Author Topic: Draft Towers  (Read 320054 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Draft Towers
« Reply #5520 on: June 22, 2022, 09:49:17 am »
Some of those names are amazing, some proper flops. I reckon with hindsight, Betty or LMM win.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5521 on: June 22, 2022, 09:54:08 am »
Fun to look back at those. I’d do another.

Delle Alli first pick. Followed by Mbappe. :D

What a fall from Grace to now be warming the Everton bench.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #5522 on: June 22, 2022, 10:00:56 am »
A new U23 draft based on current players is a good idea.

That list Sheer posted has some great shouts but also plenty of absolute whoppers. A fun one to look back on.

I reckon based on now, LMM or Gerry have the best teams out of that. Betty’s is decent too. Some start brilliantly then tail off horribly, including players I don’t even remember.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 10:03:17 am by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5523 on: June 22, 2022, 10:06:24 am »
Ward
Jedvaj Christensen Chilwell
Ndidi Calhanoglu Woodburn
Alli
Berardi Bailey Gray

Fuck knows what I was even attempting there. One CB, one CM, three AMs, three wingers, no strikers.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5524 on: June 22, 2022, 10:06:52 am »
Surely if you are going to do a new u23 draft, you should make it a Jay Spearing Draft and include one player over 30 playing outside the top divisions.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5525 on: June 22, 2022, 10:08:07 am »
Ward
Alli
Berardi Bailey Gray

Fuck knows what I was even attempting there. One CB, one CM, three AMs, three wingers, no strikers.

Wow, this is a disaster just ignoring how the players chosen have developed :o
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5526 on: June 22, 2022, 10:15:00 am »
I was thinking more of a general draft for players right now. I don't know if I can be bothered scouring international U21 teams' Wikipedia pages for right backs again.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5527 on: June 22, 2022, 10:56:32 am »
Dele Alli  :lmao

Some of those names are amazing, some proper flops. I reckon with hindsight, Betty or LMM win.

I was robbed! To be fair, Lawnmo and I were at a small advantage as we both played Soccer Manager at the time, which is basically a game of who can accrue the best youth team possible.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5528 on: June 22, 2022, 11:03:58 am »
Ward
Alli
Berardi Bailey Gray

This is what you were going for apparently  :D

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:06:58 am by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5529 on: June 22, 2022, 11:05:06 am »
That looks a lot better actually, should have won. Good Leicester connection at the back, nice successful Everton players in midfield

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5530 on: June 22, 2022, 11:06:37 am »
I don’t think that’s too bad to be fair! Alli was a hit property at the time. Obviously there were hopes for Woodbury that haven’t materialised. A few have kicked in to have decent careers.

I think I opted out because I know it would be too much like hard work.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5531 on: June 22, 2022, 11:07:15 am »
That looks a lot better actually, should have won. Good Leicester connection at the back, nice successful Everton players in midfield

That was actually Melbred trying to decipher how you might set up. You seemed to be AWOL. Perhaps either you'd pissed off the Welsh or were too embarrassed to post again.

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5532 on: June 22, 2022, 11:49:24 am »
Looks fine to me

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5533 on: June 22, 2022, 12:08:27 pm »
I think we've got enough traction out of taking the piss out of my shocking team :D

Whats next then? Just normal modern day? Nice and quick and easy

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5534 on: June 22, 2022, 12:09:19 pm »
"El Lobo draft"

Everyone has to draft a team that fits into this shape:

Looks fine to me

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5535 on: June 22, 2022, 12:11:12 pm »
Could mix it up with the next one, away from a traditional snake draft. Happy to try put together a sheep draft, modern day players.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5536 on: June 22, 2022, 12:17:19 pm »
I think we've got enough traction out of taking the piss out of my shocking team :D

Whats next then? Just normal modern day? Nice and quick and easy

Maybe some kind of twist would be nice. Like 11 from 11? It felt like people were getting bored of the standard format drafts. Definitely need a rest after the headfuck of the last one, but don't want to go too far the other way and have everyone lose interest again.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5537 on: June 22, 2022, 12:36:34 pm »
Could mix it up with the next one, away from a traditional snake draft. Happy to try put together a sheep draft, modern day players.

Yeah wouldn't mind another sheep draft, haven't done one for ages

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5538 on: June 22, 2022, 12:48:30 pm »
In for a sheep draft.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5539 on: June 22, 2022, 01:49:56 pm »
Yeah wouldn't mind another sheep draft, haven't done one for ages

I think the last sheep draft we did I picked Antonio Cassano up front so definitely got some room for improvement I think.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5540 on: June 22, 2022, 02:01:22 pm »
In my defence, I picked Lindelof when he was at Benfica and hadn't exposed himself to the world as the fraud of a defender he currently is.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5541 on: June 22, 2022, 07:07:26 pm »
In my defence, I picked Lindelof when he was at Benfica and hadn't exposed himself to the world as the fraud of a defender he currently is.

And what's your excuse for picking Ihenacho?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5542 on: June 22, 2022, 07:22:32 pm »
And what's your excuse for picking Ihenacho?
I was drunk.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5543 on: June 22, 2022, 07:35:49 pm »
I was drunk.

;D

Tell you what, 4 did alright:

Lukaku, Weigl, Fabinho, Stones, Cancelo, Gnabry, Ryan Sessegnon, Pjaca, Lemons, Onana, Williams

No idea who Lemons is though.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5544 on: June 22, 2022, 07:49:34 pm »
;D

Tell you what, 4 did alright:

Lukaku, Weigl, Fabinho, Stones, Cancelo, Gnabry, Ryan Sessegnon, Pjaca, Lemons, Onana, Williams

No idea who Lemons is though.
Yep, he did. Should be a scout that guy.

Think it was probably Mauricio Lemos, an Uruguayan defender who looked to be the dogs bollocks for a while at Cadiz, but turned up to be just bollocks.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5545 on: June 22, 2022, 11:52:23 pm »
Nothing to do with the current draft but just seen this pic on my timeline.  8) Should post it to Desert Red.  ;D

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #5546 on: June 25, 2022, 09:20:45 am »
I think the last sheep draft we did I picked Antonio Cassano up front so definitely got some room for improvement I think.
Had focaccia and donuts never been invented, Messi wouldn’t have half his ballon d’ors - They’d be in Cassano’s cabinet.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5547 on: July 21, 2022, 03:04:50 pm »
Just to change the mood around here a bit. What if we make a 90's movie draft? You got to pick 7 movies, on 7 different genres or categories. Then, if people liked it, we can do the other decades.

Who's in?

Lin, I guess you're tall enough to enjoy cinema?  :D

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5548 on: July 21, 2022, 04:04:47 pm »
Just to change the mood around here a bit. What if we make a 90's movie draft? You got to pick 7 movies, on 7 different genres or categories. Then, if people liked it, we can do the other decades.

Who's in?

Yeah thats a pretty cool idea, you might need to branch out to the media threads though, most of the normal drafters can only focus on football and occasionally cricket (Betty was saying his favourite film is Pluto Nash)

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5549 on: July 21, 2022, 04:19:31 pm »
Yeah thats a pretty cool idea, you might need to branch out to the media threads though, most of the normal drafters can only focus on football and occasionally cricket (Betty was saying his favourite film is Pluto Nash)

I'm more a 'The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension' man, myself.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5550 on: July 21, 2022, 04:25:50 pm »
I'm more a 'The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension' man, myself.

The film centres upon the efforts of the polymath Dr. Buckaroo Banzai, a physicist, neurosurgeon, test pilot, and rock star, to save the world by defeating a band of inter-dimensional aliens called Red Lectroids from Planet 10.

Sounds good to me! 80s though, unluckeee

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5551 on: July 21, 2022, 04:48:57 pm »
Always up for a 90s anything draft. How about this proviso? Once you've picked a film, the actors and director are off the table for you for future picks.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5552 on: July 21, 2022, 05:12:30 pm »
Yeah, was thinking it will be probably be necessary to branch out over there to reach the numbers. Hopefully, Andy Allerton will be curious.

Always up for a 90s anything draft. How about this proviso? Once you've picked a film, the actors and director are off the table for you for future picks.
That's a cool idea. Would have to be the lead actors though.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5553 on: July 21, 2022, 05:13:22 pm »
Sounds good to me! 80s though, unluckeee
We're going 80s next. So save that pick Betts.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5554 on: July 21, 2022, 05:18:06 pm »
Probably an outlandish suggestion, but I'd love it if we banned the IMDB top 250 (or at least the top 100). Each time we've done a movie draft on here the finalists have just been a who's who of all the most obvious great films. Would be nice if we saw some variation. Plenty of great films outside of that list.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5555 on: July 21, 2022, 05:38:02 pm »
Probably an outlandish suggestion, but I'd love it if we banned the IMDB top 250 (or at least the top 100). Each time we've done a movie draft on here the finalists have just been a who's who of all the most obvious great films. Would be nice if we saw some variation. Plenty of great films outside of that list.
As a film buff, I would love that, but I think it will be a very hard sell for most casual cinema fans, which we'll need to run this. I think if we get enough people involved, and creative enough with the rules, we will probably see more interesting picks than normal. Sheer's suggestion for example.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5556 on: July 21, 2022, 05:44:51 pm »
I like the non-top 250 suggestion as well, though I was thinking all actors. It'll give some spice to the late rounds and we won't have to spend time arguing about who's a lead and who isn't. Either idea would make things more interesting.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 05:59:58 pm by Sheer Magnetism »

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5557 on: July 21, 2022, 05:49:22 pm »
Who's in?

Out! I don't like movies. Even at six years old I protested successfully to have a cinema trip cancelled :D Since that was in the 90s that makes it even better of a story.
Linudden.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5558 on: July 21, 2022, 05:50:49 pm »

I was probably in until I saw this.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5559 on: July 21, 2022, 06:01:46 pm »

Who's in?

Great idea mate, I'd be up for that :)