Author Topic: Why did Peter Beardsley leave all those years ago? What would he be worth today?  (Read 39544 times)

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Spooky fuckin' doyle.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
John Barnes was my absolute hero growing up. But Beardsley wasn’t far behind. He was such a live wire, and one of the best dribblers I’ve seen. Different to Barnes who was all Grace and impossible to knock off the ball. Beardsley was just really direct and had a great shimmy, like no one else I’ve seen for us apart from maybe Benayoun.

Scored all types of goals too, as well as being a brilliant provider in the classic Liverpool number 7 mould.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
He ball control and dribbling were magnetic. He was so "twitchy" that he could wait for the defender to make the first move.

He scored a volley from a tight angle against a team in blue that baffles me. Anybody that has played football knows how difficult it us to do that with your weaker foot.

I think the commentary was "Beardsley! What a lovely goal! What a lovely goal!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
He ball control and dribbling were magnetic. He was so "twitchy" that he could wait for the defender to make the first move.

He scored a volley from a tight angle against a team in blue that baffles me. Anybody that has played football knows how difficult it us to do that with your weaker foot.

I think the commentary was "Beardsley! What a lovely goal! What a lovely goal!

Against Everton. My 4th ever game at Anfield. :D

“and he gets a kiss for it. From a man, incidentally wearing a blue striped shirt!”

About 3.10 in here: https://youtu.be/XeXtp2v9MTE
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:25:06 pm by Crosby Nick »

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
Against Everton. My 4th ever game at Anfield. :D

“and he gets a kiss for it. From a man, incidentally wearing a blue striped shirt!”
Really? Wow!

What was it like watching the '88 team live?

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
Really? Wow!

What was it like watching the '88 team live?

The best. Thankfully I went more than once that season, because the first game I went to I spent watching John Barnes for most of it.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Beardo was a great player!  As others have said, was a huge mistake when we sold him!
I'll never understand it
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
I'll never understand it

We paid £2.9m for Dean Saunders and sold Beardsley for £1m. I blame FSG.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Souness was such a disastrous manager for us - he sold so many quality Reds and replaced them with dross. Just had a massive ego and was really destructive. Some ex-players just aren't cut out for elite management
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Souness was such a disastrous manager for us - he sold so many quality Reds and replaced them with dross. Just had a massive ego and was really destructive. Some ex-players just aren't cut out for elite management

I wonder how it would have been for us if we'd just held on till the end of the season and appointed John Toshack instead.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite

Souness had to sell players to meet the 4 foreigners rule, problem was he replaced them with utter dross.

Saunders was unfathomable one, Souness signed him as a striker, but Souness played him on the left & not surprisingly Saunders struggled, then Souness sold Saunders to Villa a year later,  quite a few were sold to Villa.

Beardsley was another one, great player, but bizarrely sold to Everton, fair enough if Beardsley wanted to leave, but the clubs you don't sell to, are Everton & United, & Beardsley would never have gone back to Newcastle at that time, Newcastle were in the second division then & struggling big time
#Sausages

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
Spooky fuckin' doyle.

He'd be worth a 6-egg omelette topped with some lovely, lovely runny fuckin poachies and a couple of hard boilers on the side. Aah he's a good lad our Peter.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
He'd be worth a 6-egg omelette topped with some lovely, lovely runny fuckin poachies and a couple of hard boilers on the side. Aah he's a good lad our Peter.

They’d better be propah fookin’ runny.

Online William Regal

• Kopite
Peak Barnes and Beardsley together was as good as it gets, 2 outstanding creative players with a telepathic understanding

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
you have to ask where Pogba was in all this

Souness had to sell players to meet the 4 foreigners rule, problem was he replaced them with utter dross.

But with Beardsley being English it makes even less sense to sell him

We could have got another 6 years out of him
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 09:04:41 am by paulrazor »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Peak Barnes and Beardsley together was as good as it gets, 2 outstanding creative players with a telepathic understanding

The amount of goals we score that started with them playing a one-two to get Barnes away in space down the left.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
you have to ask where Pogba was in all this

When we signed Dean Saunders? He was ripping it up for Sheffield Wednesday. Surprised Souness didn't sign him as a Souness replacement.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
When we signed Dean Saunders? He was ripping it up for Sheffield Wednesday. Surprised Souness didn't sign him as a Souness replacement.

Can we not knock it?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
The amount of goals we score that started with them playing a one-two to get Barnes away in space down the left.
Barnes crossing for Aldridge to knock it in then

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
All joking aside, Beardsley is one of the great forgotten players not just of Liverpool but footbal in general. Barnes was just about that slight level above him, but Beardsley for 2-3 seasons was easily one of the best 11 players in the league. Also very unorthodox - he practically invented the no-backlift finish.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Barnes crossing for Aldridge to knock it in then

Or Ray Houghton away at Goodison in the cup.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Or Ray Houghton away at Goodison in the cup.
WHAT A TEAM

Offline rewood

• Kopite
He's at Carlisle Golf Club tomorrow. 

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
In today's market, a hundred million quid.

Brilliant footballer.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
I'm sorry but just not a good looking fella so has benefited from that with people over-compensating and overrating his actual footballing ability.

Absolutely no David Beckham in any way, shape or form.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

He was a total calamity!

I remember watching him tear up the great side we had - absolute self-destruction!

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I wonder how it would have been for us if we'd just held on till the end of the season and appointed John Toshack instead.

We probably wouldn't have sunk like a stone and had the heart ripped out of the squad.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
I'm sorry but just not a good looking fella so has benefited from that with people over-compensating and overrating his actual footballing ability.

Absolutely no David Beckham in any way, shape or form.

Not a single bite. I'm giving up this fishing lark for good.

Another bloody night with no dinner on the table  :(

Offline norecat

• Kopite
Peter Beardsley was a footballing genius. That front line of Barnes, Aldridge and Beardsley was astonishing. His sale was one of many screw ups by Souness which rendered us irrelevant to the title race.
I watched highlights of Newcastle 5 MU 0 from October 1996 and Beardsley at 35 was still producing magic. Souness had found his managerial level with Southampton. Fergie didn't knock us off our perch we simply imploded by employing Souness.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
Peter Beardsley was a footballing genius. That front line of Barnes, Aldridge and Beardsley was astonishing. His sale was one of many screw ups by Souness which rendered us irrelevant to the title race.
I watched highlights of Newcastle 5 MU 0 from October 1996 and Beardsley at 35 was still producing magic. Souness had found his managerial level with Southampton. Fergie didn't knock us off our perch we simply imploded by employing Souness.
Wasn't Beardsley in the England squad from Euro '96 as well? Just makes the decision to sell him even dafter. Souness honestly has to have the worst transfer record of all our managers just so many flops.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
He didn't make the final squad for 96 but was in contention

As I said above we easily could have got another 6 years out of him

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

He replaced a title winning squad, with a sack of shit.

In the top two of the worst LFC managers during my life time.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He replaced a title winning squad, with a sack of shit.

In the top two of the worst LFC managers during my life time.

I've sat here thinking that can't be fucking right,struggling to make the argument that it isn't though.

Saved by the fart sniffing Owl.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Judge Red

• Kopite
Remember the day he was sold. In an era before texts and internet on the go, i was on a day trip to Blackpool and there was a guy selling caricatures of players he’d drawn. Said id have Barnes, Beardsely & Rush to which he replies, “do you want Beardsley in his Everton kit?”  I was like wtf why would I want that? He then tells me he’s been sold. Gutted. Got Saunders instead. Never forgave myself or Souness for that the bastard. Found the caricatures in my loft the other day as it happens. Still not over it.  ;)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
it was difficult getting used to players leaving

start following in 1990, we didnt sell anyone that summer

then all of a sudden, Dalglish resigns, Hansen retires, then Speedie, Beardsley, Staunton, Gillespie gone, not long later McMahon was gone too

felt weird. Not helped by Barnes, Whelan and Rush always being injured that year