gerrard's testimonial. Strolled up to the turnstiles nice and early about half an hour before kick off. Perfectly valid tickets bought on the first day of sale - one works, the other one doesn't. Gets sent to a steward nearby who checks the ticket on his little hand-held machine and then sends me off to the ticket office who then take 20 minutes to sort the problem out. Legged it back round and got to my seat just as the game kicked off, sweating like I'm in a Turkish bath.

Wouldn't have been a problem but for the fact I had my 80 year old and unwell/infirm dad with me. He went through the turnstile no problem and I'm left stuck outside. He's worrying a bit cos he's relying on me to help him up the steps and so on & I'm trying to explain what's going on to him through the turnstile. Explained the problem to the stewards outside but no help offered, so just had to leave him there. Not great and no explanation given as to why I had to run half way round the ground to get a replacement ticket or why a replacement took so long to authorise via a manager. Just a bit weird to be honest.

(Dad was fine by the way - get to our seats and he's there with a programme & a coffee singing YNWA! Think he must be faking it  :))

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 07:10:51 pm »
I don't remember anything like this happening before this season, why is it suddenly happening now? Could last night have been due to a larger than normal amount of people collecting or buying tickets just before the game?
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 07:25:52 pm »
I don't remember anything like this happening before this season, why is it suddenly happening now? Could last night have been due to a larger than normal amount of people collecting or buying tickets just before the game?

There's a new turnstile installation (which again neither the Club or Supporters Committee deemed to publicise), there are no longer turnstile attendants but stewards inside and out.

However they have no control over the turnstiles. So you have stuff like mentioned above with the old and infirm separated from their family and in two cases we have been told kids inside but carers locked out, despite buying the tickets at the same time.

Outside you have people with scanners but mostly you got sent around to the TO.

Recipe for problems, its alright against Stoke, but if it happens again on Sunday and we score in the first minute I wouldn't like to be outside.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 07:39:13 pm »
Poynton is a cock.
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:09 pm »
And quite untrue.

And quite predictable given his track record. He seems to be contemptuous of the fans of Liverpool Football Club.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:03 pm »
 Poynton is a bullish, arrogant prat. Yet another facet of teh club that flies in the face of that family spirit that is so often trotted out by the club.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 09:19:43 pm »
http://liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/143743-fan-access-info-for-sunday-s-match

Make your own judgement about this being a. 10 days too late as guidance, b. makes no apology for people missing part of the game, c. makes no reference to why there's a problem and d. seems to have forgotten to blame supporters arriving late.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 09:21:44 pm »
Getting an access denied error for that link you posted Graham.

Anyhow, not gonna take my little lad in case he's stuck on one side and I'm on the other, they can sod off.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 09:29:00 pm »
Disser

*robbed shamelessly from the blues circa 1985/86-ish*
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 09:29:44 pm »
They've removed it now. Fucking out of touch amateurs running the place.

Offline Timeless Melody

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 10:28:55 pm »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/row-erupts-over-new-turnstiles-5799659

A row has erupted over a new turnstile system at Anfield ahead of Sunday’s clash against Manchester United.

Liverpool FC supporters claim they were left queuing at home games against Stoke City and Notts County after the new turnstiles failed to recognise “active” season tickets and memberships cards.

The new system is automatic, instead of tickets being individually checked by stewards.

In a statement on their website  Supporters’ club Spirit of Shankly (SOS) said: “We believe that the club has to put egos and empires to one side where supporter safety is concerned.

“Liverpool Football Club would do well to remember that Liverpool supporters have good reason to raise safety issues and that Liverpool supporters have a first hand knowledge of what can happen when problems at turnstiles trigger a chain of events.”

The supporters’ union claim that at some turnstiles a ‘Fan Support’ steward has re-validated cards with a hand-held scanner and the turnstile computer was overridden to allow supporters through.

But at other turnstiles, fans had to go to the ticket office to have their cards re-validated and have a paper ticket issued, some at a cost of £10.

The SOS statement said: “Hundreds of supporters missed up to 20 minutes of each of these games.

“It has also led to safety issues, with the queuing system failing altogether at turnstile block B before the Stoke game.”

But club officials responded today with a statement of their own urging fans for their support.

The club said: “Liverpool acknowledge that a number of fans experienced some difficulties accessing the turnstiles during the Stoke game and would like to ask fans for their support to ensure access to the stadium on Sunday is as smooth as possible.

“Please ensure you insert your membership card, season ticket card or match ticket into the opening of the reader at the turnstile.

"In the unlikely event it not accepted speak to the steward at the turnstile, who will advise you where the nearest Fan Support Team member is located, who will endeavour to resolve the issue.”

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 11:44:22 pm »
LFC have no replaced it with an updated version, with added apologies and reference to Poynton's disgusting commons. No apology from him though.

Amateur club.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/143743-fan-access-info-for-sunday-s-match
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 02:01:49 am »
Hope there'll be more stewards around on Sunday to help get people in quicker - and keep people from pushing in on the queues like at the Lge Cup game.

Who are these 'Fan Support Team' members that club statement mentions? Are they dressed like stewards, club officials in ties? Where are they? Why aren't they at or near the actual turnstiles at a time when everyone is going through them?

How is Poynton still in a job? Is this they type of attitude he gives out to people who work around and under him too? Why did he lie about the time it took to get the fans in at the Lge Cup game?
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 02:21:20 am »
Shocking that something so basic as getting into a match is so hard for the club to get right.  Do other clubs have similar issues?  I've been to dozens of games here in the US with never a hint of a issue with tickets.  Its just not heard of.  Seeing as our owners are owners of The Red Sox you would think they would share best practices.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 03:07:48 am »
We had terrible trouble getting in Anfield Road at the League Cup semi two seasons ago, although not for exactly the same reason. For some reason the turnstiles just seemed to stop operating and traffic problems on the M62 delayed many people. It was quite frightening as police horses were forcing us off the road & in towards the walls.

We had smart card access as soon as we moved into the new stadium and they had to do a test event to get the licence. Presumably they don't need to do that for am existing stadium but it doesn't sound like they did a reasonably representative test.

I remember the turnstiles outside the Kop that day were hectic. YNWA could be heard (which made some impatient) and there were shit loads of people still queuing outside.

The traffic was bad that day, but the turnstiles were slow as anything in getting the latecomers into the ground.

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 04:29:33 am »
Something like that's happened before at games for my local club (Seattle Sounders). The employees having issues getting people through at a reasonable time, they released some explanation and it was fixed the next game. Seems a bit absurd that a club like Liverpool can't get it fixed after one game. Good on SoS for pointing it out.
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Online Giz a Gobble

• Scouse Turkey that's hard to swallow.....
  • Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 97.
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 07:49:51 am »
Just interested to know whether anyone affected has pushed the club for a refund and what the outcome was? At the end of the day, you've legitimately bought a ticket, queued up appropriately and it's the club's fault (via the system) that you can't get in. You're then missing 10-20 minute of the game to have to rectify their mistake. Do the club have a get-out clause around this?

It hasn't directly affected me yet (touch wood), but I have been arriving and finding it taking longer to get in than it usually has.

Offline driftinwest

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone.
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 08:00:48 am »
LFC have no replaced it with an updated version, with added apologies and reference to Poynton's disgusting commons. No apology from him though.

Amateur club.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/143743-fan-access-info-for-sunday-s-match
I read that from official site, but never mind apologising for Poynton what are they going to do about his obvious contempt for the life blood of our club, he's a confrontational prick just looking for a fight with his don't like it then lump it attitude, they need to replace him and bin the prick ASAP
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 09:09:29 am »
I had problems getting in on Tuesday with my card. It was activated but didn't know you now need to put the ST into the slot rather than press it up against the pad (like I had done for the past 3 years).

My friends ST was also not activated and had to pay £14 at the ticket office to get it sorted.

Doesn't help that the club have gotten rid of actual turnstile staff. Had to wait for the steward to sort me out.

It wasn't a safety concern to me but can see how it could be a potential risk in future.

What I might do in future is for every cup game I'll go to the help points and make sure my card is activated before I head to my turnstile.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 09:16:21 am »
I had problems getting in on Tuesday with my card. It was activated but didn't know you now need to put the ST into the slot rather than press it up against the pad (like I had done for the past 3 years).

Exact same issue both me and my Dad had getting into the Upper Centenary for the Stoke game. Worked fine once I took it out the case and put it in the slot but hasn't needed to do that the previous 3 plus years.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 09:19:02 am »
how are the club getting away with charging people for rectifying their mistake?
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 10:36:53 am »
how are the club getting away with charging people for rectifying their mistake?

I'd suggest a few reasons.

Firstly, the middle management (not the hard working put upon stewards), are characterising the issue as minor, with no potential for major problems and as Poynton suggests, it is the supporters' fault.

Secondly, even though it is now on the radar, as supporters we aren't given the value we deserve, so you get a clumsy response on the Club's website, which once social media explodes, is pulled and a more apologetic version appears.

At the end of the day, if you run somewhere like Ratners this is what you get.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Sir Roger Casement + 4

• Kemlynite
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 12:46:10 pm »
Glad this has been raised. I queued for 2 hours to collect tickets that should have been posted and can tell you there was one steward, a young lad, left to control the hundreds queing. When it was pointed out to him that the official queue was not moving while new queues formed further on he just replied that there was nothing he could do as he was on his own. Not his fault as he had no help.

Should be noted that a head steward actually appeared at one point and walked through the unofficial queue but seemed oblivious to the mess.
As the game got nearer the whole thing became a mess as people realised there was no order and so jostled for position. It has to be said that the supporters were well behaved as it could easily have turned nasty with so many people trying to get to a few windows.

The stewards only appeared after kick off and even then were not much use at all.

I eventually got my tickets for me and my 7 year old twenty minutes after kick off despite queing for nearly 2 hours.
We then ran to the Anfield Rd where my son's tickets got him in but mine didn't. I asked the stewards to sort it but they refused claiming there was nothing they could to and that I had to go back to the ticket office. I refused to do this and told them to sort it out as my lad was by now panicking as he was inside and I was out.

They then got a fan support person to check the tickets and she said mine was blocked and there was nothing she could do. I showed them my email with details of payment, seat numbers etc on but they weren't interested. They said they couldn't let me in because the turnstiles could not be operated by them.

I then told them to let my son out as he was very upset and said why can't I go in the gate they were letting him out. I suggested they accompany me to the seats to prove they were empty and mine but they wouldn't budge.

At this point I had to go back to the TO where I approached the head steward who told me he could do nothing as it was a TO problem.
It was only at this point that a fan support fella noticed my lad in tears and told the head steward to get a  steward to take us back to Anfield Rd and tell the fan support person there to override the turnstile with a masterkey.

The head steward at first said no but then relented and let a steward take us there. We then ran to the other end of the gorund where the fan support person let us in no questions asked. The same fan support person who'd said no ten minutes ealier.

I have detailed all this in a letter to the club but as of now have not received so much as an aknowledgment that they are doing anything.
Despite the hassle and upset caused my main consern was that the club left one inexperienced steward to look after hundreds of people queing to get to too few windows. This was a major saftey concern and one our club should have been in control of.

Apart from the fan support fella who sorted it out I have to say the rest of the people I encountered that day useless. My lad doesn't want to go again and despite me going since 1973 I am of the same opinion.

Having only now read the response of Ged Poynton I am even more angry than I was on Tuesday night. If he was the head steward I encountered then I can attest that he walked through the crowds about half an hour before kick off and if he couldn't see problems there then he should be removed from his position.

Offline Sir Roger Casement + 4

• Kemlynite
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 01:01:12 pm »
Edit. Just googled Ged Poynton and he was not the head steward I saw.

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 01:07:12 pm »
 Sorry to hear abut your son being so upset, that's fucking shocking treament. Uselss c**ts.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 01:25:50 pm »

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 01:51:51 pm »
Astonishing incompetence.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 02:03:53 pm »
Amateurism as usual, and sadly no longer surprising.  Let's hope it's sorted for Sunday, as therein lies real potential for havoc if turnstiles/fan cards fail.

But at least money is saved on turnstile operators.

Online ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline Tonyh

• Tony get the shots in (after 7pm)
  • Legacy Fan
  • .............is the final piece of the jigsaw!
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 02:15:04 pm »
It is not just safety issues that show the incompetence at the Club. I was in the Reds Bar for the Stoke game and it was also a bit of a shambles. One of the 3 tills did not work for the first game of the season, they ran out of £5 notes, then £1 coins, then lager. It was a shambles causing big queues and inevitably people then had to rush to get back to their seats after half time. The amount of money that the Club does not take saleswise through these type of issues is ridiculous.
Let's also never forget the 39!

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 02:22:26 pm »
Latest from the Union, pass it on

@spiritofshankly: We are collating people's accounts of turnstile access issues to document problems. Please e-mail us at admin@spiritofshankly.com with any.

Non-members welcome to contact us as we'll.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2013, 03:37:00 pm »
I read that from official site, but never mind apologising for Poynton what are they going to do about his obvious contempt for the life blood of our club, he's a confrontational prick just looking for a fight with his don't like it then lump it attitude, they need to replace him and bin the prick ASAP

"We also acknowledge some comments made by a member of staff during the LFC Supporters' Committee meeting the following day were not helpful in this regard and would apologise for this."

Looks like they apologized to me.