Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1043872 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: George R. R. Martin's 'Game of Thrones' television series
« Reply #160 on: May 5, 2011, 05:04:10 pm »
Third episode was good and much better than first two

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #161 on: May 5, 2011, 05:05:45 pm »
If this show can avoid getting canceled and gets produced at the rate of around a season every one and a bit years, with each season covering 1 book, it'll be paced very nicely for the release of the novels. If Martin can speed up the writing process I can see the 7th book being released shortly after the 6th season is out.

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #162 on: May 5, 2011, 05:12:35 pm »
If this show can avoid getting canceled and gets produced at the rate of around a season every one and a bit years, with each season covering 1 book, it'll be paced very nicely for the release of the novels. If Martin can speed up the writing process I can see the 7th book being released shortly after the 6th season is out.

Aren't they impressed with the viewing figures? It's had to deal with Easter Sunday and Osama's death and still got a fair amount of views! I also know it has Sky Atlantic's best viewing figures by far.

I think it's an awesome series, really hooked. A lot of critics are saying it could potentially be as good for HBo as the Wire and the Sopranos (although not quite as good as those 2 imo!)

The episodes just keep getting better, I thought the first episode captured the essence and ideal of the show well, didn't lob too much on to you and didn't make you deal with too many characters and now they have just begun developing those stories quickly enough to keep me hooked. Can't wait for a Monday night now!

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: May 5, 2011, 05:20:30 pm »
Already been picked up for a second season hasn't it? Have to give it to HBO. No one does it like them.

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #164 on: May 5, 2011, 06:29:28 pm »
Can anyone help. Who plays the old lady who told the paralysed boy the stories in episode 3 whilst he is lying in bed? I know her face, but can't find her credited anywhere. Cheers

The character is 'old nan' just googled it and she's played by Margaret John, who has recently passed away in Feb this year.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Nan

Loved her cameo though.

Offline d-smyth

• Kopite
« Reply #165 on: May 5, 2011, 07:06:26 pm »
Was looking forward to this having read the books, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Anywhere I can catch up on those I've missed?

Edit: It's okay I've got them now. Might have to have a re-read though it's been that long since I read them.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2011, 07:14:57 pm by d-smyth »

Offline Dis_Function

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #166 on: May 5, 2011, 08:48:49 pm »
Was looking forward to this having read the books, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Anywhere I can catch up on those I've missed?

Edit: It's okay I've got them now. Might have to have a re-read though it's been that long since I read them.

I've been planning to read them for a long time now... How good are they exactly?

Offline d-smyth

• Kopite
« Reply #167 on: May 5, 2011, 10:58:29 pm »
I've been planning to read them for a long time now... How good are they exactly?

They were quite good. I didn't find them brilliant, but nothing's going to be after The Wheel of Time series. Being honest though I can't remember much so I'm definitely going to have a re-read.

Just watched the first two episodes and tempted to watch the third now but should probably get some sleep.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #168 on: May 6, 2011, 02:08:16 am »
Trada dude,

Lost me after you called me dude I'm not you fucking Hippie buddy.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #169 on: May 6, 2011, 02:15:17 am »
I'm beginning to think I am watching a different show so far we have 3 hours of film and what's happened so far, Girl marries a bloke from 300 and shows him there is more to sex that bashing her back doors in (She is wrong that's the only action in the show so far) , a kid gets pushed out of a window and they made their way to the wall.

Oh and loads of people keep saying winter is coming.

I don't think I have missed anything out.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2011, 02:27:29 am by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #170 on: May 6, 2011, 02:24:29 am »
Already been picked up for a second season hasn't it? Have to give it to HBO. No one does it like them.

Come on Bob do you really think after spending all that money they would leave it hanging after one season.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 6, 2011, 02:53:00 am »
I'm beginning to think I am watching a different show so far we have 3 hours of film and what's happened so far, Girl marries a bloke from 300 and shows him there is more to sex that bashing her back doors in, a kid gets pushed out of a window and they made their way to the wall.

Oh and loads of people keep saying winter is coming.

You can describe any TV show or movie as simplistically as that if you really wanted to though. It's as shallow as you want it to be.

But fantasy is a genre that a lot of people will find quite silly and difficult to involve themselves in.

With regards to the ratings- I think it has strong enough a readership that so long as they keep it faithful to the books, it'll get enough people watching it, and moreover I think buying the DVDs. On the other hand 7 seasons is a lot of programming and anything can happen. Keep in mind all the promising shows HBO has canceled in the past. Carnivale, Deadwood, Rome.

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #172 on: May 6, 2011, 10:05:18 pm »
You can describe any TV show or movie as simplistically as that if you really wanted to though. It's as shallow as you want it to be.

But fantasy is a genre that a lot of people will find quite silly and difficult to involve themselves in.

With regards to the ratings- I think it has strong enough a readership that so long as they keep it faithful to the books, it'll get enough people watching it, and moreover I think buying the DVDs. On the other hand 7 seasons is a lot of programming and anything can happen. Keep in mind all the promising shows HBO has canceled in the past. Carnivale, Deadwood, Rome.

I thought they'd already commisioned a second season.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 6, 2011, 10:23:32 pm »
Come on Bob do you really think after spending all that money they would leave it hanging after one season.

if the numbers were terrible or if they had no faith in the show, then sure they would.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: May 7, 2011, 12:23:33 pm »
I thought they'd already commisioned a second season.

Yes, I'm getting ahead of myself to season 7 mate ;)

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #175 on: May 7, 2011, 01:49:46 pm »

The character introductions, learning who the Starks are, the bastard son, the nightwalkers, the king and his moods, the sister and brother and their role reversal in the forest

Fucking hell loads and loads but I'm guessing you're intelligent to know that

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: May 8, 2011, 06:26:41 am »
Trada, one apologizes to one if one's vernacular was not pleasing to one's eyes, but all one was trying to point out is that one should giv the series a chance.

If one really doesn't like it, stop watching.  :D

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 8, 2011, 05:28:54 pm »
The character is 'old nan' just googled it and she's played by Margaret John, who has recently passed away in Feb this year.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Nan

Loved her cameo though.

Cheers RJ. I thought it looked like her, but there was nothing on her IMDB profile, so thought it was someone else.

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
« Reply #178 on: May 9, 2011, 01:33:14 pm »
Just watched number 4.
I really want to get a box set of this series and watch the 7 seasons all in one huge sitting. Can someone build me a time machine to 2019? :)

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #179 on: May 9, 2011, 06:34:58 pm »
Just watched the 4th one really enjoyed it not so boring and made some kind of sense.

Best one by a mile.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: May 9, 2011, 10:02:19 pm »
What's not to like about this show? Intrigue, brilliantly written characters, incredible build-up and atmosphere, realistic violence and hot women teaching each other sex. Haven't read the books, but I bet R.R. Martin's proud. I know I would be.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2011, 01:29:49 pm »
I was gutted when the episode ended, my first thought was "What? No!" and second was "wait, it's over already." This series hasn't been quite what I expected but I'm happy with that, I'm enjoying watching the stories and characters (not entirely sure I will be able to keep track of them all) evolving with each minute. I loved Littlefinger in this episode and Sammy seems rather nice.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2011, 02:09:26 pm »
I'm waiting to read the books first- or at least the first one before watching this. Glad that people are enjoying it.

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2011, 02:18:21 pm »
midget is boss.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2011, 02:21:43 pm »
right, whats the fellas name who told the girl about the story where one brother burnt the other in a fire. Whilst the jousting was on in the last episode.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline therockbox

• Legacy Fan
  • Funklord
« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2011, 02:57:16 pm »
right, whats the fellas name who told the girl about the story where one brother burnt the other in a fire. Whilst the jousting was on in the last episode.
Petyr Baelish, aka Littlefinger.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2011, 02:58:58 pm »
Plays the mayor in The Wire.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2011, 03:00:56 pm »
Excellent again.  One of the best series on TV right now.  Loved the way that Lady Stark rallied those knights to help her in the tavern.  Poor little Imp, he's gonna have a rough time of it now.
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2011, 05:47:23 pm »
sign of a good show when at the end you are like " No! not already :/ "

btw, the blonde wanna be king who sold his sister to the dothraccy, is he a weedy little c*nt in the book or is this guy just a bad actor?

Offline RedGuy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2011, 06:06:06 pm »
sign of a good show when at the end you are like " No! not already :/ "

btw, the blonde wanna be king who sold his sister to the dothraccy, is he a weedy little c*nt in the book or is this guy just a bad actor?
He's like that in the book.

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2011, 07:38:13 pm »
Was a bit gutted for the Imp as I think he's been easily the best of the Lannisters! Really don't like the one who's knocking off his sister!

Jon Snow is a great character as well, will be interesting to see where that goes.

another good episode though, series keeps getting better

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: May 10, 2011, 09:10:16 pm »
They have nailed him. One of my fave's in the book along with the spider.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2011, 12:44:47 am »
Excellent again.  One of the best series on TV right now.  Loved the way that Lady Stark rallied those knights to help her in the tavern.  Poor little Imp, he's gonna have a rough time of it now.

To tell you the truth I forgot already why she left and why she has it in for the little guy.

But she as a good memory for emblems and they seem impressed by it.

I forgot all about her until she suddenly reappeared..
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:48:46 am by Trada »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2011, 07:40:13 am »
Plays the mayor in The Wire.

I completely forgot he played Carcetti in The Wire. I knew I'd seen him somewhere but couldn't put my finger on it until I saw the 4th episode today.

Spoiler
Damn Catelyn, you just know she's plunged her husband and her country into war with that stunt. Shortsighted move that will cost her dear I fear.
[close]

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2011, 02:19:25 pm »
To tell you the truth I forgot already why she left and why she has it in for the little guy.

But she as a good memory for emblems and they seem impressed by it.

I forgot all about her until she suddenly reappeared..

Spoiler
She left after the assassin tried to kill her son who got shoved out of the window and is now bed ridden.  She fought him off and got her hands cut, but the Dire Wolf saved her arse in the end.  She then saw the knife he was carrying and how well made it was and worked out that she could probably find out whose it was, so she went to see Ned in the big city and it was identified as the a gift from her friend Petyr Baelish, aka Littlefinger, to the Imp.  Although we know that it was the Lannister who is smashing his sisters back doors in that gave the knife to the Assassin.
[close]

That's pretty much why she's go the hump with the Imp.  Great scene though.
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2011, 05:23:20 pm »
Lena Hedley is doing an excellent job playing Cersei Lannister (The Queen).
Cold hearted, sick, evil bitch but you would though wouldnt ya? ;)

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2011, 10:45:30 pm »
Lena Hedley is doing an excellent job playing Cersei Lannister (The Queen).
Cold hearted, sick, evil bitch but you would though wouldnt ya? ;)

That only makes it better :)
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline hyypia04

• Anny Roader
« Reply #197 on: May 12, 2011, 10:12:59 am »
The fit bird who was shagging Chesney Hawkes in the bath - Was bugging me where I'd seen her before. Louise from Hollyoaks!
Radio Merseyside interviewer to Shankly:
'Mr Shankly, why is it that your teams' unbeaten run has suddenly ended ... ?'
Shankly: 'Why don't you go and jump in the lake ?'

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #198 on: May 12, 2011, 11:43:46 am »
Personally I find these series a breath of fresh air when compaired to most that are available these days.  Yes, some scenes of sexual nature seem to be there just for the sake of it, but I feel the series have settled a bit and have had the same experience as Zaffarious
One thing though, the beginning scene of the series put my girlfriend off watching it because of the gore and even with a lot of persuation she hasn't yet yielded.  I managed to get her to continue watching the 1st but when she came back the scene
Spoiler
with the beheading
[close]
was on so I guess for some people the violence is a tad too graphic.  Don't understand that to be honest cause worse things are shown on the news.

Offline Jamie LFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #199 on: May 12, 2011, 08:03:32 pm »
Really starting to enjoy this, find myself looking forward to the next episode more and more each week!