Author Topic: End the Scandalous Myth of the 2005 Semi - Paul Tomkins  (Read 15296 times)

Offline i6uuaq

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Hmm... what's this personal text thing, then?
End the Scandalous Myth of the 2005 Semi - Paul Tomkins
« on: April 19, 2007, 02:49:47 am »
surprised this hasn't appeared here yet - or am i supposed to assume that every RAWKite goes to .tv?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG155647070418-1101.htm

Paul Tomkins
18 Apr 2007

Let me start by saying that I'm still seriously irked by the notion that victory over Chelsea in the 2005 Champions League semi-final was controversial. Or, indeed, lucky.

This is the biggest fallacy in football, and it should never have been allowed its gross propagation. Like a genetically modified marrow left in a science fiction greenhouse to expand to the size of a blue whale, it has little to do with reality, and is massively out of proportion.

It amazes me that people still only talk about whether or not the ball crossed the line following Luis Garcia's instinctive prod – and not that the referee later admitted that had the goal not been given, he'd have brought play back to send off Petr Cech and award a penalty.

I'm sure even Jose Mourinho would have taken his chances at being just 1-0 down at that point in the game –– rather than facing the last 87 minutes starting with a Liverpool penalty and his team down to 10 men. And all in front of a raucous, baying Kop who were setting new decibel records. In other words, the referee did Chelsea a favour.

To remind people, this is what referee Lubos Michel said: “If my assistant referee had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Petr Cech.”

Hardly any grey area in that statement. Why aren't these words better known? What irritates me is that Mourinho, his players and the press will unite behind the mythical version of events. I'd like to see more made of the true circumstances, as indicated by the referee.

Mourinho, who is reportedly still convinced Chelsea "won" the tie, will no doubt milk the 'was woz robbed' mantra.

(I'm not sure of the Portuguese for this phrase. Babelfish suggests nós fomos roubados, although translating it back into English gives 'we were stolen', which suggests Eidur Gudjohnsen was bundled by Rafa and Pako into the back of a Ford Transit in Walton Breck Road. Although maybe they did steal his contact lenses.)

The truth is that Chelsea, who didn't trouble Jerzy Dudek in either game, were beaten fair and square. And had Chelsea been victorious it would have been in part to Gudjohnsen's dive that ruled out Xabi Alonso from the 2nd leg. So please, an end to this myth.

I'm definitely more apprehensive this time around. Back then it was all part of a big adventure, an unexpected journey. The underdog status worked well. Now there's a more serious look about the Reds, and greater expectations as a result.

Revenge is a strange concept in football. It's why I'd be much more fearful of AC Milan should an 'Istanbul' re-match take place in Athens. They would want to put the record straight, as they see it.

However, the obverse is that they have to overcome the psychological blow of being defeated in such a humiliating fashion. I can recall all the talk in 2001 of Roma gaining revenge for the 1984 European Cup final defeat to the Reds. But Liverpool knocked them out of the Uefa Cup and Champions League in quick succession.

Revenge is all part of developing a siege mentality. It doesn't matter if you're wrong, or if you're perennially paranoid. It can unite. Liverpool wanted retribution for Gudjohnsen's dive in the first leg, and it ramped up the Anfield crowd that extra one percent in the return leg, from an already hysterically noisy starting point.

Since 2005 the Reds have gradually found parity with Chelsea, in one-off games at least. Three of the last four have been won, with Benítez's team the better performers on each occasion. And in the other, at Stamford Bridge, Liverpool had all the chances, and Chelsea, who had none of any note, scored out of nothing. Depending on your viewpoint that's the mark of a great team, or it's downright lucky.

That said, Chelsea will not be anywhere near limp as in the most recent meeting, which the Reds won at ease. And what's gone before won't totally dictate what happens now.

Of course, it can't hurt from a psychological standpoint that the two semi-finals in which the teams have recently met both ended in Liverpool's favour. It also can't hurt that Benítez has got the upper hand, tactically speaking, in the last few meetings. But Chelsea will have an immense hunger to win this tie. They are nothing if not determined.

The Londoners will be happier to be facing a Liverpool side they can now try to paint as favourites, to reduce the expectations on their own shoulders. But they'll also be putting themselves under greater pressure to win a first European Cup – something that was very much part of the Chelsea manager's remit. After all, they are the almost certainly the most expensively assembled team in Europe.

In footballing terms Chelsea were fully deserving of their recent league title successes, but now they absolutely crave that defining achievement that needs to follow: the kind with which Liverpool and Manchester United crowned their league dominance in 1968, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 and 1999.

Liverpool need to win this trophy as it's the last chance of silverware. But Chelsea, who could still fall at the last in the FA Cup and Premiership, haven't invested £500m to win nothing more this season than a League Cup.

I always felt Arsenal's greatest problem a few years back was that they wanted to win the Champions League too much; they knew they'd not get the credit they felt they deserved until they were European Champions. It was only once they clearly declined as a force – and the pressure diminished – that they managed to belatedly make the final.

An obsession with winning a trophy can prove counter-productive, although equally, a lack of hunger is no use to anyone. It's about finding the balance between wanting it badly enough, and not transmitting that to make the players too nervous. You need hunger, but only relaxed and focused footballers produce their best.

Everywhere you look in the Champions League there's a story waiting to be written for the Reds. It's Chelsea again – we all know the backstory there from recent seasons – and if successful, it's either Manchester United or AC Milan. The rivalry with United needs no mentioning, but the Italians are not just 'any other team' as far as the Reds are concerned; they feel they have a score to settle.

Silvio Berlusconi, Milan's President, is already quoted as saying he wants Liverpool in the final to "erase" the result from 2005. Perhaps it's another case of lost in translation, but nothing can change what happened then. However, you can understand his desire for his team to atone for their horrific collapse.

Then of course there's the Shevchenko factor – who, as Chelsea's record signing, will want to stop any possibility of a rematch of that 2005 final. Few players have been as guilty of such glaring misses in a major game as he was that night.

He showed then what a threat he can be in and around the box, in finding time and space, but ultimately missed his chances, and fluffed his penalty – one he approached with such an all-pervading air of resignation.

Again, it could go either way for the Ukrainian. He could be so haunted by Istanbul that a real mental block appears. Or he could find himself, as so many have over the years, the villain turned hero (or, from our perspective, hero turned villain). In football, there's almost always another occasion for redemption.

I never thought there could be a bigger night than Istanbul, and yet there's the possibility of something altogether more significant occurring should Chelsea be vanquished.

While the sheer drama of Istanbul will almost certainly never be topped by any team in any major final, beating Manchester United in Athens – even if it's the dullest match ever seen – would be by far and away the best night the club has ever known. Defeat would rank up there with the worst.

To be honest, at this stage I dare not even contemplate either scenario.

After all, the two teams meeting in the Youth Cup final is hard enough on the nerves.

I can't find a direct quote from the referee about how he would have sent off Petr Cech though... anyone got a link for that? I would like to bookmark it.  I did go back and look through the match reports though... practically every single one says Cech should have been sent off... maybe we should wite a song about that 'ghost goal' that EMPHASISES how Chelsea were LUCKY not to get Cech sent off AND a PENALTY to boot that we can sing for the semi and change perception a little. ;D

i'm no song-writer now, but something along the lines of

He should have been sent off
Cech fouled Baros

Repeat twice.  Simple, and gets the message across.  Sing it to our old friend Mourinho in the Chelsea dugout. ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 02:57:52 am by i6uuaq »
"I've not seen it and I'm not being Arsene Wenger," Dalglish said. "If there's something untoward then I am sure the governing body will act appropriately."

Offline jimmy d

• Legacy Fan
Re: End the Scandalous Myth of the 2005 Semi - Paul Tomkins
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:00:05 am »
"An obsession with winning a trophy can prove counter-productive"

sounds like us really
"In the Champions League, Liverpool can beat any team. And we are going to go far in the Champions League again." - Pepe

Offline David Benitez

• Knows an attractive man when he sees one...
  • Kopite
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 03:24:28 am »
I read it but it didn't inspire me. A well researched abd balanced article from a thoughtful guy like Paul? Fuck that like. I want to read abouta Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 06:48:22 am »
I read it but it didn't inspire me. A well researched abd balanced article from a thoughtful guy like Paul? Fuck that like. I want to read abouta Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

;D

Offline SJD

• Kemlynite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 07:07:50 am »
I don't know if your aware of the Chelsea forum - www.cfc-net.co.uk/forum. Well I have been looking on their site for a few days now to gain some insight into how they think this semi's going to pan out and a few Liverpool lads have joined up to have some banter.

One of them commented that if Garcia's goal had indeed not have been given then the referee would've had no choice but to send Cech off and give a penalty - which is exactly what the ref has said he would've done if the goal had not been in.

However here's the response from a long standing Chelsea fan on their site

That's indeed what the ref said he'd have done. Which made two mistakes he was intent on making, in spite of him being wrong on both. The accurate decision was a red card for Baros and free kick to Chelsea, before the ball went anywhere near the goal, as we all know here.

:o ::)

I still find it laughable that some of them even suggest this but it seems its the general consensus with Chelsea fans today. And we call Everton bitter!!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:10:31 am by SJD »
"I'm just one of the people who stands on the kop. They think the same as I do, and I think the same as they do. It's a kind of marriage of people who like each other." - Bill Shankly

Offline Emo Phillips

• Master of his domain. Enjoyed a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk. Resident of MILF Island.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 08:56:17 am »
With regard that quote from a Chelsea forum: "That's indeed what the ref said he'd have done. Which made two mistakes he was intent on making, in spite of him being wrong on both. The accurate decision was a red card for Baros and free kick to Chelsea, before the ball went anywhere near the goal, as we all know here."

:lmao

Why stop there? Surely Gerrard, Garcia and Dudek needed to be sent off too? Perhaps for, erm, their hairstyles? Or for wearing red?
KRAMER: "I'm at 1st and 1st. Wait a minute, how can a street intersect into itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"

Offline Velky Al

• Legacy Fan
    • Fuggled
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 09:08:17 am »

Why stop there? Surely Gerrard, Garcia and Dudek needed to be sent off too? Perhaps for, erm, their hairstyles? Or for wearing red?

Or for not signing the dotted line and denting the Chelsea ability to sign anyone they have a passing fancy in?

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 09:09:45 am »
This is a classic too:

QUOTE(Harry Sideras @ Apr 18 2007, 05:21)
I've already been made aware that Liverpool will be targetting Chelsea players to get them booked. It's a real issue that's been flagged well in advance. Hopefully the ref will be aware of that too.

"I've already been made aware" as if the gobshite is privy to some dark sinister plan.  ::) :duh :rollseyes :hally :lmao

My take on the first leg at Stamford Bridge is that chelsea will spend most of the night falling over and surrounding the ref to get our players booked.

Drogba is the biggest cheat in football so it's just as well he signed for chelsea because he fits right in with a few others there. Whenever the trainer runs on the pitch to take the latest imaginary arrow out of Robben's back he has to take a face cloth to wipe the grass stains off the bastard's kipper.

C.H.E.L.S.E.A.

C.H.E.A.T.S.
:no
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline BHB

• I'm the (new) Daddy, and a little bit hormonal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 09:11:16 am »
*rolls eyes*
A Son of Shankly

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 09:52:00 am »
thats a good post,  We all know the real truth behind 'that goal' and so do all the Chelsea 'fans', pundits and whoever else comments on football these days.  I get sick and tired of hearing about the 'big 3' on SSN, in fact I'm so sick of it I'm thinking of turning in my subscription.  Take last night for instance, David Dean of Arsenal left stating 'irreconsilable differences' with the rest of the Arsenal board, and a SSN reporter was outside the Emirates and he said 'Arsenal are not going to go down the route of an American owner like Man U and Aston Villa (Er Hello) and current shareholders won't be selling their shares in the club, also Arsenal still want to compete with the other 'big' clubs like Man U and Chelsea (Er Hello again -arn't we above Arsenal- Again!)'.
It makes me sick that they never portray Liverpool as a big Club on that God forsaken channel, We are still (unless I've gone completely crackers) THE most successful Club in British football and only continue to extent this with recent Treble wins and Champions League win and F.A. Cup win last season.  We all know why they don't give us the credit, but, it still makes me sick to the stomach when they don't mention us in the same breath as the 'other 3'. And Phil Thompson arguably one of our best defenders EVER and one of our most decorated players sits on their 'Soccer(yes thats 'soccer' not Football as we call it in England) Saturday' panel week-in week-out and just sits back and takes it without really putting forward the genuine argument that we are up there with the 'other 3' and we will continue to be for some considerable time IMO.  Even Phil went on about chelsea wanting to 'put right' the goal that never was when it became clear we'd meet them in the Semi's after the PSV game, when he clearly had the opportunity to reitterate what has been mentioned by the ref in 2005 that had he not given a goal then Petr (Get that stupid hat off - your injury must surely have cleared up by now) Cech would have been given a straight Red and a penalty awarded, but, Thompason chose not to do this, I wonder why(maybe his contract is up with Sky soon and he wants a new one!). :no

I think this year is more of a chance for Liverpool to set the record straight(not that we have to) and beat Chelsea off both parks, and show the watching World who truely is The Best Team in Europe, C'mon you Red Men!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:55:13 am by todda »
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline Ste G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 11:20:55 am »
Who gives a fuck about whether it was over the line or not? The record books state we won 1-0. End of.

People talk about bitterness of Chelsea fans, but it seems to be us who protest about it the most.

Oh and todda, I know of a good wood working class. Would you like me to pass on the details so you can do something about the enourmous chip on your shoulder?

Offline todda

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 11:57:00 am »
Who gives a fuck about whether it was over the line or not? The record books state we won 1-0. End of.

People talk about bitterness of Chelsea fans, but it seems to be us who protest about it the most.

Oh and todda, I know of a good wood working class. Would you like me to pass on the details so you can do something about the enourmous chip on your shoulder?

And what Chip would that be Ste G (one with salt and vinegar? coz I ain't got one to my knowledge) plus I don't understand 'I know of a good wood working class' bit in you response, clarify please?
Maybe its you who has a chip on your shoulder,coz I don't, and I don't like and try and avoid getting into personal 'battles' on here or any forums.  If you're suggesting some sort of chip about Working Class then I don't get it coz I am 'working class' if you want to pigeon hole people, personally I don't like to do that, and if that's what your on about what has 'working class' got to do with the goal and people not talking about us with the 'big 3'? , live and let live.  Peace my friend  8)  ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 12:25:21 pm by todda »
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline Hugh Thompson

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 12:26:26 pm »
Am dead worried they'll do to us what they did to Barca at the Bridge 2 years ago, i.e., score 2-3 goals the opening 15. Have this horrible feeling it'll be all but over after the first leg.

They've been playing cupfinals every week for 3 months having kept them on their toes while we've strolled around putting in lacklustre performance after lacklustre performance. This, I hate to say, doesn't bode well.

Offline TommyW

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 12:43:42 pm »
Personally I dont care if it went in or not, we won end of story and to be honest I like it when Mourinho brings it up becasue it reminds me of that great night and the fact that it probably atill keeps him awake at night going over the injustice of it all

If I could somehow chose I'd take the exact same scenario this time round, the fella would probably implode

In short, who cares what he says or thinks?

Offline KevC

• Kopite
  • COME ON YOOOOU RED MEN!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 01:41:29 pm »
I can't find a direct quote from the referee about how he would have sent off Petr Cech though... anyone got a link for that? I would like to bookmark it.  I did go back and look through the match reports though... practically every single one says Cech should have been sent off... maybe we should wite a song about that 'ghost goal' that EMPHASISES how Chelsea were LUCKY not to get Cech sent off AND a PENALTY to boot that we can sing for the semi and change perception a little. ;D

Slovakian referee Lubos Michel would certainly have followed had the advantage not fallen Liverpool’s way.

Michel told the Sunday People: “I believe Chelsea would have preferred the goal to count rather than face a penalty with just ten men for the rest of the game. If my assistant referee had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Petr Cech.”

Michel added: “Roman [Slysco, the assistant referee] beeped me to signal the foul by Cech, but I didn’t know that till later. It was the noise from the crowd that stopped me hearing it. I have refereed at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Manchester United and Arsenal. But I’ve never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. It was incredible. I did not need the signal from Roman, though. I had already seen the foul and played advantage. There was no doubt in Roman’s mind about the goal and he was in the best position to see. I chose him to be part of our team and I trust him. He is a heart surgeon and mistaken decisions are not allowed in his job.”

taken from this thread

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=172299.0
"The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have." - Rafael Benitez

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 01:59:55 pm »

It makes me sick that they never portray Liverpool as a big Club on that God forsaken channel,

so what,fuck them,or anyone else for that matter,we know what L.F.C. is and that is the only thing that matters.
As far as I know,we are not Everton,so we shouldnt act like we are, and moan about someone not thinking that we are a "big club"!!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 02:18:20 pm »
Nothing scandalous. According to Chelskis, it's a conspiracy. Fuck them for all I care

Offline todda

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 02:20:10 pm »
so what,fuck them,or anyone else for that matter,we know what L.F.C. is and that is the only thing that matters.
As far as I know,we are not Everton,so we shouldnt act like we are, and moan about someone not thinking that we are a "big club"!!

Just thought I'd have a rant, couldn't really care what SSN think, just think an ex-player should have stated what the ref said in 2005, rather than go with the 'not a goal' line.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 02:21:26 pm »
Good to see some comments from some of the fucking mongs on this site have been deleted. (He said, as a mod reached for the delete button once more).

Offline firing squad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 02:29:20 pm »
Just thought I'd have a rant, couldn't really care what SSN think, just think an ex-player  should have stated what the ref said in 2005, rather than go with the 'not a goal' line.

maybe talking shit about Liverpool(or keeping quiet) was the condition on his contract!?! ;)
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

Offline todda

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 02:32:19 pm »
maybe talking shit about Liverpool(or keeping quiet) was the condition on his contract!?! ;)

Just like I aluded to in my original post  ;)

Offline firing squad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 02:38:52 pm »
Just like I aluded  to in my original post  ;)

my apologies,guess I didnt read the article entirely! :-[

Offline The Cobbler

• Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 02:47:03 pm »
Look in the record books . Liverpool 1 Chelsea 0 - Goalscorer Luis Garcia
Aggregate score Liverpool 1 Chelsea 0

It matters not a jot what Mourinho, Sky Sports or anybody else says now. I tend to think that the debate ended when the referee awarded the goal and Chelsea kicked off to restart the game...

It's such a tedious subject. We should be aiming to beat them again and really give them something to cry about.

Offline todda

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2007, 03:16:23 pm »

It matters not a jot what Mourinho, Sky Sports or anybody else says now. I tend to think that the debate ended when the referee awarded the goal and Chelsea kicked off to restart the game...

It's such a tedious subject. We should be aiming to beat them again and really give them something to cry about.

Well said, I agree totally lets beat them again, C'mon you Reds!!

Offline A Day 2 Remember

• Legacy Fan
  • At The End Of The Storm - Are we there yet??
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2007, 03:27:46 pm »
I want to read about a Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

Maybe the quote of the month!
5th times a charm

I want to read about a Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

Offline johnjohn

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2007, 04:02:25 pm »
If maureen does bring up the ghost goal before either tie, I am sure rafa will just use it as a piece of motivation to the players.

Offline Emo Phillips

• Master of his domain. Enjoyed a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk. Resident of MILF Island.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2007, 04:45:46 pm »

I think it's the fact that in Mourinho's eyes the debate hasn't ended, and that he'll be using it to motivate his players. They feel "wounded" because of it, so it's a case of beware a wounded animal...

Of course, I don't think any red will care if we win with another "controversial" goal, so long as we win. As in 2005...
KRAMER: "I'm at 1st and 1st. Wait a minute, how can a street intersect into itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2007, 05:08:15 pm »
A manager can be too fired up, and it can back fire on his team. It strikes me Mourinho will fall right into that trap, cos he can't let go of what happened with Garcia's goal.

Liverpool will be equally intent in beating them ' fair and square ' and shut the moaning fucker up, but I reckon under Rafa, we'll be more controlled in our aims.

Somehow I not shitting it over the semi's, I've no doubt we're going to Athens.

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2007, 06:30:43 pm »
Here's the link to the interview with the ref, very well found by Droy on CFCnet (I couldn't find it either):

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/tm_objectid=15490921&method=full&siteid=55768&headline=ref--I-did-chelsea-a-favour-name_page.html

Definitely worth a read: the ref was very complimentary about the atmosphere.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline ScousePie

• Main Stander
  • He's big and he's f*cking hard
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2007, 06:47:27 pm »
I wonder if Ladbrokes would give me odds on Mourinho actually saying something along the lines of "We got beaten fair and square by a better team" after we've dicked them on the pitch and sung them out of Anfield. Reckon i'd get at least 100/1 on that.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 06:54:45 pm »
Id care if more people than Jose went on about it or cared about it. Ive spoke to Chelsea fans and they said that at the time they prefered the goal being given as they fancied themselves getting the away goal with 11 men. As it turned out we defended brilliantly and won the game when Gudjohnson had the goal at his mercy with seconds left. There are few complaints from Chelsea fans Ive talked to

We won the game. Thats it

Then we went on to win the greatest CL final of all time which for me was the talking point of that years CL

Onward and upward
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline LpoolHope5*

• Kopite
  • been to all five big cup homecoming parades
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 06:57:56 pm »
It matters not a jot  ;D
Nicky Campbell: "How do you feel about all of the criticisms that are levelled at the city and at scousers?"

Phil Redmond: "You have to expect that sort of thing when you live at the centre of the universe"

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 07:18:40 pm »
Doesn't Mourinho forget to mention that they never scored in either game... so how did they win it again?
Its all mind-games and people needing something to write about I think.

Offline iceberg wedge

• Boys Pen
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2007, 08:13:22 pm »
Perhaps it deserves a song since Mourinho won't shut up about it. "It crossed the line" to the tune of "I walk the line" by Johnny Cash.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=krVACUbciJE

or sung a little faster for those in 202
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eZa5RGMdvek

Would lead in nicely to Ring of fire..... then again everything seems to lead in nicely to der der der der der der der der...
Should have thought about this sooner.  Then again maybe it is just beating a dead horse

Offline todda

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2007, 09:35:49 am »
It matters not a jot  ;D

It matters not one Wit!!!!   ;D

Quoted from Bernard Cribbins in a Hillareous episode of Fawlty Towers - They were all Hillareous in Fact.

Offline Swieve

• Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 96! DON'T BUY THE SUN
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2007, 06:16:11 pm »
If Chelsea had scored scored in the sixth minute of injury time we would still be complaining about it and with good reason.  We would have stated that the ball hadn't crossed the line ;) and that a penalty kick and red card should have followed.  And where the f*!k did the six minutes come from.  I wonder what Jose would have said

Probably that justice was done for Milan's dive :D

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2007, 08:33:11 pm »
Ufortunately Tompkins is another fish who has been hooked by Mourinho's bait :P

Yup, Jose's moaning about that game was tedious in the extreme but most intelligent fans know the truth, Chelsea were beaten fair and square that night. Getting annoyed by this stirring though is just what some of these c*nts like Mourinho want us to do...

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2007, 01:53:58 am »
Am dead worried they'll do to us what they did to Barca at the Bridge 2 years ago, i.e., score 2-3 goals the opening 15. Have this horrible feeling it'll be all but over after the first leg.

They've been playing cupfinals every week for 3 months having kept them on their toes while we've strolled around putting in lacklustre performance after lacklustre performance. This, I hate to say, doesn't bode well.

That's just nerves mate.

Yes, they could do that but by the same token so could we.

Chelsea have a real fucking problem with this first leg at Stamford Bridge.

Do they attack and go for a lead - and maybe leave themselves open? Or are they cautious, maybe even be happy with a nil-nil?

The Anfield Factor will play on their minds.   ;)

Yes, if they really went for it, they may swamp us. But I don't see the Chelsea team this season as being built that way.

As for them playing "cup finals". Eventually that wears them out. Physically and mentally. Both Chelsea and Man U are looking increasingly tired.

We could catch them out with a Barca-style result down there.  ;)

As long as we have something to go for at Anfield, I'll be happy.

Anfield on May 1st will be better than 2005 if we have something to go for.

They know that. That means they may take risks in the first leg.

And that might let us in.  ;)

Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline so kop end lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2007, 02:26:47 am »
Fuck off chelsea fc

You ain't got no celeary history

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2007, 03:57:28 am »
That's just nerves mate.

Yes, they could do that but by the same token so could we.

Chelsea have a real fucking problem with this first leg at Stamford Bridge.

Do they attack and go for a lead - and maybe leave themselves open? Or are they cautious, maybe even be happy with a nil-nil?

The Anfield Factor will play on their minds.   ;)

Yes, if they really went for it, they may swamp us. But I don't see the Chelsea team this season as being built that way.

As for them playing "cup finals". Eventually that wears them out. Physically and mentally. Both Chelsea and Man U are looking increasingly tired.

We could catch them out with a Barca-style result down there.  ;)

As long as we have something to go for at Anfield, I'll be happy.

Anfield on May 1st will be better than 2005 if we have something to go for.

They know that. That means they may take risks in the first leg.

And that might let us in.  ;)

What are y'all babbling about? 

There is no fear