Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2018-19  (Read 237382 times)

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2018-19
« Reply #1280 on: March 3, 2019, 07:02:12 pm »
Yeah, but City gained on us.
Damn, forgot that. Was happy that we were at least still on track in the APLT
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #1281 on: March 3, 2019, 07:11:02 pm »

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1282 on: March 3, 2019, 08:12:55 pm »
Ta Prof :)
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1283 on: March 3, 2019, 08:22:29 pm »
Have we got any par 1s left?
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #1284 on: March 3, 2019, 08:23:17 pm »
Squeaky bum time?

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #1285 on: March 3, 2019, 08:34:50 pm »
Have we got any par 1s left?

Newcastle away.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1286 on: March 3, 2019, 08:36:50 pm »
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline Perth Red

• Kemlynite
  • Upside down and red all over
« Reply #1287 on: March 4, 2019, 12:43:43 am »
In the 2011/12 season United led City by 1 point, 70 to 69, after 29 games. Arsenal a distant third. City went on to win it with the last gasp goal against QPR on goal difference! They both got to 89, still the highest ever attained by a losing side.
If my Maths is correct that means United got 19 points and City 20 from their final 9 games... which proves that the run in for the title is anything but simple and there are dropped points no matter how motivated you are!
This is still alive, anything can happen!
If I've told you once I've told you a million times, stop exaggerating!

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #1288 on: March 4, 2019, 03:49:01 am »
Puts it in perspective really. Created the model aiming for 90 points. We're finally well on course for 90 points. Might not be enough. It's cruel.

This season needs something mad at the end of it like us lifting the European Cup at the end of it instead ;D
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1289 on: March 4, 2019, 06:41:27 am »
APLT Full Table : Matchweek 29
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1290 on: March 4, 2019, 06:42:08 am »
APLT Analysis & Extrapolations : Matchweek 29
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1291 on: March 4, 2019, 06:43:08 am »
APLT Actual + Revolving Par : Matchweek 29

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1292 on: March 4, 2019, 06:43:49 am »
LFC Current & Projected Form : Matchweek 29

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #1293 on: March 4, 2019, 08:20:53 am »
Puts it in perspective really. Created the model aiming for 90 points. We're finally well on course for 90 points. Might not be enough. It's cruel.

This season needs something mad at the end of it like us lifting the European Cup at the end of it instead ;D
There are factors outside our control which is why points totals are always better targets than positions.

Most neutrals I know who don't want us to win say it's because they don't count man city winning as a real win.  Like it has an asterix next to it to say that it was won with doping.  The same applies to Chelsea's titles.

If we break the 90 points but don't win the title, I'll still be so proud of the team and this season we're having.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1294 on: March 4, 2019, 08:29:36 am »
Great sentiments Prof, it is amazing to think a team can get 90+ points and yet only finish second, but if we manage that we should still be proud of the team's effort.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #1295 on: March 4, 2019, 08:42:39 am »
Great sentiments Prof, it is amazing to think a team can get 90+ points and yet only finish second, but if we manage that we should still be proud of the team's effort.

See Napoli last season. Finished on 91 points and still 4 off the top. Some labelled them 'bottlers' i'm sure, but they were incredibly good and just happened to be topped by an even better Juve side. The difference, arguably, is that we won't drop away to the extent that Napoli have from last season to this one.

That said, I don't want us to be remembered as good, but not quite good enough. It's still there for us, but we really need to start looking like the Liverpool we know we can be.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline MrButler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1296 on: March 4, 2019, 11:57:11 am »
Would be interesting to see the numbers on how  often the predicted par 1 games actually end up in the team drawing? I’m worried that City potentially have three ‘chances’ to gain points on us with their par 1 opportunities.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1297 on: March 4, 2019, 12:20:49 pm »
Would be interesting to see the numbers on how  often the predicted par 1 games actually end up in the team drawing? I’m worried that City potentially have three ‘chances’ to gain points on us with their par 1 opportunities.
analysis of the analysis. Rawkception
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #1298 on: March 4, 2019, 12:51:59 pm »
Current APLT numbers:

Liverpool: 5
City: 2
Spurs: -8
United: -9
Chelsea: -12
Arsenal: -12

Matchday 30:

Liverpool: 5 Burnley (H)  Par 3 (Win 5, Draw 3, Lose 2)
City: 2 Watford (H) Par 3 (Win 2, Draw 0, Lose -1)
Spurs: -8 Southampton (A) Par 3 (Win -8, Draw -9, Lose -11)
United: -9 Arsenal (A) Par 1 (Win -7, Draw -9, Lose -10)
Chelsea: -12 Wolves (H) Par 3 (Win -12, Draw -14, Lose -15)
Arsenal: -12 United (H) Par 3 (Win -12, Draw -14, Lose -15)

So City took their chance to gain on APLT while Liverpool didn't which means it's getting closer at the top of the APLT. Both Liverpool and City have must win home games next weekend with any slip ups now having large consequences.  Spurs have a reasonably hard away game considering their form and they need to win to avoid possibly dropping down to 4th in the APLT for the first time since GW11. United can really assert themselves as top 4 candidates with a win away at Arsenal. Arsenal and Chelsea have hard home games that they must win to stay in the top 4 race.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1299 on: March 4, 2019, 01:17:53 pm »
We're pretty much impossible to beat at this point, certainly in the league. It'll go to the wire this, even if City's form remains strong.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1300 on: March 4, 2019, 02:26:30 pm »
Current APLT numbers:

Liverpool: 5
City: 2
Spurs: -8
United: -9
Chelsea: -12
Arsenal: -12

Matchday 30:

Liverpool: 5 Burnley (H)  Par 3 (Win 5, Draw 3, Lose 2)
City: 2 Watford (H) Par 3 (Win 2, Draw 0, Lose -1)
Spurs: -8 Southampton (A) Par 3 (Win -8, Draw -9, Lose -11)
United: -9 Arsenal (A) Par 1 (Win -7, Draw -9, Lose -10)
Chelsea: -12 Wolves (H) Par 3 (Win -12, Draw -14, Lose -15)
Arsenal: -12 United (H) Par 3 (Win -12, Draw -14, Lose -15)

So City took their chance to gain on APLT while Liverpool didn't which means it's getting closer at the top of the APLT. Both Liverpool and City have must win home games next weekend with any slip ups now having large consequences.  Spurs have a reasonably hard away game considering their form and they need to win to avoid possibly dropping down to 4th in the APLT for the first time since GW11. United can really assert themselves as top 4 candidates with a win away at Arsenal. Arsenal and Chelsea have hard home games that they must win to stay in the top 4 race.

Given recent form, I'd say a win for Manchester Untied and they are nailed on for top four, and third is very much in reach. I think that fourth spot is a three way fight.

Offline Cheshire_Cat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1301 on: March 4, 2019, 06:14:58 pm »
I got a bit bored this afternoon, so I thought I'd have a look at the best ever Premier League seasons on the APLT system.

There are only 7 seasons where the winners have got 90 or more points. The best after City's 2018 season is Chelsea in 2005 at 95 points and then Chelsea in 2017 at 93 points. Nobody else has got over 91.

I don't know what to deduce from the graph, but our big red line looks quite healthy in relation to all the others. That makes me quite happy. Fuck off Everton!

And sorry my graphs aren't as nice as Profs.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1302 on: March 4, 2019, 06:18:05 pm »
I got a bit bored this afternoon, so I thought I'd have a look at the best ever Premier League seasons on the APLT system.

There are only 7 seasons where the winners have got 90 or more points. The best after City's 2018 season is Chelsea in 2005 at 95 points and then Chelsea in 2017 at 93 points. Nobody else has got over 91.

I don't know what to deduce from the graph, but our big red line looks quite healthy in relation to all the others. That makes me quite happy. Fuck off Everton!

Think it says we’re one hell of a football team and whilst people can be disappointed with recent results they need to get a bit of perspective and calm down

Good work on the graph. Cheers for posting

Offline Cheshire_Cat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1303 on: March 4, 2019, 06:20:41 pm »
I also thought I'd have a look at the 2012 title race between City and United to see how that looked on an APLT graph.

I think it just emphasises that when two teams are neck and neck for the title the pressure can do funny things ...

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1304 on: March 4, 2019, 06:23:32 pm »
It is possible that Man City could win all nine remaining games and render what we do irrelevant in the title race from this point on. However, I think that scenario is unlikely. The most likely outcome is they will drop points in one, two, or three more fixtures. Hoping for them to drop points in four or more of the remaining nine games seems a fool's errand, given the form they are in.

My best guess is we are going to need eight wins and a draw to win the league. It's vital that we keep winning so that we can capitalize on any dropped points by them.   

Offline Cheshire_Cat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1305 on: March 4, 2019, 06:25:30 pm »
Think it says we’re one hell of a football team and whilst people can be disappointed with recent results they need to get a bit of perspective and calm down

Good work on the graph. Cheers for posting

I think you're right. Whether we win the league or not, we could end up with the 2nd (or 3rd) best points haul ever. That's some achievement ... whatever happens.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1306 on: March 4, 2019, 08:02:06 pm »

You're assuming we finish above 89 points!

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #1307 on: March 4, 2019, 09:28:34 pm »

Cheers for both posts, interesting to look at. Not much of a pattern there.

No idea what's going to happen this season, but the APLT is definitely better viewing than the real table right now. I still think that keeping the red line straight and true from here on out will result in the title. Could do with City dropping some points soon to calm my nerves though.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1308 on: March 4, 2019, 10:53:30 pm »
We only have one more Par 1 - newcastle

City have 3, Burnley, Palace and Man Utd. But they play all three in the space of two weeks.

Its really going to go to the wire methinks

Online latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1309 on: March 4, 2019, 11:22:08 pm »

What about the 6 chances they have to lose ground on us, or have they already got the points for those? :)

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1310 on: March 5, 2019, 01:21:21 am »
Both of those graphs are really interesting Cheshire Cat - thanks for posting.

If I was going to take away something encouraging from them it would be that it seems that apart from a crazy season from United in 2000 nobody has managed a 'consecutive run' in APLT terms of more than 4 points improvement. If we were to keep our line flat, City's 'run' from their starting point at -2 would have to be a 7 point improvement.

Online McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #1311 on: March 5, 2019, 06:10:33 am »
The first few games of the season are just building foundations. The last games of the season match the "real" table. At what point is the APLT most statistically/predictively relevant? Is it now?

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1312 on: March 5, 2019, 10:19:21 am »

Its really going to go to the wire methinks
"Ayo, lesson here, Bey. You come at the king, you best not miss"
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline MrButler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1313 on: March 5, 2019, 04:14:40 pm »
Ok because I’m sad I worked out that of the PAR1 games highlighted in red 6 of 11 have been correct, in that it correctly identified a game were we dropped points.

Interestingly, I looked up City’s too. And it has correctly identified 4 of 9.

Liverpool have 1 PAR1 game remaining, City have 3 remaining.

All to play for...!

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1314 on: March 5, 2019, 04:28:04 pm »
"Ayo, lesson here, Bey. You come at the king, you best not miss"

Hey, hey, hey. A life. A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1315 on: March 5, 2019, 05:41:10 pm »
Both of those graphs are really interesting Cheshire Cat - thanks for posting.

If I was going to take away something encouraging from them it would be that it seems that apart from a crazy season from United in 2000 nobody has managed a 'consecutive run' in APLT terms of more than 4 points improvement. If we were to keep our line flat, City's 'run' from their starting point at -2 would have to be a 7 point improvement.
That par run for LFC is 8 wins and 1 draw though. That's realistically not happening.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #1316 on: March 5, 2019, 07:00:55 pm »
That par run for LFC is 8 wins and 1 draw though. That's realistically not happening.

Why not?
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline mercurial

• Legacy Fan
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
« Reply #1317 on: March 5, 2019, 07:56:17 pm »
Do we have any correlation of a close title race and ppg? Do teams improve ppg in a close ran race? Something like last 10 relative to rest of the campaign. I would be interested to see it across different leagues. The data would be interesting where a title race us on with 3 points difference and 10 games to play, teams would have a pattern across leagues I am thinking.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2019, 07:59:45 pm by mercurial »
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #1318 on: March 5, 2019, 09:01:31 pm »
Most neutrals I know who don't want us to win say it's because they don't count man city winning as a real win.  Like it has an asterix next to it to say that it was won with doping.  The same applies to Chelsea's titles.

Very true. I think its also because most people know that after finally winning the title after such a long time, the pressure would be off in subsequent seasons, and with Klopp and this squad we could do it again.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1319 on: March 5, 2019, 09:04:55 pm »
Why not?
[/quote
Why not?

Because by every measure you can use to predict results LFC will not attain 25 out of 27 points.