Author Topic: Playstation 5 (2020)  (Read 145365 times)

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Playstation 5 (2020)
« Reply #2160 on: April 2, 2022, 08:00:12 am »
"The new Extra and Premium tiers represent a major evolution for PlayStation Plus. With these tiers, our key focus is to ensure that the hundreds of games we offer will include the best quality content that sets us apart. At launch, we plan to include titles such as Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal."

Returnal and Miles Morales, for me at least, represents about £70/80 worth of games that I'd effectively be getting for £50.

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a red and white Kop...
« Reply #2161 on: April 2, 2022, 03:37:35 pm »
That's how I've justified paying for PS Now for a couple of years.  I wouldn't have played Spiderman as I'm really not into superhero stuff, but as it was on PS Now I thought I'd give it a go.  For me, that justified the PS Now subscription by itself and why Miles Morales was a must buy when it came out.  I also played games like Doom and I think Days Gone may have been through PS Now too which is one of my favourite games of the last few years.  And then there's a load of  games that I never would have played had they not been "free" with PS Now like Beyond Two Souls, Little Nightmares and Limbo.  There's loads of what I think is shite on there, but the chance of finding gems which I never would have thought of trying such as some of those mentioned above has definitely made me think I've got my monies worth.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2162 on: April 2, 2022, 05:39:52 pm »
Put a lot into this post so want it on a new page

I don't really see what else they could have done other than tank their business model by immediately offering first party and third party new games. That is not a cheap endeavor. When Microsoft do this they eat the cost. The Xbox console is not and I think never has been profitable and Gamepass itself also loses money or has only just reached profitablity, though last I looked it up, it was "sustainable" due to MS deep pockets, and not "profitable". Might be profitable now, depends how you look at it:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/6/22422691/microsoft-xbox-consoles-profit-software-services-revenue-apple-epic-games-trial

Suggests it all just about adds up now, though taken as a whole

Worth noting as well that the "new" Gamepass games are often ones MS has had some involvement in developing themselves. With the kind of titles coming to Sony's service, I think that's pretty similar.

As a gamer and as a developer I think the real only neat part of Gamepass that doesn't distort the industry (cause the entire strategy is Microsoft bankrolling it despite it not reaping profit which I hate whether in football or not...) is the archival nature of having the recent, older games that get a second chance at life after release window, and then the developer / publisher one more source of income especially if they have DLC or are more of a service game

The games industry has traditionally had a serious problem in archiving its games and I think we are in a golden area of that now

Microsoft threw so much money for us for day one access to one game our publisher made it would have paid for the cost of development. Which is nice, but interestingly it didn't cannibalise sales too much. It turned out to be a bonus. I don't know how different our figures are but that would suggest Gamepass does not outnumber the traditional "buy to own" customers. If Sony did start doing that for third party games, it would cost a ton, and you'd probably see retail prices shoot up. Which nobody wants  :D

Yet you can't rely on that money. It's a game at a time deal, usually I think (can't see the info for every game). At any rate the Gamepass deals seem to be arranged pretty late in the dev process, and the idea of a game studio reliant entirely on Gamepass worries me a bit. They're basically hedging their bets on being first party. For the record I don't think many of any studios actually operate like this as the buy to own model is far from dead.

Sony taking more third party games on would be cool, though I'd have to see a full list of what games are available to really comment on it properly. I think the quality vs quantity argument is definitely being forgotten sometimes

So I think the Sony model is solid for this reason. Gamepass sounds like it's taking over the industry, but I only ever see this suggestion online as it isn't and figures I've seen don't suggest it is yet. And adopting that business model currently (it is worth mentioning Microsoft are in it for the long haul) is essentially taking the "throw money at the problem" approach.

Most of the criticism I've seen for the Sony stuff is either 1) the PS3 architecture is weird, so streaming and 2) it's not Gamepass, which, so what, get that then. I reckon if this includes discounts for new games they're onto a winner (PS Plus sales are underrated IMO)

The way it seems this will work out is for the customer you keep the current model of money down to own a game on release, and you get access to slightly older stuff later though subscribing. To me, the real criticism isn't even a new one: if you want to get a new game, basically the prices are through the roof. That needs to change.

But the money has to come from somewhere. Offering everything free immediately would entail cannibalising profits. It would be nice to benefit the consumer but not in a way that distorts the industry (for similar reasons I also take a dim view of Epic - the Man City approach to running a game store)

I think in all we have plenty of games to be getting on with. I can't name more than two of three upcoming games I am seriously looking at buying. As ever, if you're a consumer, vote with your feet. It's down to Sony to give you games you simply must have and to be fair their recent acquisitions suggest they're fully into that strategy

Microsoft's model: Gamepass under your TV set or PC sod the cost
Sony's: offer the best (though not all) games with the best experiences
Nintendo: lol "sod the others, we're Nintendo"

I think Microsoft are still in last place. Nintendo are actually who to beat. Not suggesting anyone cares more than me, vote with your feet! But to me it is good if the money coming into the gaming industry actually begins in the gaming industry as it guarantees more games. MS injecting cash from other sectors wellllll that sort of thing gets discussed a lot on RAWK  ;)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2163 on: April 26, 2022, 12:07:47 pm »
Variable Refresh Rate should be coming to PS5 some time this week.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/sony-ps5-variable-refresh-rate-update

Initial games to support VRR

Astro’s Playroom
Call of Duty: Vanguard
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Destiny 2
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
DIRT 5
Godfall
Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Resident Evil Village
Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
Tribes of Midgard

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a red and white Kop...
« Reply #2164 on: April 26, 2022, 04:13:40 pm »
Just had this email through detailing the new subscription service....

Your PlayStation Plus membership is changing on 22 June. You can find out more details here.

The new PlayStation Plus will include three membership options: PlayStation Plus Essential, PlayStation Plus Extra and PlayStation Plus Premium.

What this means for you
Your current membership will automatically migrate into an equivalent subscription plan in the new PlayStation Plus service, unless you let it expire before the new service launches . You will keep any stacked subscription period you’ve already paid for and continue to enjoy access to the same membership benefits until your membership expires.

Rest assured that your subscription fee will not increase and your payment dates will not change when the new service launches, unless you choose to make any changes yourself to your subscription plan or payment frequency.

You can easily upgrade to a higher benefits plan at any time. To do so, you'll need to pay the difference between your current plan and your new plan, adjusted for the remaining time of your subscription.

The PS Plus Usage Terms (the terms that govern your subscription) will change at launch to reflect the new membership options. See here for the terms that will apply from launch.

Here’s a look at each membership tier

PlayStation Plus Essential
Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
• Monthly downloadable games
• Exclusive discounts
• Cloud storage for saved games
• Online multiplayer access
There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this membership plan.

PlayStation Plus Extra
Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier plus a catalogue1 of up to 400 of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games, including:
• Death Stranding
• God of War
• Mortal Kombat 11
• Returnal
• Marvel’s Spider-Man
• Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales

PlayStation Plus Premium
• Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers.
• Adds up to 340 additional games, including:
o PS3 games available via cloud streaming
o A catalogue of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
• Offers cloud streaming access for a selection of original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets where PlayStation Now is currently.
• Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.
• Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2165 on: May 6, 2022, 03:50:05 pm »
My PS5 isn't powering on :(

Anyone else here face similar issues or know any fixes? It just doesn't power on at all, tried it with different cables and sockets. It was working fine last week, been about a year or so since I got it
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #2166 on: May 6, 2022, 04:27:18 pm »

Anyone else here face similar issues or know any fixes? It just doesn't power on at all, tried it with different cables and sockets. It was working fine last week, been about a year or so since I got it

I had something like this after a power cut, you got any of the lights coming on? I think I had pulsing lights.

Look into putting it into safe mode if so (holding the power button until you hear 2 beeps iirc) and then you maybe need to do a variety of things like rebuilding the database, reinstalling the firmware etc to get it going again.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2167 on: May 6, 2022, 04:34:11 pm »
I had something like this after a power cut, you got any of the lights coming on? I think I had pulsing lights.

Look into putting it into safe mode if so (holding the power button until you hear 2 beeps iirc) and then you maybe need to do a variety of things like rebuilding the database, reinstalling the firmware etc to get it going again.

Nope, no lights or sounds or anything :butt

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #2168 on: May 6, 2022, 04:35:59 pm »
Nope, no lights or sounds or anything :butt

Damn, doesn't sound too promising.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2169 on: May 6, 2022, 04:46:19 pm »

When exactly did you get it? Try a Sony warranty claim first. If just outside then try a CRA claim against the retailer as it can’t be considered durable to last just over a year. If you paid for it on a credit card then you can do down the Section 75 route.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2170 on: May 6, 2022, 04:57:26 pm »
When exactly did you get it? Try a Sony warranty claim first. If just outside then try a CRA claim against the retailer as it can’t be considered durable to last just over a year. If you paid for it on a credit card then you can do down the Section 75 route.

Literally finished 1 year a week ago.

Unfortunately I'm in India so those options won't work, but appreciate it though!

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams

Online Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2172 on: May 16, 2022, 06:14:23 pm »
Sony have announced some of the games coming to their new PS Plus tiers. Good summary below:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/05/sony-shares-first-look-at-ps-plus-extra-premium-games

Have to say I’m now quite tempted by the Extra tier as there are a few games in there that I’ve been wanting to play and the £83 for the year price will more than cover the cost of them. Am not sure about the Premium yet, not too fussed by the old games so will probably not bother.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2173 on: May 16, 2022, 06:52:05 pm »
Sony have announced some of the games coming to their new PS Plus tiers. Good summary below:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/05/sony-shares-first-look-at-ps-plus-extra-premium-games

Have to say I’m now quite tempted by the Extra tier as there are a few games in there that I’ve been wanting to play and the £83 for the year price will more than cover the cost of them. Am not sure about the Premium yet, not too fussed by the old games so will probably not bother.
Meh, I'll stick with Essentials, pales in comparison to Gamepass.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2174 on: May 16, 2022, 07:02:31 pm »
Meh, I'll stick with Essentials, pales in comparison to Gamepass.
Yeah, I'm covered by the first comment on that pushsquare list - I expected disappointment yet I'm still disappointed

Probably only Returnal in the list I'd have interest in (aside from ones I've already played or already have because of PS Plus).

That plus Miles Morales which I recently played over a week would I guess have made economical sense for the fee on top of the essential tier, but I have more than enough games to play through and no need to rush to Returnal while it's full price.

The premium looks genuinely entirely uninteresting to me though - I'd maybe try Tekken for a few minutes, dont see anything else though

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2175 on: May 16, 2022, 07:24:08 pm »
That's only a selection of the games they announced. They'll be more on launch. Surprised they nabbed ubisoft titles, that's a decent get.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2176 on: May 16, 2022, 07:29:57 pm »
My Gamepass expired months ago and I’ll just keep the standard PS Plus I’ve got already. Bored of streaming services for games now.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2177 on: May 16, 2022, 08:56:22 pm »
Why decide now? There's more to come.

The PS1 and PSP games will be enhanced with save states, improved performance, and a rewind function. Also, if you already bought them in the years gone by, you'll be able to freely download and play them outside of the PS Plus service.

Sold

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2178 on: May 16, 2022, 09:00:08 pm »
Please add ISS Pro Evolution and PES, PES 2-5 and I'll be there. I'm pretty one-eyed when it comes to gaming, me.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2179 on: May 17, 2022, 08:23:50 am »
Why decide now? There's more to come.

Sold

I'll be very interested to see how they manage to upscale PS1 games to even 720p

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2180 on: May 17, 2022, 11:06:11 am »
I'll be very interested to see how they manage to upscale PS1 games to even 720p

"remastered"  tags

I'm interested too. I play on a 4K TV. Stretching out a PS1 resolution game to that would be pretty terrible!

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2181 on: May 17, 2022, 12:35:14 pm »
That's pretty much sold it for me. Seeing about 10 games (maybe stretch to 15 with the ps3 ones) that I've not played and would be happy to. For £50 more a year than I'm already paying.

Just failing to see what the problem is with this service to be honest. It's not an exhaustive or inflexible list, it will grow and change, all for an annual price less than 2 x retail priced AAA games.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2182 on: May 17, 2022, 01:02:21 pm »
That's pretty much sold it for me. Seeing about 10 games (maybe stretch to 15 with the ps3 ones) that I've not played and would be happy to. For £50 more a year than I'm already paying.

Just failing to see what the problem is with this service to be honest. It's not an exhaustive or inflexible list, it will grow and change, all for an annual price less than 2 x retail priced AAA games.

I think a lot of people want PS exclusives to drop on it day one like Gamepass does with Xbox exclusives.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2183 on: May 18, 2022, 05:46:58 am »
I think a lot of people want PS exclusives to drop on it day one like Gamepass does with Xbox exclusives.

And I've posted already why that's unsustainable and bad for the business, let alone developers for myself

It's greed basically. Plenty of games to play without the newest shiny.

Though I do wish new game prices were lower.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2184 on: May 18, 2022, 06:37:18 am »
Astro Playroom is so good. Think it will be a nostalgic game over the years. Playstation could make it the Mario of their console.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2185 on: May 19, 2022, 10:30:59 am »
Astro Playroom is so good. Think it will be a nostalgic game over the years. Playstation could make it the Mario of their console.
I play it with my daughters, it's a blast. I love finding the secrets, especially the PS1 and PS2 ones. The PS2 memory card really gave me a nostalgia trip.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2186 on: May 19, 2022, 12:18:59 pm »
Loved Astro's managed to platinum it too.

Really nice little game and a must for any PS5 owner.

I hope between the rave reviews for this and the VR version on PS4 they can make a fully fleshed out game.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2187 on: May 19, 2022, 01:40:33 pm »
I play it with my daughters, it's a blast. I love finding the secrets, especially the PS1 and PS2 ones. The PS2 memory card really gave me a nostalgia trip.
That's brilliant. I am confident it will be a great memory for them down the line too as the PS2 memory card was for you. It just has that quality.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Hendollama

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2188 on: May 19, 2022, 01:41:33 pm »
Loved Astro's managed to platinum it too.

Really nice little game and a must for any PS5 owner.

I hope between the rave reviews for this and the VR version on PS4 they can make a fully fleshed out game.
I didn't know there was a VR version of this game too. Guess I will need to pick it up. Cheers. :wave

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2189 on: May 19, 2022, 01:46:29 pm »
It's really good and a longer game than Astro's Playroom.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2190 on: May 19, 2022, 07:42:32 pm »
It's amazing in VR. I hope the make a proper sequel to that for the new headset.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #2191 on: June 2, 2022, 04:33:46 pm »
Heads up, you can already try the new ps plus if you have an Asian account. Have Demon's Souls, Death Stranding and Returnal installed.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2192 on: June 3, 2022, 02:19:27 am »
State of play tonight.

Resi 4 remake coming march next year
FF16 coming summer next year
PSVR2 support for RE Village next year
Stray free for higher tier PS+ subs
Street Fighter 6 coming next year with what looks like an explorable open world as part of the story mode

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2193 on: June 3, 2022, 06:05:18 am »
Spider-Man PC is what I'm really looking forward to
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2194 on: June 3, 2022, 08:48:57 am »
That was pretty good for a state of play.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2195 on: June 10, 2022, 12:56:27 pm »
Spider-Man PC is what I'm really looking forward to

With Miles Morales? It'll be brilliant.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2196 on: June 10, 2022, 09:53:40 pm »
God of War rumoured to be releasing in November, full release date and reveal at the end of this month is the new rumour.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2197 on: June 12, 2022, 12:32:13 pm »
Last of us Redux Redux is easy money. Plus they're working on a new IP which will be in the R&D phase. Putting the development and QA staff on this is a smart use of resources, since they'll have the tools, the familiarity, the security, the skills to do it well.

I don't need it myself, but it's a no brainer. No, it doesn't need it, but an update now on the PS5 while they have the availability to do it before being pulled into whatever the next huge Dev cycle looks like, yeah, fine.

Plus it's money on the table. That TV series is gonna bring people to the table. No clue on numbers. But that's business. You try to capitalise on these things. So having it out before then, neat. I also enjoy the method of not announcing things until they're basically done.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2198 on: June 13, 2022, 03:12:28 pm »
I’m lagging a bit behind here but just realized that Starfield is an XBOX-exclusive. So here’s hoping that it’s a buggy Bethesda mess with 2018 graphics.

On a more positive note, I like how quick the ps5 can switch between gaming and streaming. Makes you realize how hopelessly outdated the ps4 was.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2199 on: June 13, 2022, 04:19:36 pm »