Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 450802 times)

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #200 on: July 3, 2019, 11:55:35 pm »
The "holy shit" from Graves on Raw was definitely the first step of this.
Kofis middle finger on smackdown too

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #201 on: July 4, 2019, 12:23:33 am »
Kofis middle finger on smackdown too

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Turned off Smackdown as it was more of the same that made me stop watching regular weekyl TV 2 years ago. Didn't realise the Bischoff experiment wasn't starting until after Extreme Rules, will likely tune back in then and give it another chance.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #202 on: July 6, 2019, 10:10:18 pm »
New Japan's biggest tour of the year, the G1 Climax tournament, starts tonight in Dallas.

Main event is Okada v Tanahashi who finally headline a US show together. This match will have a 30 min time limit and they've never finished a match in under 30 so I'm wondering how the US crowd (in a new territory!) would take a time limit draw as a result.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: July 8, 2019, 07:27:37 pm »
Dallas show looked more like a WWE PPV what with all the empty seats. Losing The Elite hurt them a lot, but the show was still really good and the fans made a ton of noise. It still looked good on TV! New Japan also announced they would be doing an East Coast tour at the ECW Arena, Hammerstein Ballroom, and Lowell Auditorium in Chicago which  are the same venues ROH use... only they're not co-promoting it with ROH. I think that business relationship will be dead a year from now.

CMLL Chief Promoter Paco Alonso passed away a couple of days ago, Jericho put up a video on his instagram of himself grieving and said Paco was the first promoter to ever put him in the main event of a show, and also named him Lionheart. He took over CMLL in the mid 70s which made him the 2nd longest reigning wrestling promoter after Vince himself, only by a couple of years. AAA's General Manager passed away a couple of years ago too so we have a changing of the guard in Mexico over the next couple of years.

Next weekend (13-14th of July) is a massive week for wrestling. There's WWE Extreme Rules, NJPW G1 Climax Nights 2 & 3, and AEW's Fight for the Fallen. I'm glad I've got it off!

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: July 8, 2019, 08:19:12 pm »
With WWE, AEW and now New Japan all having tons of empty seats in recent week, I'm wondering if maybe wrestling just isn't as hot as the social media bubble thinks it is.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 8, 2019, 08:58:04 pm »
AEW's was held at a gaming convention, is a new brand, and booked a show in Florida which isn't a wrestling hotbed so its amazing anyone turned up at all! NJPW probably overbooked the arena and then had to underbook the card, and WWE are at least trying to do something about how stale their product is with new creative direction.

Apparently the guy that runs AXS TV also owns the American Airlines Centre so its probably not even been much to rent. I was mocking the 2/3rds empty arena with my mates as the show started and then was happy that the people there seemed to enjoy themselves and made a real go of it, its not like you could hear crickets and would mistake it for a match at the Emirates. They definitely shouldn't have booked that arena though, especially after they've spent the last couple of years building up a territory in California.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: July 8, 2019, 09:18:42 pm »
AEW actually sold Fyter Fest quite well in the end. Most of the tickets sold when people were checking the booking (I think. It may have been Fight for the Fallen)

NJPW has been hurt by losing the elite, but apparently it was basically free to show there.

WWE have a show  3 times a week. Why go to one show when it is coming to your town in a week or so.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: July 8, 2019, 10:31:13 pm »
AEW's was held at a gaming convention, is a new brand, and booked a show in Florida which isn't a wrestling hotbed so its amazing anyone turned up at all! NJPW probably overbooked the arena and then had to underbook the card, and WWE are at least trying to do something about how stale their product is with new creative direction.

Apparently the guy that runs AXS TV also owns the American Airlines Centre so its probably not even been much to rent. I was mocking the 2/3rds empty arena with my mates as the show started and then was happy that the people there seemed to enjoy themselves and made a real go of it, its not like you could hear crickets and would mistake it for a match at the Emirates. They definitely shouldn't have booked that arena though, especially after they've spent the last couple of years building up a territory in California.

Florida isn't a hotbed? When did that change? Unless the bar is Chicago or New York (sometimes), I think Florida is a pretty well established territory.

It's only three shows, in a month, but if you told me AEW's second show would sell 5000 tickets and New Japan's G1 would do similarly poorly I'd have laughed. WWE doing shittily doesn't surprise me.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2019, 10:44:15 pm »
Maybe not big news but WWE will be leaving their main HQ since 1985, Titan Towers and moving to 677 Washington Boulevard (still in Stamford Connecticut).

They are planning to sell off the old building and have signed and 16 year lease on the new one. The transition is said to finish up in 2021

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 12, 2019, 10:11:24 pm »
Tickets for the NJPW Tokyo Dome double-header in January went on sale today and I picked some up. This will be my third time going now.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2019, 12:49:16 am »
I always thought the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen in pro wrestling is Undertaker, in gimmick, waiting outside the Cavs lockerroom to meet LeBron because he wore an Undertaker t-shirt once. Aside from that being embarrassing in and of itself, LeBron apparently doesn't visit with guests like that,so Taker just stood there with his hat and his fucking eyeliner looking like a doof for nothing.

Anyway, that image has finally been replaced in my mind with this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz1QRUIhjnx/

Chris Jericho, late night creepy uncle.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2019, 01:02:02 am »
He's definitely sucking in. I was all for his hardcore style matches with Omega and Naito in 2018 but he looks like shit going hold for hold. Maybe someone finally told him.

I actually watched his match with Okada yesterday, took me 5-6 weeks to get down to after it had bad word of mouth. Totally meh finish, two main eventers from two different companies protecting themselves rather than trying to get each other over. I think that's the first IWGP Heavyweight Title match to have a roll-up finish since I started watching 5 years ago.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: July 13, 2019, 01:07:45 am »
He's definitely sucking in. I was all for his hardcore style matches with Omega and Naito in 2018 but he looks like shit going hold for hold. Maybe someone finally told him.

I actually watched his match with Okada yesterday, took me 5-6 weeks to get down to after it had bad word of mouth. Totally meh finish, two main eventers from two different companies protecting themselves rather than trying to get each other over. I think that's the first IWGP Heavyweight Title match to have a roll-up finish since I started watching 5 years ago.

How does he work now? Still mostly like Jericho of old? You'd think with the average wrestler being shorter now than in his prime, he could pull off an old man-strong asshole brawler gimmick, somewhere in the style of 89 Funk.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2019, 09:02:22 am »
The best thing about Jericho is that we haven’t had to endure anymore ‘comebacks’ for a few years now. He looks in great shape though, and fresh.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2019, 01:13:51 am »
Venue looks packed for Fight for the Fallen.

Pre-show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox7k8rK3zAo

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2019, 03:38:42 am »
Everybody seemed to like both shows on my timeline, so yay?

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 15, 2019, 12:01:17 am »
Just watched AEW Fight for the Fallen. Was going decent (Luchasaurus is the most over guy on the roster) until the last two matches, Omega v CIMA and Rhodes v Young Bucks, both of which went TWICE as long as they should've done and became a snoozefest. After his boring Omega trilogy, Cody should not be wrestling anyone for 30 mins, yet here he was in a 32 min match with Young Bucks whose style makes them great in anything that lasts under 20 mins.

The G1 shows from this weekend were pretty decent, nothing individually outstanding but Juice Robinson v Shingo Takagi must've given each other whiplash from stiff lariats, and Moxley's continuing shenanigans with "Shooter" Umino are going to get him so over. Can't believe they did a Hart Attack together, NJPW youngboys are only supposed to be the wrestling equivalent of a level 9 pokemon, they only know three moves and one is a growl.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:03:41 am by OsirisMVZ »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 15, 2019, 08:45:26 am »
Lol Finn v Nakamura on the pre-show.

Extreme Rules had a couple of title changes so one would think that is setting the landscape this week for the first official Heyman & Bischoff Raw and Smackdowns.

NJPW related, Ospreay is injured and will miss today's show, which thankfully is a different Block to the one he's in.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 15, 2019, 10:24:00 am »
Brock winning reminds me of what Eddie Guerrero said when describing WCW last few years with the nWo winning all the time ,"You couldn't tell what month or year it was in our program, it was all the same with the same."
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2019, 01:06:11 pm »
Just watched AEW Fight for the Fallen. Was going decent (Luchasaurus is the most over guy on the roster) until the last two matches, Omega v CIMA and Rhodes v Young Bucks, both of which went TWICE as long as they should've done and became a snoozefest. After his boring Omega trilogy, Cody should not be wrestling anyone for 30 mins, yet here he was in a 32 min match with Young Bucks whose style makes them great in anything that lasts under 20 mins.

The G1 shows from this weekend were pretty decent, nothing individually outstanding but Juice Robinson v Shingo Takagi must've given each other whiplash from stiff lariats, and Moxley's continuing shenanigans with "Shooter" Umino are going to get him so over. Can't believe they did a Hart Attack together, NJPW youngboys are only supposed to be the wrestling equivalent of a level 9 pokemon, they only know three moves and one is a growl.

Agree with most of what you said for FFTF, apart from that. I really liked the match. Started off slow then sped up as CIMA started trying to murder Kenny via Meteora. Kenny came out looking like the star he is needed, I enjoyed it.

Agree with the Main Event though. Although I am excited about the tag division (way more than WWE. Especially after the two best teams with Revival and Uso'd put on an absolute snoozefest at Extreme rules)

G1 has been good so far.

I am liking Jay White more and more. Really maturing as a wrestler and I love how much of a dickhead he is for no reason whatsoever. Most heel have a reason for being a knob, but Jay is just a dickhead because his character is a massive dickhead. That's all.

Shingo is a fucking monster and I love it

Moxley is a fucking star in Japan

Online markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2019, 09:14:30 pm »
Alberto del rio vs tito ortiz in a MMA match in october, might be worth a look

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2019, 10:57:57 pm »
Agree with the Main Event though. Although I am excited about the tag division (way more than WWE. Especially after the two best teams with Revival and Uso'd put on an absolute snoozefest at Extreme rules)

I am excited for the tag tournament and division! The Revival have AEW contracts with their names on them waiting for them whenever their time is up and they will add an extra prestige as they fill several niches (heavyweights, old school heels, accomplished multiple-time NXT and WWE Tag Champs, etc).

My prediction for the tournament is that Young Bucks will continue to go over the Lucha Bros at every given opportunity (3 for 3 right now on AEW shows including All In) but Lucha Bros will finally beat them in the tournament final (maybe a November/early December PPV?) for the new belts.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 16, 2019, 03:50:54 am »
SID WILL BE ON RAW NEXT WEEK

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline ElDuderino

• Main Stander
« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2019, 12:48:04 am »
Only just finished that Fyer (sp?) fest, so pretty behind, but that's the price you pay to not be a nerd. Honestly didn't do much for me. The segments with the comedy(?) at the beginning with them two nerds with the pony tails, and then that grey haired quim, felt like WWE. just unfunny no marks. Why do I care? Because of youtube? What? I'm gonna watch raw next week, and I'm gonna mark out over the hurricane (had his poster on my wall when I was young), and then I'm probably just gonna watch whatever's going on in Leeds. Wrestling is officially shite unless in person.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2019, 10:44:31 am »
SID WILL BE ON RAW NEXT WEEK

Fist bumps for all.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2019, 11:24:28 pm »
Fist bumps for all.

"WHOSTHEMAN!?!"

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2019, 11:35:12 pm »
Austin as well!

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2019, 04:13:02 pm »
Why is that? Whats the occasion next week?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2019, 04:19:14 pm »
Why is that? Whats the occasion next week?

"Raw Reunion" no idea why in particular. I'd like Austin to do more than just Stun Shane at the start.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #229 on: July 18, 2019, 08:31:02 pm »
"Raw Reunion" no idea why in particular. I'd like Austin to do more than just Stun Shane at the start.

May get a proper stunner and not the botched ones by Kevin Owens each week!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 18, 2019, 08:50:01 pm »
CM Punk announced for Starrcast. Probably just to sell a few t-shirts and autographs but maybe dipping his toe back into wrestling

Also talk that NXT might air on Fox (not the main FOX cannel) along with Smackdown

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: July 18, 2019, 09:05:01 pm »
CM Punk announced for Starrcast. Probably just to sell a few t-shirts and autographs but maybe dipping his toe back into wrestling

He was there for All In too because it was based in Chicago. He turns up when he can to make a quick buck with the merch and autographs as you say.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 18, 2019, 09:18:04 pm »

Also talk that NXT might air on Fox (not the main FOX cannel) along with Smackdown

Yeah FS1, potentially opposite AEW.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2019, 08:11:43 am »

My prediction would be Austin stunning Vince and Owens stunning Shane.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2019, 04:33:30 pm »
My prediction would be Austin stunning Vince and Owens stunning Shane.

Speaking of which, since 1998 have WWE genuinely had any other main story for a top babyface other than "The McMahons don't want him to be champion so he must battle their odds"?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2019, 05:18:34 pm »

Speaking of which, since 1998 have WWE genuinely had any other main story for a top babyface other than "The McMahons don't want him to be champion so he must battle their odds"?

Yes.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2019, 08:51:36 pm »
Well that Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley match vs Ishii was amazing from today.  Cut from the same cloth as Mike Awesome v Masato Tanaka from late 90s ECW.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: July 23, 2019, 03:47:04 am »
Not sure how much control Paul has over this particular Raw but it's moving at a really good pace for a three hour wrestling show on tv.

Legends are mostly being used with the new talent too, which is a thing they should have been doing forever.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: July 23, 2019, 09:08:29 am »
There are only so many more times WWE can pull that card though. This was one of their better attempts (the RAW 25th anniversary last year being an example of how poor they can be). You dont want to bury existing talent by harking back to the good old days of the Attitude era or wheeling out the old favourites for 'one more go'.

From my understanding, this wasn't a Vince decision to do this kind of show, it was the TV company (and by association probably Paul Heyman).

Always nice seeing Scott Hall make an appearance though (God bless DDP yoga).

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: July 23, 2019, 11:53:42 am »
I feel bad for Rollins in a way because he worked so hard in 2018 to get back to a high level, but they've totally ruined him once more in 2019. Now this (he doesn't help himself sometimes of course).

Their top babyface doesn't have any mates

He also apaprently cut a promo where he called Brock a 'Seth Rollins-wannabe'. Every single person on the WWE roster wishes they were Brock Lesnar. Earlier this week Masvidal was challenging him to a UFC fight (along with Cormier last year?). Who is writing this stupid shit for them??

EDIT: oh god apparently he referred to Moxley leaving as 'taking food off of my table'. The reason why everyone in WWE is suddenly getting paid a shit ton more money than they were a year ago is because guys like Moxley and Cody are leaving and started up AEW and creating competition.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:02:16 pm by OsirisMVZ »