Author Topic: The Boys  (Read 54264 times)

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Boys
« on: July 29, 2019, 09:59:47 pm »
Anyone watching this? New series on Amazon Prime and the internet. Based on the comic. Not usually big on superhero stuff but when it's this satirical and morbid I can get behind it. I've only watched the first episode and it was a banger, reminded me a bit of the first time I saw Watchmen. Would recommend 10/10

Premise: In a world in which super-powered "heroes" have become commonplace, they are syndicated, monetized, and marketed by a company called Vought International. Unfortunately, money and privilege corrupt, and many of the "supes" give in to their darker impulses. A clandestine group of normal-human vigilantes then arises to counter the corrupt "supes"
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Boys
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 10:01:49 pm »
Thought it was phenomenal. As close to an Earth 3/ Flashpoint Justice League as we'll likely get but with the added bonus of great writing and some great performances.

The youngish lead (not Karl Urban) is Randy Quaid's nephew and he's excellent.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 10:18:21 pm »
Haha, I like you went with Randy Quaid when he is Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan’s son ;D
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 10:34:33 pm »
It's class. Glad someone made a thread for it, it deserves it. Was going to do one myself but laziness got in the way. Binged it over the weekend except the final episode, and don't really want it to end.

Starr is class, love the French bloke, Maeve is a goddess, and Urban has charisma in spades, even if his accent meanders somewhat. Very enjoyable, brutal fun. Didn't know the Quaid was one of those Quaids, though I suspected something when I saw his name was Quaid.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 10:37:51 pm »
Haha, I like you went with Randy Quaid when he is Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan’s son ;D

Randy is America's true Sweetheart!
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 10:38:38 pm »
I've watched six myself, an d it is excellent. I thought about making a thread myself, but wasn't sure there was enough interest, so satisfied my self with a post in the Banshee thread due to the Antony Starr connection.

It's an excellent, subversive take on superheroes, like Umbrella Academy, and yet the two are completely different.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 11:52:55 pm »
Watched the first episode to give it a go after reading the comic ages ago and it's been good so far.  Karl Urban is amazing in anything comic book-related.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 11:43:47 am »
Have watched the first three so far, its very, very good. One of the best series I've seen in a long time and def the best I've seen on Prime.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 11:47:19 am »
Started watching last night. Very good, so far. Not sure about Urban's egsunt, drifts from geezer to rural Kiwi and all things in between but he's great in this none-the-less.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 12:14:45 pm »
Enjoyed it a lot gonna watch the last episode today.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 01:57:14 pm »
Best thing ive seen in ages. Real characters with some genuine laugh out loud moments,  that dolphin scene wtf lol. Best thing was i dint feel like id seen it before, was genuinly different and suprising. A breth of fresh air.
Football is a lie

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 04:06:17 pm »
Binged the whole lot the other night. Thought it was great.

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 12:59:29 am »
Been a binge with it too. Absolutely fantastic. No idea what accent Karl Urban was aiming for but he's so watchable.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #13 on: August 1, 2019, 11:59:39 pm »
Through three of them. Normally don't like the superhero stuff but was fascinated by the premise. Must say I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far, looking forward to watching the rest. Some funny bits in it too.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #14 on: August 2, 2019, 12:02:19 am »
Amazon has something special on their hands here, honestly haven't felt this good about a new show since GoT. Just has everything, a great hook, complex characters, it's twisted, dark and funny.
Suffering from bingers remorse now though. I think streaming services are missing a trick dumping entire seasons on us in one go. You do lose something, feels like less of a big deal than it should be without all the hype, anticipation and word of mouth that builds week to week. Two episodes a week would be perfect imo.

Is there any reason Hughie in the comics looks exactly Simon Pegg, seeing as he's in the show as the father, i'm presuming it's not coincidental?
« Last Edit: August 2, 2019, 12:05:45 am by BER »

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 2, 2019, 12:53:52 am »
Amazon has something special on their hands here, honestly haven't felt this good about a new show since GoT. Just has everything, a great hook, complex characters, it's twisted, dark and funny.
Suffering from bingers remorse now though. I think streaming services are missing a trick dumping entire seasons on us in one go. You do lose something, feels like less of a big deal than it should be without all the hype, anticipation and word of mouth that builds week to week. Two episodes a week would be perfect imo.

Is there any reason Hughie in the comics looks exactly Simon Pegg, seeing as he's in the show as the father, i'm presuming it's not coincidental?

It seems so...

Hughie is intentionally drawn to resemble the British actor and writer Simon Pegg. According to Robertson, he drew the character based on Pegg after seeing him in the sitcom Spaced, and thought that Pegg captured the balance of "innocence but tough determination" that Ennis wanted in the character. When asked about playing Hughie in a possible movie adaptation of The Boys, Pegg thought that he might be too old to play the role. In the television series, Pegg played the recurring part of Hughie's father.[3]

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 2, 2019, 05:27:56 am »
The Deep's arc is really impressive and somewhat unique in modern day.

He's introduced as a sinister predator, then they try and make you feel sorry for him as he's a bit pathetic. Then the same sinister predator is given one of the best comedic moments of the series. And then they try and make you feel sorry for him, even though his shitty situation is the result of him being a sinister predator. It's not linear, that's for sure.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 2, 2019, 09:50:43 am »
Sounds like this is worth a watch, cheers

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #18 on: August 2, 2019, 12:34:21 pm »
I will spoiler this just in case but did anyone notice the Breaking Bad reference?

Spoiler
Giancarlo saying "Hey, don't go planning my retirement yet. Just saying, someone needs to run this shit show when I move to Belize."
[close]

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: August 2, 2019, 02:46:04 pm »
Watched the first three episodes & enjoying it so far, have recommended it to friends & can't wait to get some free time to myself to watch the remaining episodes.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #20 on: August 3, 2019, 11:16:03 pm »
Just watched the first two episodes back to back.

This is really rather good.

Looking forward to the watching the rest.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 4, 2019, 02:23:56 am »
Thats some good Tellying that.

Homelander is a boss boss c*nt ;D

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 5, 2019, 08:02:56 pm »
Aye, Homelander's great. Creepy c*nt. Just finished this, a real breath of fresh air. Roll on Season 2!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #23 on: August 5, 2019, 08:06:26 pm »
What's with the fucking fly appearing ?

Reminded me of that thing the Young Ones used to do were they'd  just put a random clip in and blink and you'd miss it. Remember one being a Skier doin a jump

Me an my lil bro would sit there every week fast forwarding and rewinding to land on correct spot ;D

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 5, 2019, 08:30:51 pm »
Yes, something is going on with that fly. Maybe it’s a hero who’ll be fully revealed in the next season.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #25 on: August 5, 2019, 09:45:47 pm »

I read about this, apparently it was shot in Toronto where there's tons of flies in summertime and they just kept them in the shot, a bit like all the stray dogs in Black Hawk Down.

Watched the first 2 eps last night with some mates + scran and we loved it, I'll continue on through the week. Even the way certain actors have been cast because they are lookalikes reminds me a bit of Watchmen casting. The Deep looks like a teen heart-throb from 90210, Homelander looks like Chris Pine from Star Trek but 10 years from now, etc.

• Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #26 on: August 6, 2019, 09:36:48 am »

Reminded me of that thing the Young Ones used to do were they'd  just put a random clip in and blink and you'd miss it. Remember one being a Skier doin a jump

Me an my lil bro would sit there every week fast forwarding and rewinding to land on correct spot ;D

In the comics there's a supe called Swatter, who is human sized but can only communicate like a fly (by buzzing). I suspect this is the tv version of him (the tv version of the boys strayed far from the comics at times) and we'll get the reveal in the next season.

Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #27 on: August 6, 2019, 01:44:31 pm »
This show was incredible.

Roll on S2.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 6, 2019, 03:03:12 pm »
I read about this, apparently it was shot in Toronto where there's tons of flies in summertime and they just kept them in the shot, a bit like all the stray dogs in Black Hawk Down.

Watched the first 2 eps last night with some mates + scran and we loved it, I'll continue on through the week. Even the way certain actors have been cast because they are lookalikes reminds me a bit of Watchmen casting. The Deep looks like a teen heart-throb from 90210, Homelander looks like Chris Pine from Star Trek but 10 years from now, etc.

The Rob Ford Effect

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #29 on: August 8, 2019, 07:11:59 pm »
Just finished this and absolutely loved it, the last 20 mins in the last episode were superb, I read online before its been renewed for 2 more seasons, as well can see how IMDB, RT love it.

Also the final scene ties up why the first scene happens, (with the hands!!!) ill add spoilers if anyone wants to chat on it...

Highly recommended and dark AF

Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #30 on: August 8, 2019, 09:08:43 pm »
Will watch this as soon as i can,thanks for the tip!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #31 on: August 8, 2019, 09:16:03 pm »
Watched the first 4 episodes last night, watching the final few this weekend. Like many have said, boss little series.

Having said that, what the fuck is Karl Urban talking like a shark from Finding Nemo, for. Badly gets on me tits.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 8, 2019, 10:44:31 pm »

Eden Hazard doing a great job as Frenchie

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 8, 2019, 10:56:46 pm »
Brilliant show. I didn’t even know about this until I read about it on here.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 9, 2019, 05:51:21 am »
Just finished this and absolutely loved it, the last 20 mins in the last episode were superb, I read online before its been renewed for 2 more seasons, as well can see how IMDB, RT love it.

Also the final scene ties up why the first scene happens, (with the hands!!!) ill add spoilers if anyone wants to chat on it...

Can you clarify your second para? I missed that one.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #35 on: August 9, 2019, 09:29:04 am »
Just watched the first three. Good shout, Dame Judy  :thumbup
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #36 on: August 9, 2019, 10:17:15 am »
Having said that, what the fuck is Karl Urban talking like a shark from Finding Nemo, for. Badly gets on me tits.

His accent is all over the place.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #37 on: August 9, 2019, 10:26:09 am »

Did I miss this part? What about the hands?

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 9, 2019, 10:30:28 am »
His accent is all over the place.

I find it's best to just pretend he's Australian

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #39 on: August 9, 2019, 11:42:09 am »
Watched the first 4 episodes last night, watching the final few this weekend. Like many have said, boss little series.

There is an ex pat sheep shearing community just outside of Brisbane who speak exactly like that, mate. They all drink in the Queen Vic tavern, wear Pearly King and Queen gear on their days off, 'sing knees ap, mavver Brarn' and scoff jellied eels washed down with gallons of Fosters. That's what I use...
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same