Author Topic: IOC suspends India  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
IOC suspends India
« on: December 4, 2012, 02:09:00 pm »
The IOC suspended India's national Olympic committee on Tuesday because of government interference in its election process, two officials with knowledge of the decision said.

After months of warnings, the IOC executive board imposed the sanction when the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) failed to comply with the world body's demands for holding independent elections, the officials said.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the official announcement hadn't been made yet. An IOC news conference was scheduled for later Tuesday at the end of the executive board's first day of a two-day meeting.

Suspension means the Indian body will stop receiving IOC funding and its officials will be banned from attending Olympic meetings and events. India's athletes will be barred from competing in Olympic events under their national flag, although the IOC could allow them to do so under the Olympic

International Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Adams said he could not comment.

"I can't discuss that because any decisions that are taken have to be communicated to any countries involved," he said.

In New Delhi, acting IOA president Vijay Kumar Malhotra said that the association "has not been intimated about any suspension so far."

Indian Sports Minister Jitendra Singh called the IOC decision "very unfortunate, more so for sports persons."

"I'm only concerned about the sports persons, am waiting for details," he told the Times Now news channel.

Abhey Singh Chautala, who is unopposed for election as IOA president, told reporters in New Delhi that a suspension would be a "one-sided decision."

"We had written to them, asking them to give some time to our two-member committee to tell them about our position," he said. "They've not listened to our side. We will go to IOC again and explain to them how elections were carried out here."

The IOC had also recently threatened to suspend Kuwait's Olympic committee, but the Gulf nation amended its sports law last week and was not hit with an IOC sanction on Tuesday.

The IOC had repeatedly told the Indian body to adhere to its own constitution and the Olympic Charter and not follow the government's sports code for this week's elections. The IOC will not recognize the results if the elections are held under government rules.

The Indians have been mired in wrangling over the elections to replace Suresh Kalmadi, who was jailed for nine months on corruption charges related to the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi. Kalmadi, who headed the IOA for 16 years, decided not to seek re-election.

The Indian vote, originally scheduled for last month, has been postponed to Wednesday following the resignation of election commission chairman SY Quraishi.

On Friday, the IOA announced the appointment of some officials to posts which were not contested in the elections. Appointed as secretary general was Lalit Bhanot, who is also facing graft charges relating to the Commonwealth Games.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/others/International-Olympic-Committee-suspends-India/articleshow/17478889.cms

Really sick of some of these politicians who concentrate on power and money alone. They give fuck all for national pride
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline masher

• Legacy Fan
  • hippie at heart
Re: IOC suspends India
« Reply #1 on: December 4, 2012, 03:50:52 pm »
Good, about time. Hopefully a new body gets recognized by IOC and IOA can go fuck themselves. Not sure much will change tough.

Fucking embarrassing.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2012, 02:32:44 am by masher »

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 5, 2012, 06:47:58 am »
Well done.  Makes me proud to see how efficient some of our high officers are. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline fonzielfc

• Anny Roader
  • Red is the colour
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 5, 2012, 07:53:01 am »
India really needs an overhaul of its sports management. We need to get rid of these oldies occupying all the top positions. I mean look at VK Malhotra. An 80 year old who has been heading the Archery association for the last 4 decades. FOUR fucking decades!!!!
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared
to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

- Bill Shankly

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #4 on: December 5, 2012, 09:18:27 am »
India really needs an overhaul of its sports management. We need to get rid of these oldies occupying all the top positions. I mean look at VK Malhotra. An 80 year old who has been heading the Archery association for the last 4 decades. FOUR fucking decades!!!!

To be honest, that sounds like almost every other sports association (including the IOC)... ;)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: December 5, 2012, 09:20:33 am »
Which country will take up the mantle of mot underperforming nation now?

Frees up a couple of Shooting Bronzes for the rest of us I guess. ;)

Offline fonzielfc

• Anny Roader
  • Red is the colour
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: December 5, 2012, 09:34:26 am »
To be honest, that sounds like almost every other sports association (including the IOC)... ;)

;D

An overhaul is necessary though. For a country of more than a billion we have been pathetic in terms of sporting achievements (a few medals aside). Lets hope this is the trigger that finally sees sports being taken seriously in India.

- Bill Shankly

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #7 on: December 5, 2012, 09:41:33 am »
Fucking shambolic. Its depressing how corrupt my home country is. Politicians in India are either thugs or uneducated twats who claim to associate with the lower classes. Every sport is so poorly managed is unreal. Its a nation of a billion people that produces 0 world class sportsmen a year barring cricketers, and we're shit at that half the time anyway.  :butt :butt
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: December 5, 2012, 10:10:31 am »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

more pressing concerns don't you think?

in this decade we will see more indian motoracers,poker is exploding in india,we might see a half decent tennis player and if we push it a little longer we might see a semi decent footballer.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Jimmy Two Times

• Two Times. A good fella. RAWK Cricket ODI Draft champion
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 5, 2012, 10:11:50 am »
Good. Even the sportspersons under the IOA are happy.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #10 on: December 5, 2012, 10:24:34 am »
India really needs an overhaul of its sports management.

This.

Create a national association for some sports (hockey, cricket, football, tennis and athletics) to begin with and all under one central body.

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: December 5, 2012, 10:27:51 am »
Is any Indian surprised by this? I most certainly am not. What difference it makes anyway to most of the population. They don't give a rat's ass for any sport except cricket. I feel sorry for other sports persons. It is nothing short of a curse to be having any sporting talent (other than cricket) in this country. Makes me more depressing everyday to see where we are headed as a Nation in all respects.
YNWA

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 5, 2012, 10:44:29 am »
not so much anymore.

there are private players entering everywhere.

if you really have a gift in certain sports it isn't hard to get sponsorship anymore.obviously this applies to glamour sports not things like archery etc.

NBA has it's own developmental academy,MRF it's own racing academy,poker has pretty much exploded everywhere and top tier football academies are sprinkled throughout.

the organization doesn't matter.not in this country-it never has.bindra? managed just fine.

just a matter of time

Offline fonzielfc

• Anny Roader
  • Red is the colour
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: December 5, 2012, 10:50:55 am »
Is any Indian surprised by this? I most certainly am not. What difference it makes anyway to most of the population. They don't give a rat's ass for any sport except cricket. I feel sorry for other sports persons. It is nothing short of a curse to be having any sporting talent (other than cricket) in this country. Makes me more depressing everyday to see where we are headed as a Nation in all respects.

Thats not totally correct in my opinion. India's cricket obsession is based on success. India has won two world cups in cricket and has consistently produced world class cricketers. Before cricket, India was a hockey mad nation. And that madness again was based on success on the pitch. 7 Olympic golds fuelled that madness. When hockey success began to fade, cricket took its place. And what accelerated the transition from hockey to cricket? The 83 world cup win. So if the Indian population does not give a rat's ass, the reason is the pathetic state the other sports in India are. And that state can only be blamed on one special breed of people - the sports politicians..erm...i mean...administrators.

This ban is a blessing in disguise only if we take this as an opportunity to revamp the whole system. Get the proposed sports code in operation. Let sportsperson be involved in making the decisions at the upper levels.

One can hope! :)

- Bill Shankly

Offline fonzielfc

• Anny Roader
  • Red is the colour
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: December 5, 2012, 10:53:36 am »
not so much anymore.

there are private players entering everywhere.

if you really have a gift in certain sports it isn't hard to get sponsorship anymore.obviously this applies to glamour sports not things like archery etc.

NBA has it's own developmental academy,MRF it's own racing academy,poker has pretty much exploded everywhere and top tier football academies are sprinkled throughout.

the organization doesn't matter.not in this country-it never has.bindra? managed just fine.

just a matter of time

Private players can only do so much. They cater to only certain sports and a certain class. India needs a modern sporting set up to truly realize its sporting potential.

- Bill Shankly

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 5, 2012, 11:17:40 am »
sure.but what sporting potential?

why do you think we are an underperforming nation?because we have a billion people?

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #16 on: December 5, 2012, 11:29:22 am »
You guys think we will learn from this? The oldies wont let a change to happen. They lack creativity or innovation or whatever you call. These morons are only concerned on earning money and power.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline fonzielfc

• Anny Roader
  • Red is the colour
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: December 5, 2012, 02:38:31 pm »
sure.but what sporting potential?

why do you think we are an underperforming nation?because we have a billion people?

Not just because we have a billion people, although that plays a part, but also because we see all these small successes despite the system. we have Mary Kom winning 5 World Championships, boxers and shooters winning medals despite the shambles that Indian sport is. If the system gets its act together, we might just see many more athletes realize their potential.

As I said before, one can hope!  :)

- Bill Shankly