Author Topic: PL: Sheff U 0 vs 2 Liverpool VVD 37’ Szoboszlai 90+5’  (Read 15866 times)

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: PL: Sheff U 0 vs 2 Liverpool VVD 37’ Szoboszlai 90+5’
« Reply #400 on: December 7, 2023, 10:15:03 am »
I must have been watching a different game to most on here……….thought we were very professional and matched them physically, won our challenges, protected Kelleher and on another night could have won 4-0. It was never going to be a night where we were allowed to play our normal game. Wilder had them wound up and we stood our ground and I thought we always looked completely in control.

Exactly the type of game and result that top teams get.
JFT97

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #401 on: December 7, 2023, 10:21:52 am »
I think if the second goal had come 20 minutes earlier everyone would say it was a really solid away performance. I know I always get worse the longer a game like that stays 1-0 as you know there’s always a chance something can break their way. Seems like we quite often find a killer second in injury time (Everton at home this season amongst others). The 80 minute mark would be more relaxing!

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #402 on: December 7, 2023, 10:41:49 am »
Thought Hooper was shit, seems to be in every game he refs. Should have been a red for stamp on Mac, if Jones was that was too, missed 3 pens, including blatant shirt pull on virg, Archer the forward for them, dived at least 3 times and got free kicks for all yet wilder will incist they were robbed.

Offline Red_Potato

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Potato beats scissors
« Reply #403 on: December 7, 2023, 10:41:58 am »
Really important result.
Buy Trent a belt for Christmas.  :)
SOS member 7832

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #404 on: December 7, 2023, 10:43:15 am »
Job done. Terrible news about Matip  :(
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline ahfolk79

• Main Stander
« Reply #405 on: December 7, 2023, 10:51:03 am »
Chris Wilder is a really peculiar, anachronistic manager. The two finger whistle thing looks like he's instructing a sheepdog. I find it hard to believe that players will pay any attention to those whistles.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2023, 11:20:02 am by ahfolk79 »
"He’s not so much a player I can really take responsibility for. I’d have to share the responsibility for Joe, less so than for people like [Christian] Poulsen, [Raul] Meireles and [Paul] Konchesky, who are players I was quite happy to bring to the club."

Roy feeling justifiably smug about the powerhouses he snatched from under the noses of Barca

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #406 on: December 7, 2023, 10:57:48 am »
I just read about "Feed the Scousers" chant and Jack Robinson... Huh? I thought Sheffield fans are under Liverpool's "friendly" opposition category?
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: December 7, 2023, 11:00:27 am »
I just read about "Feed the Scousers" chant and Jack Robinson... Huh? I thought Sheffield fans are under Liverpool's "friendly" opposition category?

You've never been to Bramhall Lane I see.
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #408 on: December 7, 2023, 11:09:31 am »
Pleased we’ve got a week off essentially before the Yernited game. Go big against Palace, get the three points and then get some rest. Be intrigued to see who starts. Imagine Diaz starts on the bench and Macca and Gomez drop out for Grav and Tsimi.

Some of these players will have to start the Europa game as well though. I don’t think we’ve had a free midweek since August (when playing outside of the internationals), which is just crazy. And there won’t be a one until the end of the year either. The schedule is just mad these days.

We’ve got that game against West Ham as well in the League cup when some other big teams are going to be resting in midweek so someone is going to have to play in that too. Really need to get through the next couple of games without any more injuries. Have a feeling there are going to be some horrid away games where it will be a similar grind to yesterday. Palace away included probably.
YWNA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #409 on: December 7, 2023, 11:37:22 am »
Really important result.
Buy Trent a belt for Christmas.  :)

Maybe displaying a bit of builder’s bum is a new thing for trendy youngsters?

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #410 on: December 7, 2023, 11:41:52 am »
Thought Hooper was shit, seems to be in every game he refs. Should have been a red for stamp on Mac, if Jones was that was too, missed 3 pens, including blatant shirt pull on virg, Archer the forward for them, dived at least 3 times and got free kicks for all yet wilder will incist they were robbed.

The problem with teams is like that is they play rough but go down at every opportunity as set pieces are their only way of creating anything.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: December 7, 2023, 11:55:35 am »
thankfully he also made a mistake with nunez's tackle pre his great assist. was a brilliant effort and had no right to win the ball, but he had to go through the man to get it.

if it happened to us i'd have expected a free kick and probably a yellow depending on the way the game had been reffed (last night he was light on yellows, so wouldn't have expected one there).

for the amount of time they checked the contact before VVD's goal, they really should have thoroughly considered the blatant foul on gakpo during a set piece. didnt clock if it happened in the box, but that and their lanky defender literally bear hugging VVD second half was the only foul play I saw (the Sheffield guy on amazon was desperately claiming we'd done a sneaky move for the VVD goal - if the guy defended instead of rolling around playing injured he might have challenged haha)

Offline Four Four Three

• Kemlynite
« Reply #412 on: December 7, 2023, 12:12:45 pm »
Nah, not having that after the last couple of games. We were winning everything then, beating all sorts of records.
We're much better than last year of course, but we are conceding far too many chances for no good reason.

That said, there is no team in this year's league that looks as good as our title-winning team, but someone will win it.

There's one aspect that is better than ever under Klopp though: Everybody's contributing with goals - in particular the midfield. We're not relying on 3-4 players to score and win us games. Endo, Szobo, VVD, Mac, Trent...
The lack of goals from midfield was one of the key weaknesses of the previous generation Liverpool team.

We're not at the level of 19/20 but in the same amount of matches played now and then, we've concedes a similiar amount of goals, kept a similar amount of clean sheets and goals scored.  Even then we played Sheffield away and had some luck winning 1-0

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #413 on: December 7, 2023, 12:18:43 pm »

he was missing some terrible diving and play acting form Sheff Utd all game!

The best one was from Virgil’s goal when Robinson (I think) dived to try and suggest a foul from Virgil, and practically rolled from one side of the penalty area to the other.

anyway, all good in the end, the right result against a bunch of cloggers who got a grand total of 1 shot on target all night.  2 good goals too, great finish by Virg, a great tackle and pass from Darwin and such a cool finish from Szobo.

Job done!

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: December 7, 2023, 12:20:17 pm »
thankfully he also made a mistake with nunez's tackle pre his great assist. was a brilliant effort and had no right to win the ball, but he had to go through the man to get it.

if it happened to us i'd have expected a free kick and probably a yellow depending on the way the game had been reffed (last night he was light on yellows, so wouldn't have expected one there).

for the amount of time they checked the contact before VVD's goal, they really should have thoroughly considered the blatant foul on gakpo during a set piece. didnt clock if it happened in the box, but that and their lanky defender literally bear hugging VVD second half was the only foul play I saw (the Sheffield guy on amazon was desperately claiming we'd done a sneaky move for the VVD goal - if the guy defended instead of rolling around playing injured he might have challenged haha)

I think the Gakpo one was deemed to be outside of the box when contact was initiated.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #415 on: December 7, 2023, 12:26:36 pm »
Feels like a massive win.

Three huge games in the League with a European game and Milk Cup Quarters thrown in for good measure.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: December 7, 2023, 12:32:20 pm »
I think the Gakpo one was deemed to be outside of the box when contact was initiated.
makes sense, cheers

ultimately i prefer VAR didn't intervene in either (vvd goal and that foul) rather than both (disallowing but giving foul on gakpo)
Feels like a massive win.

Three huge games in the League with a European game and Milk Cup Quarters thrown in for good measure.
yep exactly this - six points from this and Fulham is a great return (and exactly what we needed, if we're pushing on to achieve better objectives than merely returning to CL qualification).

only thing that mattered was the points and no injuries, not performance, so it's upsetting to lose Matip but performance wise happy with the improved fight and effort levels last night over a couple of slack spells against fulham. now got to win the next very winnable game to capitalise before fixtures turn really congested and games become much more attritional
« Last Edit: December 7, 2023, 12:35:07 pm by classycarra »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #417 on: December 7, 2023, 12:39:57 pm »
Quite rare to get a volley from a corner. Mo had a similar chance to when their keeper made a really good save. Must have been something we worked on to get that much space in the middle of the box from a set piece.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: December 7, 2023, 01:10:37 pm »
Was good to see Jones and Elliot eat up some minutes.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #419 on: December 7, 2023, 01:55:19 pm »
I must have been watching a different game to most on here……….thought we were very professional and matched them physically, won our challenges, protected Kelleher and on another night could have won 4-0. It was never going to be a night where we were allowed to play our normal game. Wilder had them wound up and we stood our ground and I thought we always looked completely in control.

Exactly the type of game and result that top teams get.

Agree with this.

It was a professional performance. Sheffield United are a poor side but all I wanted was 3 comfortable points after the Fulham game.

Hoping for a more convincing attacking display against a ragged Palace at home.
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline fancy lad

• Kemlynite
« Reply #420 on: December 7, 2023, 01:55:41 pm »

I thought the shirt pulling was so blatant.  It was pretty crazy that they didn't make a bigger deal of it. 

Ref in general was letting so much go.  It was weird.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #421 on: December 7, 2023, 01:58:04 pm »
Agree with this.

It was a professional performance. Sheffield United are a poor side but all I wanted was 3 comfortable points after the Fulham game.

Hoping for a more convincing attacking display against a ragged Palace at home.

Unfortunately we are away for the Saturday 1230 slot.

Offline fancy lad

• Kemlynite
« Reply #422 on: December 7, 2023, 02:03:03 pm »
Was good to see Jones and Elliot eat up some minutes.

Nothing was good about Jones' game. 

For a guy like him, his appearance was disappointing.  I thought he was way too casual. 
For a player in his position (both literally and figuratively) i would have liked to see him play with way more energy and urgency out there.  Especially given it was only a 1 goal lead and Sheffield were showing possible counter threats here and there.  He did nothing to impose himself or even make himself noticeable.  shame.

Given the competition in midfield, Curtis needs to bring way more.
I've liked him at times this year, but he's been too hit and miss and hes putting himself lower in the pecking order.

Also since this is the game thread: Virgil was MOM 100%. He's back.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #423 on: December 7, 2023, 02:05:11 pm »
Unfortunately we are away for the Saturday 1230 slot.

Oh shite you are right.

1-0 then please!
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: December 7, 2023, 02:08:29 pm »
Nothing was good about Jones' game. 

For a guy like him, his appearance was disappointing.  I thought he was way too casual. 
For a player in his position (both literally and figuratively) i would have liked to see him play with way more energy and urgency out there.  Especially given it was only a 1 goal lead and Sheffield were showing possible counter threats here and there.  He did nothing to impose himself or even make himself noticeable.  shame.

Given the competition in midfield, Curtis needs to bring way more.
I've liked him at times this year, but he's been too hit and miss and hes putting himself lower in the pecking order.

Also since this is the game thread: Virgil was MOM 100%. He's back.
I thought he struggled when introduced, as did Gravenberch (although he was much more periphery, whereas Jones had more involvement but also more that wasn't up to his usual standards). Think he took a knock to his ankle during a moment on the right flank (where we didn't do a great job on an overload, and lost the ball - and were probably offside too) - which can't have helped.

Main reason I bring it up is it serves as a reminder of just how good (and rare) a quality Elliot has - he's consistently coming on and almost immediately contributing and 'up to speed'. Rarely any sense that he's 'feeling his way into the game', which is very much the norm. Long may it continue, and hopefully it spreads because I don't think we've had many other consistent high-level sub appearances from midfielders (and we'll probably be rotating/subbing more in upcoming months as we have players return from injury)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #425 on: December 7, 2023, 02:20:47 pm »
I didn't think it was a good overall performance yesterday. However, in hindsight I'm quite happy with how it played out.

Being able to grind out a win and keep a clean sheet when under pressure away from home is one of the things we've struggled to do. Whilst it wasn't pretty, we dug in and defended for our lives as a team. We took pride in keeping that clean sheet at all costs.

I do think we need to be more clinical in front of goal in these games. Salah and Nunez both game up short in this regard. It was the same, for Nunez, versus Luton.

Going away to any team in the PL and winning isn't easy. Doing it on a consistent basis require defensive solidity complemented with being clinical in front of goal. Some green shoots around some of this from yesterday's game, that build on what we saw from the Wolves game for example.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: December 7, 2023, 02:54:16 pm »
Liverpool is a huge scalp for any English team. If a weaker side beats us, it’s a big story. This makes those away games hard because they raise their game.

We find it easier in the Europa League because that desire isn’t there.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #427 on: December 7, 2023, 04:44:23 pm »
Our away form has not been great but that win with a clean sheet was perfect.

great way to start this busy period
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: December 7, 2023, 09:08:04 pm »

Main reason I bring it up is it serves as a reminder of just how good (and rare) a quality Elliot has - he's consistently coming on and almost immediately contributing and 'up to speed'. Rarely any sense that he's 'feeling his way into the game', which is very much the norm. Long may it continue, and hopefully it spreads because I don't think we've had many other consistent high-level sub appearances from midfielders (and we'll probably be rotating/subbing more in upcoming months as we have players return from injury)

Good shout that.

Awful football team SHU. Classic English batter-ball.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: December 7, 2023, 09:57:52 pm »
Decent article from Dale Johnson on the midweek VAR talking points if anyone is interested. It includes both our goals yesterday as well as the Sheffield United penalty claim which got reviewed.

It surprised me that Johnson is of the opinion that the second goal should probably have been overturned, to me it looked a good tackle, he says the decisions were right on the other two though.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39052949/the-var-review-mac-allister-foul-liverpool-goal-arsenal-penalty

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #430 on: December 8, 2023, 01:13:24 am »
Was astonished that he didn't blow Darwin for the tackle before the goal.
Maybe later, in the dressing room...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Buster Gonad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #431 on: December 8, 2023, 01:18:55 am »
Decent article from Dale Johnson on the midweek VAR talking points if anyone is interested. It includes both our goals yesterday as well as the Sheffield United penalty claim which got reviewed.

It surprised me that Johnson is of the opinion that the second goal should probably have been overturned, to me it looked a good tackle, he says the decisions were right on the other two though.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39052949/the-var-review-mac-allister-foul-liverpool-goal-arsenal-penalty

Shows the rock knows nothing about football.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #432 on: December 8, 2023, 06:56:51 am »

Seems to have split refs. Some say it’s a good tackle, some a clear foul.  So, ref’s call seems like the right outcome form VAR then.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #433 on: December 8, 2023, 08:01:31 am »
Shows the rock knows nothing about football.

;D
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: December 8, 2023, 09:03:13 am »
Liverpool is a huge scalp for any English team. If a weaker side beats us, it’s a big story. This makes those away games hard because they raise their game.

We find it easier in the Europa League because that desire isn’t there.

It's no different in Europe. Toulouse treated our game there like a cup final because it was Liverpool.

Every away game we play is difficult and will be a hard slog if we're not at our best.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: December 8, 2023, 09:04:49 am »
Seems to have split refs. Some say it’s a good tackle, some a clear foul.  So, ref’s call seems like the right outcome form VAR then.

Most calls do though which is why VAR is useless for subjective decisions.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #436 on: December 8, 2023, 10:00:19 am »
Most calls do though which is why VAR is useless for subjective decisions.

Also why you’re still at the mercy of a crap onfield decision because they can always hide behind the clear and obvious guff.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: December 8, 2023, 10:04:06 am »
Also why you’re still at the mercy of a crap onfield decision because they can always hide behind the clear and obvious guff.

Which is also completely subjective.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: December 8, 2023, 10:14:57 am »
Which is also completely subjective.

VAR decides whether to intervene on the basis of a subjective decision BOTH about whether there was an error AND about whether it was clear and obvious error. What could possibly go wrong with such a brilliant system?