Author Topic: Re: Liverpool Women FC (home vs City - 30/03 - 12:30 ko) (*)  (Read 592587 times)

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool Ladies FC (*)
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2012, 08:11:51 pm »
Finished 1-0 to Bristol. But judging by the updates I followed on twitter it seems we got off lightly. Who knows what the score would have been if it weren't for Nicky Davies saving almost everything that came at her.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2012, 08:34:39 pm »
Interviews done, match report and pics to follow. Helen Griffiths would like us all to know her brother givemeguiness is a gimp ;D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2012, 12:19:59 am »
Looking forward to it, Jim! 8)
I promised the club secretary copy approval but I can post a few personal observations not based on any interview now...

Nicky Davies is fucking amazing, one of the best female goalies I have ever had the privilege of watching, seriously. She pulled off a double save today, Dudek-style, that left me literally breathless. Her penno save was ace too, bizarrely though managing to palm the ball in such a way that her raised foot followed through in the dive to kick it out of mid-air for a corner ;D

Helen Griffiths looks fast and strong. Can't wait to see her get her 1st team debut!

Vicky Jones is a great ambassador for the club - a strong defender, a tenacious football player, friendly and erudite in interview, extremely loyal to her team, with integrity and humility. It was a pleasure to speak with her. When I said who I was and what I was doing there, the first thing she said about RAWK was to mention that shanklyboy had been her coach some years ago and she paid tribute to him. Class act that. Ray, you coached a goodun there, your influence is clearly still present and you left an impression on her. :thumbup

The team today held 3rd-placed Bristol back for a very, very long time and even when they conceded, they kept pushing forward. Matt Beard sent Hannah Keryakoplis and Lillie Billson on afterwards to try and chase a goal - they never gave up and I would say that LFC had more chances/attacks on goal in the last 15 minutes than in the whole game.

Matt Beard also never shut up the whole match ;D - you can take the boy out of MIlwall......

I know this was only the first time I've seen LFC Ladies play, but I can honestly say (based on the many women's games I've watched over the years) that LFC Ladies have great potential. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform in the run-up to season's end, with a new manager, new impetus from the club and new faces coming in.

Gonna transcript the audio now and make an article, plus download the pics and hopefully get copy approval tomorrow.

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2012, 06:09:59 pm »
Interviews done, match report and pics to follow. Helen Griffiths would like us all to know her brother givemeguiness is a gimp ;D

Ha ha ha!!!
Jim just logged on. Spoke to Helen today, was at a wedding yesterday so
Couldn't go but believe they played better than the result suggested.
Just for the record I'm not a gimp  ;D
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline mugsy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2012, 03:00:46 pm »
I will have to take my daughter she is football mad.  She is top scorer in her class being the lads.  My son couldn't on the hand care less.  I was worried when she said she wanted to be a footballer but after seeing the girls in the Olympics there seems to be opportunities.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:02:28 pm by mugsy »
To all lurkers from other clubs "greetings!"

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2012, 03:14:04 pm »
That's a bit short notice, but I should be able to make it. Really hope this stadium becomes their permanent home too.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2012, 06:16:09 pm »
Finally got around to writing up my match report, hope it's okay. Just waiting for copy approval on the interviews before I post them.

Bristol Academy Ladies v Liverpool Ladies, Saturday August 18th, 2012

On a gorgeous summer Saturday afternoon, just a fortnight after a record audience at Wembley Stadium for the final of the Women’s Football in the Olympics, I was hoping to see how much enthusiasm had carried over into the restart of the WSL season.

Usually after a large event like the Olympics, you see interest peak, with only the truly dedicated giving it any longevity, so I guess I expected more people to be in attendance than the 287 given in the official attendance figure.

I’ve seen twice that attend a northern Swedish Damallsvenskan game in temperatures that would render an entire EPL fixture list abandoned.

This is one of the biggest challenges facing women’s football – how to increase attendance – because as one of the Bristol fans told me, “The current model is simply unsustainable. You can’t maintain top-flight football with 287 people attending.”

Unsurprisingly, they receive better attendance for higher-profile games, e.g.  approximately 1,200 attended the last Arsenal game, but it’s still very short of what is needed. More on this later.

Nevertheless, with the commitment of the audiences being called into question, the warm-up alone confirmed the commitment of the ladies on the pitch and we were soon treated to exciting, fast-paced and strong football. The game has its many critics, citing less skill or slower pace, yet I would challenge them to watch quite a few games before leaping to that conclusion.

Stood next to me, for the first half, behind the LFC goal, was a lad in his 30s who had been to see a men’s game nearby and heard of this match by word of mouth. It was his first women’s game and he was quickly engrossed. Possibly one more convert?

Bristol went into this match third from top, LFC second from bottom, and the difference in attacking class was apparent, as it pretty much all went in one direction in the first half, just one shot on goal that I can remember for the LFC team.

That said, the defensive prowess of Chappell and Jones was evident from the offset, not to mention the heroics of keeper Davies who pulled of several top-class saves that left me breathless. An early penalty appeal was turned down, as Chappell threw herself at what looked like a dead-cert goal on the right post. The right decision by the referee, who later on decided that a similar situation did warrant a penalty on that occasion. It looked to me like the ball hit both defender and attacker on the hands but the decision stood.

Nicky Davies though denied Bristol the lead by pulling off a fabulous save to her right, somewhat bizarrely ending up deflecting the ball on to her foot and kicking out for a corner! This was followed a few minutes’ later by a Dudek-esque double save that capped off a brilliant first half for the Liverpool keeper and defence. Bristol could have been four-nil up but Liverpool held strong.

SECOND HALF:

Liverpool came out of the blocks flying, with a much more positive, aggressive style in the first 10 minutes or so that generated much more movement upfront and more opportunity to attack the final third.

26 minutes into the 2nd half though the resistance finally broke. One of Bristol’s many penetrating attacks resulted in a blistering shot that Nicky saved brilliantly, only to see the parry land in front of the following Bristol forward, who buried it into the net.

A great goal nonetheless, but heart-breaking for the Liverpool team who held back one of the best in the league for 70 odd minutes, even threatening to score themselves.

The heads went down somewhat after this, understandably, but Matt Beard, who had been vocal all game, offering great support to the ladies, made three tactical changes in relatively quick succession.

These changes included the introduction of both Lillie Billson and Hannah Keryakoplis, who both had a pretty instant effect on the Liverpool attack.

The last fifteen minutes of the game saw Bristol hit the bar not once but twice and Liverpool’s attack picked up pace in response.

Liverpool never gave up, pushing forward time and again right up until the final whistle, just unable to really test the Bristol keeper, who in the end had a relatively quiet game.

It’s scant consolation to say that it could so easily have been five or six from Bristol but hopefully the ladies will take away the positives to be had from this game and will have a decent run-in to the close of this season. Liverpool deserved a point but it wasn’t to be. This time.....

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2012, 08:45:33 pm »
Now have copy approval for the interviews to be published:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Bristol Academy v Liverpool Ladies, Saturday August 18th, 2012.

INTERVIEW WITH NEW SIGNING HELEN GRIFFITHS:s (squad nr 21, right back)

At half-time I managed to grab a quick, impromptu interview with new signing Helen Griffiths, sister of RAWK’s very own “givemeguinness”.
“Helen, thanks for breaking into your warm-up for us, just wanted to grab a few words from you. Firstly, how does it feel to have signed for Liverpool Ladies?”
“It’s a matter of honour for me, it really is. I’ve been into football all my life, was brought up a red and all my family are reds, so it’s a great honour to sign for Liverpool. I’ve been playing for a long time with my old club, Mossley Hill, since  I was 12, starting out as a centre back. They turned me into a right back, which I enjoy a lot more, so to be signing for Liverpool at the age now of 21 is simply an honour. ”

“Congratulations then on signing. I understand you’ve played in a couple of friendlies briefly?”
“Yeah, I got about 20 minutes against Watford, which was a really close game and it was hard for us because we arrived quite late due to traffic, so the first half was tough but we had a really good second half and picked it up.”

“Did you see much of the ball yourself?”
“Not really no!”

“Well, in warm-up you look fast and raring to go. Do you reckon you’ll get your WSL debut today?”
“Hard to say, depends on what kind of changes Matt wants to make towards the end, whether defensive or attacking. We’ll see.”

“Thanks Helen, finally a quick word about your brother! He’s chuffed at your signing and was on RAWK about it – did you know he calls himself “givemeguinness”? What do say about that?”
Helen rolled her eyes and laughed, saying, “He’s a gimp.”

There you go, officially from a Liverpool FC player, givemeguinness is a gimp J

INTERVIEW WITH NEW MANAGER, MATT BEARD:

How closely aligned is Ladies FC to the philosophy, aims, ambitions and ethos of the men’s team.
“Exactly the same. Brendan will bring a different style of football just as I will. I like attacking football and pushing bodies forward to create problems for the oppositon.”
“I’ve inherited someone else’s squad and performance-wise there’s a lot of room for improvement but I’ve only had a week with them. I have worked a little on the shape I want and their application is superb. The way we defended, especially Nicky, I felt we deserved a point from today.”

It was encouraging to see how much you pushed them forward all the way to the final whistle today, I think there were more attacks in the last 15 mins than in the whole game.
“Yeah, we were chasing the game at that point, you have to, and one of the things I try to get them to do when they have possession is to make the pitch as big as possible and build attacks.”

“We rode our luck a few times, but as I say I haven’t had much time with them, so I’ve had to adjust slightly how I like to play the game but the fitness levels for example looked a lot better today to be fair to them, they’ve worked really hard in training this week. I’m pleased with what I saw in the 90 minutes.”

How long do you think it will take you to reach the fitness levels you are looking for?

“If you’re fit, the passing improves and that becomes more important the longer the game goes. To be fair I doubt we’ll get there this season, maybe significant improvements by game 5 or 6 but by then the season’s finished but we’ll have made progress certainly.”

No relegation this season – thankfully! – so it’s an opportunity to build in preparation for the hard work next year. I’ve heard mention of a few new signings to come – you just signed Helen for example – and although you might not be able to name any names, what changes are you looking to make this year?

“I’m going to assess what we’ve got first and foremost. The players here have an opportunity but I’m not going lie, I’m an honest person, the squad needs revamping, so I’m perhaps looking at 8 or 9 players in the closed season.”

“What we need to do is challenge the top clubs. With the ambition we have here at this club there’s no reason why we should not be able to do that.”

Do you mean 8 or 9 new, additional players to boost  the current squad or to ‘recycle’?

“Mixture of both. Everything we have talked about in the team so far has gone well but the one thing I cannot change is the mindset of the players. Whatever’s gone before doesn’t matter, I need a mindset of confidence, no fear in play, expression of self on the ball, get into the habit of picking points up, to really compete.”

I noticed a couple of occasions in the 2nd half where we had the chance to touch and go but it needed commitment to go into situations where that touch can be gained. It was as if the player pulled back. Do you intend to instill more of a braveheart, die-hard approach?

“Definitely, of course. This week though we really worked hardest on defensive shape because first and foremost if you don’t concede you don’t lose games.”

Well, what a first half to prove that!

“Exactly. Even in the 2nd half. Look at the goal we conceded and the way we played. It came from a mistake and that was really disappointing for us given how hard we’d worked.“

“That’s been the story all season though, really, I’ve seen all the games now and many of the goals come from silly errors. We need to change that. That said there are lots of positives to take forward though and I’m looking forward to it.”

Me too, Matt, me too because one of things I’d like to try and do is to promote the ladies’ team as much as I can.
“Thanks for that!”

On that subject then, the final question I wanted to ask, and I’ll ask Vicky Jones the same thing, it’s a bit an “out there” question, but realistically, not talking genie-in-a-bottle, if you could change just one thing in the women’s game to make it better, what would it be?
Pause. Intense stare into the distance. “That’s a good question…….have I got time to think about it?”
Take as much time as you need!

“Well, in terms of improving the profile, the Olympics was a great thing and everyone’s trying to do positive things but it would be good if the media would take more of an interest in it, not so much for the players as individuals but for the actual game, to get more people interested in it.”

“Don’t know what else I can say really……the club itself is fantastic in the way they support us and the way they try to drive it forward. I wouldn’t have moved my family from London and quit my day job if I didn’t think this was the right job for me, and the ambition of the club is fantastic and I am confident that I can take this forward and we can challenge in the future.”

Matt Beard there, new manager of Liverpool Ladies FC, disappointed not to have taken a point away from his first game in charge but happy with the performance of the team overall. Let’s not forget that this was match away to a team third in the table and after the summer break.

INTERVIEW WITH CLUB CAPTAIN VICKY JONES (squad nr 3):

Vicky, first of all, what are your thoughts on the game today?
“I can speak on behalf of the whole team when I say we were extremely disappointed not to have taken a point from today. We battled hard, especially in the first half, we kept our shape well, we defended well, especially Nicky in goal, who pulled off a fantastic penalty save, she was fantastic all game….we’ve worked really hard the last few weeks and with a  new manager coming in I felt we deserved to take something away from this game.”

Lots of positives though to think about, Vicky, not least the defensive strength. Matt was talking about he sees things developing, changing, for the rest of this season and next. How do you see things developing?
“No doubt he’ll bring in some new things that we’re not used to and we’ll apply ourselves to that. Every single one of us is fighting for our place in this team but we all want to prove to Matt that we are capable of playing at this level and show him towards the end of this season that we are in his plans. We just have to take one game at a time at the moment.”

Okay, moving on from today’s game then, I just wanted to ask you some things about the women’s game in general. Having come from working in the Swedish set up, and the effect of the Olympics this year on the profile of the game notwithstanding, it’s clear there are big differences still in how Women’s Football is seen in the UK . What can be done to boost the profile?
“The Olympics was clearly very good for the game and to get 70k+ at Wembley proves to me that there is an audience and an appetite out there. Maybe today’s EPL start detracted today’s game with just a couple of hundred turning up and we might be a bit in competition with the men’s game. But we just need to raise the profile and get the message out there that the women’s game is around. I think overall it is improving, it will just take time.”

Okay, Vicky, the same carte-blance style question that I asked Matt. What one thing would you change in the women’s game to improve things?
“For the benefit of the women’s game, we need the audience, to get people out there to come and watch us. The Olympics has given us a fantastic opportunity to showcase the sport. If more people came to watch they would see how good the women’s game is.”

Pretty loud and clear message there, Vicky – let’s get people out there watching, with open minds, put their prejudices aside.
“That’s the thing – the Olympics showed that – 70k at Wembley and it wasn’t even an England or Team GB game. The audience is there.”

I heard one of the pundits saying that he had to keep reminding himself that he was watching women’s football. One way you could interpret that is, “It’s not always this good!” but on the other hand, it’s probably meant as a compliment. What do you think?
“Yeah, of course it’s a compliment! The audience is there and to make a comment like that is good. You get 40k+ at Anfield, you get 70k+ at Wembley, you have good games and bad games in both men’s and women’s football. Our game is affordable, people coming to watch it will enjoy it.”

Thanks so much there to Vicky Jones, captain of Liverpool Ladies FC. All the very best to you and the team for the rest of this season. We look forward to seeing how things develop from here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am very grateful to Carly Baldwin for putting me in touch with Colin Charlton the Club Secretary.
Colin was really helpful and was able to get me the above interviews and I thank him for that. Once again, Liverpool Ladies FC proves its willingness to engage with the fanbase and to cooperate fully with the aim of promoting the game to a new audience.

We should get behind them. They wear the same kit, have the same sponsor, are under the same overall management, have the same philosophy, ethos and ambition - they wear the same liver bird on their chests - they deserve the same support.

(On a personal level, no disrespect to Skem, but if Liverpool Ladies FC wants to get more people through the gates, I think the club has to be looking at a venue that is more easily accessible to more people, especially in the heart of the potential and actual fanbase – it’s almost an “If you build it, they will come!” thing…..but we’ll see what happens…..)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:47:43 pm by 24/7 »

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2012, 10:29:42 pm »
It would be great if one could catch the games on tv or online.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2012, 10:44:44 pm »
You should have seen the facilities at Bristol.....wow......it's all attached to the college there (WISE Campus) and it's just ace. Knocks the socks off anything I even saw in Sweden. The pitch was absolutely gorgeous, I could have played croquet on it, it was that good!

Facilities are indeed key. Image has a big role to play if we're going to boost the profile.....

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2012, 09:00:00 am »
Good work, sir! That was a great read.

I could pick out so many points to comment on. I've no idea where to start. The bit from Matt about wanting 8 or 9 players is perhaps the most interesting bit for me. That is quite the squad overhaul, but if I remember correctly, we haven't really made that many player additions since the WSL began, so 8 or 9 players would probably leave us where we would have been now if we had strengthened the team as soon as we joined the league.

It certainly sounds like there are interesting times ahead for the ladies. I just hope somebody has a plan to boost attendance figures across the whole league so that the WSL is around for long enough to see this new plan for LLFC start to pay off.

And a quick heads up - ESPN's WSL review show is on tonight at 7pm for anybody who wants to see some highlights of the last game against Bristol.

Offline givemekaliber

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2012, 07:35:58 pm »
Jim I've just PM'D you - brilliant report spk soon

Offline givemekaliber

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2012, 07:38:29 pm »
Only just noticed my avatar has changed - wonder who did that

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:25 pm »
Only just noticed my avatar has changed - wonder who did that
Avatar? Not me! Custom title though.....well.....

Offline givemekaliber

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:36 pm »
Avatar? Not me! Custom title though.....well.....

I do apologise, custom title. V v funny  ;)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2012, 08:15:46 pm »
And a quick heads up - ESPN's WSL review show is on tonight at 7pm for anybody who wants to see some highlights of the last game against Bristol.
Did you see me behind the goal? ;)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2012, 09:30:37 pm »
Pity that......but it'll take time for fitness levels and shape to arrive and make Matt's preferred attacking style pay off.....

Many people there, Rhi?

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2012, 10:55:24 pm »
I was there. Not many turned up but I don't think that's surprising given this was only announced two days ago. I think a fair few of the crowd were actually family too.

I wouldn't say the scoreline was very fair to us though; it was a pretty even game.
Their first goal was a bit of a soft one really. It came from a quick free kick, and we might have managed to keep it out if some weren't too busy arguing with the ref that it wasn't a foul. The second was a cheeky chip; there was nothing Davies could do about it.
Our penalty went over the crossbar. We had a few shots on goal but they were more speculative than clear cut opportunities.

I haven't seen a full game since May, and I can barely remember it so, I have nothing to compare tonight with. But there are definitely some positives. I'm sure we'll be fine with a little more time.

Oh, and Jen Chang was there. At least I think it was him anyway. If it wasn't, he has a twin brother who spent the evening watching from the bench.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:07:04 am by kellan »

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2012, 10:32:34 am »
18th/19th/20th August 2012

Bristol Academy Women    1:0    Liverpool Ladies    

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/frZiGObENYs?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/frZiGObENYs?fs=1</a>

Everton Ladies                  2:2    Arsenal Ladies
Doncaster Rovers Belles    0:1    Chelsea Ladies
Birmingham City Ladies     3:1    Lincoln Ladies        

Upcoming Fixtures:

25/08/2012 - Doncaster Rovers Belles    vs    Arsenal Ladies                   6pm - Keepmoat Stadium
26/08/2012 - Liverpool Ladies                vs    Lincoln Ladies                    2pm - Skelmersdale United - WN8 8EF               
27/08/2012 - Birmingham City Ladies     vs    Bristol Academy Women    7.30pm - Stratford Town Football Club (Live on ESPN)

Useful Links:
Liverpool Ladies - twitter, facebook
FAWSL - twitter, facebook, youtube
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:45:38 pm by kellan »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2012, 12:23:15 pm »
Superb stuff that, Kellan, thanks a million :wellin

(yes, that was me behind the goal with the shades and the red/white scarf :P )

Where do you get the highlights from, by the way? Are they on the WSL site or.....

Seeing Nicky's saves again, wow, I didn't really get a good view of that last minute reflex push up on to the bar, that was quality.

.......and one of the most common criticisms I have heard over the years of women's footie? "The keepers are shite!"

Sod off! Watch this and STFU :wave

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2012, 01:53:12 pm »
The highlights come from the WSL's official youtube page. I've just edited it onto the bottom of my post above. Meant to put it there originally but I guess I missed it off.

As far as I can tell it's the same stuff that goes out on ESPN's show.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2012, 08:03:27 am »
Ladies Just Edged Out by Lincoln.

Hannah Keryakoplis’ two superb goals were not enough to claim any share of the points, as the Reds let a 2-0 lead slip away, losing 3-2 at home to Lincoln Ladies.

The side started brightly in Matt Beard’s first home game in charge, with Keryakoplis heading inches wide from a corner five minutes in.

Lincoln had the chance to go ahead a few minutes later, but Remi Allen could only put her effort the wrong side of the post.

The first goal came 17 minutes into the first half, when Keryakoplis found herself with time on the far edge of the Lincoln area, and her chipped shot found its way into the net, soaring over the head of the advancing Nicola Hobbs in the Imps goal.

The Reds came close to doubling their lead minutes after the first, when a handball resulted in a free kick just outside the Lincoln box. Michelle Evans stepped up and her curling left footed effort beat the sprawling Hobbs, but soared just past the far corner.

Lincoln turned up the pressure but the Liverpool defence proved far too strong. A goal-line scramble ensued from a near post corner, but the combined efforts of Nicky Davies and her back four saw the ball cleared to safety.

After the break Beard’s side came out all guns blazing, and Emily Gielnik's header was denied only by the woodwork just 5 minutes after the restart.

Keryakoplis doubled her side's lead with her second goal. She found herself just inside the area, and after some trickery she beat the defender and fired into the top corner with a powerful right-footed strike.

Lincoln then clawed one back with Lucy Staniforth finishing after an impressive mazy run. Precious Hamilton levelled the scores just 6 minutes later, when her header beat Nicola Davies in the Liverpool goal.

The Liverpool backline faced a spell of pressure, but Davies kept true to recent form and pulled off a string of saves to keep the match tied.

However she could do nothing about Lincoln’s third, when Remi Allen had time to pick her spot and slot past the keeper on the 84th minute to give the visitors all three points.

Matt Beard expressed his disappointment with the final result; “After our second we had good shape and could have gone on and got a third. We had been working hard and when we were ahead I couldn’t see any other result than the win.

We showed character and still created chances even when we were 3-2 down, and defensive work we’ve done in training came to show in today’s game.”

He added that the game was a fair reflection of the Red's season, but insists the side are ready to regroup and build on the positives from the game ahead of Wednesdays derby clash against Everton.

Final Score Liverpool Ladies 2-3 Lincoln Ladies.

By Mitch Francis. x
« Last Edit: September 2, 2012, 09:31:57 am by kellan »

Offline givemekaliber

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2012, 10:32:42 am »
Mitch

Just read your report - brilliant stuff. I think from what I've heard from my sister that they are going to be a good side this season once Matt gets his side of playing across. I'm going to try and get the derby this week, you going?

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2012, 10:44:46 am »
Question...do the coaching staff of the ladies have any input from the men's Liverpool team? Also any help in terms of training sessions / matches with the male players? Or is it self-contained.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2012, 11:25:40 am »
25th/26th/27th August 2012

Liverpool Ladies                2:3    Lincoln Ladies   

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vnoN4dIc5uM?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vnoN4dIc5uM?fs=1</a>

Doncaster Rovers Belles    0:4   Arsenal Ladies                   highlights
Birmingham City Ladies     1:1    Bristol Academy Women    highlights

Upcoming Fixtures:

29/08/2012 - Liverpool Ladies               vs    Everton Ladies                                7.30pm - Skelmersdale United - WN8 8EF
30/08/2012 - Arsenal Ladies                  vs    Bristol Academy Women                  
30/08/2012 - Chelsea Ladies                 vs    Birmingham City Ladies                   
30/08/2012 - Doncaster Rovers Belles   vs    Lincoln Ladies                                
02/09/2012 - Everton Ladies                 vs    Doncaster Rovers Belles                 2pm - Arriva Stadium - Crosby L23 3AS*             
02/09/2012 - Lincoln Ladies                   vs    Birmingham City Ladies                  (Continental Cup)          
03/09/2012 - Bristol Academy Women   vs    Arsenal Ladies                                (Continental Cup)

*I doubt there are any blues lurking in here, but Everton home games are still local fixtures, and somebody might fancy going along to watch.

Useful Links:
« Last Edit: September 3, 2012, 04:12:45 pm by kellan »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2012, 11:28:24 am »
They seem to be a bit of a yo-yo club this Liverpool ladies team. Too good for the division below but, not quite good enough for this league.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2012, 09:30:46 pm »
FT - Liverpool Ladies 1 - 2 Everton Ladies

Twitter tells me that both Everton goals came in injury time at the end of the second half. I'm gutted for them. That's two games in a row now that they've lost when they should have won. The result against Lincoln was hard enough, but this one is just cruel.

On a more positive note, the attendance was 1568. Pretty decent turn out for a WSL game, and a Liverpool game especially.

Did anybody go?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2012, 09:54:13 pm »
I read that as early signs of Matt's stated preference for more attacking play beginning to bear fruit. It will take *TIME* for his style to take root. Then the ladies will be banging in goals like no tomorrow, you'll see.....they have the skill and the ability.....now they're getting the extra motivation and coaching input needed to make the step up from yo-yo team to top three contenders.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2012, 07:55:34 am »
Reds Slip to Derby Defeat

The Merseyside derby failed to disappoint as a Cheryl Foster spot-kick was cancelled out by two injury-time Everton goals, taking bragging rights back to the Blue half of the city.

The Reds again let a lead slide away late into the game, but the derby lived up to it's name and proved to be an entertaining spectacle none the least.

Both sides started the match with obvious signs of nerves, but the visitors had Nicola Davies in the Red’s goal fretting early on when a Fara Williams corner rebounded off the near post.

The two teams had soon settled when a clash of heads left Katie Brusell down holding her jaw, but in true derby day fashion she got back to her feet and soldiered on for her side.

Everton upped their search for a back-four splitting pass, but Liverpool’s defensive training paid off and their well-constructed, high line resulted in a busy day for the linesman, who was forced into flagging for offside on a number of occasions. 

Hannah Keryakoplis continued her recent good form, proving herself a tough task to handle for the Everton back line, twisting and turning her way past defenders, but failing to find the net.

Liverpool were awarded a penalty just before the break when Michelle Evan’s long range shot deflected off a Blue hand. Cheryl Foster stepped up and she kept her cool, firing to the right of Rachel Brown in the Everton goal, who even after guessing correctly failed to keep it out.

The second half resumed with Toni Duggan showing trickery in front of Davies’ goal, but the keeper was quick off her line and smothered all threats. Everton’s leading goal scorer was then replaced on the 50th minute for Gwen Harries.

Nicola Davies prevented the Blues equalising soon after, with a fantastic save, clawing Fara Williams’ curling effort away from the top corner, after a smart back heel from Jill Scott presented her with the shooting opportunity. The keeper was then hastily up again to parry the rebound out for a corner.

The second half saw Everton pile on the pressure in search of an equaliser, but captain Vicky Jones lead her side, and more specifically her back four to an extremely organised defensive display who found themselves unfortunate to succumb to defeat.

A late Everton free kick from Alex Greenwood proved no bother to Nicky Davies, as the low effort rebounded off the wall.

The fourth official showed 4 minutes of additional time, cueing Everton’s late goal-scoring surge.

Gwen Harries’ strike came first after a long throw in was flicked on, and she picked her spot conclusively at the back post.

Natasha Dowie then found herself one on one with Nicky Davies after a hopeful punt forward, but she retained her composure and her finely placed lob looped over the onrushing keeper into an empty net.

Official Attendance figures showed 1568 fans had made their way to Skelmersdale United watch the tie.

Final Score Liverpool Ladies 1-2 Everton Ladies

By Mitch Francis. liverpoolladiesfc.com

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2012, 07:55:52 am »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:05:28 am by kellan »

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2012, 12:40:43 pm »
I've just updated my last WSL round up post with the highlight videos which have just become available.

Also just read on twitter that the ladies reserve team have a game tonight against Runcorn Ladies.  Halton Stadium, Widnes. 7.30pm kick off. Free Entry.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 4, 2012, 07:38:54 pm »
29th August - 3rd September 2012

Liverpool Ladies          1:2          Everton Ladies   

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHerS8duJ0M?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HHerS8duJ0M?fs=1</a>

FAWSL
Arsenal Ladies                     1:1            Bristol Academy Women            highlights
Chelsea Ladies                    0:1            Birmingham City Ladies             highlights
Doncaster Rovers Belles      2:1            Lincoln Ladies                            highlights
Everton Ladies                    1:1            Doncaster Rovers Belles                                         

Continental Cup Semi-finals
Lincoln Ladies                      1:2            Birmingham City Ladies               
Bristol Academy Women      0:4            Arsenal Ladies                           highlights 

Upcoming Fixtures:

08/09/2012 - Doncaster Rovers Belles       vs    Bristol Academy Women                                
09/09/2012 - Liverpool Ladies                    vs    Birmingham City Ladies       2pm - Skelmersdale United - WN8 8EF
09/09/2012 - Arsenal Ladies                      vs    Lincoln Ladies                  
09/09/2012 - Everton Ladies                      vs    Chelsea Ladies                    2pm - Arriva Stadium - Crosby L23 3AS

Useful Links:

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: September 4, 2012, 07:42:24 pm »
August Goal of the Month

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RUgsGmt8_w?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_RUgsGmt8_w?fs=1</a>

Goal A:   Toni Duggan -               Doncaster v Everton
Goal B:   Chelsea Weston -        Birmingham v Lincoln
Goal C:   Jordan Nobbs -             Everton v Arsenal
Goal D:   Kim Little -                    Doncaster v Arsenal
Goal E:   Hannah Keryakoplis -   Liverpool v Lincoln

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #153 on: September 4, 2012, 07:45:07 pm »
Poor ladies. Why don't the club do anything about this?

I'm sorry, but I'm getting pissed off reading "ladies go down to...", "Ladies unfortunate against...", "Ladies slip to <random_name_here> defeat."(as if we ever win).
There is a total disregard for the Ladies-team from the club. No pride! I'm not being purposefully negative, I just cannot bare having to read all this time and again and not at least speak the truth.

The ladies are to be commended, but the club needs to sort it out!
« Last Edit: September 4, 2012, 07:47:44 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 4, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »
Poor ladies. Why don't the club do anything about this?
They are. New manager, new players, new structure, full time staff, investment, the lot. Read the whole thread again esp the interviews with Matt and Vicky ;)

What they need more than anything else right now is grass roots, local support, people to attend games. I would be at every game if I could get there :(

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #155 on: September 4, 2012, 08:42:03 pm »
They are. New manager, new players, new structure, full time staff, investment, the lot. Read the whole thread again esp the interviews with Matt and Vicky ;)

What they need more than anything else right now is grass roots, local support, people to attend games. I would be at every game if I could get there :(
Thanks mate. Is there any way to support the ladies if one cannot go to the games? What about purchasing a shirt? Do the proceeds go towards the ladies team?
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 4, 2012, 10:55:19 pm »
Thanks mate. Is there any way to support the ladies if one cannot go to the games? What about purchasing a shirt? Do the proceeds go towards the ladies team?
I'm pretty sure the proceeds would go to the club in general, and not direct to the ladies team. I suppose that's one disadvantage of them wearing the same gear as the men's teams do.

And as for supporting them if you can't get to the games - I'm afraid there isn't a great deal that you can do. Just keep doing what you're doing now. Take an interest, but more importantly, spread the word. You may not be able to go and watch them yourself, but somebody who's reading what you're nattering on about might just decide to go themselves. My posts in this thread might suggest otherwise, but I actually only make it to one or two games a season myself. I can't buy their tickets, but I can at least sit in this little corner of RAWK and keep everybody updated.

Also - the season is coming to an end now (the FAWSL is a summer league). The girls only have three games left, so it's a little late in the day to really jump on board this time around. Hopefully next season things will be a little bit more accessible across the whole league. And finger crossed that our on the pitch fortunes improve too.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 5, 2012, 01:01:13 am »
Just keep doing what you're doing now. Take an interest, but more importantly, spread the word.
That in itself might indeed be enough to inspire.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 8, 2012, 11:21:46 am »
Liverpool Ladies v Birmingham Ladies - Sunday 09/09/12
(penultimate home game of the season)

2pm kick off - Skelmersdale United - Getting to the ground

Adults: £4.50
Under 16s: free when accompanied by a paying adult
Unaccompanied children: £2
Family ticket: £8 (2 adults + 2 children)
Over 60s: £2

----------

QUANTRILL JOINS THE REDS

Liverpool Ladies are pleased to announce the signing of goalkeeper Sarah Quantrill.

Quantrill follows new manager Matt Beard from Chelsea where she distinguished herself with some excellent performances, most notably in the Blues' semi-final cup win over Arsenal earlier this year.

The 22-year-old goalkeeper started her career at Norwich City and then signed for Arsenal before joining Chelsea in January 2011.

Her career highlights to date include winning the 2009 FA Cup, a 2010 County Cup winners' medal, the Reserve League in 2010 and the 2009 Reserve League Cup with Arsenal.

Quantrill will be joining the team against Birmingham Ladies.

source

----------

I AM PLEASE WITH THE PROGRESS - MATT

We caught up with new Liverpool manager Matt Beard after three games in charge and with three more to go to avoid last place in the WSL.

How have things gone for you since you took over as Liverpool manager?

I'm pleased with the progress we're making, disappointed with the results because in all three games we were worth something out of it.

We've had lots of compliments from the opposing teams but at the end of the day, we don't want to be sitting bottom of the league and I'm realistic enough to know we need strengthening but we've got to stay positive and try to pick up as many points as we can.

Were you glad to be swiftly back in the hot seat after your exit from Chelsea?

I wasn't planning to stay out of the game for long, I've just passed my 'A' licence, which is a weight of my shoulders. I enjoyed my time at Chelsea but felt I'd taken the club as far as I could go and when I met Liverpool, they matched my ambition. I want to be challenging to win trophies and I think Liverpool are definitely going to be in a position to do that for the foreseeable future.

What are your targets for the rest of the campaign and next season?

We've got two tough games in Birmingham and Arsenal and no-one would expect us to get anything out of those but I do have a belief in this current group of players. We seem to be getting better, getting fitter, so realistically, we need to win the Donny game, there's no two ways about that and we need to try and pick up another point or two along the way.

What's this talk of Americans coming in next season?

At the moment, we're exploring our options with players coming in from abroad. What we want to try and do is start with the best players possible. We've got nothing set in stone, we have to get this season out of the way and assess the current squad, need to see where I feel we need to strengthen. But we do have options on players abroad and will also be talking to other players once their contracts are over.

source

----------

And I shall end with some updated squad photos.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 9, 2012, 05:09:36 pm »
Reds let early lead slide

Despite starting strongly and taking the lead early on, an injury to Captain Vicky Jones took its toll on the side, and the Reds found themselves conceding two quick goals in succession on two separate occasions.

A superb long range volley from Chloe Jones found itself finding the back of the Birmingham net via the crossbar to give her side the lead just four minutes in.

However Liverpool’s bright start was dampened when captain Vicky Jones had to be stretchered of following a collision with debutant goalkeeper Sarah Quantrill after a brave defensive clearance. An ambulance was called as a precaution and the skipper was taken to hospital.

Caroline Charlton came on in her place, and Samantha Chappell took over the armband.

The Reds’ resumed sharply after the 11-minute delay, with Michelle Evens forcing Marie Hourihan to tip round the post from her curling free-kick.

Kelly Jones had the chance to double Liverpool’s lead after some smart build up play from Chappell and Lillie Billson, but she fired her close-range effort just over.

Birmingham then shifted their play up a gear and found themselves in the lead within the space of 3 minutes , thanks to two from Rachel Williams. Her first was a composed finish into the bottom corner of Quantrill’s goal, and the second a well-placed header from a long cross in from Eniola Aluko.

Jodie Taylor had the chance to extend her side’s lead further after a save from Quantrill landed at her feet. However she could only put wide leaving the open goal gaping.

Hannah Keryakoplis generated herself some time on the edge of the box following a fantastically executed turn past a couple of defenders, but her long-ranged effort was saved by the City Stopper.

Liverpool had the first chance of the second half, when a through ball from Chappell found Vicky Jones. She was quickly closed down by the on-rushing Hourihan ,who squandered her effort. 

Birmingham City made the score 3-1 30 minutes from time when Jodie Taylor curled into top corner from the edge of the Liverpool box. Again they added another goal in quick succession when Aluko tapped in after some unconvincing play in the Liverpool area.

Rachel Williams secured the match ball as her own when she completed her hat-trick with a header on the 78th minute, making it five for the visitors.

Michelle Evans’ fantastic free-kicks were finally capitalised on late in the second half, when Kelly Jones  headed home from a long-range delivery, but the tie was too far gone to spark a late Liverpool comeback.

Final Score: Liverpool Ladies 2-5 Birmingham City Ladies.

By Mitch Francis - liverpoolladiesfc.com

I can't find any news on what happened to Vicky Jones, but I will update if I come across something.