Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 452302 times)

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #5240 on: April 21, 2022, 10:40:43 am »
Yep, TK has confirmed. "Forbidden Door" on June 26 in Chicago.

Sounds like a Harry Potter book
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5241 on: April 21, 2022, 11:35:20 am »
Sounds like a Harry Potter book

I feel bad for Tanahashi. Everyone uses that phrase these days but never credits him for the quote

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5242 on: May 4, 2022, 07:42:23 pm »
Cardiff’s Clash at the Castle announced, tickets on sale mid May. Tempted to go to this.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5243 on: May 4, 2022, 08:07:20 pm »
Cardiff’s Clash at the Castle announced, tickets on sale mid May. Tempted to go to this.
I'll probably be going if I can get a hold of cheap tickets.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5244 on: May 9, 2022, 01:09:12 pm »
I'll probably be going if I can get a hold of cheap tickets.

I've booked flights/accom into Bristol and a bus to/from Cardiff. Cardiff accom is dear as fuck. Hope the tickets to the event aren't extortionate! Going by the push Drew is getting all of a sudden, he'll be main eventing with Roman I reckon.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #5245 on: May 10, 2022, 11:56:32 am »
If I needed anymore ammuntion to hate MJF more then I do here it is. Here is a Q&A he did recently at the For Love of Wrestling convention. Dispite all the abuse he gives out he gave some very good answers

MJF on his dream opponent, CM Punk, The AEW title, If he would go to WWE & roasts fans at FTLOW 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heRqeG977oE

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5246 on: May 10, 2022, 01:23:33 pm »
He's really good value with fan conventions and signings, seen so many clips of him hamming it up.  Just wish he was a little less pantomime on TV.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5247 on: May 10, 2022, 02:58:51 pm »
He's really good value with fan conventions and signings, seen so many clips of him hamming it up.  Just wish he was a little less pantomime on TV.

I've swung on him slightly. I used to think he really was pure pantomime (brilliant but no nuance) and now I've seen him able to give better performances, like the promo to Punk, I think it's just a case of being managed correctly.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #5248 on: May 11, 2022, 08:07:18 am »
are fans still shouting What? after everyones promo?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5249 on: May 11, 2022, 09:52:23 am »
are fans still shouting What? after everyones promo?

Not really.  There have been a couple of times where they've tried but wrestlers are getting better at shutting them down straight away.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5250 on: May 11, 2022, 10:29:13 am »
Not really.  There have been a couple of times where they've tried but wrestlers are getting better at shutting them down straight away.

A couple I have seen have just stopped the pauses or shortened them, not giving them a chance to do it anymore, which in turn generally makes the promo stand out a bit from the usual monotonous types with the same flow.

So generally the ones that get the "What" treatment are the ones giving slow, boring promo's which follow a tired flow

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #5251 on: May 11, 2022, 10:34:12 am »

So generally the ones that get the "What" treatment are the ones giving slow, boring promo's which follow a tired flow

Ah, the Triple H cadence!

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5252 on: May 11, 2022, 10:37:22 am »
Ah, the Triple H cadence!

Basically. He did set the standard with about 10-15 years of opening Raw with a 20 minute promo usually about nothing.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5253 on: May 12, 2022, 10:49:31 am »
In what may be interesting for wrestling fans in the UK, seems Warner Media/Discovery are going to play a part in BT Sport going forward.

Warner of course own TNT which has AEW. BT sport have WWE. It may mean AEW takes WWE's spot on the channel, or it may be an indication of Warner moving on from AEW in 2024, or it may mean fuck all.

Although I would argue moving from ITV 4/ITV at midnight to BT sport is a downgrade for viewership. Currently AEW crushes WWE in UK viewers, still only with around 100,000 watchers, mainly because it is on a free channel.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5254 on: May 12, 2022, 05:44:18 pm »
So some bad shit is going down Kota Ibushi. He isn't happy with NJPW, and is seemingly going full on scorched earth in public. Mentioned harassment and sexual harassment from higher ups, and now also mentioned an affiliation with the Yakuza in public, which is a good way to cause a MASSIVE scandal in Japan.

It sounds like there is no way back for NJPW mad Ibushi relationship, but I have no idea how this evolves further or what happens after the seemingly inevitable split of the two parties

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5255 on: May 13, 2022, 09:56:20 pm »
Apparently Roman has got a new deal with WWE that will see him dramatically reduce his schedule. Won’t be on Raw/Smackdown every week, only 6-8 PPVs a year and far fewer live events if any.

That feels less than ideal considering the lack of major star power on either brand. Seems like he’ll basically become like Brock, more of a special attraction than a regular on the show.

Online btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5256 on: May 14, 2022, 01:33:35 am »
So he will be part timer like lesnar atleast he wasn't holding both the titles. well done wwe

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5257 on: May 14, 2022, 10:54:43 am »
And supposedly Roman/Drew will be the main event of the Cardiff stadium show, which makes sense.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5258 on: May 16, 2022, 10:21:09 pm »
73-year-old Ric Flair coming out of retirement. What could possibly go wrong?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5259 on: May 16, 2022, 10:35:34 pm »
73-year-old Ric Flair coming out of retirement. What could possibly go wrong?

Oh god what.  Has he had another divorce or something.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #5260 on: May 17, 2022, 07:08:54 am »
I wounder if Sheamus and cesaro are going to Paris for the final? They were in Madrid so could be a good luck charm.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5261 on: May 17, 2022, 08:14:29 am »
I wounder if Sheamus and cesaro are going to Paris for the final? They were in Madrid so could be a good luck charm.

They don't tag anymore, so unlikely.  Cesaro is now a free agent and recently launched some coffee thing.

Sounds like Sasha Banks walked out of RAW because she wasn't happy with creative.  Dunno how long she's got left on her contract, but she would be a huge get for AEW.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #5262 on: May 17, 2022, 08:28:48 am »
Billy Gunn is still in ridiculous shape. Turns 60 next year! Those sweet, sweet steroids.
maybe, wasnt that long ago though he was blowing out his arse just walking down the ramp
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5263 on: May 17, 2022, 08:44:32 am »
Sounds like Sasha Banks walked out of RAW because she wasn't happy with creative.  Dunno how long she's got left on her contract, but she would be a huge get for AEW.

Not the first time she's done that either. Don't think she's creating the best reputation for herself throwing her toys out the pram but she is a star so probably feels under-appreciated.

And agree, I'm sure AEW would love to poach her and make her their main star.  How they keep her consistently happy is a different matter.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5264 on: May 17, 2022, 09:22:42 am »
They don't tag anymore, so unlikely.  Cesaro is now a free agent and recently launched some coffee thing.

Naomi too. And had Corey Graves (with Vince in his ear no doubt) call them Unprofessional live on air.

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #5265 on: May 17, 2022, 10:10:46 am »
Not the first time she's done that either. Don't think she's creating the best reputation for herself throwing her toys out the pram but she is a star so probably feels under-appreciated.

And agree, I'm sure AEW would love to poach her and make her their main star.  How they keep her consistently happy is a different matter.

Would she be though?

She is not a patch on Britt Baker imo. Baker is great on the mic, good and getting better in the ring and has genuine charisma.

Would rate Jade Cargill higher than her too despite Cargill still being somewhat of a novice in terms of experience. What Cargill has in spades is natural charisma and physcial presence and she has improved massively in the ring the past 12 months. Can only see her getting better.

Banks to me is a Red Velvet level wrestler. Similar light frame, similar in ring ability and a bit of a charisma black hole like RV. Like RV she "hits" light too. You just do not buy into a lot of her offensive work having any clout.

Yes Banks takes some wicked bumps at times but find her character and in ring stuff very hard to buy into.
What's your pleasure?

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5266 on: May 17, 2022, 11:57:00 am »
Would she be though?

She is not a patch on Britt Baker imo. Baker is great on the mic, good and getting better in the ring and has genuine charisma.

Would rate Jade Cargill higher than her too despite Cargill still being somewhat of a novice in terms of experience. What Cargill has in spades is natural charisma and physcial presence and she has improved massively in the ring the past 12 months. Can only see her getting better.

Banks to me is a Red Velvet level wrestler. Similar light frame, similar in ring ability and a bit of a charisma black hole like RV. Like RV she "hits" light too. You just do not buy into a lot of her offensive work having any clout.

Yes Banks takes some wicked bumps at times but find her character and in ring stuff very hard to buy into.

Banks in NXT was Baker plus in my opinion. She has done some great stuff in WWE but do agree that it would be a risk for AEW to take her on.

The Boss vs Baker would be money though.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5267 on: May 17, 2022, 11:59:12 am »
Would she be though?

Nah I would say Sasha is way better in the ring that basically anyone AEW have, she's really good.

On the mic, she can be really good with the right stuff to work with. I think she is very charasmatic too. I think she has been underutilized for the past 9 months or so, but she is a legit star

Also the big thing she has, is a massive (and sometimes a bit manic) following. I mean we are talking about a multiple PPV main eventers including Mania. Even if we disagree on her inring ability, the fact that she is so we'll established in the wrestling world she would be one of the biggest stars in AEW, male or female.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5268 on: May 17, 2022, 12:40:30 pm »
Sasha is way ahead of Britt in the ring, she's a much more natural athlete in there.  Problem is she wants to be Eddie Guerrero and tries stuff she's just not capable of doing safely.  Her charisma in-ring is great, though, similar to Jeff Hardy.

Jade is improving way more than I expected she would (or even could).  She's still way off where she needs to be compared to her presentation, but she's starting to put it together.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5269 on: May 17, 2022, 01:55:52 pm »
Sasha is way ahead of Britt in the ring, she's a much more natural athlete in there.  Problem is she wants to be Eddie Guerrero and tries stuff she's just not capable of doing safely.  Her charisma in-ring is great, though, similar to Jeff Hardy.

Jade is improving way more than I expected she would (or even could).  She's still way off where she needs to be compared to her presentation, but she's starting to put it together.

In terms of her presentation and her natural charisma, Jade is legitimately one of the best in the entire company, she just SCREAMS star. She is of course no where near that in the ring, but if she ends up a quarter as good in the ring to how she carries herself, she'll be a real superstar

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5270 on: May 17, 2022, 03:56:43 pm »
Any chance this whole thing is a work? WWE aren't normally this transparent as quickly as this.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5271 on: May 17, 2022, 04:01:16 pm »
Any chance this whole thing is a work? WWE aren't normally this transparent as quickly as this.

Not with this kind of statement, talking about it being a scripted TV show, rehearsing and constructing their match, etc:

Online amir87

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5272 on: May 17, 2022, 04:24:53 pm »
Oh yeah no doubt it's a very damning statement but it's hard to fully trust anything we get told.

You'd have thought damage control would be the first option and maybe letting the dust settle rather than adding more fuel to the fire.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5273 on: May 17, 2022, 05:23:12 pm »
The Fox and NBC upfronts were yesterday. It was all about putting the narrative out and being on their beat behavior for WWE because there was more scrutiny.

Anyway apparently the story is Naomi would win the match, face Bianca, and Sasha face Ronda, and both put the champs over. It seems this is kinda a build up of months of frustration - being told they would be a team after originally being told they'd have singles feuds at Mania, then getting the team over and being told it would be put on the back burner to put the champs over, and then back to being a team again. Story is they felt it was just undoing work they did and making them run in place, when they were not massively happy before the team either - this was their opportunity to elevate the team, each other, the division, and they worked on it, just to be undermined by creative with these ideas.

Apparently they were also told by producers they were being spoiled and have to change their attitude even initially when they tried to talk to them about their concerns reasonably. After a while just said fuck it and left.

And it was apparently both of them, not just Sasha and Naomi following suit, it was both of them.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5274 on: May 18, 2022, 01:58:04 pm »
Got a ticket for the event in Clash at the Castle event in Cardiff, £40 but in the absolute heavens.

It's shocking the prices they are charging, Wrestlemania prices. I'd be amazed if it sells out.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5275 on: May 18, 2022, 03:50:09 pm »
Got a ticket for the event in Clash at the Castle event in Cardiff, £40 but in the absolute heavens.

It's shocking the prices they are charging, Wrestlemania prices. I'd be amazed if it sells out.

I saw some lower tier stuff was like £400 for restricted view or something silly like that. Certainly some tickets hitting the thousands I saw too

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5276 on: May 18, 2022, 07:56:39 pm »
Tried to get tickets but the prices were ridiculous, £225 for seats in the nosebleeds. Having a look at the layout, looks like they're not even building a proper stage and ramp so it's just a glorified house show.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #5277 on: May 18, 2022, 08:18:22 pm »
Tried to get tickets but the prices were ridiculous, £225 for seats in the nosebleeds. Having a look at the layout, looks like they're not even building a proper stage and ramp so it's just a glorified house show.

Someone may correct me but for WWE shows they start with a house show layout for stadium shows because the staging hasn't been set out yet. They leave loads of space for the stage. Then once the stage is set they can release more seats.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5278 on: May 19, 2022, 09:36:15 pm »
Hmm, Stephanie McMahon taking a leave of absence from WWE. Intends to return at some point but says she needs to focus on her family. My first thought was something related to Hunter, but could be wrong.

Offline Metallinick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5279 on: May 20, 2022, 07:21:15 am »
Hmm, Stephanie McMahon taking a leave of absence from WWE. Intends to return at some point but says she needs to focus on her family. My first thought was something related to Hunter, but could be wrong.

Coincidentally on the 11th anniversary of Macho Man's death. Maybe she's getting sentimental and having flashbacks to when she was 16  ;D