Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 278985 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #1520 on: October 18, 2019, 12:42:38 pm »
Yep, very much like that, with red eyes and feet. It was in Center Parcs so quite a wooded area, never seen them in London. I have just walked past two crows gorging on a dead pigeon which is far more gritty and urban! One of the big fuckers actually flew off with the carcass in its mouth as I got closer.
I know a lot of people don't like Crows, but I do. They are like natures bin men as they clean up road kill etc.

I also really like a relative of the Crow; the Jackdaw. You see loads in the Lake District but not many at all down here. I've recently seen some on the school playing fields of Moor Lane, Crosby, but my mum doesn't get them by her house and my partner and I don't see them around the Sefton Park area either.

I was on holiday in Sardinia recently and the most common bird there was one I've never even seen in the UK even though they are here. That being the Hooded Crow. They were extremely common over in Sardinia.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1521 on: October 27, 2019, 03:14:47 pm »
There seems to be a lot of Long Tailed Tits around at the moment, saw quite a big group moving through the local park and their little calls can be heard quite frequently around and about. Also discovered a Song Thrush which nowadays seems quite a rarity.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1522 on: October 27, 2019, 04:14:07 pm »
I know a lot of people don't like Crows, but I do. They are like natures bin men as they clean up road kill etc.

I also really like a relative of the Crow; the Jackdaw. You see loads in the Lake District but not many at all down here. I've recently seen some on the school playing fields of Moor Lane, Crosby, but my mum doesn't get them by her house and my partner and I don't see them around the Sefton Park area either.

I was on holiday in Sardinia recently and the most common bird there was one I've never even seen in the UK even though they are here. That being the Hooded Crow. They were extremely common over in Sardinia.

Our hotel was full of crows, they are a real pest out there, scavenging about for food and destroying the local bird population, as they have no predators out there. There were loads with black heads and grey chest feathers, are these the hooded crows?

I got chatting to one of the bird keepers who was going about with a Harris Hawk, which they would fly to try to scare the crows away. They had to keep the hawk fed to a level to stop it taking a crow, they said it doesn't look good in front of the guests ;D

I love Birds of Prey and intend to get a hawk or an owl at some point, so getting to have a Desert Eagle Owl fly to my arm out there was a great experience.

I'm going to set some birds feeders up on the kitchen roof this week, the squirrel ate everything last year, so hopefully by putting them up there, the squirrel will leave them alone.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1523 on: October 27, 2019, 11:33:06 pm »
Our hotel was full of crows, they are a real pest out there, scavenging about for food and destroying the local bird population, as they have no predators out there. There were loads with black heads and grey chest feathers, are these the hooded crows?

I got chatting to one of the bird keepers who was going about with a Harris Hawk, which they would fly to try to scare the crows away. They had to keep the hawk fed to a level to stop it taking a crow, they said it doesn't look good in front of the guests ;D

I love Birds of Prey and intend to get a hawk or an owl at some point, so getting to have a Desert Eagle Owl fly to my arm out there was a great experience.

I'm going to set some birds feeders up on the kitchen roof this week, the squirrel ate everything last year, so hopefully by putting them up there, the squirrel will leave them alone.

Yes, you described the Hooded Crow there. I didn't know they had them out there too.

Sounds like a great experience you had with the Eagle Owl. One of my brothers is a proper twitcher and travels all over the country to spot a new bird. He recently went for a full day experience with raptors that was bought for him as a present. His favourite is the Peregrine Falcon. So much so, he got a tattoo of one.

If you do get a hawk or owl I hope you post pictures. I assume you still need a licence to keep them? The brother of an ex of mine used to keep a Kestrel and a Tawny Owl. My favourite has always been the Barn Owl though. There was a Tawny calling out the other night when I put the bin out late on at my mum's. I've heard it a few times recently but not sighted it.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1524 on: October 28, 2019, 09:06:47 am »
Yes, you described the Hooded Crow there. I didn't know they had them out there too.

Sounds like a great experience you had with the Eagle Owl. One of my brothers is a proper twitcher and travels all over the country to spot a new bird. He recently went for a full day experience with raptors that was bought for him as a present. His favourite is the Peregrine Falcon. So much so, he got a tattoo of one.

If you do get a hawk or owl I hope you post pictures. I assume you still need a licence to keep them? The brother of an ex of mine used to keep a Kestrel and a Tawny Owl. My favourite has always been the Barn Owl though. There was a Tawny calling out the other night when I put the bin out late on at my mum's. I've heard it a few times recently but not sighted it.

Cheers - I was really confused when I saw them at first. They either migrated there or came in with ships I would think.

They had rescue birds there, they had a black tailed kite that had been found in the desert with a broken wing, they nursed it back to health but it can't fly, two Eagle Owls, one was blind in one eye, a buzzard, and a small falcon I cant recall the name of. The saddest sight though was the Peregrine. They said it was basically blind, if you dropped a lure in front of it, it jumped on a diagonal and missed it by about two feet. It sat on a low perch, it was too scared to fly to the high perch they had set up. There was a huge vulture too. These were all in outside cages so you could see them. The birds they fly, such as the Owls, the Harris Hawk, the falcon, Kestrel and the Eagle they were training, all stay inside.

I'm not sure about a licence, but next year I'm going to do the course to learn to fly the birds and take care of them, then I'll look at getting a bird.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1525 on: October 31, 2019, 12:10:38 am »
I love them . I adore them even though they can break my heart.  I have an altar to a few female bird dieties in my home. They include Laxmi , Kali and Saraswati . My 5 year old daughter is on this shrine too.

All Power to the Divine Femine Energy.

Jaya Mata Shakti KI JAI !!!!

Shit. Wrong thread .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1526 on: October 31, 2019, 07:48:38 am »
I love them . I adore them even though they can break my heart.  I have an altar to a few female bird dieties in my home. They include Laxmi , Kali and Saraswati . My 5 year old daughter is on this shrine too.

All Power to the Divine Femine Energy.

Jaya Mata Shakti KI JAI !!!!

Shit. Wrong thread .

;D

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1527 on: October 31, 2019, 12:16:32 pm »
;D

I just couldn't resist. Was childish and immature but I just couldn't help myself.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1528 on: October 31, 2019, 01:25:42 pm »
I just couldn't resist. Was childish and immature but I just couldn't help myself.

I'd have done the same, but I'm too distracted by the zombie birds in work today  ;)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1529 on: November 9, 2019, 11:33:51 am »
Just seen a large flock of Fieldfares flying over.

It's that time of year again, they can't have long arrived from Scandinavia and points north east to overwinter here.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1530 on: November 9, 2019, 12:29:58 pm »
I'm getting a half day Falconry experience for Christmas. 3 hours learning about the birds and then taking Harris Hawks on a woodland walk.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1531 on: November 9, 2019, 12:52:19 pm »
I'm getting a half day Falconry experience for Christmas. 3 hours learning about the birds and then taking Harris Hawks on a woodland walk.

I did a falconry course in Northwich once, one of the best experiences of my life being that close to the birds. I will never forget the last one an absolutely huge bird it was. They told us, don't worry about her she doesn't tend to stay on your arm that long! Well of course I come to my turn and then she proceeds to go to sleep on my arm, she was so bloody heavy that my arm almost gave way and then she took the hint. But it was a great experience. You will love it.  :D

Just seen a large flock of Fieldfares flying over.

It's that time of year again, they can't have long arrived from Scandinavia and points north east to overwinter here.

Love Fieldfares and Redwings a sure sign Winter has arrived.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2019, 01:27:14 pm by jillc »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1532 on: November 9, 2019, 01:57:16 pm »
I did a falconry course in Northwich once, one of the best experiences of my life being that close to the birds. I will never forget the last one an absolutely huge bird it was. They told us, don't worry about her she doesn't tend to stay on your arm that long! Well of course I come to my turn and then she proceeds to go to sleep on my arm, she was so bloody heavy that my arm almost gave way and then she took the hint. But it was a great experience. You will love it.  :D

I read that as Norwich and got very excited about it being the owl sanctuary Alan Partridge visited.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1533 on: November 9, 2019, 02:06:26 pm »

Lol, typical that the bird did the total opposite of what they said it would do ;D

I'm seriously looking at getting a Hawk at some point, which is why I asked for this as a present. It's in Knutsford this one.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1534 on: November 9, 2019, 02:27:12 pm »
Lol, typical that the bird did the total opposite of what they said it would do ;D

I'm seriously looking at getting a Hawk at some point, which is why I asked for this as a present. It's in Knutsford this one.

Is that in Tatton Park Rob?

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1535 on: November 9, 2019, 02:30:19 pm »

Sounds brilliant. I look forward to hearing all about that.

This little guy approves too -

;D

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1536 on: November 9, 2019, 02:42:01 pm »
Is that in Tatton Park Rob?

Gauntlet Birds of Prey, its just around the corner from Tatton Park.  I've just seen a full day experience where you fly an Eagle, dropped a subtle hint to the missus  :D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1537 on: November 9, 2019, 03:09:23 pm »
I read that as Norwich and got very excited about it being the owl sanctuary Alan Partridge visited.

Geography not your expert subject, hey!  ;)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1538 on: November 9, 2019, 03:18:07 pm »

Getting a Hawk of your own would be awesome. We went to a country show at Whaley Bridge not so long ago and there was a wonderful Bird of Prey display. It was a really windy day, so the birds were taking a hammering in the air. But you really got to see their incredible acceleration and speed, they kept coming really low over the crowd and we were having to take evasive action! But you see the full ability of control and power these birds possess to their maximum.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1539 on: November 9, 2019, 03:56:50 pm »
Getting a Hawk of your own would be awesome. We went to a country show at Whaley Bridge not so long ago and there was a wonderful Bird of Prey display. It was a really windy day, so the birds were taking a hammering in the air. But you really got to see their incredible acceleration and speed, they kept coming really low over the crowd and we were having to take evasive action! But you see the full ability of control and power these birds possess to their maximum.

It is something I wish I had done years ago.

I've had an Eagle and a Falcon on my arm and had a desert eagle owl fly to my arm, so really looking forward to doing this.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #1540 on: November 9, 2019, 05:28:24 pm »
Done a full day experience down in Sussex couple of years ago at a place called Herstmonceux Castle. Fantastic day. The guy in charge takes you out walking through the woods with many different birds. Harris Hawk, Kites, Barn owl and a Vulture the ones I remember. You have them on your own glove and basically they fly off and come back on the trainers call. He tried to scare some rabbits out of shrub for the hawk to catch but couldn’t disturb any.

The owl would do a short flight and come and land on your shoulder or head.

The pair of kites would soar up till they were just a dot in the sky then come swooping down to take a morsel of chicken off your glove. Amazing day. Something I’d always wanted to do since being fascinated by kestrels as a kid in north Liverpool.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1541 on: November 9, 2019, 05:39:27 pm »
^

Kestrels hunting in the farmers fields we played in next to Tower Hill was what got me into birds of prey.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1542 on: November 24, 2019, 11:16:18 pm »
Witnessed the most amazing sight of pied wagtails going to roost this evening.

Was at the hospital and as dusk approached hundreds of the birds were congregating along the edge of the roof then they started to fly downwards into the ground vegetation for the night.

What a fabulous sight and how clever of them to find an area secure from ground predators due to no access in or out.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1543 on: December 11, 2019, 08:27:33 pm »
Went to put something in the bin this morning, something on next doors shed roof caught my attention, beautiful Heron stood there, obviously after next door but ones koi.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1544 on: December 12, 2019, 12:58:16 am »
Anyone heard about the three hundred Starlings which are said to have fallen out of the sky? Reports that hundreds of birds have been found dead along the road in Anglesey. There are rumours that it has happened before in the same place.  :o

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1545 on: December 12, 2019, 01:32:00 am »
Anyone heard about the three hundred Starlings which are said to have fallen out of the sky? Reports that hundreds of birds have been found dead along the road in Anglesey. There are rumours that it has happened before in the same place.  :o
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mystery-anglesey-up-300-dead-17399520

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1546 on: December 12, 2019, 01:50:11 am »
Yes, it was on the Echo website tonight. It's pretty strange, but has happened elsewhere too in the past.

5G is getting the blame from the regulars in the comments section.  ::)

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1547 on: December 12, 2019, 06:57:55 am »

Fingermouses missus has the answer

Missus reckoned she saw 'a seagull having a heart attack' at the weekend [emoji23][emoji23]

Rest of the convo went something like this...

Me: "How do you know it was a heart attack?"

Missus: "it just dropped out the sky. It was either a heart attack or a brain tumour"

Me: "A brain tumour???"

Missus: "yeah - it happened suddenly...."

[emoji848]

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1548 on: December 12, 2019, 07:52:54 am »
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mystery-anglesey-up-300-dead-17399520

That's what I read originally.

Yes, it was on the Echo website tonight. It's pretty strange, but has happened elsewhere too in the past.

5G is getting the blame from the regulars in the comments section.  ::)

Someone else suggested a flash of lightning in another report for a possibility as well.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1549 on: December 12, 2019, 07:55:16 am »
Fingermouses missus has the answer

I got attacked by one on Bold Street, literally came swooping low and I had to put my head down. I'm guessing it had chicks somewhere maybe.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1550 on: December 12, 2019, 08:32:58 am »
I got attacked by one on Bold Street, literally came swooping low and I had to put my head down. I'm guessing it had chicks somewhere maybe.

Scary, they are huge when you get close to them. They do seem to be a very aggressive bird anyway

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1551 on: December 12, 2019, 09:08:53 pm »
Someone else suggested a flash of lightning in another report for a possibility as well.
I heard that they have a good idea what killed them now, but are just awaiting further test results on the birds before releasing the findings.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:10:36 pm by Spion Night, Holy Night »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1552 on: December 12, 2019, 09:22:19 pm »
I heard that they have a good idea what killed them now, but are just awaiting further test results on the birds before releasing the findings.

Yes, read that on one of the reports yesterday. Hopefully they can stop it from happening again, starling numbers are already down.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1553 on: December 22, 2019, 06:43:52 pm »
Has there been any news on why all those birds were killed? They made it sound as if they already knew.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1554 on: December 22, 2019, 07:58:59 pm »
Has there been any news on why all those birds were killed? They made it sound as if they already knew.
Preliminary findings state they died from trauma after hitting the ground. Although the exact reason why they hit the ground is still uncertain, one theory is that the murmuration were confused by sunlight reflecting off the wet road surface. This sometimes happens with swans, who land on wet roads because they think they are canals or rivers.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1555 on: December 22, 2019, 08:12:35 pm »
Preliminary findings state they died from trauma after hitting the ground. Although the exact reason why they hit the ground is still uncertain, one theory is that the murmuration were confused by sunlight reflecting off the wet road surface. This sometimes happens with swans, who land on wet roads because they think they are canals or rivers.

That is interesting someone else suggested something like lightning. I didn't realise the stuff about the swans either. Thanks for that.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1556 on: December 22, 2019, 10:23:04 pm »
That is interesting someone else suggested something like lightning. I didn't realise the stuff about the swans either. Thanks for that.
You're welcome.  :)

Swans have a habit of landing on wet motorways after mistaking them for waterways. I've seen videos of traffic police closing motorways then trying to get the swan to take off again. I read they sometimes land on solar panels after mistaking them for water too.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1557 on: December 22, 2019, 10:54:17 pm »
You're welcome.  :)

Swans have a habit of landing on wet motorways after mistaking them for waterways. I've seen videos of traffic police closing motorways then trying to get the swan to take off again. I read they sometimes land on solar panels after mistaking them for water too.

The technological part of the world must play havoc with nature. I know I've had birds flying into the window. We had these two young Thrushes who both flew into our back window and just lay on the ground completely knocked out for a few seconds. I had to stand guard over them as the neighbour's cat starting taking an interest in them!  :-[

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1558 on: December 22, 2019, 11:36:43 pm »
The technological part of the world must play havoc with nature. I know I've had birds flying into the window. We had these two young Thrushes who both flew into our back window and just lay on the ground completely knocked out for a few seconds. I had to stand guard over them as the neighbour's cat starting taking an interest in them!  :-[
I remember when I used to be a carer for a disabled guy. I was in his house one day and heard a thud on the patio doors but I couldn't see anyone. I goes out and on the patio was a beautiful little Goldcrest. I thought he was dead after hitting the glass. I picked him up and lay him on the bin lid to bury him later. I went back inside for a moment then went back out. He'd flew away. Must have knocked himself out but regained consciousness again. 😄

My mum has a large bird feeder in the garden so gets a lot of traffic from our feathered friends. Every so often I have to clean the greasy impression of a bird from the window after one has flew into it. It's usually pigeons that do it there. The buggers have started bathing in the pond en masse too, and when they've finished the pond looks like it has milk on the surface due to the oils in their feathers. They all stand on the Heron net so it dips down into the water so they can bathe. Clever things. 😂🐦🐥

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1559 on: December 30, 2019, 11:40:12 am »
From the Falcon Souq, in Qatar. Shite photies by me, but it'll never take away the sight of all these birds. 15-16 inch farmed peregrine over £50k and wild trained ones - guy reckons over a quarter of a million pounds.

May look a bit tight, though they are constantly let out to train/hunt so keep their eye in, so to speak. The peregrine in number 4 wouldn't take its eyes off me from walking in to the shop until I left, very eerie.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family