Author Topic: Arthur Melo  (Read 119386 times)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Arthur Melo
« Reply #600 on: September 24, 2022, 11:32:45 pm »
Kabak did okay for us, we wouldn’t have got top 4 without him that season, Klopp obviously didn’t fancy Davies so can’t comment on him

His first 3 League games were 1-4 City, 1-3 Leicester, 0-2 Everton.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #601 on: September 25, 2022, 01:16:59 am »
His first 3 League games were 1-4 City, 1-3 Leicester, 0-2 Everton.
partnered with who tho? 1 defender does not make the result..Klopp's already told you that
JFT 96

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #602 on: September 25, 2022, 01:27:57 am »
partnered with who tho? 1 defender does not make the result..Klopp's already told you that

In the league.

18/19 we lost 1 game

19/20 we lost 3 games

21/22 we lost 2 games

With Kabak in the side we lost his first three League games.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: September 25, 2022, 01:36:52 am »
Has he scored yet or assisted? What a waste.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #604 on: September 25, 2022, 01:44:44 am »
In the league.

18/19 we lost 1 game

19/20 we lost 3 games

21/22 we lost 2 games

With Kabak in the side we lost his first three League games.

Seriously?

Yeah, we lost Kabak's first three league games, but we had already lost 4 league games (which is more losses than in all those seasons you mentioned) before he even made his debut including a glorious 0-1 against Burnley right before those three games with Kabak and a 2-7 mauling by Aston fucking Villa. Kabak wasn't a good player for us hence why we didn't sign him, but the point you're trying to make is just ridiculous.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #605 on: September 25, 2022, 01:55:35 am »
Seriously?

Yeah, we lost Kabak's first three league games, but we had already lost 4 league games (which is more losses than in all those seasons you mentioned) before he even made his debut including a glorious 0-1 against Burnley right before those three games with Kabak and a 2-7 mauling by Aston fucking Villa. Kabak wasn't a good player for us hence why we didn't sign him, but the point you're trying to make is just ridiculous.

You should have just shortened it to Kabak wasn't a good player for us.

Melo isn't a good player for us.

Maybe the notion should be that trying to sign panic buys at the last minute for a Klopp side isn't a good idea.

How many panic buys do City make ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: September 25, 2022, 02:11:55 am »
Kabak was and is not a great defender, and is a very poor footballer on the ball.

His passing made one appreciate (and not take for granted) that our defenders - including the ones that come through the academy and don't make it - are all in absolute worst case pretty good at passing.

Even though he wasn't here long, it sticks in the mind. There's obviously recency bias at play here, but I can't think of a player whose played at least 10 odd senior games in the last 20 years who was worse at it

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #607 on: September 25, 2022, 02:21:06 am »
Kabak was and is not a great defender, and is a very poor footballer on the ball.

His passing made one appreciate (and not take for granted) that our defenders - including the ones that come through the academy and don't make it - are all in absolute worst case pretty good at passing.

Even though he wasn't here long, it sticks in the mind. There's obviously recency bias at play here, but I can't think of a player whose played at least 10 odd senior games in the last 20 years who was worse at it

He was just a panic loan.

We need centre backs who are aerially dominant and who can play a high line.

We bought Konate who can do both.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: September 25, 2022, 02:35:05 am »
He was just a panic loan.

We need centre backs who are aerially dominant and who can play a high line.

We bought Konate who can do both.
Oh no doubt. Just find his identification and signing - with the benefit of hindsight, and knowing we somehow thanks to some miraculous performances and moments got 4th - to be a pretty interesting break from the norms we've grown used to from our defenders (even including our down period post Rafa).

Seems like he was just identified as someone who physically dominated under 21 age groups, where I remember he looked built like he looks now around age 16/17, but didn't really account for how that didn't scale up to adult football.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #609 on: September 25, 2022, 07:48:09 am »
You should have just shortened it to Kabak wasn't a good player for us.

Maybe the notion should be that trying to sign panic buys at the last minute for a Klopp side isn't a good idea.

How many panic buys do City make ?

We all know we messed up and it was badly planned.

Kabak was still better than doing nothing at the end of the window despite not being good. Ben Davies we needn't have bothered
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: September 25, 2022, 11:26:18 am »
We all know we messed up and it was badly planned.

Kabak was still better than doing nothing at the end of the window despite not being good. Ben Davies we needn't have bothered

at the time of us signing Kabak our objective was to just find a way to get back into the top 4, he okayed his part in that and without him we wouldn’t have got there, so he deserves credit, not good enough for us over the long term? yes but the loan served it’s purpose

i was hoping we wouldn’t have to repeat a panic loan situation but here we are again, i’ve never seen Melo play so won’t pretend to be an expert, if he’s not got an engine then yes he will struggle to adapt to Klopp football, running power and athletism is a given

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #611 on: September 25, 2022, 11:30:01 am »

I love a judgement of a player after ZERO minutes.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: September 25, 2022, 11:41:21 am »

13 minutes, that's more than enough for Al's trained eyes.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #613 on: September 25, 2022, 11:42:14 am »
at the time of us signing Kabak our objective was to just find a way to get back into the top 4, he okayed his part in that and without him we wouldn’t have got there, so he deserves credit, not good enough for us over the long term? yes but the loan served it’s purpose

i was hoping we wouldn’t have to repeat a panic loan situation but here we are again, i’ve never seen Melo play so won’t pretend to be an expert, if he’s not got an engine then yes he will struggle to adapt to Klopp football, running power and athletism is a given

We know we need more of this but we lack this in midfield anyway so in that sense he'll fit in. The challenge is adapting our tactics to account for what we lack in midfield.

We can get by with Thiago in there bossing things next to Fabinho. The challenge for Arthur will be being able to do a broadly similar job when we're without Thiago, if he can't then Keita or Jones will get those minutes. And if the injury crisis doesn't abate then he'll be needed as Kabak was so will still serve his purpose as a signing. The hope is he actually does do well which he might well do, or the fact he won't actually be needed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 11:45:32 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #614 on: September 25, 2022, 12:04:17 pm »
Arthur was obviously brought in as an unplanned buy. His role is to play if needed and not to displace Fabinho and Thiago. He may get some minutes if Thiago needs to come off or if we need to tweak our formation towards the end of a game (although Milner tends to come on to do that).

I hope he does make an impact but I suspect that we won't see a lot of him.

My concern is that we all could see that our midfield was the weakest part of the team yet we allowed injuries to force a panic buy. I hope that this is addressed next year if not in January.
#JFT97

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #615 on: September 25, 2022, 01:40:57 pm »

It isn't a judgement of the player, as I have stated over and over again. Melo is a quality player with great technical ability.

The question is whether Melo is a good fit for what we require from our midfield players. My opinion is that he isn't and for him to succeed we would need to tweak our system to accommodate him.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #616 on: September 25, 2022, 01:59:20 pm »
Kabak and Melo to Al are always going to be a symptom of FSG stiffing Klopp, so Kabak could have turned out like peak Desailly and Artur like peak Pirlo and he’s still going to slate them. It’s not worth wasting any time on, it’s just an offshoot of his favorite pastime.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #617 on: September 25, 2022, 03:43:15 pm »
It isn't a judgement of the player, as I have stated over and over again. Melo is a quality player with great technical ability.

The question is whether Melo is a good fit for what we require from our midfield players. My opinion is that he isn't and for him to succeed we would need to tweak our system to accommodate him.

An opinion is only as valid as the evidence used to validate it. I doubt anybody could claim, with authority, that he isn't a "good fit" after 13 minutes as a sub in a catastrophic game. Only a decent run of games can decide his ability to play or us, until then he is an enigma but one I am looking forward to seeing tested.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #618 on: September 25, 2022, 03:55:43 pm »
An opinion is only as valid as the evidence used to validate it. I doubt anybody could claim, with authority, that he isn't a "good fit" after 13 minutes as a sub in a catastrophic game. Only a decent run of games can decide his ability to play or us, until then he is an enigma but one I am looking forward to seeing tested.

Anybody666 has been happy to make such an inevident  claim...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #619 on: September 25, 2022, 05:09:29 pm »

Melo hasn't had an entire career of 13 minutes, though has he. We know what qualities he has and we know his limitations as well. So it isn't a snap judgement based on 13 minutes against Napoli.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #620 on: September 25, 2022, 05:10:38 pm »
Anybody666 has been happy to make such an inevident  claim...

Another poster who adds nothing to the debate but relishes taking cheap shots at other posters. Ever thought of playing the ball and not the man ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #621 on: September 25, 2022, 06:14:10 pm »

And yet :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline marmite sw

• Main Stander
« Reply #622 on: September 25, 2022, 08:52:52 pm »
i have a good feeling about him once he gets going i reckon he'll be good and by good i mean we will take up the offer of signing him ... he knows he has a big big opportunity here cant see him messing this up 
im autistic and have dyslexia as well as being born deaf so if thats a problem then its your problem ... awaits the gramma nazis ......lfc supporter since 1976 watch every game and get up to liverpool as often as i can......

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #623 on: September 26, 2022, 07:51:57 pm »
That is kind of the point though.

Elliott and Carvalho are 8's who add an extra attacking dimension. Teams drop off and suck us up the pitch, so we might as well have 8's who are more comfortable playing in the attacking third.

Melo whilst a great technical footballer is the opposite of that. Ideally, he is best employed as a deep lying playmaker in a double pivot. Think Alonso alongside Mascherano. Or as a Thiago replacement alongside Fabinho.

He simply hasn't got the game to play as a largely offensive 8.

Elliot Carvalho and Arthur were all signed for the academy. The former two learnt, Arthur will too.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: October 2, 2022, 11:50:41 pm »
Looks like he's finally ready to play as he's been getting a trim today.  ;D

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: October 4, 2022, 06:47:51 pm »
Hopefully he gets to play b4 January  ;D

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #626 on: October 4, 2022, 06:53:36 pm »
Hopefully he gets to play b4 January  ;D

What year though ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: October 4, 2022, 06:56:04 pm »
At this rate he’s destined for the Davies/Caulker treatment.. despite evidence that he’s actually a quality player. Speaks volumes when Milner gets a game before him at his age.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #628 on: October 4, 2022, 06:56:07 pm »
Keyser Söze

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #629 on: October 4, 2022, 07:19:26 pm »
Maybe his absence is covid related. Only speculating, but it’d be odd for him to not be in the squad considering how many subs you can name!

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: October 4, 2022, 07:33:45 pm »
Don't think his baptism has happened yet, thats my only explanation

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #631 on: October 4, 2022, 08:04:26 pm »
Looks like he's finally ready to play as he's been getting a trim today.  ;D

That's where I get my hair cut ;D Will have to keep my eye out...

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: October 4, 2022, 08:47:58 pm »
Surely he's injured/ ill?

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: October 4, 2022, 08:50:40 pm »

Not according to Pearce

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: October 4, 2022, 08:53:44 pm »

Someone suggested ill / covid ?

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: October 5, 2022, 09:36:06 am »
He was never going to be much of an option really. We scrambled around on deadline day to loan in an unfit Juventus flop.

That said, how bad must he be in training if he's not even a better option than this version of Milner.

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #636 on: October 5, 2022, 09:50:21 am »
Sounds like he's been training hard, turning down opportunities for breaks to work on fitness and showing up for under 21 games, suggests a good attitude at the very least. Expect he'll get an opportunity soon, at very least you'd expect him to play League Cup in a months time.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: October 5, 2022, 09:59:49 am »
Sounds like he's been training hard, turning down opportunities for breaks to work on fitness and showing up for under 21 games, suggests a good attitude at the very least. Expect he'll get an opportunity soon, at very least you'd expect him to play League Cup in a months time.

Exactly. He has not done a thing wrong since he got here, just he hasn't played many minutes for a long time and needs to get up to speed. Our team is not suffering because of this lad. If he gets his fitness up am sure in the League and FA cups he will get his chances.

- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: October 5, 2022, 10:17:28 am »
Can we change the thread title to Ben Davies.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: October 5, 2022, 07:02:23 pm »
A player is always on a bad footing when he's a symbol of a failed transfer window - which Arthur is (through no fault of his own).