Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
The Orville
« on: February 28, 2019, 11:45:46 pm »
Just did a search for this and was surprised to find that it didn’t have a thread!

I have been watching it from the beginning, but the episode that just aired in the UK (season 2, episode 8 ) was absolutely brilliant. One of the best sci-fi episodes of anything that I’ve seen in a while.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Orville
« Reply #1 on: March 1, 2019, 12:04:44 am »
Just did a search for this and was surprised to find that it didn’t have a thread!

I have been watching it from the beginning, but the episode that just aired in the UK (season 2, episode 8 ) was absolutely brilliant. One of the best sci-fi episodes of anything that I’ve seen in a while.

It is corny and wooden but I enjoy it all the same.It's certainly not one of the best or even close to the best sc-fi at anything though,wasn;t even the best episode of sc-fi to air last Thursday,the Discovery episode was much,much better.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 1, 2019, 07:00:07 am »

It is corny and wooden but I enjoy it all the same.It's certainly not one of the best or even close to the best sc-fi at anything though,wasn;t even the best episode of sc-fi to air last Thursday,the Discovery episode was much,much better.

Yes it is corny, but that’s the idea. Like all shows, it has filler episodes, but the last one was brilliant in my opinion. It went right out of its comfort zone.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3 on: March 1, 2019, 07:07:36 am »
I started posting Orville updates in the Star Trek thread as I thought it would appeal, but people barely responded to anything in S2 so I stopped a few weeks ago. Personally I couldn't stand Discovery and gave up 3-4 episodes in so have no grounds for comparison any more.

I'm not going to comment further until I've watched yesterday's episode later tonight as it seems like it'll be quite the landmark!
« Last Edit: March 1, 2019, 09:18:31 am by Riquende »
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: March 1, 2019, 08:37:50 am »
Really liked S1 but haven't got round to watching any of S2 yet. Might let the series finish then have a binge of the whole lot.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 1, 2019, 11:10:42 am »
Season 2 is darn good. The double-part episode shown over the last two weeks was the best yet, I think. They’ve balanced out the comedy and it was a great storyline tackling, among other things, identity, AI, race and slavery. I don’t like Star Trek, so I’m not approaching it with any such comparison. Definitely worth a watch. Great effects too.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 1, 2019, 01:04:14 pm »
I started posting Orville updates in the Star Trek thread as I thought it would appeal, but people barely responded to anything in S2 so I stopped a few weeks ago. Personally I couldn't stand Discovery and gave up 3-4 episodes in so have no grounds for comparison any more.

I'm not going to comment further until I've watched yesterday's episode later tonight as it seems like it'll be quite the landmark!

I enjoyed season 1 of Discovery, but haven’t seen any of season 2.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #7 on: March 1, 2019, 09:03:35 pm »
Yep. That's the sound of The Orville moving up a level.

Probably the first episode without any obvious gags or light hearted moments, but I guess they got them out of the way in part 1 to clear the schedule for the huge epic space battle we saw here.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 7, 2019, 03:58:12 pm »
Yep. That's the sound of The Orville moving up a level.

Probably the first episode without any obvious gags or light hearted moments, but I guess they got them out of the way in part 1 to clear the schedule for the huge epic space battle we saw here.

Really looking forward to part 2 later. Though I’ve been up since 1:30am after only 2 hours kip, so I will probably be asleep.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 08:37:57 am »
I have to say, this second season has been really enjoyable.  Just finished episode ten, which I thought was a really good counterpoint to the two-parter in that it (Ep. 10) was more personal in nature, rather than the more grandiose scale of the previous two episodes and was nicely written and executed.   

The' hook' for me to start watching this show was the comedy aspect that was emphasized in the season one trailer.  Anyone who's been watching the show though will be aware that the comedy has been really minimal in season two relative to the first season and I think that it's all the better for it.   I think that they've found a nice balance.  Overall I think that The Orville stands up as an enjoyable sci-fi show regardless of any comedic value and is - in my opinion - a fitting tribute to Seth's love of 'old school' Star Trek, whilst at the same time having enough originality to be good tele on it's own merits. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:40:27 am by Darren G »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 04:25:56 pm »
That space battle was epic absurd AF. ;D

I jumped into watching this show on season 2, i haven't even seen any of the first season.

I went in thinking it was slapstick piss take of Star Trek but it's a fun show, the last few episodes have been fantastic, the one with the people oppressed for being born on a certain month and the double episode with the Kaylons was really well done.

My only gripe for the show is that little kid, he's irritating.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 05:31:00 pm »
Anyone who's been watching the show though will be aware that the comedy has been really minimal in season two relative to the first season and I think that it's all the better for it

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 11:48:40 am »

;D  As I said, minimal "relative to the first season", which had gags almost continuously.  On that note:
Spoiler
Bordus smoking on the bridge in episode 11 gave me a good laugh.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:51:45 am by Darren G »

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 03:33:01 am »
  ;D  As I said, minimal "relative to the first season", which had gags almost continuously.  On that note:
Spoiler
Bordus smoking on the bridge in episode 11 gave me a good laugh.
[close]

He's right, I said to the Mrs a few episodes into this season that it wasn't trying to be a comedy anymore it had gone more serious drama

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 09:11:26 am »
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the-orville-renewed-season-3-fox-1203188078/

Season 3 confirmed! Excellent news, there'll be a Star Trek-style show on TV for the foreseeable future.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 10:42:02 am »
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the-orville-renewed-season-3-fox-1203188078/

Season 3 confirmed! Excellent news, there'll be a Star Trek-style show on TV for the foreseeable future.

We're going to have 4 Star Trek shows a year soon

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 10:57:27 am »
We're going to have 4 Star Trek shows a year soon

Hahaha... no. Not for me Clive.

No way am I even taking 5 minutes out of my day to watch how badly CBS can screw up an iconic character like Picard.

The main annoyance is that Patrick Stewart doing that show probably puts paid to the idea of him guesting on the Orville, which would have been amazing (my dream episode would have been him and Shatner facing off as legendary rival Union captains).

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 11:00:25 am »
The last season of Discovery was brilliant.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 11:37:08 am »

It may well have been (the internet is awash with differing opinions on that), but I'll never know. I want to watch a show that captures the spirit of the Star Trek I enjoyed as a kid. Luckily, one exists.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 11:58:36 am »

I enjoyed this season, but it was really no more than good. Suffering from many of the same issues from the first season with a lack of any real character development besides Michael (the sudden backstory for Airiam was hamfisted and embarassingly bad writing to be quite honest) and too much focus on one central plot which meandered along for far too long. The best episode of the series was by Jonathan Frankes. More of that and I might start to give the show more credit. I'm judging it against the very best in season 3 of The Expanse though, which I just finished. A show that is the absolute best in the genre right now and completely blows Discovery out of the water for storytelling, character development, and just about everything besides CGI. So perhaps unfair of me.

Anyway, I love The Orville for completely different reasons to the above two shows. Personally, I've become quite tired of the modern obsession for overarching plots vs the more traditional episodic shows. The best TV tends to combine the two. That's why I picked out Frakes' episode of Discovery, as it worked in itself as a contained episode that I could just enjoy for what it was - an excellent piece of sci-fi storytelling. The shift towards arcs makes perfect sense in the Netflix generation with so much content at our fingertips. It's necessary to hook people in and keep them watching with cliff hangers and the promise of some mind-bending resolution in the future. But I think this has caused oversaturation and the stretching out of plots that are not worthy of a whole season. Don't get me wrong, there are some very fine examples of shows that use arching plot lines and I'm not criticizing those. I just don't feel the writing quite matches the ambition of Discovery versus a show like The Expanse.

Conversely, The Orville is at the other end of the spectrum. Fun, lighthearted, good sci-fi concepts contained in one off episodes. Reminsiscent of early Star Trek, which is obviously why it has built up such a big following. Although this latest season had an ongoing arc with Isaac, which I also loved and shows how The Orville is evolving. So I'm very excited to see where it goes in Season 3. Far more than Discovery to be honest.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 12:50:39 am »

'The Orville: New Horizons - Season 3 Trailer':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dKCILxahpv4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dKCILxahpv4</a>

^ starts on 2nd June.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 06:55:58 am »
'The Orville: New Horizons - Season 3 Trailer':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dKCILxahpv4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dKCILxahpv4</a>

^ starts on 2nd June.

Thanks mate,excited about this  :)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2022, 07:54:55 am »
Who’s playing Keith Harris?

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2022, 10:46:12 am »

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 11:42:58 am »
Really want to catch this. Mainly because Norm MacDonald is involved, however small his part may be.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 12:14:51 pm »
I loved this sneek peek of the new series they released a while back loved them showing the battle then the camera pans to inside the ship and what's going on inside.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/m2dcVdNJtSQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/m2dcVdNJtSQ</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2022, 03:47:35 pm »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2022, 04:14:13 pm »
:D

Are they Orville’s real feet or have you photoshopped in baked beans? Never noticed them before.

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2022, 04:26:49 pm »

Are they Orville’s real feet or have you photoshopped in baked beans? Never noticed them before.
haha funny ya say that cos i was wondering aboot them n all. Looks like Ben Stillers Franks n Beans caught in his zip

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2022, 04:34:39 pm »
haha funny ya say that cos i was wondering aboot them n all. Looks like Ben Stillers Franks n Beans caught in his zip

How the hell d’ya get the beans about the Frank?

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2022, 04:42:50 pm »

How the hell d’ya get the beans about the Frank?
Ill still laught at that despite you making a right cats arse of the quote ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2022, 04:47:24 pm »
Ill still laught at that despite you making a right cats arse of the quote ;D

I really did. Above/aboot you know what I meant.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #32 on: July 1, 2022, 01:16:55 am »
I've been lax in getting this thread back up and running, 5 episodes in to the new season now. I blame the lacklustre start... but I couldn't let the week pass without at least some mention of the episode featuring of a song everyone on here should know. Sadly I can't find a clip yet.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #33 on: July 1, 2022, 02:35:32 am »

^ a short 40 second clip here, mate - https://twitter.com/Keith_Sav/status/1542531036306968577

It was also played as a background theme during the end scenes of the above episode too (S03xE05 - 'A Tale of Two Topas')

« Last Edit: July 1, 2022, 03:29:32 am by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #34 on: July 1, 2022, 06:58:54 am »
Much better rendering in this series !

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #35 on: July 1, 2022, 09:08:28 am »
^ a short 40 second clip here, mate - https://twitter.com/Keith_Sav/status/1542531036306968577

It was also played as a background theme during the end scenes of the above episode too (S03xE05 - 'A Tale of Two Topas')

Eeeeh by 'eck. Cracking!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #36 on: July 1, 2022, 01:04:22 pm »
Now struggling to get through these, especially compared to New Worlds

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 1, 2022, 03:44:29 pm »
Orville started off funny, comical and taking a light hearted approach to the Star Trek genre, but they seemed to have changed and the last series/episodes have become more serious and taken a more topical approach to the show. I don't think it'll work, or i cant see myself continuing watching these too longer in the current format

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #38 on: July 1, 2022, 06:16:55 pm »
Orville started off funny, comical and taking a light hearted approach to the Star Trek genre...

This week's episode was a direct continuation, and exploring the same themes, of the third episode of season 1. It's always been this sort of show, mixing a serious TNG-style theme with some of McFarlane's regular humour, usually in a B-plot or just random interactions between the crew whilst the story plays out.

When it was announced, what people expected was a primarily-funny show (Galaxy Quest style) but it wasn't ever that and disappointed a lot of folk when it first aired.

What has changed since the early days is that Hulu are going to make fewer episodes but increase the runtime, which seems like a mistake to me based on this week. I thought it was dragging a bit so checked how far into the episode we were and was surprised to find it was 50 minutes in, but shocked to see another 25 minutes to go.

It was also incredible how they set every element up for a fun B-plot to relieve the gravity of the main story - in the cold open we literally saw an alien pyramid and treasure room, with mention of booby traps - and then it was only used as a device to move characters about so that certain conversations could happen. It's astonishing they couldn't find 10-15 minutes of the runtime to have less moping Topa walking around the ship, and more 'landing party accidentally flips a switch and has to Indiana Jones it', or even have Gordon explain Egyptian mummies to Isaac and set up some sort of ghost story/prank.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 1, 2022, 09:34:38 pm »
Oh I remember the episode, but the earlier seasons had serious plots interspersed with comedy, whereas now, just seems to become too serious and no different to the other shows. The very thing that set it aside from the other shows was the light hearted Seth McFarlane approach

Another annoying thing is they seem quite happy to talk about culture, diversity and the federation, but quite insistent that aliens conform to their values