Author Topic: email scam?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
email scam?
« on: December 11, 2022, 09:24:58 pm »
Please merge this with another thread if there's one around I don't know of.

Seems to be a new email scam. A very convincing looking email said to be from Microsoft, warning about unusual activity/sign in from a location in Russia. Even though such emails are typically "no reply", when you select the "report" window it opens a reply window.

I've had two now, even though I reported the first one - be aware!
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: email scam?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 09:26:11 pm »
I thought this was a new episode of Maria Khumalo
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 03:54:23 am »
I thought this was a new episode of Maria Khumalo

:D
Me too

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 09:30:40 am »
Well it alarmed me enough to check my recent Hotmail activity. It's pretty scary to be honest, the number of attempts to access my account from all over the world. 

The actual successful attempts are even scarier - "We think this was you, you've used this network before (location my not be accurate)." It has the logins located in Edinburgh and Newcastle, and I'm pretty sure I was nowhere near either two days ago.  :butt

So either the IPs are scrambled at random during a legit login, or I have people quietly snooping on me. I updated my password so will see what happens.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 10:05:19 am »
If you recieve an email that looks like it's not from the sender (ie something like Official TSB Correspondance from gav@footybaps.com) then you can combat this by sending the information to the Government to investigate (In the UK)

report@phishing.gov.uk
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 12:05:45 pm »
If you recieve an email that looks like it's not from the sender (ie something like Official TSB Correspondance from gav@footybaps.com) then you can combat this by sending the information to the Government to investigate (In the UK)

report@phishing.gov.uk

That's what threw me momentarily. Hovering over the message sender usually reveals some kind of bullshit address like "quirky47856**1!@gmail.com" but this said "no-reply@microsoft.com". But when you click the "report user" button, it opened an email reply window - which you shouldn't have for a "do not reply" address.

Having it pop up in my spam folder was the clincher, but it was so good it almost got me.

Popcorn's Art

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 08:30:56 am »
Two scams I've had reported in recently which went a little bit above the usual phishing traps:

The first involves someone claiming to make a payment to you via Paypal (or I guess other payment platforms), they'll insist they've paid and urge you to check your spam folders, where you'll find some "rejection_paypal.com@gmail" or similar informing you that receiving payments is refused until you authorise it through their provided link.

The second was a "There has been suspicious activity with your FB account" one, the link on the email was legitimately a Facebook one, but it just went to a user profile made out to look like an official anti-fraud page which of course had links directing you off-site.

Even though such emails are typically "no reply", when you select the "report" window it opens a reply window.

I don't follow this - surely you can always reply to these, even when legitimate. You'll just get a bounceback most likely as the mailbox isn't monitored. My email client (which to be fair is aging) doesn't stop reply windows opening to no-reply messages.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 09:57:19 am »
Two scams I've had reported in recently which went a little bit above the usual phishing traps:

The first involves someone claiming to make a payment to you via Paypal (or I guess other payment platforms), they'll insist they've paid and urge you to check your spam folders, where you'll find some "rejection_paypal.com@gmail" or similar informing you that receiving payments is refused until you authorise it through their provided link.

The second was a "There has been suspicious activity with your FB account" one, the link on the email was legitimately a Facebook one, but it just went to a user profile made out to look like an official anti-fraud page which of course had links directing you off-site.

I don't follow this - surely you can always reply to these, even when legitimate. You'll just get a bounceback most likely as the mailbox isn't monitored. My email client (which to be fair is aging) doesn't stop reply windows opening to no-reply messages.

I've had a few Paypal ones (Usually saying I've paid a couple of grand for Bitcoin) that urge you to contact the people you bought off if this is an 'error'

The important thing is:

NEVER FUCKING CLICK ON ANY FUCKING THING IN THESE FUCKING EMAILS. DON'T REPLY TO THEM. DON'T GIVE ANY INFORMATION OUT. DON'T ENGAGE. JUST SEND THEM TO THE PHISHING SITE.

IF YOU MUST CHECK THAT ALL IS OK THEN OPEN A NEW BROWSER AND CHECK YOUR BANK DETAILS/PAYPAL ETC. SEPARATELY IN THE NORMAL WAY THAT YOU WOULD CHECK YOUR STUFF. DO NOT EVER FUCKING CLICK ANY LINKS EVER. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT SCRIPTS ARE RUNNING OR WHAT INFORMATION YOU ARE SENDING THEM.

BE AWARE. BE SAFE. DON'T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN. THESE INBRED c*nts ARE VERY, VERY CLEVER AND MASSIVE CONMEN. FUCK THEM.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 10:07:10 am »
I got a weird email from Amazon-offers yesterday. Just said watch out for online scammers then Hello followed by my name and nothing else.

There was also one doing the rounds the other week pretending to be from Freshbooks, which I believe is a legitimate small business accounting firm.
The email said thanks for taking out a subscription if you want to cancel log into your PayPal account.  Also had a missed call at the same time. Fucking bastards.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 03:35:59 pm »
The important thing is:

NEVER FUCKING CLICK ON ANY FUCKING THING IN THESE FUCKING EMAILS. DON'T REPLY TO THEM. DON'T GIVE ANY INFORMATION OUT. DON'T ENGAGE. JUST SEND THEM TO THE PHISHING SITE.

IF YOU MUST CHECK THAT ALL IS OK THEN OPEN A NEW BROWSER AND CHECK YOUR BANK DETAILS/PAYPAL ETC. SEPARATELY IN THE NORMAL WAY THAT YOU WOULD CHECK YOUR STUFF. DO NOT EVER FUCKING CLICK ANY LINKS EVER. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT SCRIPTS ARE RUNNING OR WHAT INFORMATION YOU ARE SENDING THEM.

BE AWARE. BE SAFE. DON'T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN. THESE INBRED c*nts ARE VERY, VERY CLEVER AND MASSIVE CONMEN. FUCK THEM.

This.

We have to do infosec refreshers all the time at work and our in-house security sends us phishing emails to keep us on our toes ;D If you're in any way suspicious, don't click anything or open attachments. Forward to the gov address or if it's saying it's from a particular business (like a bank or something) you can often forward to their own teams.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 09:58:40 pm »

You would think that clicking a "report" button would open a link that would take you to a website, but this just opened a reply window in an email that says "no reply".

Popcorn's Art

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 11:27:13 am »
I've had a few Paypal ones (Usually saying I've paid a couple of grand for Bitcoin) that urge you to contact the people you bought off if this is an 'error'

The important thing is:

100% this
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.