Author Topic: Thailand  (Read 14726 times)

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Re: Thailand
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2017, 04:06:28 pm »
Cheers for the responses everyone  :wave

I'm currently in Thailand, it turns out I had to postpone the trip to a much later date than when I originally made this thread. The food is lovely, the people are very nice and culturally it's completely unlike anything I've ever seen before (I mean that in the best possible way). The only issue I have is the excessive heat - even at night with no sun it feels like you've stuck your head in an oven. It too is unlike anything I've ever experience before but then again I knew what I was signing up for before I came. I'll post highlights and the places I've visited when I get around to it in case anyone else is interested.  :)

Offline exilescouse

• Lack sufficient letters for real testicles.....
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2017, 12:15:38 am »
Cheers for the responses everyone  :wave

I'm currently in Thailand, it turns out I had to postpone the trip to a much later date than when I originally made this thread. The food is lovely, the people are very nice and culturally it's completely unlike anything I've ever seen before (I mean that in the best possible way). The only issue I have is the excessive heat - even at night with no sun it feels like you've stuck your head in an oven. It too is unlike anything I've ever experience before but then again I knew what I was signing up for before I came. I'll post highlights and the places I've visited when I get around to it in case anyone else is interested.  :)

Oh, it's quite cool at the moment, lucky you didn't come in April haha

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2017, 07:24:44 pm »
Just back from a couple of weeks in Koh Samui. Most enjoyable.

Loads of highlights but one of them was the Thai Sticky Rice pudding which is fucking divine.  Yes I'm a fat greedy bastard so a pudding IS high up on my highlight reel :)

Sun, Thai People, Singha beer, Massages, Thai Food, Beaches all follow close behind like :)

The kindness and friendliness of Thai people was on another level.  We had the same taxi driver ferrying us all over to Bohput, Chewang, airport or wherever for the whole 2 weeks and on the last night he brought his 3 or 4 year old daughter with him and introduced her to me and the missus. Her name was Pang.  Such a nice bloke.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2017, 02:16:08 am »
Bangkok is not really the place to chill, it's hectic, but well worth a few days here. For a few days to chill on the beach go to Koh Samet, not too far from Pattaya and some great beaches there. Get a minibus from Pattaya to the ferry to the island, it's about one hour journey.

Bangkok is just a big busy city, but there are some pockets of solitude on the river or in some temples, there is definitely enough here to fill a few days.

Everything I have mentioned are all within a few hours, no need to go further afield really, but that said a cheap flight to Siem Reap in Cambodia is worth it for Ankor Wat, watching the sun rise over that place is spectacular and the sheer scale of the temple is amazing.

Hah when I say chill out I just mean no work :)  Hectic is fine by me mate.  Thanks for the info.  Thought about doing a hop somewhere nearby where I haven't been before (Cambodia/HK/or even up to Japan) but then thought I'd be better off just relaxing and coming back for other stuff.

Offline exilescouse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2017, 05:59:16 am »
Hah when I say chill out I just mean no work :)  Hectic is fine by me mate.  Thanks for the info.  Thought about doing a hop somewhere nearby where I haven't been before (Cambodia/HK/or even up to Japan) but then thought I'd be better off just relaxing and coming back for other stuff.

Good stuff.  I'm actually going to Siem Reap tomorrow for a few days, do the temples again.  Plenty to do in Bangkok if that is where you decide to chill.  Happy to help with any specifics mate.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2017, 06:49:33 am »
Actually one question.  Do the local cinemas run international movies or not bother much at all with them? Do they run them in English with subtitles or wait until they're dubbed?  Been a great thing in the past when I've traveled and wanted to catch a movie that they run them on release in English with subtitles.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:51:15 am by leroy »

Offline R1col

• Main Stander
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2017, 08:11:07 pm »
Yes they run all big films in both English with Thai subtitles and Thai dubbed. Just watch out for both screenings.  I love the cinema in Thailand, nothing better than the big comfy seats in the major cineplex, air con etc. Don`t forget to stand for the King before the film starts.

Offline exilescouse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 12:26:37 pm »
As above.  English language films are in English.  Most cinemas have around 10 to 15 screens, one movie will play in different screens,  English movies are dubbed into thai for Thai speakers.

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2017, 12:44:49 am »
Actually one question.  Do the local cinemas run international movies or not bother much at all with them? Do they run them in English with subtitles or wait until they're dubbed?  Been a great thing in the past when I've traveled and wanted to catch a movie that they run them on release in English with subtitles.

Cinemas in Bangkok are a tourist attraction in their own right. Check one of the better ones out and you'll see what I'm talking about.
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline exilescouse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 06:56:46 am »
This is my boys last week, these recline to beds basically. They also have sofas, waiters etc.  They do have normal cinemas also.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: February 2, 2019, 04:48:01 pm »
Thinking of going in November this year. That a good time to go? Which parts are best to visit at that time?

Offline R1col

• Main Stander
« Reply #51 on: February 3, 2019, 10:15:51 am »
Thinking of going in November this year. That a good time to go? Which parts are best to visit at that time?

We did November 11th - December 1st last year and had fantastic weather. We spent a few days in Bangkok, just love infinity pools overlooking the city at night, spent a few days in Lanta Krabi, then went to the wifes family in Ubon ratchathani.

It is the rainy season though so do some research of weather before going, I believe Samui and places like that may not be so great.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: February 3, 2019, 08:58:51 pm »
We did November 11th - December 1st last year and had fantastic weather. We spent a few days in Bangkok, just love infinity pools overlooking the city at night, spent a few days in Lanta Krabi, then went to the wifes family in Ubon ratchathani.

It is the rainy season though so do some research of weather before going, I believe Samui and places like that may not be so great.
Cheers fella. Yeah read about the rainy season. Just getting annual leave sorted before researching further.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #53 on: February 8, 2019, 03:05:49 pm »

Even the "bad" weather here is great. November is usually nice, not too hot and just before winter.

You can't beat a bit of island hoping down south and Bangkok is great for temples and night life. My personal favourite is up North in Chiang Mai, lovely countryside and a joy to rent a motorbike and explore.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2019, 10:41:21 pm »
Even the "bad" weather here is great. November is usually nice, not too hot and just before winter.

You can't beat a bit of island hoping down south and Bangkok is great for temples and night life. My personal favourite is up North in Chiang Mai, lovely countryside and a joy to rent a motorbike and explore.
Cheers. Looking at end of November / start of December.

Offline exilescouse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2019, 05:03:06 am »
I've lived here 15 years now, let me know if I can help with any specifics. November is pretty much the ned of the rainy season so the weather tends to be decent.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2019, 02:03:31 pm »
I've lived here 15 years now, let me know if I can help with any specifics. November is pretty much the ned of the rainy season so the weather tends to be decent.

Likewise, I've been here over 5 years now and happy to stay. There's something about the way of life that is just easier and more relaxed than at home. Mai pen rai!
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 5, 2019, 10:50:24 pm »
Bangkok & Phuket booked ;D

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #58 on: March 5, 2019, 11:18:41 pm »
Just looked at the exchange rate!! Fk me.

I'm in Bangkok for a week end of May. Getting a bit bored of the same old islands so decided to check out the Philippines. Bracing myself for the food.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 6, 2019, 09:33:56 am »
Same. 500 quid is just under 21000 bahts. I don't know if that's good?

Offline JovaJova

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: March 8, 2019, 11:20:38 pm »

I'm in Bangkok for a week end of May. Getting a bit bored of the same old islands so decided to check out the Philippines. Bracing myself for the food.

In terms of natural beauty Philippines is second to none. Truly amazing place. Where have you planned to go out of interest ?
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #61 on: March 9, 2019, 12:07:19 am »
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #62 on: March 9, 2019, 12:54:27 am »
In terms of natural beauty Philippines is second to none. Truly amazing place. Where have you planned to go out of interest ?

I'm looking forward to it. Bantayan, Malapascua, Camotes, Panglao, then Boracay and Carabao island to finish off. Few days in Bangkok on the way back, as it may be my only opportunity of good Asian food this trip. [emoji23]

I had thought about Palawan but honestly I didn't want to go somewhere packed. Will see how this trip goes but I have some other places planned for next time including Balabac.

Offline JovaJova

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 9, 2019, 04:04:35 am »
I'm looking forward to it. Bantayan, Malapascua, Camotes, Panglao, then Boracay and Carabao island to finish off. Few days in Bangkok on the way back, as it may be my only opportunity of good Asian food this trip. [emoji23]

I had thought about Palawan but honestly I didn't want to go somewhere packed. Will see how this trip goes but I have some other places planned for next time including Balabac.

Sounds like quite a trip. Must have a few weeks off to be able to bounce around all of that. I’ve got Siargao, Cebu and Boracay planned for Easter as well. The food isn’t quite as bad as advertised but wise move to stop off in bangkok at the end. Hope it goes well.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 9, 2019, 06:43:11 am »

Boracay will also be packed mate. However I love the place. What station you staying?
 Im jealous
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 9, 2019, 06:47:28 am »
2 shitholes!!!

Thanks for the insight Mr Trump

Bangkok isnt for everyone, but its an amazing an exhilarating city.

As for Phuket, I guess you are specifically referring to Patong?  There are some very beautiful and tranquil parts to the Island you call a shithole
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #66 on: March 9, 2019, 11:44:54 am »
I never ended up going to the southern islands, I honestly didn't fancy being around a load of Westerners treating Thailand like a personal playground. But I don't know if that was just my own prejudice and actually the south is great.

I did go to a really nice island near the Cambodian border called Koh Chiang. It was tranquil, but still with a couple of bars to keep you entertained. I loved it. Also went up North around Chang Mai before heading over to Laos. It was my first time that far from Europe, so I have fond memories. Stepping into the madness of Bangkok was great - loads of people seem to hate big Asian cities but I love them.

I've since been to a few other places around South East Asia (Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia), but there is aspects of Thailand I miss, especially the food.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 9, 2019, 12:31:07 pm »
2 shitholes!!!

fucking hell

charm the paint off walls you

Offline wellred82

• Kopite
Thailand
« Reply #68 on: March 9, 2019, 07:53:16 pm »
Sounds like quite a trip. Must have a few weeks off to be able to bounce around all of that. I’ve got Siargao, Cebu and Boracay planned for Easter as well. The food isn’t quite as bad as advertised but wise move to stop off in bangkok at the end. Hope it goes well.

Just under a month mate. The problem I've found with planning an itinerary there, is there are way too many islands worth seeing. Siargo looks nice. I want to try learn to surf before I go there.

Boracay will also be packed mate. However I love the place. What station you staying?
 Im jealous

I'm hoping in May it will be a bit quieter as it's the shoulder season. But let's see. My hotel is around station 2. Not beachfront, but quite close.

I'm actually glad they've put in place some restrictions on drinking there as hopefully it won't be too noisy at night.

Thanks for the insight Mr Trump

Bangkok isnt for everyone, but its an amazing an exhilarating city.

As for Phuket, I guess you are specifically referring to Patong?  There are some very beautiful and tranquil parts to the Island you call a shithole

Bangkok and phuket are 2 of my favourite places in Thailand. Some pics from last time. Actually the 1st time I went to Bangkok I hated it. But now I love I and love walking around, checking out the temples by the river and amazing street food (best in the world imo). Love the rooftop bars too.

Side trip to Trang from Phuket

« Last Edit: March 9, 2019, 08:09:27 pm by wellred82 »

Offline wellred82

• Kopite
« Reply #69 on: March 9, 2019, 08:06:13 pm »
As I'm posting pics, here are some from my most recent trip. Koh Samui.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2019, 12:04:57 am »
Anyone here been to Pai?

I was there in 2008. Really nice place up in the hills north.
Hire a motorcycle for $3 a day and drive round the area
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline exilescouse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2019, 08:39:10 am »
Same. 500 quid is just under 21000 bahts. I don't know if that's good?

It depends what you are comparing it to, when I moved here the rate was 70 Baht to the pound, not it's around 40. I get paid in Baht  so for me it's not an issue, in fact I benefit when I go back to UK.,there are guys been here for years on pensions from the UK so they struggle now compared to years ago. 

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2019, 04:35:11 pm »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2019, 04:38:09 pm »
Just under a month mate. The problem I've found with planning an itinerary there, is there are way too many islands worth seeing. Siargo looks nice. I want to try learn to surf before I go there.
Great pics there.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2019, 04:38:52 pm »
It depends what you are comparing it to, when I moved here the rate was 70 Baht to the pound, not it's around 40. I get paid in Baht  so for me it's not an issue, in fact I benefit when I go back to UK.,there are guys been here for years on pensions from the UK so they struggle now compared to years ago. 
Going for 11 nights so unsure how much will be adequate for that time frame.

Offline wellred82

• Kopite
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2019, 05:58:39 pm »
wellred82, nice pics. The third pic looks familiar. Got back from Koh Samui the other day for my brothers wedding, the Thai people are really warm and friendly, stayed over on the coast of the south-western part of the island.

Personally I prefer the Amdaman side over the Eastern Gulf, but one thing I'll say about Samui is you get more of an island feel vs phuket which feels more like a coastal town. Samui is also a lot more laid back, especially Lamai. I like the bhat bus system too. Unfortunately taxis and tuk tuks on both islands are a total rip off. I think Phuket has a tourist bus which stops at the beaches all the way from patong to nai harn but I've never used it.

For me Trang is the last place I've found in the south which has not been completely over run with tourists aka Phi Phi. Amazing beaches and more of an isolated feel, but at the expense of bigger mosquitoes. As nice as Koh Ngai was, the constant having to kill 5-6 mosquitos every time I wanted to use the toilet was a pain.

I'm in need of a change now which is why I'm giving the Philippines a go.

Offline exilescouse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2019, 11:48:40 am »

It's hard for me to say mate without knowing what your plans are. A bottle of beer in Bangkok will cost around 100 Baht, more in go go bars.   Taxis are 35 Baht when you get in, always flag one down and not get one parked up that refuses to use their meter.  Street food is cheap, a big Mac meal is around 150 Baht,public transport is cheap. 5 blag tshirts in MBK should cost no more than 800 Baht.

Rule of thumb I always tell people if you are happy with the deal then it's a good deal.  But always bear in mind minimum wage is 330 Baht per day and many people only earn that amount. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 01:50:18 am by exilescouse »

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2019, 02:07:13 pm »

It's always difficult to know. The big difference would be if you eat local or western food. Eating local street food will save you loads. Same with the hotel, if you don't mind a bit of rough and ready you will get ridiculous deals.

I live here and wouldn't spend 1000 baht most days, although being a tourist is very different.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2019, 10:56:56 am »
It's always difficult to know. The big difference would be if you eat local or western food. Eating local street food will save you loads. Same with the hotel, if you don't mind a bit of rough and ready you will get ridiculous deals.

I live here and wouldn't spend 1000 baht most days, although being a tourist is very different.

It's hard for me to say mate without knowing what your plans are. A bottle of beer in Bangkok will cost around 100 Baht, more in go go bars.   Taxis are 35 Baht when you get in, always flag one down and not get one parked up that refuses to use their meter.  Street food is cheap, a big Mac meal is around 150 Baht,public transport is cheap. 5 blag tshirts in MBK should cost no more than 800 Baht.

Rule of thumb I always tell people if you are happy with the deal then it's a good deal.  But always bear in mind minimum wage is 330 Baht per day and many people only earn that amount. 
Thanks both. Any recommendations whilst I'm in Bangkok & Phuket?

Offline wellred82

• Kopite
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2019, 08:16:33 pm »
The good thing about Thailand is there is an abundance of street food and not only is it as good as anything you'll find in a restaurant here, it's cheap. That said you won't be eating on the street every day. But it's nice when you see something which piques your interest.

You'll see street food everywhere in Bangkok but there are some hot spots. China town, near the malls and markets ect. Spend some time looking at Mark Wiens on YouTube. He's gone to the trouble of seeking out some the best restaurants and street food.

One favourite of mine is is ผัดไทย ประตุพี / Pad Thai Pratu Pee. Pad Thai is everywhere in Thailand and it's always good, but this place is special and not overpriced. It opens in the afternoon so you could tie it in after a visit to the grand palace or wat saket which is around the corner.

Thipsamai Pad Thai
313 315 Maha Chai Rd, Khwaeng Samran Rat, Khet Phra Nakhon, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10200, Thailand
+66 2 226 6666
https://goo.gl/maps/6m8Tuic3qtG2

Most of the big malls will have food courts. Again the quality is great although you will pay a bit more in places like Siam Paragon or Emquatier.

There's lots of western food about. If you're staying on Sukhumvit you'll see it. Naturally it costs a bit more. Don't bother with wine or steak unless you want to pay silly money. Some good burger joints though.

Phuket is probably the most expensive place in Thailand, although food wise it's more or less the same as in Bangkok. It depends really though if you eat local or foreign and where you are staying. Places like Kata and Karon are a bit more upmarket so be prepared to pay more. Patong is more varied and has some great street food markets. My favourite is Banzaan which runs every night. Everything from mango sticky rice to bbq crocodile.

Money wise thailand is cheap compared to Europe, but it's not as cheap as it was 10 years ago. The £ is shit and the bhat is doing well. If you're going drinking every night and going for craft beers then you'll be nearly uk prices. Usually I budget 5-8k bhat a day. Some days I'll spend more sometimes less. No matter how much you decide to take, take double. Because everyone always spends more than they intend to when they go somewhere new.

Some tips to keep the costs down:

Avoid tuk tuks. In chiang mai they are ok, but in Bangkok they are a rip off. In Phuket you definitely want to avoid them. To give you an example I usually pay 200-300 bhat for a metered taxi from Suvarnabhhmi to Sukhumvit. In Phuket it's 600 bhat to go from patong to Karon beach. Utter rip off and the tuk tuks there are basically a mafia.

Taxis in Bangkok are ok but make sure they use the meter. When you get in make a point to ask if they will use the meter. If they say no, smile and wait for the next one. Avoid taxis in Phuket.

The traffic in Bangkok is quite often shit, so you won't want to use a taxi most of the time unless it's really early or really late. Get acquainted with the BTS and MRT skytrain. It's dirt cheap and reliable. Imo it beats the socks off the London Underground. Has Wi-fi and AC as well. I'll always try and use the skytrain and if I'm feeling lazy a motorbike taxi.