Author Topic: Place names not on the map  (Read 34146 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Place names not on the map
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2019, 10:41:11 pm »
Sacrilege! The last time I went downstairs in the Pen and Wig it was to listen to a bit of jazz.

Was the band Jazz Mag?

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2019, 10:59:00 pm »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2019, 11:23:46 pm »
Or Jizz Mag ?

That's what I meant to write! Getting late, time for bed.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2019, 03:34:01 am »
Was the band Jazz Mag?
Natural Gaz I think they were called, or was it Jizz.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2020, 03:19:49 pm »
I only heard this for the first time last week.

The Dip.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2020, 04:16:27 pm »

The Dip.

Is that near Aigburth Vale/Otterspool?

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2020, 04:42:09 pm »
Grab a granny.. :o

One of these everywhere I suppose but as a youngster we had to go 'the baggy'..(Bagwash/Liver Laundrette)

'The Drive'  (Queens Drive).

..by the bubble bus stops, still use that now.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2020, 04:46:55 pm »
Over the moss.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2020, 05:01:47 pm »
Is that near Aigburth Vale/Otterspool?

Was in the Cali last week afterwork and got speaking to an arl fella. Was speaking about traffic pollution and stuff snd he's says  ' Down in the Dip it's horrible '. Meaning the flat part of town.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2020, 05:09:20 pm »
Over the moss.

Is it Page Moss related ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2020, 06:13:16 pm »

Tesco may be referring to something else, but in my youth, the Moss was what the stretch of low lying flat land over to Ormskirk between the coastal stretch from around Ince Blundell north up to Southport. That area was actually a huge inland lake in medieval times that was then drained using windmills, Dutch engineers and such, and I believe still needs to be pumped over to the north east of Southport to keep it from flooding. 
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2020, 06:49:40 pm »
Tesco may be referring to something else, but in my youth, the Moss was what the stretch of low lying flat land over to Ormskirk between the coastal stretch from around Ince Blundell north up to Southport. That area was actually a huge inland lake in medieval times that was then drained using windmills, Dutch engineers and such, and I believe still needs to be pumped over to the north east of Southport to keep it from flooding. 

Great information GS but I aint a Wool so I don't know stuff like that.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2020, 08:59:26 pm »

The Dip.
My mum use to say that in the 60's mate :)

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2020, 10:25:01 pm »
Also at Hoscar, Mawdesley, Rufford and Croston which is below sea level and still floods when heavy rain meets spring tides. 

The River Douglas (tidal) meets the River Yarrow from the Pennines on the Moss between Rufford and Croston and on high tides can flood through the village when the Yarrow backs up to the weir at the Corn Mill on Syd Brook.

Back in the day before any flood defenses were built anyone going into Croston to the Cinema had to check tide times to make sure they could get in and back out of the village.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2020, 04:48:43 pm »
Is it Page Moss related ?
Got it spot on Gully  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2020, 05:55:29 pm »

To the wools In Burscough and Southport its referred to as The Moss as well.

Also at Hoscar, Mawdesley, Rufford and Croston which is below sea level and still floods when heavy rain meets spring tides. 

The River Douglas (tidal) meets the River Yarrow from the Pennines on the Moss between Rufford and Croston and on high tides can flood through the village when the Yarrow backs up to the weir at the Corn Mill on Syd Brook.

Back in the day before any flood defenses were built anyone going into Croston to the Cinema had to check tide times to make sure they could get in and back out of the village.

Croston still floods, fella from work moved there and got flooded back end of last year
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2020, 06:28:51 pm »
My mum use to say that in the 60's mate :)

This fella was I'd guess way into his sixties or seventies.

Such a beautiful expression that I've been using ever since.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2020, 07:51:02 pm »
To the wools In Burscough and Southport its referred to as The Moss as well.

Croston still floods, fella from work moved there and got flooded back end of last year
I know it does Rob.  I lived there back in the 80s, my ex still does live there but it definitely floods more now than then. 

Once in 15yrs when I lived there but it's near enough every year now, sometimes more often than that over the last 10yrs or so.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2020, 08:27:11 pm »
I know it does Rob.  I lived there back in the 80s, my ex still does live there but it definitely floods more now than then. 

Once in 15yrs when I lived there but it's near enough every year now, sometimes more often than that over the last 10yrs or so.

I wonder if it is down to the councils either not doing the jobs or those they have sold the services to and they are neglecting the drains. The Tories who used to run Trafford sold it all off to a private company and now every time it rains here every grid floods and the roads are underwater.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2020, 08:48:45 pm »
I wonder if it is down to the councils either not doing the jobs or those they have sold the services to and they are neglecting the drains. The Tories who used to run Trafford sold it all off to a private company and now every time it rains here every grid floods and the roads are underwater.

Nah mate it's all the rivers surrounding the village and the fact it's below sea level.  The Dougie is tidal then you've got the Yarrow coming off Rivington and they get a lot of big spring tides these days and everything backlogs to the corn mill on Sidbrook where it can't go any further due to the weir.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2020, 01:29:31 pm »
In my youth, the cinder path ran alongside Ford Cemetery.

Every neighbourhood must have a cinder path.  :)

Yeh, the Cindy also ran along Bootle Golf course - also known locally as the Golfie.

Then there was the Ingi or Ingy - the old works just off Dodge.

The Raller I knew was the old railway track from Orrell Park to Seaforth - hence raller (railway).

The Iron Bridge on the Dock Road.

The Ghosty and the Seven Sisters - I think they were either side of Park Lane by Aintree Station, but someone can put me right.

The Lane was always Marsh Lane in Bootle.

The Poshy was the estate by the schools just by Park Lane West.

If I remember any more then I'll add then as and when.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2020, 02:06:58 pm »
If someone mentioned 'The 5 Lamps' to you would you know where it was (without googling)  :P

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2020, 02:19:00 pm »
If someone mentioned 'The 5 Lamps' to you would you know where it was (without googling)  :P

They're in Waterloo - there are actually 5 lamps which became a term for that area  :wave

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Tame_Impala

• You wanna know why I always think I’m right?
  • Main Stander
  • I'll tell you why...
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2020, 02:22:14 pm »
Yeh, the Cindy also ran along Bootle Golf course - also known locally as the Golfie.

Then there was the Ingi or Ingy - the old works just off Dodge.

The Raller I knew was the old railway track from Orrell Park to Seaforth - hence raller (railway).

The Iron Bridge on the Dock Road.

The Ghosty and the Seven Sisters - I think they were either side of Park Lane by Aintree Station, but someone can put me right.

The Lane was always Marsh Lane in Bootle.

The Poshy was the estate by the schools just by Park Lane West.

If I remember any more then I'll add then as and when.

Just depends which part of Liverpool you're from doesn't it. Our 'Cindy' was a path that ran between Cardinal Heenan & Broughton Hall on Honeysgreen lane, and brought you out behind the Aldi on Dovecot

Our 'Raller' (also an old railroad track - could have actually been the same one as it did stretch for several miles & we only really frequented the central part) was a path which ran behind Springfield Park in Dovecot & behind the Shankly Fields in West Derby

'The Lane' to me now is Lark Lane, but that's just probably because I've got a few mates who are south-enders that drink around there

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2020, 02:31:29 pm »

They're in Waterloo - there are actually 5 lamps which became a term for that area  :wave

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2020, 02:44:26 pm »

Man, it's always the blimmin boat - I was after the car  ;D

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2020, 02:59:56 pm »

Just depends which part of Liverpool you're from doesn't it. Our 'Cindy' was a path that ran between Cardinal Heenan & Broughton Hall on Honeysgreen lane, and brought you out behind the Aldi on Dovecot

Our 'Raller' (also an old railroad track - could have actually been the same one as it did stretch for several miles & we only really frequented the central part) was a path which ran behind Springfield Park in Dovecot & behind the Shankly Fields in West Derby

I use to hang around on the Walkers playing field in the late 80s and know the raller well.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Tame_Impala

• You wanna know why I always think I’m right?
  • Main Stander
  • I'll tell you why...
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2020, 03:17:40 pm »
I use to hang around on the Walkers playing field in the late 80s and know the raller well.

Stretches all the way to Southport doesn't it?

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2020, 03:20:04 pm »
Stretches all the way to Southport doesn't it?

Not sure on that . It deffo goes through Childwall towards Woolton though.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2020, 03:23:25 pm »
Every area had its own raller..ours was by Kirkdale station, we used to slide down the grass embankment on a piece of plastic & stop ourselves at the bottom with our feet where there was a wall about 12 inches high..there was a drop beyond that small wall of about 60ft

Playing out we called it!  :D

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2020, 06:00:58 pm »

Ah yes. Corner of Great George's Road and Crosby Road, Waterloo. Known that since I was a kid.

I mentioned them a while back to my partner who was brought up in Kirkdale and she'd never heard of them.

A local landmark in these parts though.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2020, 06:05:06 pm »

I remember the path that ran right through the Golfie. We'd go there looking for stray golf balls.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2020, 06:33:05 pm »
I remember the path that ran right through the Golfie. We'd go there looking for stray golf balls.  :)

We'd dredge the pond using an old plastic milk crate and some rope and sell the lost golf balls back to the golfers for 5-10p.

Flippin eck it sounds like something Dickens would write about  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2020, 06:35:46 pm »
We'd dredge the pond using an old plastic milk crate and some rope and sell the lost golf balls back to the golfers for 5-10p.

Lads from our school, just over the road, used to do the same.  :D

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2020, 01:05:25 am »
Every area had its own raller..ours was by Kirkdale station, we used to slide down the grass embankment on a piece of plastic & stop ourselves at the bottom with our feet where there was a wall about 12 inches high..there was a drop beyond that small wall of about 60ft

Playing out we called it!  :D

Funny.

I remember some lad saying he's going for a piss and slid down about 20ft .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2020, 01:09:44 am »

My golfie was the one on Yew Tree Lane . I remember going golfie hunting too. It also had a cindie and blackberry bushes. Oh those were the days my friend.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2020, 04:14:09 am »
Fairy Glen

stepping stones

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2020, 08:31:30 am »
All over Netherton and Sefton there were The Gaps.

Basically any gap between garages or walls or buildings that kids would be dared to jump across.

I remember one poor kid not making it and getting a chinny from a wall! Lost at least one tooth - nasty - but the next day there he was trying again.

I also remember when I did the 3 gaps with the last one being the 'big' gap.

I took a big run up and just went for it - fuckin ell I must've been really stupid - and I cleared it with concrete to spare. Felt like Superman all day  ;D

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2020, 11:16:22 am »

Wasn't just the lost ones they used to pick up either. Anytime you hit a decent drive there'd be a risk of some little kid running out of a bush onto the fairway and nicking the ball.

Not that I ever hit many decent drives.
Legacy fan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2020, 11:20:32 am »
I had mates who worked on the Raller, there used to be Dips near to New Brighton Baths and there was a 'lovers lane' next to our local Gollies (used johhnies abounded).