Poll

Are you in favour of Gay Adoption?

Yes
174 (75.7%)
No
56 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 228

Author Topic: Gay Adoption.  (Read 89609 times)

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Gay Adoption.
« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2010, 08:38:09 am »
This is exactly what I hate about misinformed bible-quoters.  Enforcing their beliefs and wills on others while disregarding the hypocrisies of the very writing they quote.

If you truly believe everything in Leviticus (where your quote is from), you must also find selfish to be an abomination.  And you need to sacrifice animals to make sure mothers are cleaned after giving birth to children.

I like your style. :fishslap not shellfishslap. Thats unnatural.

I'm liking this Refo-fella. Wanna adopt?

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #281 on: August 20, 2010, 08:39:49 am »
bible-quoters.
Haha, I've never even opened a bible or been to church.

Enforcing their beliefs and wills on others
Au contraire, I am not enforcing my belief on anyone. I have said it twice before and I'll say it again. I'm all for gay rights but I personally find it weird. What's so hard to understand about it. I am not calling for a ban on it. Those are my beliefs and it's funny you should accuse me of enforcing my beliefs on others when Refo and yourself are trying to enforce yours on me.

I cannot make it anymore clearer to you.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:10:36 am by Una cerveza, por favor »
C'est la vie.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #282 on: August 20, 2010, 08:47:05 am »
PS. Like so many Jews, I'm an atheist Una. And I'm only an Israelophile on these boards, lol. I should really get my crazy right wing  לכודנק likudnik friend on Rawk, he'd cause quite a stir. Probably get banned in a few minutes after calling everyone anti-semites and explaining that Israel should just "wait for a war, and move all the Arabs, simples", the daft c*nt, bless his heart, hope he doesn't get into politics, he's trying to do just that. Oh and he's a good, standards corrupted shirt buying red. People are complex.
I've made my final post on this topic because I do not wish to be branded a homophobe in addition to being a Palestine hater by the pseudo-liberal PC brigade.

I know what you mean about people being complex. I love holding up anti 'God hates Fags' signs when those idiots visit our Uni and I've gotten into fights with rednecks who have said some unkind things about Islam but if you just know me through RAWK you would imagine me as some kind of homophobic, Republican, muslim-hating redneck whose never stepped outside the bible belt. :P
C'est la vie.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: August 20, 2010, 08:55:09 am »
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: August 20, 2010, 08:57:28 am »
I've made my final post on this topic because I do not wish to be branded a homophobe in addition to being a Palestine hater by the pseudo-liberal PC brigade.

I know what you mean about people being complex. I love holding up anti 'God hates Fags' signs when those idiots visit our Uni and I've gotten into fights with rednecks who have said some unkind things about Islam but if you just know me through RAWK you would imagine me as some kind of homophobic, Republican, muslim-hating redneck whose never stepped outside the bible belt. :P

Au contraire. This is the first time I've disagreed with you as far as I can remember. But really we're arguing over semantics I think. I don't find it weird, but then I've been in contact with gay people since I was young, and I'm not exactly a 0 on the Kinsey scale myself.

As long as you accept that most people are weird, your pretty much OK in my book. But I don't think I'm enforcing my view on you, just arguing with you. Its ok if your a homophobe btw, I heard Mocha is a racist :P doesn't like the blacks (uniforms).

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: August 20, 2010, 08:58:03 am »

A hundred times yes, random internet creep!

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: August 20, 2010, 09:03:54 am »
A hundred times yes, random internet creep!
Aaaah, the cute nicknames we give each other.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: August 20, 2010, 09:08:25 am »
Aaaah, the cute nicknames we give each other.

yes love, now what do you want to name the baby?

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: August 20, 2010, 09:19:36 am »
yes love, now what do you want to name the baby?
If it's a Laotian boy (and I'm hoping it is): Pete Postlethwaite the second.
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: August 20, 2010, 09:26:14 am »
I was thinking Froley if its a guy, Bazooka if its a girl.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: August 20, 2010, 11:47:16 am »
now that this is settled there is the other gay adoption issue, should you be able to adopt gay kids?

;D

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #291 on: August 20, 2010, 01:17:53 pm »
Fuck no.

Won't somebody please think of the parents? Their friends will probably dissown them for their failure as parents. Everyone knows that you must have fucked up really badly to manage to turn your kid into a gayer.
Oh please, just because we don't agree with your views there's no reason to try and be funny about it. It's half and half between yes and no. Stop thinking your opinion is right.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #292 on: August 20, 2010, 01:19:52 pm »
Fuck no.

Won't somebody please think of the parents? Their friends will probably dissown them for their failure as parents. Everyone knows that you must have fucked up really badly to manage to turn your kid into a gayer.

If you are careful to keep the house free of showtunes and tasteful decor, no gayer should emerge. Simple.

Offline lauz

• Looking for a talented pastie smasher. Apply within.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: August 20, 2010, 02:34:51 pm »
Looking at this from a different prospective from everybody else on here, as in I'm giving up my unborn baby for adoption in a few weeks and I get to choose who adopts him, I'm not going to automatically say no to gay parents, because they're going to be better parents then I could, they want the baby they would provide it better stability then me I don't know what basis I will be choosing the future parents on but sexuality of them won't even be a matter of concern for me.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #294 on: August 20, 2010, 04:40:00 pm »
Maybe that's all you're interested in. I have droned on many times about muslims, scientologists, buddhists, evangelicals. To be fair, the catholics are giving great material right now, but the muslims are quality ore, too.

OK mate fair enough. Maybe i've not looked in the right threads.

Catholic thing?

No, I just think its terribly unfair on the child.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #295 on: August 20, 2010, 04:43:12 pm »
No, I just think its terribly unfair on the child.

Not to rehash the entire thread but I would much rather a child had to suffer the unfairness of having two loving parents who happen to be the same sex, than the unfairness of being abused and unloved in an institution or foster home.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #296 on: August 20, 2010, 04:45:40 pm »
Not to rehash the entire thread but I would much rather a child had to suffer the unfairness of having two loving parents who happen to be the same sex, than the unfairness of being abused and unloved in an institution or foster home.

Can gays not abuse?
JFT96 - YNWA

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #297 on: August 20, 2010, 04:47:11 pm »
Can gays not abuse?

Anyone can abuse, gay or straight. It's just that your chances of getting loved are much greater with people who want to adopt you, rather than people who are getting paid to supervise you.

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #298 on: August 20, 2010, 04:49:25 pm »
Anyone can abuse, gay or straight. It's just that your chances of getting loved are much greater with people who want to adopt you, rather than people who are getting paid to supervise you.

True but forgetting the parents for a second could you imagine the abuse and stick the poor kid would get at school? Their life could be fantastic at home in their little gay bubble but in the teenage real world it'd be hell.
JFT96 - YNWA

Online Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #299 on: August 20, 2010, 04:50:01 pm »
This is one of the weirdest questions ever to be asked on RAWK ? Gay Adoption - Get Real !!!  :-X

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #300 on: August 20, 2010, 05:01:09 pm »
True but forgetting the parents for a second could you imagine the abuse and stick the poor kid would get at school? Their life could be fantastic at home in their little gay bubble but in the teenage real world it'd be hell.

"Gay bubble"? Was your home life a "straight bubble"?

So you're effectively saying someone's chances of being raised in a loving environment should be decided by a bunch of teenage dickheads?

Being bullied at school can happen to anyone, for any reason. That Irish girl who got cyber bullied into killing herself in the US was bullied because the captain of the school team fancied her.

Take two kids who are put up for adoption aged 1.

Kid A gets two lesbians who teach him all they know, and read him stories, and scold him when he does something bold, and tell him not to stick soldiers into wall sockets, and teach him to cross roads and not to bully those weaker than him and so on. Standard parenting stuff.

Kid B gets no adoption and is shunted from foster home to institution for 15 years with no stable parental influence, nobody looking out for him and more importantly, nobody keeping him in line in a firm but caring way.

My best guess is that while Kid A might get bullied, Kid B will almost certainly be doing the bullying.

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #301 on: August 20, 2010, 05:02:17 pm »
I, personnally, only know one gay couple who are bringing up a child.  He is a well balanced young lad.  I dont see a problem with it myself.
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #302 on: August 20, 2010, 05:37:28 pm »
"Gay bubble"? Was your home life a "straight bubble"?

So you're effectively saying someone's chances of being raised in a loving environment should be decided by a bunch of teenage dickheads?

Being bullied at school can happen to anyone, for any reason. That Irish girl who got cyber bullied into killing herself in the US was bullied because the captain of the school team fancied her.

Take two kids who are put up for adoption aged 1.

Kid A gets two lesbians who teach him all they know, and read him stories, and scold him when he does something bold, and tell him not to stick soldiers into wall sockets, and teach him to cross roads and not to bully those weaker than him and so on. Standard parenting stuff.

Kid B gets no adoption and is shunted from foster home to institution for 15 years with no stable parental influence, nobody looking out for him and more importantly, nobody keeping him in line in a firm but caring way.

My best guess is that while Kid A might get bullied, Kid B will almost certainly be doing the bullying.

Yes mate, I feel that they are in a bubble. Its un-natural, but not wrong, for a child to be raised by a same sex couple.

As for the bullying thing, your right that anyone can be bullied but a kid with 2 dads/mums the bullying would be unbearable, and tbf it wouldn't stop when they finished school and they'd suffer snide remarks for years after.
JFT96 - YNWA

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: August 20, 2010, 05:45:57 pm »
Yes mate, I feel that they are in a bubble. Its un-natural, but not wrong, for a child to be raised by a same sex couple.

As for the bullying thing, your right that anyone can be bullied but a kid with 2 dads/mums the bullying would be unbearable, and tbf it wouldn't stop when they finished school and they'd suffer snide remarks for years after.

Bullying is almost never utterly unbearable, as in destroys someone's life. It almost always feels terrible, but has little or no bearing on someone's success coming out of school. Who your parents are has a much greater bearing on how you turn out.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #304 on: August 20, 2010, 05:51:27 pm »
What about letting the kid decide if he wants to be adopted by a gay couple or not?
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #305 on: August 20, 2010, 06:05:58 pm »
Looking at this from a different prospective from everybody else on here, as in I'm giving up my unborn baby for adoption in a few weeks and I get to choose who adopts him, I'm not going to automatically say no to gay parents, because they're going to be better parents then I could, they want the baby they would provide it better stability then me I don't know what basis I will be choosing the future parents on but sexuality of them won't even be a matter of concern for me.

You're giving up you're child for adoption?
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline lauz

• Looking for a talented pastie smasher. Apply within.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2010, 06:09:04 pm »
You're giving up you're child for adoption?

yes.

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2010, 06:12:08 pm »

A question to anyone who has used the "bullying" argument ... Would YOU bully a child who had gay adoptive parents?

Now? Of course not.

As 13 year-old boy? who knows.
JFT96 - YNWA

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2010, 06:13:25 pm »
should we make red haired people sterile so they can't make ginger kids that get bullied in school?  Same goes for fat people.  I don't see how 'because the kid will get bullied' became a legit argument.  Why is bullying such an issue in the UK?  Clearly, it is something that exists in the US, but I don't think many people think its that big of a deal.  Yes there is an occasional suicide, which is tragic, but I would guess suicide due to bullying is fairly low down the list, and there are countless other 'preventable' ways in which a young person could die.

But another comment, is that I find the entire idea of schooling to be completely unnatural.  Of course kids are going to develop terrible social skills if they are spending all their time learning how to socialize around a bunch of other kids that are the exact same age.  I think exposure to a wide range of different social settings would be much healthier.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2010, 06:14:53 pm »
it is the most ridiculous thing for gay men/women would do but then a couple of years ago it was ridiculous for the Earth to be round
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline jdecker

• Main Stander
« Reply #310 on: August 20, 2010, 06:15:36 pm »
What about letting the kid decide if he wants to be adopted by a gay couple or not?

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that, especially when you're talking about children who have been in foster care/institutions for a long time. I've worked in child advocacy organizations here in the US for several years now, and we see so many cases of children with really severe attachment problems (from being bounced from home to home, placement to placement), who will go into a placement and say yes, I want to be adopted by this family. Two months later, they start acting out, testing the parents, saying "I want to go back to foster care," "I preferred the group home to his," and in a lot of cases, the adoption disrupts, and the child is headed back to foster care. At this point, the child then goes to his/her social worker and/or the adoptive parents, often very upset, saying he/she wants to stay with the original family, don't send me back, I love you, I want to stay here. Some families give it another go. Two months later, the child is acting out again and demanding to be put back in the care of the state. :\

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2010, 06:17:07 pm »

Finn, if we could rely on them to make decisions like that, they wouldn't need adopting at all.

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2010, 06:19:10 pm »
yes.

You would give you're kid to a gay couple?

I can just about get my head around giving a kid up for adoption....but to consider selecting a couple of homosexuals as parents is a bit.....a bit much.

Obviously I have no idea about your circumstances etc and I'm sure you think you're doing the right thing for you.....making sure you're happy

Wouldnt you want the kid to have a 'normal' family life.....
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2010, 06:22:07 pm »
A question to anyone who has used the "bullying" argument ... Would YOU bully a child who had gay adoptive parents?

Now? Not a chance in hell. I'm a father of two and have grown up a lot.

But if he was in my class at school? I probably would of went out of my way to give him grief. Then again, I was an absolute c*nt of a teenager.

Like it or not....the kid will get bullied

@rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #314 on: August 20, 2010, 06:22:22 pm »
I would.
C'est la vie.

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: August 20, 2010, 06:22:58 pm »

@rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #316 on: August 20, 2010, 06:23:24 pm »
C'est la vie.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: August 20, 2010, 06:23:26 pm »

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #318 on: August 20, 2010, 06:23:49 pm »
I think it would be interesting to see how many of the people who find gay adoption abhorrent are actually parents themselves. I only say this because there is an awful lot more to raising a kid than being straight....

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2010, 06:26:23 pm »
Finn, if we could rely on them to make decisions like that, they wouldn't need adopting at all.

I just think he or she should have a say in the matter, but I guess it would rule out adopting babies and the really cute kids that most couples are looking for.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that, especially when you're talking about children who have been in foster care/institutions for a long time. I've worked in child advocacy organizations here in the US for several years now, and we see so many cases of children with really severe attachment problems (from being bounced from home to home, placement to placement), who will go into a placement and say yes, I want to be adopted by this family. Two months later, they start acting out, testing the parents, saying "I want to go back to foster care," "I preferred the group home to his," and in a lot of cases, the adoption disrupts, and the child is headed back to foster care. At this point, the child then goes to his/her social worker and/or the adoptive parents, often very upset, saying he/she wants to stay with the original family, don't send me back, I love you, I want to stay here. Some families give it another go. Two months later, the child is acting out again and demanding to be put back in the care of the state. :\

Thanks for sharing. It really must be an emotional situation to deal with, as I understand it there are more sad cases than happy ones.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.