FlashGordon
8 (24.2%)
Viva
9 (27.3%)
Trend
6 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: February 22, 2020, 04:33:17 pm

Author Topic: Semi-Finals, Mikey vs FlashGordon, Viva vs Trend  (Read 1662 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Semi-Finals, Mikey vs FlashGordon, Viva vs Trend
« on: February 21, 2020, 04:33:17 pm »
Who goes through to the final?

Please no tactical fouls  ;D

Mikey

FlashGordon

Viva Bobby

Trend

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Semi-Finals, Mikey vs FlashGordon, Viva vs Trend
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 04:41:12 pm »
Trend and Viva make your cases, can't choose between them
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 05:25:41 pm »
Trend and Viva make your cases, can't choose between them

Actually, I think Bobby's 4-5-1 might cause us a lot of problems on the counter.   I would be worried about our right side with overlapping runs by Stielike and Brietner fed by Deco.
Also, Rivera, Cruyff and Van Persie and their combination play, angled runs are a real problem for any team.  Their different skill sets poses a substantial pick your poison problem for my 3 CB's, even with outstanding wingbacks like we have in Schnellinger/Thuram.
I think the overall case to be made for Bobby is two fold:

1. Nice expression of a Dutch 4-3-3 formation, specific positioning to suit their strengths using German and Dutch players primarily with a few skill players who could play in any league in the world (Deco, Zubi) - at times it looks like a 4-2-4 and at others 4-3-3 (flexibility)
2. Johann Cruyff in a free role with talent all around him - makes everyone else better.

So, to get the to the finals, I would say we have a few "small" things to consider for team Trend. 

First, allow me to say that I am not familiar with his CB pairing specifics (other than a little name recognition) - never saw them play.  This does not mean much.  I do like our 3 strong CB's with very different leadership styles/skills/talent in the middle of defense pushing Albertini/Case into midfield pressure pockets from which to squeeze the opposition between them (rock) and our front three (a hard place) from which to counter. 

Second, I do like how our back 5 with wingbacks. They have the flexibility to control the defensive third of the pitch centrally and out wide -- especially with the doggedness of Case and Albertini covering centrally when Vogts or Ayala get pulled out.

Third, while I love Bobby's team shape - I like ours too.  The free reign that Bobby's top three have is similar to ours -- except both our teams want to attack different spaces - who has the most success in doing so, I cannot tell you.

Lastly, I am not sure I can make the specific case our team is better, blah blah blah ----> but I can say whomever gets to the final, I think has a great chance to win the whole kit and kaboodle.

Good luck Viva, outstanding team you got there mate.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:29:26 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 05:46:53 pm »
Yeah I'm stuck. I think this is the real final too, Defacto has ruined this entire draft by not rigging it like UEFA do.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 05:56:09 pm »
6 German internationals, four of them schooled at Bayern, with Kaltz and Babbel able to alternate on the right and Steilike and Breitner similarly on the left without losing that German organisation and determination to keep clean sheets. All conditioned to play important finals for club and Country and a rock solid base for the front 4. Rivera and Cruyff in tandem would be something special; Deco has merit and say what you like about Van Persie but he knows where the net is...and he would get plenty of opportunities to prove that.

4231 could become 433 easily whilst 343 with Steilike moving into the midfield as he did so well for Madrid gives the team such flexibility. Dutch magic, with a hint of Portuguese and Italian spice, grounded in German resilience makes my team hard to beat....and then there's Cruyff...

EDIT: ...Not forgetting Zubizarreta in goal...

Regarding  this match up , I've already stated how much I love trend's front 3 who are all favourites of mine from yesteryear so would hope my German rearguard could cope with them. Organised and resilient, they would need to be along with his two wing backs who I would need to force back.  I have Breitner and Babbel to do that leavig Didi to get amongst the midfield and Deco is not afraid to put his foot in. But my attack has real potential against trends back 3. i also stated in an earlier round that I was unsure abut Smithy in a 3. If there's a weakness there, my word, Van Persie, Rivera and especially Cruyff, have the tools to exploit it. For example, Tommy was part of our defence that was put to the sword 5-1 in 1966 by Cruyff's brilliant Ajax fledglings.

Hope this helps...
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 05:59:38 pm »
Actually, I think Bobby's 4-5-1 might cause us a lot of problems on the counter.   I would be worried about our right side with overlapping runs by Stielike and Brietner fed by Deco.
Also, Rivera, Cruyff and Van Persie and their combination play, angled runs are a real problem for any team.  Their different skill sets poses a substantial pick your poison problem for my 3 CB's, even with outstanding wingbacks like we have in Schnellinger/Thuram.
I think the overall case to be made for Bobby is two fold:

1. Nice expression of a Dutch 4-3-3 formation, specific positioning to suit their strengths using German and Dutch players primarily with a few skill players who could play in any league in the world (Deco, Zubi) - at times it looks like a 4-2-4 and at others 4-3-3 (flexibility)
2. Johann Cruyff in a free role with talent all around him - makes everyone else better.

So, to get the to the finals, I would say we have a few "small" things to consider for team Trend. 

First, allow me to say that I am not familiar with his CB pairing specifics (other than a little name recognition) - never saw them play.  This does not mean much.  I do like our 3 strong CB's with very different leadership styles/skills/talent in the middle of defense pushing Albertini/Case into midfield pressure pockets from which to squeeze the opposition between them (rock) and our front three (a hard place) from which to counter. 

Second, I do like how our back 5 with wingbacks. They have the flexibility to control the defensive third of the pitch centrally and out wide -- especially with the doggedness of Case and Albertini covering centrally when Vogts or Ayala get pulled out.

Third, while I love Bobby's team shape - I like ours too.  The free reign that Bobby's top three have is similar to ours -- except both our teams want to attack different spaces - who has the most success in doing so, I cannot tell you.

Lastly, I am not sure I can make the specific case our team is better, blah blah blah ----> but I can say whomever gets to the final, I think has a great chance to win the whole kit and kaboodle.

Good luck Viva, outstanding team you got there mate.

Very fair, mate. All the very best :wave
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 06:34:24 pm by vivabobbycurmudgeongraham »

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 06:46:13 pm »
Yeah I'm stuck. I think this is the real final too, Defacto has ruined this entire draft by not rigging it like UEFA do.

Should have rigged myself into the semis  >:( :D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 07:30:50 pm »
Regarding the other semi, flash has had a remarkable run thus far but I fear it is about to end against mikey's impressive team. He knocked out my favourite, BB, far to readily for my liking, thus deserves his place in the final

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 07:32:23 pm »
Regarding the other semi, flash has had a remarkable run thus far but I fear it is about to end against mikey's impressive team. He knocked out my favourite, BB, far to readily for my liking, thus deserves his place in the final

Flash has a good team, still bewildered how I lost but RAWK's magic continues  ;D

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 07:35:47 pm »
Flash has a good team, still bewildered how I lost but RAWK's magic continues  ;D

I've been bewildered during the last 3 drafts btw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 07:43:19 pm »
I've been bewildered during the last 3 drafts btw

Tactical fou.... voting  :D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 07:49:53 pm »

Very good team, I agree, as it had to be to beat yours. Both semi's are tight but  I make mikey slight favourite as it stands as I believe Rushy and KK, might just know their way around Nealy, Thommo and crazy horse. At the other end, that CB partnership is the best in the draft. It could only be bettered by adding my boy Schwartzenbeck who was The Kaisers sidekick for club and country for many years and  won a sackful of trophies together including 74 World Cup
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 07:54:14 pm by vivabobbycurmudgeongraham »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 08:02:24 pm »
Since I'm retired from drafting due to pro-nonce sentiment on RAWK, I'll tell you who I voted for without fearing repurcussions.

Flash - two very even teams, ended up coming down to loving Canizares and not really caring for Taffarel.

Trend - flipped a coin, no clue who to pick.

Lots of mancs around here, you fucks.

15 votes in one, 12 in the other. Brutal.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 09:17:55 pm »
Feel like it's slipping away from me to be honest. I was tempted to write up a reason why this shouldn't be the case but I'm off out to enjoy a few Guinness instead, seems like a better use of my time  ;D Guinness is good for you  ;)
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 09:52:43 pm »
Hey lads, as things stand now it looks like Viva and Mikey in the final.  Two very good teams in my estimation.

If I were to rank the teams, I would have had the semis

Viva v Betty
Hazell/DeFacto v Mikey

I think DeFacto was hard done by and my team a bit overrated with my CM's good but not great. 

I would have been lucky to make the final. In terms of how these teams fallout, my final would have been

Viva v Hazell or DeFacto *** even though Mikey's team is very good too.

In the end, I would want to see the write ups and individual matchups - we'll see tomorrow though.

Its been good fun lads, well out to all of you.  Surprised we have not heard from Robbie or Lonestar here -- hope you guys are doing well and not disaffected by the results.

My energy (most of the time) is with the drafting construction of team building - hope we all do more and keep learning about this beautiful game!

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:55:37 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 10:31:00 pm »
I think Trend's front line would get a fair bit of joy against Vivas back 4. I think it would turn in to a bit of a shooting contest between the attacks. Probably a 5+ goal game I'd say.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2020, 01:07:19 pm »
Viva & Mikey's teams have been among the best for a long while now, so it has played out okay in the end,  even though I would've thought other teams could've fancied their chances to the semis. I think mine & DeFacto's teams were among those who could've got there, VAR says it wasn't a 'clear & obvious error', and so it has played out.

Congrats Viva & Mikey.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 01:12:18 pm »
Viva & Mikey's teams have been among the best for a long while now, so it has played out okay in the end,  even though I would've thought other teams could've fancied their chances to the semis. I think mine & DeFacto's teams were among those who could've got there, VAR says it wasn't a 'clear & obvious error', and so it has played out.

Congrats Viva & Mikey.

Well said  :D

Mikey seems to be heading to a back to back draft final, having won the last one as well, can he defend his crown?  8)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 01:17:26 pm »

Congrats Viva & Mikey.

True PIM, sorry to leave you out if the above analysis (seems that I forgot all of the teams unfairly) - my aging forgetful mind.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 07:55:55 pm »
True PIM, sorry to leave you out if the above analysis (seems that I forgot all of the teams unfairly) - my aging forgetful mind.

Oh we had plenty of good teams here. I'll let you off with a handshake for now, but I'm preparing my gloves for the next draft  ;)

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 10:08:37 pm »

Congrats Viva & Mikey.

Thank you, mate.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 10:09:26 pm »
Well said  :D

Mikey seems to be heading to a back to back draft final, having won the last one as well, can he defend his crown?  8)

Cheers, de

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2020, 10:24:36 pm »
Hey lads, as things stand now it looks like Viva and Mikey in the final.  Two very good teams in my estimation.

If I were to rank the teams, I would have had the semis

Viva v Betty
Hazell/DeFacto v Mikey

I think DeFacto was hard done by and my team a bit overrated with my CM's good but not great. 

I would have been lucky to make the final. In terms of how these teams fallout, my final would have been

Viva v Hazell or DeFacto *** even though Mikey's team is very good too.

In the end, I would want to see the write ups and individual matchups - we'll see tomorrow though.

Its been good fun lads, well out to all of you.  Surprised we have not heard from Robbie or Lonestar here -- hope you guys are doing well and not disaffected by the results.

My energy (most of the time) is with the drafting construction of team building - hope we all do more and keep learning about this beautiful game!

Cheers

Unlucky my friend. Your generosity of spirit and bonhomie is a credit to you and is one of the main reasons I draft; for what is drafting if not to partake in good rivalry, good humour and good fun...I was going to include good drafting but that would have excluded Samie who is another fine reason to be involved  ;)

Good luck in the final, mikey. I hope it is played in good spirit like our first game... :-[

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2020, 10:29:27 pm »
Hey I draft, I draft real good.

Soon to be a 4x Draft Champion of Rawk and my wins have all come in footie drafts. 8)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2020, 11:37:39 pm »

Soon to be a 4x Draft Champion of Rawk and my wins have all come in footie drafts. 8)

I noticed Samie! Congrats on the finals in the other draft, although Tubby still has a good chance. 

If you get to the finals, maybe you will eventually get a vote from me.  :))))))
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2020, 11:38:29 pm »

Which are the four drafts?
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2020, 11:45:23 pm »
I've won 3 so far. The fourth one will be the Kick Ass draft being run by Titi at the moment.

Fuck knows the names of them mate. One of them was the Tautogram draft or something like that. ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 11:55:42 pm »
Congrats lads, final will be up tmrw

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2020, 11:59:08 pm »
I've won 3 so far. The fourth one will be the Kick Ass draft being run by Titi at the moment.

Fuck knows the names of them mate. One of them was the Tautogram draft or something like that. ;D

AKA the luck draft  ;D

The other one as I remember was when you drew Brazil in the Battle of the Nations draft. Not sure what the third one was.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2020, 12:09:11 am »
Fuck off! Luck draft my left arse cheek.  ;D

And hey isn't it apt that I someone who displays flair on these drafts was chosen by the football Gods and Pele to have Brazil?  ;D

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2020, 06:07:47 am »
Fuck off! Luck draft my left arse cheek.  ;D

And hey isn't it apt that I someone who displays flair on these drafts was chosen by the football Gods and Pele to have Brazil?  ;D

Ha ha ha. Wtf was that?