The Liverpool FC Forum > Media and Arts

The Hip Hop Thread

(1/1953) > >>

Johnnyboy1973:
Time for a new one I thought.

This isn't about whether hip hop is dead or specifically about what you believe to be the greatest hip hop album ever.

But, this is a place for like minded heads who like their hip hop to shave views and opinions on todays hip hop arena.

To kick it off we have Sweet Lord by Murs and 9th Wonder.

To those of you who know their work, I would say it is ok not great, but well worth a listen. To those of you who dont know their work, it is a good place to start, primarily as it is free

http://www.mursand9thwonder.com/download.html

Next up is an album alluded to by Tom_B in another thread namely, Welcome to Red Rock Houses by T.H.U.G. Angelz (more commonly known as Hell Razah and Shabazz the Disciple).

A tour of their ghetto life with a dark and moody feel. A good not great album and a good starting point those who say you just dont get that Wu Tang feel anymore.

Feel free to add and the more up to date we can keep it the better - not to say the old days were bad - but just to stop it turning into a "hip hop is shit now, was much better in the 80's and 90's" thread.

Tom_B:
Nice idea, the other one was titled inappropriately for what it became.

Pacewon and Mr Green, get on it.

kingmonkey007:
ok, alot of hip-hop sites and forums seem to be talking about this:

The Game, misinterpreted lyrics? or is he backpedaling?

(background)

The Game records a song called "My Life", in the song you hear the following lines,

"You see them 24’s spinning, I earned ‘em/and all the pictures of me and Em, I burned ‘em/ so there ain’t no proof that I ever walked through 8 Mile/and since there’s no Proof, I’ll never walk through 8 Mile"

This song was "leaked" on to the Internet, The Game then rerecorded the song taking out them lyrics and then apologizes to anyone who may have taken the lyrics the wrong way about Proof but says nothing about the Eminem lyrics.

so was this The Game aiming a shot ("diss") at Eminem then realising that this would be a bad move to make or is it just The Game trying to be clever with his metaphors/wordplay and not thinking how some people may take the lyrics?.

-----------

My opinion is that The Game was trying to show respect to Proof (who he was close to) by saying that every time he goes to Detroit or looks at pictures of himself with Em in Detroit he thinks of Proof and it makes him sad the he is no longer there so he got rid of the pictures (this I can understand), the problem came with him saying Em's name, which I can see why he used it, as it went with the 'em words he used in the same sentence but I have to admit the lyrics were shit and just asking for trouble.

So as The Game just been misinterpreted or am I blinded by the fact I do kind of like The Game and can not see that he really is backpedaling?

and for the record if he has meant it as an attack towards Eminem then I do believe he will have committed career suicide.

Tom_B:

--- Quote from: kingmonkey007 on August  3, 2008, 05:36:32 pm ---and for the record if he has meant it as an attack towards Eminem then I do believe he will have committed career suicide.

--- End quote ---

I doubt it would be, but Game is a better emcee anyway and would kill Eminem on a track. Having said that in a battle Eminem would win.

He will have meant it as a bit of respect for Proof, but probably then realised it could be taken as a diss on Eminem, which I don't think he would want to do anyway and so changed it.

Game said this:

When I originally wrote the song “My Life” I was trying to think back on events that affected my life and how they changed me. When I first got signed to Aftermath and G-Unit I was exposed to so many different people from Dre to Em to 50 to Proof. I always identified with Proof. We were always cool and he would reach out to me when ever I was going through something I remember when Proof died vividly and now every time I think about going to Detroit I get depressed. That is what I was trying to say in that verse and the more I looked at I realized that people would take it the wrong way…the way they are taking it now that it leaked. So I decided to change it so that this bullshit wouldn’t happen and now it’s happened anyway. For the record, this is not the version on my album, this is not the version that radio will get and this is not the version that I just shot the video to. Furthermore, I apologize to anyone who took this the wrong way as that was never my intention.

Good enough for me.

felix.:
Slug and Atmosphere are the best thing hip hop has ever produced. The only rapper I listen to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version