Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 127042 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #760 on: March 16, 2023, 02:32:33 pm »
Just phone them up and say you want to cancel because of the price increase. A lot of people on Reddit actually getting their bills reduced when calling to cancel

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: March 16, 2023, 05:46:44 pm »
Had a letter through the other day saying the bill was going up £15 next month (on top of reverting to a full price deal because of my contract being up). Would have gone from £55 for bigger TV package (most channels and BT Sport) and 250mb internet up to £105

Rang them last night, straight through to cancellations. Kept me at £55 for the next 18 months with no changes to my package and that's locked in for 18 months as well and won't get next years price increase. Definitely worth the 20 minutes on the phone, there isn't anyone out there who does internet better IMO

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: March 21, 2023, 12:39:53 pm »
Had a letter through the other day saying the bill was going up £15 next month (on top of reverting to a full price deal because of my contract being up). Would have gone from £55 for bigger TV package (most channels and BT Sport) and 250mb internet up to £105

Rang them last night, straight through to cancellations. Kept me at £55 for the next 18 months with no changes to my package and that's locked in for 18 months as well and won't get next years price increase. Definitely worth the 20 minutes on the phone, there isn't anyone out there who does internet better IMO
Might need to be 20 minutes x2, or even more. I find it really does come down to who you speak to on any given call. We usually end up having three or four when renewal comes around.

We called twice yesterday. The first to price up some alternative packages, just to see what they were offering. The second to commit to dropping our TV package entirely as we're already on the lowest one and just having the broadband off them. We were happy to come away with TV staying, the price increase being waived, and a free upgrade of our outdated TV box. Not paying any less, not really getting anything more, but staying as we already were will do until the summer when we're due for proper renewal.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: March 21, 2023, 03:06:37 pm »
The mother in law go a letter last week to say her bill is going up £21 in May, she is already paying £93 a month for broadband, tv, sky and bt sports. She phoned them up and they said she will stay on the same price until October.

I noticed on their website, new customers getting the same package she is on, only pay £65 a month. Is there anyway she can cancel and come back as a new customer?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: March 21, 2023, 03:25:06 pm »
Could sign up in someone else's name from the address? When I was arguing with them over broadband prices they told me it's 6 months to be considered a new customer.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: March 21, 2023, 03:39:33 pm »
She must be in contract if they’ve said she’ll stay on that price till October. She can just call again in October and ask to cancel and will be given a retentions offer.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #766 on: April 4, 2023, 07:33:09 am »
Wankers

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: April 4, 2023, 07:35:39 am »
Yeah seems to be down across the country

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #768 on: June 3, 2023, 04:32:47 pm »
Does anyone have any issues with the fast-forward and rewind functions when watching Sky Sports UHD recordings?

I occasionally encounter a problem whereby it won't let me FF/RW but instead seems to just have bookmarks in the recording that it skips too.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: June 3, 2023, 07:43:38 pm »
Nope not had any issue

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: June 3, 2023, 11:56:33 pm »
Does anyone have any issues with the fast-forward and rewind functions when watching Sky Sports UHD recordings?

I occasionally encounter a problem whereby it won't let me FF/RW but instead seems to just have bookmarks in the recording that it skips too.

How full is your HD ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #771 on: June 5, 2023, 03:54:59 pm »

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: June 18, 2023, 11:47:48 am »
Anybody got the V6 box? We got a new one a couple of months back, no problems until now. I don't personally use this thing, so don't know what normal and working looks like. I'm being asked to fix it. The problem as described to me: every time it's switched on of a morning, it does the welcome screen followed by the starting up screen, and on top of that it isn't automatically connecting to the hub any longer. The network in the house is otherwise fine, and once the box is manually connected to the hub it works as it should. Apparently this is all too much of an inconvenience to leave as it is and I simply must get on the phone to Virgin on behalf of the techophobes in the house.

Is the welcome/start up screen supposed to be there every time it's switched on? I can't be ringing Virgin to make a problem out of that if it isn't one  ;D

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: June 18, 2023, 02:58:04 pm »
Yeah, if it is switched off at the mains then the welcome screen comes up when switched back on. Can they just leave it on standby mode?

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: June 28, 2023, 10:42:16 am »

Late to this but we had exactly the same issue and not found a resolution.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #775 on: September 26, 2023, 01:29:42 pm »
just renewed my contract...got £4 a month of but have lost TNT sports as its not included in their top tier TV package...

3 x TIVO V6 boxes
Sky Sports & Cinema with sports in HD
Virgin TV Kids
Volt 1GB broadband
Netflix standard
Anytime chatter

and a new HUB (HUB5)

now costs £81 a month. They wanted another £18 for TNT sports...
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #776 on: September 26, 2023, 03:07:56 pm »
I phoned up and got tnt sports for £10 a month on a rolling contract for 18months. I do only have the basic package otherwise. I just want to watch our Europa games
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: October 25, 2023, 03:47:40 pm »
Has anyone else experienced this with Virgin:

I was on the 'oomph' package for broadband and TV which was 117 quid a month and included a free sim (which I've never used).

Virgin emailed 2 months ago to say they are now merging with 02 and that 25 quid of the total cost now goes to 02 but that I didn't need to do anything and they take care of it.

Last month I got an email from 02 saying I owed them 25 quid. I thought it was a scam email as it looked very unprofessional so I ignored. My usual payments to Virgin were going through via DD so thought nothing of it.

Another email yesterday from 02 saying I now owe 50 quid and they would disconnect my SIM.

Rang 02 who said I had not paid. I said I'd never had any email or letter or anything from them, had not set up any DD with them or anything as Virgin claimed to take care of all that.

Rang Virgin and they said they couldn't do anything as they can't get access to 02 accounts.

Absolute shit show.

After a lot of ringing I managed to cancel the 02 Sim deal which I never signed up for in the first place and pay the 50 quid that Virgin should have taken from me and given to 02 anyway.

Apparently this has happened to loads of people and credit scores gave been affected. Absolutey pathetic from Virgin as they've obviously fucked up the transaction and not set up DD to 02 for many so it's automatically defaulted to 'pay by check' to 02.

02 did not send any warning emails or anything so they assume you'll pay by cheque and if they don't get it they email for the outstanding money.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #778 on: November 15, 2023, 01:45:28 pm »
What's going on with TNT Sports & Virgin Media.

I recently agreed a new contract with VM for £50 for 250mb broadband & Maxit TV package including BT Sports but now gig an email saying I've got to pay an additional £18 per month for the privilege of watching TNT Sports.

Will they be contractually obliged to provide me with TNT Sports for the length of my existing contract or will I have to pay extra?

I'm confused on what my position is.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #779 on: November 15, 2023, 02:35:40 pm »
I haven't been asked to pay any extra with the switch to TNT.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #780 on: November 15, 2023, 03:03:17 pm »
I haven't been asked to pay any extra with the switch to TNT.

I spoke to someone else @ VM & they confirmed to me that I will still get TNT Sports as part of my current TV package for the length of my contract to Feb 2025.  Two different stories depending on who you speak to!!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #781 on: November 15, 2023, 03:13:43 pm »
I spoke to someone else @ VM & they confirmed to me that I will still get TNT Sports as part of my current TV package for the length of my contract to Feb 2025.  Two different stories depending on who you speak to!!

I can't imagine a rebrand would result in people having to pay extra, that's no way to promote yourself and would just get negative publicity.  I wonder if Virgin just chanced it with you to see if you'd pay extra.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #782 on: November 15, 2023, 04:05:16 pm »
when I renewed my contract in September I lost TNT sports and was told if I want it, it will be an extra £18 a month

(I previously had BT Sports included with Maxit or whatever Virgin's top-tier package was called)
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: November 15, 2023, 09:11:18 pm »
So I left these, absolute shower

Cost gone up, service repeatedly dropping out, broadband failing so often where I am

Gone with Sky that I never really wanted, but twice the product, much faster and more reliable, £30 per month cheaper
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: November 17, 2023, 08:41:45 am »
I haven't gone and checked but we seem to be being charged £18 extra. BUT I'm pretty sure I'm in an introductory 3 month period with TnT .  Liverpool being in the Europa makes this great value , even at £18!

--edit-- I've managed to log on to my account (Weirdly I can't do this with my normal browser) and it seems ok. I'm being charged £18, but then £8 is getting taken off as promotional discount.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 08:48:36 am by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: November 30, 2023, 04:40:51 pm »
I haven't gone and checked but we seem to be being charged £18 extra. BUT I'm pretty sure I'm in an introductory 3 month period with TnT .  Liverpool being in the Europa makes this great value , even at £18!

--edit-- I've managed to log on to my account (Weirdly I can't do this with my normal browser) and it seems ok. I'm being charged £18, but then £8 is getting taken off as promotional discount.

Been trying to chat online today but been super busy.  My contract ended in like July, and I hadn't noticed until my recordings kept getting deleted overnight, so rang them up to complain and book an engineer - and they mentioned it then.  Said that I could get my current plan (1Gig internet, Maxxit TV) for £90 a month, but that the new TV package since Sept does not include TNT Sports by default due to the different company now owning it (Discovery vs BT) and that would be £18.  Will try again tomorrow to see if they are less busy and do me a better deal, and if not will try the cancellations trick

Had a quick look at pricing the sky option - but seems like the max speed I can get is 60 MB which is nothing when I'm on 1GIG - I'd be ok going down to like 200 odd, but 60 is just a joke - and have had sky broadband in a previous house and it was 100 times worse than Virgin there.  Even then, for their "basic" TV, TNT Sports and the 61MBS it seems to come to about £70 - have seen a different bundle on Virgin which would be £62 a month for 350MBs and Sky Sports, so cheaper than the Sky deal with 5 times faster internet.  And TNT Sports is £18 a month extra on Virgin if I can't swing a discount - compared to £28 on Sky! 

Any advice about what sort of thing to say on the phone to get the best deals?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #786 on: November 30, 2023, 04:45:17 pm »

Every time I've just done the usual stuff and said I'm looking elsewhere and have been offered so and so, I've been a loyal customer for years, etc.  They've always been good with me when it's renewal time or they've tried to up my monthly payments.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: November 30, 2023, 04:54:05 pm »

It’s tougher than it used to be. The first person you get on live chat or on the phone does not have access to the best deals. You have to tell them you’re leaving and give your notice then normally within that cancellation period you’ll get a call from a 2nd tier of retentions offering a better deal if you’re a customer they want to keep.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: December 3, 2023, 07:57:27 pm »
I fear they'll probably let a few go to discourage routine haggling. Lack of competition let's them do this.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: December 5, 2023, 02:35:08 pm »
I fear they'll probably let a few go to discourage routine haggling. Lack of competition let's them do this.

I ended up ringing up and hitting 4 for the cancellation.  Guy on the line answered within seconds and was generally very helpful.  They do definitely care more about getting new customes, then retaining older ones, which is a little annoying - but still ended up going from paying £112 a month (due to the expiry of the deal I previously had signed up for early last year - previous to that, pre-inflation adustment, it was £61 a month as I was a new customer at the time) for 1 GIG downloads and TV (including the free BT Sports they used to offer) to £101 for the same but plus all the Sky Sports stuff. I was paying £36 for NowTV for Sports + HD boost anyway - so with this new deal it's £47 cheaper than what I've paid for the past few months, and only £4 more then when I had their promotion offer and the NowTV for Sky Sports (and now having to pay for TNT sports - but at a reduced rate).  Also, my connection is a bit dodgy in the back of the house where my home office is (currently I have a 40m long ethernet cable that goes all around the house to my back window, and then connects to my laptop wired) so they are sending some free WiFi pods to create a mesh network which will be useful.

Not sure if that was the retention dept, or someone pre-retention to screen, but still happy enough with the deal to not try haggling too much.  Having had a look on Sky, their best offer for new customers seems to be £88 for the 145 Mbps and TNT Sports - but that would be "streaming" across the internet service, and I don't actually live in an area where they provide that speed.  Going down to their 61MBps service, due to a special offer on this as a package with 145, seems like it would cost £150 which is crazy that half the speed would cost 17 quid more!  So for an extra £11 I am getting the much faster speed, with the WiFi pods to create the mesh, a proper TV box with hard drive (so I can watch programs without the internet if I need to) if compared to the "ideal" locations where Sky do provide decent speeds, or £4 less than the reality (and barely good enough to stream and game internet).  The TV part alone from sky, with TNT Sports and Sky Sports is £74 a month.

100% my most positive interaction with Virgin media customer services ever; I then had to order the WIFI pods as mentioned (and an engineer had even came on Monday to fit a new TV box as the old one had HD issues - and tested it himself), and that was less pleasant.  Had to wait 5 mins for faults to pick up, then had to walk around the house for 5 mins testing the connection, before he finally believed me (and the engineer) and actually started the process of ordering the pod - which then took 5-10 mins more. 

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: December 5, 2023, 03:09:49 pm »
You’d have got a better deal if you’d have cancelled and waited for the phone call.

I’m paying £74 for Gig1, Full TV 360 package on 2 boxes, TNT Sports / Sky Sports / Sky Cinema / Sky HD and UHD / Netflix / Phone service.

In terms of the cable issue, a Cat5e cable will do Gigabit speeds at 100m so you might have a dodgy cable? Either that or it’s Cat5 and not Cat5e or Cat6

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: December 5, 2023, 04:16:21 pm »
You’d have got a better deal if you’d have cancelled and waited for the phone call.

I’m paying £74 for Gig1, Full TV 360 package on 2 boxes, TNT Sports / Sky Sports / Sky Cinema / Sky HD and UHD / Netflix / Phone service.

In terms of the cable issue, a Cat5e cable will do Gigabit speeds at 100m so you might have a dodgy cable? Either that or it’s Cat5 and not Cat5e or Cat6

It's not the cable issue - it's the fact that my tablet and Galaxy phone don't have an ethernet port, so when I am working, my phone has to be sucking data from my Mobile plan (and ditto, if I want to watch the tablet in the bath, or have people in the spare room, I have to tether to the phone and use it's data).  I bought a super cheap router, and the WIFI signal worked ok - but obviously that was using a separate network and it crashed a couple of times - so it would just be more convenient to get a WIFI pod, plug it in nearer to the router, and create a proper mesh network.

I was very tempted to try that route - but as I WFH I can't really afford to have my internet service cut if they don't ring back immediately (or take a couple of days to do so), and I wasn't sure how long it might be for that to happen.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: December 5, 2023, 04:22:36 pm »
Gonna do our usual cancelation dance that we've been doing for the past 20 years, but this time I think it's going to take a lot to convince me to actually stay with Virgin.

Plusnet are offering up to 500mb plus 75mb upload for £31.99. My neighbour got it a while ago and was saying it's great. I wfh and upload speeds are really important but always feel like an afterthought for Virgin. On 125/20 for £25 with Virgin right now.  From what I can see, the equivalent Virgin package is £13 more p/m and has worse upload speeds.

Plusnet reviews online seem pretty positive.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #793 on: December 5, 2023, 04:24:01 pm »
It's not the cable issue - it's the fact that my tablet and Galaxy phone don't have an ethernet port, so when I am working, my phone has to be sucking data from my Mobile plan (and ditto, if I want to watch the tablet in the bath, or have people in the spare room, I have to tether to the phone and use it's data).  I bought a super cheap router, and the WIFI signal worked ok - but obviously that was using a separate network and it crashed a couple of times - so it would just be more convenient to get a WIFI pod, plug it in nearer to the router, and create a proper mesh network.

I was very tempted to try that route - but as I WFH I can't really afford to have my internet service cut if they don't ring back immediately (or take a couple of days to do so), and I wasn't sure how long it might be for that to happen.

I downloaded the VM Connect app and checked the WiFi coverage in all my rooms...as soon as I got a low speed I took a screen shot of the results and get onto them via WhatsApp - got one of their WiFi pods free of charge and dont have any problems now.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: December 5, 2023, 04:28:05 pm »
I downloaded the VM Connect app and checked the WiFi coverage in all my rooms...as soon as I got a low speed I took a screen shot of the results and get onto them via WhatsApp - got one of their WiFi pods free of charge and dont have any problems now.

I had a tv engineer in on Monday who told me to do the Virgin connect, and left a note on the job saying he told me I needed one - still the guy on the phone had me do it all again and walk through the house etc before he was able to send one out.  It worked, and it is being sent out - but it is just annoying that even though they had an engineer visit on Monday (for a different issue), he wasn't able to order one himself for me, and then I had to go through the steps again on the call and waste 15 mins of my time.  The issue is less low speed, and more it works, and then suddenly it doesn't - and if their app detects you are not connected, than it just gives a generic "you are not at home" error, which they thought meant I was outside

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #795 on: January 22, 2024, 08:12:40 pm »
They are doing my head in.

I placed an order in November for broadband and provided all wayleave forms from my neighbours as external cable work is required on the share driveway.

First date I was given was mid December, this changed to start of Jan, changed again to jan 26th and has today changed again to Feb 10th.

When I called this week the person promised me the installation will go ahead on the 26th.

Anyone experienced this before and know how to get them to sort this mess out?

Much appreciated

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: January 22, 2024, 11:21:56 pm »
Can’t help with the actual issue, but you’re entitled to £5.83 per day compensation for every day that’s elapsed since they said they’d install and haven’t….

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #797 on: January 23, 2024, 04:29:37 pm »
Had recently renewed my broadband with them and having fallen out with Sky I was looking to add TV to the bundle, interestingly they were completely unwilling to give any of the offer bundles on the Virgin 360 boxes as I already had a new contract, seems a bit shortsighted of them, but anyway going with their stream box as a relatively cheap and flexible product

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: January 23, 2024, 05:47:39 pm »
How recently Phil? If you’re still in the cooling off period you might be able to cancel your renewal and sort a new bundle out.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #799 on: January 23, 2024, 06:52:58 pm »
How recently Phil? If you’re still in the cooling off period you might be able to cancel your renewal and sort a new bundle out.

No its more than 14 days so it is too late now