Author Topic: Bloodborne PS4  (Read 22435 times)

Offline Newman96

• Look into his eyes. Pure evil.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Bloodborne PS4
« Reply #120 on: April 5, 2015, 09:30:38 pm »
Anyone beaten Ebrietas? Only optional boss I've got left but she's fucking infuriating.  :butt

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: April 6, 2015, 02:33:08 am »
So got this off my auld fella the other day, been to shitscared to play it though!

Any tips for a completely beginner beside learning the move set of enemies and get the timing to dodge right?

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #122 on: April 6, 2015, 07:59:11 am »
So got this off my auld fella the other day, been to shitscared to play it though!

Any tips for a completely beginner beside learning the move set of enemies and get the timing to dodge right?

I think the biggest thing is to try, at a very early stage, to get the "parry" down. Try it against weaker  enemies, before moving the same idea onto the bigger ones. And that idea is to wait for them to start an attack animation then shoot them (L2), if you time it properly they will fall to their knees, then move in and press R1 for the follow up. This will serve you well for starters! Good luck  :wave

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: April 6, 2015, 11:48:35 am »

take your time and don't go steaming into areas you don't know, play in online mode as well so you can see notes left by other players and avoid ambushes etc

don't get greedy if you're fighting something that you can't kill with 1 or 2 shots, get a couple of hits in then back out and let stamina recover instead of trying to go for the kill then finding yourself out of stamina and unable to dodge

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: April 7, 2015, 12:54:17 pm »

Basic run through of the stats and what they do:

Vitality = Health/Survivability. A key stat. Don't neglect this early on as it could make the difference between bosses/bigger enemies 1 or 2 shotting you.

Stamina - this governs how many times you can - swing your weapon/roll/dash/run - another key stat.

Strength/Skill/Bloodtinge/Arcane = offensive stats. As you level these they will increase the damage you do with the associated weapons (can be seen by the letters on the weapon stats)

Combat

Whichever weapon you pick, learn its moveset. What the standard R1/R2 combos are, how the attacks change when combined with dash/roll/backstep/run/jump - amount of attacks you can get out of your stamina bar

Manage your stamina bar during combat. no stamina = no life saving roll.

Learn enemies attack patterns

Try to lure individual enemies/smaller groups away using guns/pebbles.

Learn the basic "souls" tactic of keep you distance, bait an attack, counter & kill.

General

Explore. Explore. Explore. You can do and see loads in the first area without ever fighting a boss. Make your first goal to find a shortcut to reduce the distance you have to run to fight the boss each time. I think there are 4/5 shortcuts available before the first boss.

Read item descriptions - there's more story contained within, but may also give a key to making something easier/simpler.

Look out for red lanterns (incense burners I think) as these indicate doors/windows that house NPCs. Some of these will lead to additional quests/items/storylines..

Would recommend watching Epicnamebro on youtube. Excellent videos, but obviously contain spoilers...

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: April 7, 2015, 01:30:57 pm »
yeah keep an eye out for the red lanterns, the game tells you fuck all so you're more than likely to just run past unless you accidentally get close enough for "press x to talk" to pop up

some are pointless but others are either npc's who you can move to safe areas then get stuff off or give you items, one is near the start and will give you a flamethrower type weapon if you talk to him then go back and talk to him again once you open up the cathedral ward, another in the first area will give you an item which makes father gascoigne a bit easier

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: April 7, 2015, 05:57:55 pm »
Cheers, started last night and got to a point in the first area where i fought some fat fucker with a giant meat cleaver. Safe to say, 2 hits and i was dead, lost 2000+ Blood echoes got killed on the way back to get them and lost the lot.

Great game but so difficult! Thanks for the heads up about the red lanterns, was wondering what they were for.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #127 on: April 7, 2015, 07:27:36 pm »
Selling this for Ł35 if anyone is interested bought it yesterday but cant get on to it :(

Liverpool area

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2015, 05:43:14 pm »
From Reddit:

One of the best games ever made?

So, I might be speaking to the choir here but, I have been posting on a retro video game site that I have belonged to for over 8 years. I'm trying to convince these people to play this game. I just Platinumed Bloodborne and would argue that it is an instant classic.
What I had to say:
No, I am not going to STFU about Bloodborne. =)
I have never had so much fun screaming four letter words as I have had in the last two weeks playing this game. At the same time, I am pissed off about how much time and sleep this game has deprived me of, but also saddened by the fact that it is over (well sort of there are a number of unanswered questions and secrets others and myself are still obsessing over).
This game is nothing short of brilliance. Never has a game came closer to the feelings I had when getting my NES for Christmas and playing Super Mario Bros. for the first time back when I was seven years old. It is that good. I remember raising the controller in the air in attempts to get Mario to jump when playing Super Mario Bros. as my first game (don't lie, you did this too). I found myself doing the same playing Bloodborne with little to no sleep many times.
I am trying to not be biased, but I honestly can't find anything wrong with this game and I am also saddened because I fear that nothing will come close to being as immersive and groundbreaking for a long time to come. Many people appear to feel the same way.
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/240839/Bloodborne_You_are_the_experience_points.php
It is a long read but...
Even if you hate these types of games, or have had some bad experiences with the Souls games or whatever, this game is worth a second look/chance.
This by far the best game I have ever played. It is chess (or MTG with a chess timer) ramped up to crazy. I am baffled by how calculated and meticulously designed this game is and how it is an actual thing. F*ck you From Software, you won...
Am I overstating how good this game is?

The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2015, 07:26:04 pm »
I'm enjoying it so much and ive only got to the bsb lol.

Everything about the game is great, it's challenging, the art and way it's set is brilliant, enemies are unique, it has an aura like resi 4 did. Your apprehensive, you don't wanna go any further but at the same time you can't help yourself. There's so many routes and shortcuts that almost blow your mind, the way the world was constructed and completely interlocked.

It's a masterpiece.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2015, 01:20:03 pm »
I'm enjoying it so much and ive only got to the bsb lol.

Everything about the game is great, it's challenging, the art and way it's set is brilliant, enemies are unique, it has an aura like resi 4 did. Your apprehensive, you don't wanna go any further but at the same time you can't help yourself. There's so many routes and shortcuts that almost blow your mind, the way the world was constructed and completely interlocked.

It's a masterpiece.

Have you played Dark Souls? If you've enjoyed this, would recommend re-visiting that...

I love the level design. It's so rewarding. Taking the time to scout an area with the telescope, carefully looking for alternate routes etc pay off in a big way. Lost count the amount of time I've got the drop on an enemy or found an easier route through a stage of an area, dodged a trap, found an item - all through looking around and being aware of surroundings, rather than rushing in.

That said, fact that you can rush in, and two-hand swing a f*cking huge axe twice and wipe out about 7 bad guys is a thing of beauty that never gets old.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2015, 01:30:02 pm »
Taking the plunge and going to pick this up later on. Most of the people on my PSN alone seem to be playing this!

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2015, 01:32:15 pm »
Got Demon's Souls for a few quid on PS3 some days ago... really enjoying the story and atmosphere and everything, but trying to get used to it and get better at it. If it hooks me and I get loads of enjoyment out of it, I'll probably then dive into the Dark Souls sequels, and eventually grab this when it comes down in price.

Can defo see from Demon's that From put loads of love into it all. The setting and everything is fantastic, beautifully realised. Real Boy's Own adventure stuff, like Shadow of the Collossus.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2015, 06:35:28 pm »
got my first invasion today in the nightmare area (can't remember it's name) kicked his ass anyway   :evil

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2015, 01:08:12 pm »
Stuck on Rom The Vacuous Spider. Spent all my Insight trying to get him down. Without him, you can't progress through the game. So I'm pretty much fucked. Can do the boring Chalice dungeons for Insight, but even then, it is a lottery as to the quality of the co-op person I can find to help me.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2015, 01:14:44 pm »
Stuck on Rom The Vacuous Spider. Spent all my Insight trying to get him down. Without him, you can't progress through the game. So I'm pretty much fucked. Can do the boring Chalice dungeons for Insight, but even then, it is a lottery as to the quality of the co-op person I can find to help me.

Patience is massively key for the fight. It's about moving quick, luring the small spiders away from Rom, rolling in to him, hitting him a few times and then moving away again before the spiders surround you.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2015, 01:48:16 pm »
Patience is massively key for the fight. It's about moving quick, luring the small spiders away from Rom, rolling in to him, hitting him a few times and then moving away again before the spiders surround you.
Cheers mate. I'll keep persisting for a bit. But close to ragequiting...

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2015, 01:49:41 pm »
Use the tonitrus (sp?) if you can, if not take 3 or 4 bolt paper and use it with your regular weapon, don't bother wasting bolt paper on the small spiders in the 1st phase

Spoiler
1st phase it won't attack you so take your time and kill the small spiders, easiest way is to pick them off from the ends instead of wading into the middle, after the first phase just forget about trying to kill them

For rom just try and get behind him during the 1st phase and use r1 attacks then once he starts to disappear try and get as many r2 attacks in as possible, after that it's a case of not getting greedy, keep moving and dodging then try and get alongside him and get a couple of hits in before backing out, always keep an eye on your stamina if you can't dodge then you're fucked, two handing the hunters axe works well especially the L2 attack as it'll take care of any small spiders near you as well
[close]

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2015, 01:53:40 pm »
Use the tonitrus (sp?) if you can, if not take 3 or 4 bolt paper and use it with your regular weapon, don't bother wasting bolt paper on the small spiders in the 1st phase

Spoiler
1st phase it won't attack you so take your time and kill the small spiders, easiest way is to pick them off from the ends instead of wading into the middle, after the first phase just forget about trying to kill them

For rom just try and get behind him during the 1st phase and use r1 attacks then once he starts to disappear try and get as many r2 attacks in as possible, after that it's a case of not getting greedy, keep moving and dodging then try and get alongside him and get a couple of hits in before backing out, always keep an eye on your stamina if you can't dodge then you're fucked, two handing the hunters axe works well especially the L2 attack as it'll take care of any small spiders near you as well
[close]

Cheers mate. I +6 the Tonitrus just for the damned fight. My best efforts have been using the Hunter's Axe as you suggested. It is just those damned Arcane attacks that he does...Plus my SKL build and lack of VIT ain't helping. I'm actually a higher level then I should be at this stage, yet still struggling (level 70).

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2015, 02:10:36 pm »
With low vit you're gonna have to be on the move all the time, use the axe with bolt paper, don't lock on and get 1 or 2 L2 attacks in depending on stamina then get out, just be patient and don't get greedy even when it's down to its last sliver of health, might be worth doing a couple of farming runs and put a couple of points into vit and end unless you're aiming for a specific build, the area before the witches of hemwick should be good at your level, think you get around 35k for a run which takes a few mins plus plenty of vials

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2015, 07:24:34 am »
Has anyone had much joy trying to summon and be susummoned in the dungeons yet? I can't get it working. I have my settings on worldwide, but still nothing...

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2015, 02:01:23 am »
Got this yesterday.

Alright I'll just come out and say it. This is stupidly hard. Is it normal to die hundreds of times at the first checkpoint in Central Yharnam?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2015, 03:06:49 am »
Got this yesterday.

Alright I'll just come out and say it. This is stupidly hard. Is it normal to die hundreds of times at the first checkpoint in Central Yharnam?

no it's not unless you're dumb ;)

take your time and try an lure enemies out 1 or 2 at a time, if you go steaming in you'll get killed, one of the most important things is to keep an eye on your stamina as it's not like games where you can keep throwing out combos, instead look to get 2 or 3 hits in then dodge out of the way and let your stamina recover, only go for it if you're 100% sure you can kill whatever you're fighting

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2015, 07:04:12 am »
Got this yesterday.

It's not uncommon

Firstly it's important to time your parry to stun and also your roll. These for me are the two most important aspects, once you get these down the game becomes alot easier.

Some enemies you will have trouble defeating quickly, once you learn the ability to level up your health and stamina things also get easier. But it's a really rewarding game once you crack it, it just clicks and it feels so satisfying .

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2015, 09:29:16 am »
Got this yesterday.

Half the fun, also learn to draw out the enemies in ones and twos, try not to go charging in, make use of the environment. As Upinsmoke said, parry is a key part of the game, once you get the rhythm, you'll sale through it (well upto the bosses anyway ;)).

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2015, 12:26:16 pm »
Cheers for the help guys. I will definitely not be giving up, because the game itself looks incredible. That's why I'm frustrated, I just want to see more of it!

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2015, 01:51:52 am »
Finished the game last night. Amazing game!

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2015, 08:26:50 am »
Still not finished this. I'm probably only a third if the way through

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2016, 09:37:36 pm »
Finished the main game and DLC yesterday. Think I enjoyed it more than Miyazaki's Soul games. Beautiful artwork, and perhaps the best fighting mechanics to date. Pity it is PS4 only.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2016, 08:56:52 am »
Finished the main game and DLC yesterday. Think I enjoyed it more than Miyazaki's Soul games. Beautiful artwork, and perhaps the best fighting mechanics to date. Pity it is PS4 only.

the dlc any good?

i've not really bothered with this much since beating it, it's a great game and like you said the fighting mechanics are the best so far out of all miyazaki's games (plus ds2) but i just find the rpg side and the number of weapons to be really limited compared to the souls games so haven't had the urge to run through it again either in ng+ or a new save, i ended up getting hooked on ds2 again which i hated when it first came out on last gen but the scholar of the first sin edition on this gen & pc seems to have fixed a lot of my main gripes with it and is the game they should have released originally

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2016, 11:30:07 pm »
the dlc any good?

i've not really bothered with this much since beating it, it's a great game and like you said the fighting mechanics are the best so far out of all miyazaki's games (plus ds2) but i just find the rpg side and the number of weapons to be really limited compared to the souls games so haven't had the urge to run through it again either in ng+ or a new save, i ended up getting hooked on ds2 again which i hated when it first came out on last gen but the scholar of the first sin edition on this gen & pc seems to have fixed a lot of my main gripes with it and is the game they should have released originally
If you can get it cheap, worth it mate. Still a lot of traffic around for co-op. Four bosses and some new weapons to discover. Thing about BB, the mechanics are so juicy, you can have a long lay off from the game, and totally get back into it because of the fighting. Might help you tide over till DS3...;)

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2016, 12:24:52 pm »
Getting stuck on the fucking scenery, hemmed in and battered to a pulp by a Hunter you've killed with relative ease countless times before, on the long trek back to try to retrieve 60,000+ lost Blood Echoes, is not that nice a feeling, to be honest. The knowledge that that's it, they're gone forever now, still sticks in my craw no matter how acclimatised I get to how this game works. It's not even an especially large amount at the stage I'm at... but it's the manner of it happening, the inevitability of your luck running out so spectacularly, that still gets to me.

It's an absolutely stupendously good videogame, looks beautiful, everything has a real satisfying weight and crunch to it, and the return to death mattering sooooo much in videogames is a very welcome one really. But damn, does this game mess with you. It's almost a sadistic tease that you have this one chance to win back the fruits of all your labour, knowing from experience that one enemy back that way has it in for you, because you've dealt with them way too easily in the past. That one cunt who manages to draw you into a vulnerable spot and then take full advantage. Just that moment of horror when you realise you're done for, the shifts you put in to level up were all for nought. Evil, punishing, brilliant game design.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:26:24 pm by Haemoglobin »
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2016, 10:13:45 pm »
^ Nailed it!  ;D

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2016, 10:20:48 pm »

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2017, 10:58:09 am »
Hi All,

Reviving an old thread.

I just got this game because everyone has always talked about it being 10/10 BUT I am a total newb, I got it as a filler between Horizon and Mass Effect, seems interesting so far, I got the first weapon and gun and did Central Yarnham (sp?) and beat the people and the hounds as well as the two big burly guys, one has an axe and the other a big brick... but then whilst trying to find a new lantern I got killed by some wherewolves things on a bridge, any repeat of the situation results in the same outcome and I've lost my echoes and whatever... what gives? How do I save? HaHa, is it going back to the first lantern the only way to retain echoes/progress?

Anyway was gonna see if anyone fancied a co-op run through the game, I quite enjoy doing things that way and think would be fun so if anyone has completed it (seeing as it's old now) and facnies a co-op run with a newb let me know, I got headset and that.

I know you need a bell of sorts to summon players (from first boss I believe?)

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2017, 12:37:17 pm »
Key to the game is timing and dodge.

As for that part with the werewolves, there should be a house with stairs leading up or down depending where you enter, anyway the wolves won't enter but they'll still come up to the door, you can technically hammer away at them whilst your in the entertance to the house and they're outside. I don't fully remember the game that well but I know rolling and timing and using your gun to parry? Are really important.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2017, 04:57:06 pm »
Dodging is of course important. And like stated above, firing your gun when an enemy attacks will cause it to get stunned and if you press the attack button whilst it's stunned you will perform a strong attack. You save the game by just exiting through the menus, the game automatically remembers where you stopped.

Also regarding dodging, try to dodge to the left which is most of the bosses blindside.

And like always with the From Software games, git gud!  ;)

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2017, 08:03:55 pm »
Right I took what you guys said on board and went for it, played for about two hours tonight, managed to take down the Cleric Beast on the Bridge and explored a bit, found the hunter clothing in the sewers as well as a Saw Spear but I prefer the saw blades more rounded attack, the saw spear is more thrusting so you can't attack a wide area as well, I dunno?

Anyway did some upgrades and am lvl 18 now I think, so far so good, it is fun but quite challenging, Cleric Beast killed me 3 times before I killed it :)

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2017, 01:58:02 pm »
you're gonna love father gasgoigne then  ;D

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2017, 06:36:10 pm »
What I found strange about Bloodborne was that whenever I would get stuck, I'd look online and find people blitzing through the part I was struggling with. Then I came to learn that the bosses other people found hard, I beat fairly easily. Darkbeast Paarl took me upwards of twenty, maybe thirty attempts, whereas I beat Father Gascoigne on the first try.

Easily the hardest game I've ever completed, and probably the one that's made me rage the most too. If you do get stuck at any point and become frustrated I'd urge you to stick with it, level up and just get really familiar with the game's mechanics. It's punishing but worth it, a really memorable experience.