Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4151881 times)

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #67520 on: September 22, 2021, 12:30:32 pm »
Martin won the equivalent of the lottery when he got that title; after his opponent got injured during the fight! Then Eddie apparently offered £6 million to fight Joshua!
Yeah and he only got that title shot in the first place because Fury flushed the belt down the toilet if I remember right.

Basically, Usyk is Joshua's first southpaw opponent.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #67521 on: September 22, 2021, 08:10:54 pm »
Believe the Ken Burns doc about The Greatest is the dogs bollix. I'll watch it after AJ gets ko'd lol

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67522 on: September 23, 2021, 11:48:51 am »
What was peoples thoughts on the bellew Usyk fight - for all the Uysk being a great boxer i thought Bellew was more than even in that fight before he got knocked out. Will this have any say in how this one goes?
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67523 on: September 23, 2021, 12:19:02 pm »
Just seen that Ken Burns has done a documentary on Ali. Sounds like it is his best work so far.

Has it been released anywhere in the UK?

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67524 on: September 23, 2021, 12:20:06 pm »
Believe the Ken Burns doc about The Greatest is the dogs bollix. I'll watch it after AJ gets ko'd lol
Clearly didn't bother looking up!

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #67525 on: September 23, 2021, 12:35:31 pm »
What was peoples thoughts on the bellew Usyk fight - for all the Uysk being a great boxer i thought Bellew was more than even in that fight before he got knocked out. Will this have any say in how this one goes?

Bellew was competitive and in the fight before the KO but he was working insanely hard just to keep it close and he said as much himself. By the time he was knocked out he had nothing left and it wasn't all down to the damage he had taken (Usyk did win rounds and caught him flush a few times before it was done).

Uysk was always in control of the fight but credit to Bellew, he did make it a contest. Usyk's movement and footwork is clever and damaging in how it constantly keeps his opponents guessing and wondering. As the rounds drag on it becomes physically and mentally draining and he seems to take information in and gradually he wears the other fighter down. He is capable of doing similar to AJ but AJ is a much bigger specimen who hits harder than anyone Usyk has faced. It'll be interesting to see how Usyk approaches the fight; does he potshot, make AJ move more than he wants to and try and drag him into deep water later on, or does he go aggressive like Ruiz did and try and buzz AJ early and take advantage? For all the talk of Usyk not having the power to hurt AJ, Ruiz isn't a notoriously big puncher but he had AJ down several times and AJ was beaten out of exhaustion as much as anything else. I don't think you need to be a particularly big puncher to get to AJ, and on that front I think Usyk punches plenty hard enough to cause AJ trouble. These heavyweights are what they say in the description! They are big fellas and size or not, if they land a few clean (especially so on somoneone like AJ who has shown to struggle after a clean shot) then anything is possible.

The flipside of this is whether Usyk can withstand a flurry of heavy punches from AJ. Usyk's chin has shown to be solid but AJ's power is legit and I'm sure Usyk's chin will be tested at some point. I'm saying 70/30 in favour of AJ. Usyk is a live dog and if his game plan is right and AJ is caught clean and/or forced to be very mobile and gets frustrated then he'll be in trouble because Usyk is a far superior boxer and has the potential to tie AJ in knots.

Offline jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #67526 on: September 23, 2021, 12:44:03 pm »

Usyk was controlling that fight from the very first moment. He was never in trouble and was just setting Bellew up for the stoppage, for all Bellew's bravado.

I don't think he has the power to stop Joshua unless Joshua seriously gasses out. But one thing is for sure, Usyk would not take this fight if he didn't think he could win it. And I saw someone interviewed who, when he asked Usyk about Joshua said 'I know how to beat him'. And I don't doubt that he believes that. He is smart and can adapt his tactics mid-fight, something I haven't seen Joshua successfully do.

I can see this fight going to points, maybe 7-5 or 8-4 for Usyk, with a controversial hometown decision for Joshua.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:49:09 pm by jedimaster »
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67527 on: September 23, 2021, 12:55:22 pm »
Haven't watched that fight back, but I remember thinking at the time that the Sky commentators must have been watching a different fight because it was obvious what was happening.  Bellew was in the fight in the same way that McGregor was in the fight with Floyd or Amir Khan was in the fight with Canelo.  History is littered with these guys who were doing well until suddenly they weren't.

AJ is a very different prospect to Bellew though so I don't think you can really draw any conclusions.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67528 on: September 23, 2021, 01:05:39 pm »
Usyk was controlling that fight from the very first moment. He was never in trouble and was just setting Bellew up for the stoppage, for all Bellew's bravado.

I don't think he has the power to stop Joshua unless Joshua seriously gasses out. But one thing is for sure, Usyk would not take this fight if he didn't think he could win it. And I saw someone interviewed who, when he asked Usyk about Joshua said 'I know how to beat him'. And I don't doubt that he believes that. He is smart and can adapt his tactics mid-fight, something I haven't seen Joshua successfully do.

I can see this fight going to points, maybe 7-5 or 8-4 for Usyk, with a controversial hometown decision for Joshua.

I think the opposite of Joshua to be honest. He has adjusted, I think he did so against Klitschko and, to an extent, against Ruiz, to name two.

If he gets Usyk behind the jab early, and realises it'll be hard to knock him out, he seems to be more than capable and patient enough to adjust.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #67529 on: September 23, 2021, 01:07:41 pm »
I think the opposite of Joshua to be honest. He has adjusted, I think he did so against Klitschko and, to an extent, against Ruiz, to name two.

If he gets Usyk behind the jab early, and realises it'll be hard to knock him out, he seems to be more than capable and patient enough to adjust.

Klitschko was 41, on the back of a lay off and took AJ to hell and back. And the Ruiz who turned up in the second fight didn't even bother to train. I most definitely see improvements in AJ strategically but this is going to be a proper, proper test of that.

Offline jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #67530 on: September 23, 2021, 01:23:32 pm »

I disagree on that point. He didn't adapt in mid fight against Ruiz at all, he adapted between fights. And in the second fight he fought a completely different unmotivated fighter.

Against Klitschko he was lucky to be honest. He survived by taking a few rounds off and by Klitschko not pressing his advantage.

Usyk against Bellew was the most impressive dismantling of an opponent I have seen in years. He didn't let Bellew's bravado or pressure faze him at all. He found his range and then slowly and methodically broke him down. Bellew looked physically and mentally exhausted at the end. And if Joshua lets the ghosts of the Ruiz fight into his head during a tough moment he will expend a lot of nervous energy. Joshua needs to be mentally as strong as Usyk to win this fight.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67531 on: September 23, 2021, 01:33:00 pm »

Did Bellew land a punch of note in that fight? He won rounds on pressure but was already shegged by the halfway point and was brutally stopped.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67532 on: September 23, 2021, 01:41:51 pm »
If you think Usyk v Bellew was the best dismantling of opponents you've seen in years, you've not been watching Lomachenko's fights mate.  :D

Offline jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #67533 on: September 23, 2021, 01:55:21 pm »
If you think Usyk v Bellew was the best dismantling of opponents you've seen in years, you've not been watching Lomachenko's fights mate.  :D

True, these days I don't watch as much boxing as I used to, I mainly end up watching fighters I am already familiar with on crap streams :D Lomachenko is definitely someone I need to check out on Youtube :)

Offline jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #67534 on: September 23, 2021, 02:13:16 pm »
Joshua-Usyk press conference live streaming on Youtube now. Check out the state of Usyk :D

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67535 on: September 23, 2021, 02:15:25 pm »
Klitschko was 41, on the back of a lay off and took AJ to hell and back. And the Ruiz who turned up in the second fight didn't even bother to train. I most definitely see improvements in AJ strategically but this is going to be a proper, proper test of that.

Klitschko was motivated as hell and AJ used the rounds for resting until he struck. He was ahead in the scorecards too before that point.

And I don't doubt it is going to be a test - I think Usyk will win - but I think it's fair to say that AJ's boxing nous, that saw him win an Olympic gold, is being underplayed in this thread.

I disagree on that point. He didn't adapt in mid fight against Ruiz at all, he adapted between fights. And in the second fight he fought a completely different unmotivated fighter.

Against Klitschko he was lucky to be honest. He survived by taking a few rounds off and by Klitschko not pressing his advantage.

Ruiz had definitely partied, but Joshua went behind the double jab when he realised that a knockout would be hard.

Klitschko is on record as saying that he couldn't get to Joshua during these rounds. "I tried, I wasn't able", he famously said. AJ was doing enough to keep himself up on the scorecard after tasting a knockdown. That ain't luck.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67536 on: September 23, 2021, 02:52:03 pm »
The Klitschko fight was 4 and a half years ago and AJ's 19th fight.

I agree on your second point though. I think the first Andy Ruiz fight may be the best thing that happened to him. He has been much more mature since then. I think he is using his boxing skills more and relying less on his power.

This will be a great test of it and, if he wins, will set him up well for Fury.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67537 on: September 23, 2021, 03:54:23 pm »
Klitschko was motivated as hell and AJ used the rounds for resting until he struck. He was ahead in the scorecards too before that point.

And I don't doubt it is going to be a test - I think Usyk will win - but I think it's fair to say that AJ's boxing nous, that saw him win an Olympic gold, is being underplayed in this thread.

Ruiz had definitely partied, but Joshua went behind the double jab when he realised that a knockout would be hard.

Klitschko is on record as saying that he couldn't get to Joshua during these rounds. "I tried, I wasn't able", he famously said. AJ was doing enough to keep himself up on the scorecard after tasting a knockdown. That ain't luck.

Home town cooking is why he won Olympic gold, but he defo underated in that respect

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67538 on: September 23, 2021, 04:39:19 pm »
We all agree that Tony Bellew is an absolute helmet though, right?

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67539 on: September 23, 2021, 05:27:03 pm »

Absolutely. I listen to a boxing podcast that has a Bellew of the Week for people who say stupid things. Its called Boxing Asylum. Its a good laigh

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67540 on: September 24, 2021, 09:12:06 am »
Perhaps it's because he's always labelled a cruiserweight at heavyweight, but I was surprised at how big Usyk looked yesterday standing toe-to-toe with AJ. Of course Vlad is the biggest name he's beaten up until now, but this will be AJ's toughest fight. Still though he's lost a lot of muscle and will no doubt be his lightest weight ever for this title fight. Really looking forward to it, can't be arsed staying up for boxing these days so it'll ne nice to watch a big fight live again at a UK friendly time.

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #67541 on: September 24, 2021, 09:16:05 am »

He's a tit. As bitter as he in terms of being a blue I always wanted him to do well but fucking hell, he even made that hard to do at times! When he retired he preached that he was going to live the quiet life and you wouldn't be seeing him any more. He's on every boxing show it seems, he's had a book out, he's doing a podcast thing now, he's glued to Eddie Hearn's side :D

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67542 on: September 24, 2021, 09:31:26 am »
Did Bellew land a punch of note in that fight? He won rounds on pressure but was already shegged by the halfway point and was brutally stopped.

Can see that angle for sure - do you think if the pressure was applied from a bigger guy like joshua that it might have more of an affect. For all Bellew's 'bomber' talk i never thought he was as bigger puncher as he thought he was.
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #67543 on: September 24, 2021, 02:00:58 pm »
Usyk - 15 stone 8
AJ - 17 stone 1

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67544 on: September 24, 2021, 02:01:19 pm »
AJ 17st 1. Usyk 15st 7. Thought AJ would be even lighter to be honest the way he looks.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67545 on: September 24, 2021, 02:09:20 pm »
Listening to fight disciples and they have talked me into an Usyk win.

Think AJ will try and outbox Usyk which he won't be able to do. Then think he may panic as the rounds go on and may get desperate.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67546 on: September 24, 2021, 02:11:38 pm »
AJ 17st 1. Usyk 15st 7. Thought AJ would be even lighter to be honest the way he looks.
He has been saying all week that he is surprised by peoples comments that he is looking lighter.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67547 on: September 24, 2021, 02:15:31 pm »
AJ will fight between 17-18 Stones for the rest of his career. He's found out anything above 18 and he get's too bloated for his physique and slower.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67548 on: September 24, 2021, 02:17:06 pm »
Listening to fight disciples and they have talked me into an Usyk win.

Think AJ will try and outbox Usyk which he won't be able to do. Then think he may panic as the rounds go on and may get desperate.

All AJ has to do is connect and even a desperate man can land a KO punch.  Usyk as good as he is has never felt a proper Heavyweight's power and AJ is the best in that category. Not talking about one punch KO power lads we know that's Wilder.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67549 on: September 24, 2021, 02:26:01 pm »
All AJ has to do is connect and even a desperate man can land a KO punch.  Usyk as good as he is has never felt a proper Heavyweight's power and AJ is the best in that category. Not talking about one punch KO power lads we know that's Wilder.
I don't think AJ looks for KOs in the same way anymore. They have all tended to be late round KOs.

Just worry that AJ will tire on Saturday before he gets the chance.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67550 on: September 24, 2021, 02:41:29 pm »
We're talking about a sample of one fight which was the Ruiz rematch. I don't think we can look at AJ now and say he's not going to look for KO now. He will as diffrent fights and fighters needs diffrent performances. Against Povetkin I didn't think he fought the way he did against Ruiz in Saudi.

Offline Jayo10

• Kopite
« Reply #67551 on: September 24, 2021, 02:58:44 pm »
Usyk by KO. Expect AJ to visit the canvass a couple of times.

He will take AJ's power when it lands, he will move Joshua around the ring like nobody ever has. This is a guy who knows how to win. I think the British boxing public are so used to the likes of washed up Povetkin, Pulev etc... being billed as dangerous that they are conditioned to think its easy work for Joshua (after the fact).

Usyk is the real deal, forget about cruiserweight, the guy has whiskers, he is a heavyweight not, a HW with a brain and skills. He was asked a while back, why he wanted to face AJ, he simply said he knows how to beat him, no bullsh*t trying to sell it. Just stating his belief. Undefeated, rarely beaten in the amateurs either, he is coming to win, not for the payday.

AJ has size, but Usyk has the ability to adapt during a fight depending on what is happening, as someone else mentioned AJ can adapt between fights rather than during.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67552 on: September 24, 2021, 03:18:52 pm »
Dereck Fuckin' Chisora troubled him and he's a level or two below AJ for fucks sakes. Usyk as great as he is isn't made for the Super Heavies of this era that are good.   I'm sure he will beat the rest though.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67553 on: September 24, 2021, 03:24:15 pm »
He has been saying all week that he is surprised by peoples comments that he is looking lighter.

March 2021                                                                     September 2021

Yeah I listened to Fight Disciples podcast as well, tend to agree with them Usyk will be tough to overcome.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #67554 on: September 24, 2021, 03:25:39 pm »
Dereck Fuckin' Chisora troubled him and he's a level or two below AJ for fucks sakes. Usyk as great as he is isn't made for the Super Heavies of this era that are good.   I'm sure he will beat the rest though.
I don't know a huge amount about boxing, as much as I enjoy it, but when I've seen Usyk he looks extremely capable fighter, but as Samie says, I'd be shocked to see him toying with AJ in the way the previous post suggests - it's hard to look at that size disparity and say he'll move him around the ring at will - Joshua is huge and has undeniable power, it's fallacy to suggest Usyk won't be extremely guarded and wary of the threat of Joshua's power. He's never faced someone close to Joshua's size. Witherspoon is three inches shorter, over a stone lighter and no good to begin with, Chisora 4 inches smaller than Joshua and a brawler as opposed to a fighter.

I actually anticipate Usyk having to do the more moving of the two.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 03:28:02 pm by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67555 on: September 24, 2021, 03:44:26 pm »
Chisora troubled him for 2-3 rounds and put everything into them. After those rounds he had no trouble with him.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67556 on: September 24, 2021, 03:48:19 pm »
I know mate but a if a washed out Chisora can do that then if AJ has anything about him he should be able to do that to the smaller Usyk as well and for longer.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67557 on: September 24, 2021, 03:51:10 pm »
I know mate but a if a washed out Chisora can do that then if AJ has anything about him he should be able to do that to the smaller Usyk as well and for longer.
I agree he can, although in a 3 round fight I think Chisora would trouble anyone.

The issue for me is that AJ won't do that. He will try and outbox him and may end in trouble because of that when he inevitably tires towards the end.

I think AJ should do to Usyk what Chisora did and just bully him.

Offline Jayo10

• Kopite
« Reply #67558 on: September 24, 2021, 04:01:43 pm »
Usyk has always been hit in his fights, but has a canny knack of riding/rolling with these punches. Its for this reason im not as worried as others. If he was a clinical technician whose entire career was based off not getting hit, then i'd be worried.

I think we will see slick movement, blocking punches, riding/rolling those that do get through, and confusing the absolute hell out of AJ. Expect to see AJ looking bemused in the corner asking McCracken what he should do. He really needs to get on top of him, impose his physical dimensions and throw plenty of punches from range early. Hurt him early in order to take away his offence.

Say whatever you like, AJ is a vulnerable HW, you do not need to be a big puncher to hurt him, crisp accurate punches especially to the temple will hurt him. He is a hugely vulnerable fighter and its why his fights are good to watch. Usyk has serious skills, always thinking, no crisis for him to throw a gameplan out the window after a round or 2, he can adjust, he is methodical.

Does Hearn also promote Usyk by any chance? Do matchroom have options on Usyk? The fact Usyk went after the AJ fight so aggressively tells me they see something. I know he is number one with WBO, but he and his team fancied this one for a long time, he has the style to win impressively here.

15/2 are the odds on a Usyk KO, lumped £50 on it

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67559 on: September 24, 2021, 04:07:09 pm »

He’s 3 pounds heavier than he was for the Ruiz rematch.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.