Author Topic: Climate Emergency is already here. How much worse it gets is still up to us (?)  (Read 371240 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Climate change is already here. How bad it gets is still up to us - Discuss
« Reply #1802 on: November 4, 2015, 09:01:56 am »
What does this mean?

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/03/world/antarctica-ice-gain/

At this point I don't think it means that much. There is one key issue with this research in that the authors only use data up to 2008 (the satellite they used lost all its lasers in 2009 I think), and therefore ignores more recent data which suggest the ice loss is accelerating and some areas are destabilising. Also I think some of the methodologies used are being questioned but that's something the scientists are going to have to work out between themselves.

It also raises an important question: if Antarctica hasn't yet contributed to sea-level rise, then it means scientists are missing out on a major source of this rise, which seems unlikely. Until (if, that is) their results are replicated, it's not a good idea to reject all the other studies whose findings differ significantly from this paper. I think the key point is that the authors didn't use up-to-date data, which means it's wrong to claim Antarctica is gaining ice now.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1803 on: January 20, 2016, 06:49:46 pm »
2015 smashes the record for hottest year.

And by quite some margin too...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35354579
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1804 on: January 21, 2016, 11:28:06 pm »
This free course may be of interest to some people on this thread.

https://www.edx.org/course/global-warming-science-mitx-12-340x-0#!

No idea how good it is, but it has some pretty decent reviews.
To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
I think this is the best topic to post this:

“Base load” power: a myth used to defend the fossil fuel industry

As the network operator builds out its clean power sources, they noted, coal-fired generators could only serve as “reserve power” to supplement renewables.

“The only hurdle to overcome is ‘mindset’,” Liu said. “There’s no technical challenge at all.”

“Base load is not a technical concept, it is an economic concept and a business concept of the coal industry that is no longer feasible,” says Sven Teske, an analyst with the Institute for Sustainable Futures in Sydney.

He says his study shows that renewable energy can supply 100 per cent of Australia’s electricity needs by 2035, and 100 per cent of all energy needs (including transport and heating and industrial processes) by 2050.

“A 100% renewables Australia is definitely not a technology challenge it is a political one.
And that is because it needs stable policy, something it has not enjoyed for a decade or more.”

http://reneweconomy.com.au/2016/base-load-power-a-myth-used-to-defend-the-fossil-fuel-industry-96007
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Sydney has just recorded it 39th consecutive day above 26 degrees celsius. The previous record was 19.

Also includes 21 nights over 20 degrees celsius.

No global warming down here folks.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
This blog post has more information on what's happening and where. You expect temperature anomalies to be higher during an El Niño, particularly in the equatorial Pacific, but a lot of the extra heat is found in the Arctic, parts of North America and of Europe:

It will be interesting to see what scientists have to say about this. Just hope it's a blip because this is scary:

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Scorchio. This is the tipping point level of warming isn't it?

I guess the reason for 'why the Northern Hemisphere' is one to be answered at a later date?
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Scorchio. This is the tipping point level of warming isn't it?

I guess the reason for 'why the Northern Hemisphere' is one to be answered at a later date?
Probably just an outlier to be fair....

You can't judge climate off the back of one year, let alone two months in one year..
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:21:29 pm by Tepid water »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Hopefully just a mad one and we're not on course to 4 degrees C much sooner than was expected.

Playing with climate change/sea level thing done as part of the lead up to the Paris Conference. http://choices.climatecentral.org/#12/53.4136/-3.0636?compare=temperatures&carbon-end-yr=2100&scenario-a=warming-4&scenario-b=warming-2

4 degree warming on left, 2 degree on right.

And London for full apocalyptic mode.  :-\

"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Oh good, Leasowe drowns ;D

Seriously though, I hope it's starting to highlight the importance of everything, starting with something as basic as recycling as often as you can and putting the right items in the right thing
(LIVERPOOL   KNOWSLEY   ST. HELENS   SEFTON   WIRRAL)
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Watched BBC The Big Questions.  Holy fuck Jeremy Corbyn's brother is a moron.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
2016 continues to spread the cheer with it also catching the scientists of guard with just how hot it has been: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-weather-climatechange-science-idUSKCN1061RH?rpc=401

And to help it along there is currently a wild fire in Siberia, the smoke cloud is so big it can be seen from space! Lets hope it doesn't speed along the already melting permafrost
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/imageo/2016/07/22/blanket-of-smoke-from-siberia-fires-can-be-seen-from-1-million-miles-away-in-space/#.V5iiJPkrJD9

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Derek seems to have stopped his graphs over the last couple of years..

I can't think why..
W

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I can't think why..
Not sure who Derek is but maybe he watched Toby...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
W

Offline lfcderek

• Palooka basher Go ed Del Boy lid. Your right to point out wear I am wrong. Deffo more derek than lfc.....
  • Legacy Fan

I can't think why..
June is the last month for which there is data available.
And Yes - I give up.

I do still maintain them.

The end of the big 2015/16 El Niño (and the likely following La Niña) should see temps continue to fall back to the long term trend of 0.6/0.7 oC per century.

Significantly, this is close to the CO2 only calcs (CO2 obviously causes some warming), and doesn't include the (fictional) X3 positive feedbacks that appear in the models.

I'll put a note in my calendar to re-post in a year's time.

As I said - I gave up trying to persuade people of the basic idea of Science (and receiving considerable abuse for my efforts)

Hypothesis --> Prediction --> Observation -->  Verify/Falsify

Let people make up their own minds from the (above) published data - and NOT from the carefully massaged versions on 'Warmist' sites.

Oh, bye-the-bye

Some Sociologist professor in Australia wants to make 'Climate Change Denial' a criminal offense apparently - I need to watch my step!

"Don't let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right."
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn`t learn something from him."
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Much like I gave up trying to convince you that positive feedback loops could (and indeed did) exist!
W

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1821 on: August 16, 2016, 10:20:17 pm »
Meanwhile, on earth. Hottest ever month since records began.

(Graph by Gavin Schmidt,  Director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, http://www.realclimate.org/ )

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1822 on: August 16, 2016, 11:01:51 pm »
Professor Brian Cox clashes with Australian climate sceptic

'The celebrity scientist was dumbfounded by Mr Roberts' claim that climate change data was manipulated by Nasa.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-37091391

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1823 on: August 17, 2016, 09:11:49 am »
Just for the record, anthropogenic climate change is happening, and has been happening since the Neolithic period.

Forget all the rubbish about it starting during the Industrial Revolution, there was a large spike in emissions during that time, but it's been steadily happening for thousands of years.

CO2 emissions began to rise around 8,000 yrs ago with the cutting and burning of the forests and methane saw a similar rise around 5,000 yrs ago, when humans started to irrigate for rice farming and tend livestock in unprecedented numbers.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1824 on: August 17, 2016, 09:17:03 am »
Professor Brian Cox clashes with Australian climate sceptic

'The celebrity scientist was dumbfounded by Mr Roberts' claim that climate change data was manipulated by Nasa.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-37091391

They are just like those who insisted the earth was flat, or the earth was the centre of the universe, or deny evolution.

mind you we have a large cohort of people in this country who deny economic facts.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1825 on: August 17, 2016, 09:22:53 am »
They are just like those who insisted the earth was flat, or the earth was the centre of the universe, or deny evolution.

mind you we have a large cohort of people in this country who deny economic facts.

Fact-Resitant Humans:  ;D

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/scientists-earth-endangered-by-new-strain-of-fact-resistant-humans

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1826 on: August 17, 2016, 11:05:52 pm »
Fact-Resitant Humans:  ;D

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/scientists-earth-endangered-by-new-strain-of-fact-resistant-humans
You're not kidding, I'm trying to explain to a guy (yeah, Facebook...) about how science isn't something you make up on a hunch.  Going mental.

https://www.facebook.com/WearRedStandUpAndBeCounted/posts/1225381460829067 if anyone wants a crack at Robert Cheshire.
My Twitter

Offline NumbGnome

• Main Stander
« Reply #1827 on: September 7, 2016, 02:52:22 am »
A crack in the Larsen C ice shelf grew nearly 14 miles since March.  :o :'(

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/larsen-c-antarctica-ice-shelf-cracking_us_57bb6e4ae4b00d9c3a19701c

Offline NumbGnome

• Main Stander
« Reply #1828 on: September 11, 2016, 04:35:38 am »
Giant storms that wreak havoc across China, Japan, Korea and the Philippines have grown 50% stronger in the past 40 years due to warming seas.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/05/asian-typhoons-becoming-more-intense-study-finds

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1830 on: November 5, 2016, 08:32:57 pm »
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/codqzJ4onGc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/codqzJ4onGc</a>

« Last Edit: November 9, 2016, 08:04:39 pm by theMilkman »
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1831 on: November 6, 2016, 10:18:13 pm »
Thanks for the link, its taken up my evening.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1832 on: November 9, 2016, 07:59:58 pm »
Thanks for the link, its taken up my evening.

Glad to help get it out. With Trump in the white house this becomes a more urgent problem, and we can't look to our goverments for the heavy lifting.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1833 on: November 10, 2016, 06:08:57 am »
Glad to help get it out. With Trump in the white house this becomes a more urgent problem, and we can't look to our goverments for the heavy lifting.
For me, this is the biggest risk of Trump in office. It is downright scary that the leader of the most powerful nation in the world openly denies climate change!

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1834 on: November 10, 2016, 10:01:41 pm »
http://fortune.com/2016/11/10/donald-trump-climate-change-paris-agreement/

In theory, the earliest date for withdrawal is Nov. 4, 2020, around the time of the next U.S. presidential election.

But Trump could pull out of the parent treaty of the Paris Agreement, the 1992 U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change with just a year’s notice, also voiding U.S. participation in the Paris Agreement, U.N. legal experts say.

That would be controversial, partly because the Convention was signed by former Republican president George Bush in 1992 and approved by the U.S. Senate. It would also severely strain relations with many foreign nations.

Genuinely curious about what everyone on here thinks the average person can do, knowing how urgent it is that we start doing something soon, without relying any longer on our governments to take the lead- since this election really proves that we can't. Is this the end of any serious effort to keep temperatures from rising about 2 degrees Celsius?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1835 on: November 10, 2016, 10:05:35 pm »
http://fortune.com/2016/11/10/donald-trump-climate-change-paris-agreement/

In theory, the earliest date for withdrawal is Nov. 4, 2020, around the time of the next U.S. presidential election.

But Trump could pull out of the parent treaty of the Paris Agreement, the 1992 U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change with just a year’s notice, also voiding U.S. participation in the Paris Agreement, U.N. legal experts say.

That would be controversial, partly because the Convention was signed by former Republican president George Bush in 1992 and approved by the U.S. Senate. It would also severely strain relations with many foreign nations.

Genuinely curious about what everyone on here thinks the average person can do, knowing how urgent it is that we start doing something soon, without relying any longer on our governments to take the lead- since this election really proves that we can't. Is this the end of any serious effort to keep temperatures from rising about 2 degrees Celsius?

Nothing. This has to be driven by government.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1836 on: November 14, 2016, 11:20:55 am »
Not exclusively climate change related as it obviously kills off animals and forests, too, but I just wanted to share this:

https://actions.sumofus.org/a/orangutans-might-not-survive-this?akid=24501.3474568.X-87Ph&donation_band=nondonor&rd=1&source=fwd&t=1

It really is time for PepsiCo to extend their sustainable palm oil policy to Indonesia. It's ludicrous that they haven't already done so. Who knows if it would make any difference but every little helps.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1837 on: November 15, 2016, 06:21:44 pm »
W

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1838 on: November 15, 2016, 09:19:29 pm »
on a small scale i can grow crops in Nottingham we could probably struggle to grow a decade ago, on a larger scale i predict Trump will be stupid enough to wreck any climate change laws or potential laws he advocates the increase in using Fossil Fuels for godsake,  the man is a danger to the future health and wellbeing of generations to come.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1839 on: November 15, 2016, 09:21:43 pm »
on a small scale i can grow crops in Nottingham we could probably struggle to grow a decade ago, on a larger scale i predict Trump will be stupid enough to wreck any climate change laws or potential laws he advocates the increase in using Fossil Fuels for godsake,  the man is a danger to the future health and wellbeing of generations to come.

How many times have we had to tell you to stop growing marijuana Geoff.

Enough!
W