Author Topic: Thailand  (Read 14728 times)

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Thailand
« on: August 29, 2015, 02:36:48 am »
Well it looks as though I'm considering a trip to Thailand with my girlfriend sometime late this year/early next year (mainly to avoid the heat), and just wanted to see if anyone on RAWK lives there, has lived there or has visited and can give me a heads up on what to expect. And for the record no, I'm not going for their infamous Thai "massages" or other exotic indulgements that may have enticed me as a single man.  ;D

Obviously we'll first make our way to Bangkok, then Phuket and then we'll probably take a flight to Chiang Mai as well. I've lived in America and have traveled extensively in Europe, but have never been to an Asian country before. What can I generally expect there? How do the locals view foreign visitors? Any particular cultural aspects/and or customs that are interesting or should be aware of? I quite like Thai food, so the cuisine-part of this trip should be quite exciting. Also beside the obvious well-known tourist attractions, are there any lesser-known places or things to do that are worth visiting or experiencing?

I could pick up one of those generic travel guides (in fact I already have), but I figure there's nothing better than hearing it from someone who has been there and experienced it.

Cheers.  :)

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Thailand
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:19:17 am »
A few other places to consider that should be easy enough for you

Ayutthaya - day trip from BKK or stay the night. Wonderful city with lots of old ruins and temples that you can stroll or cycle around. A bit like a miniature Siem Reap

Kanchanaburi - 3 hours from Bangkok. I love this place. Lots of history as it is where the 'Bridge over the River kwai is. Thousands of people died here during the war building the railway into Burma so there are lots of museums and day trips to see the 'death railway'. It has some stunning countryside as well and Erawan National Park has a 7 tiered waterfall that is a big tourist draw. Highly recommend fitting this into your schedule

Alternatives to Phuket which is a very big island - Samui / Koh Tao, Krabi (and pick and island) or Lanta (opposite to Phuket so you can still access the same islands but much quieter). Personally not the biggest fan of Phuket unless you have picked one of the quieter beaches. Depends what you want, you will get plenty of the famous thai nightlife in BKK

Overall you will obviously love Thailand. Thailand depends on tourism. Everything is easy, the food is amazing, the people are friendly, the weather is reliable (although it is always hot). Hotels are on a whole other level of luxury to most of what you will get in Europe. You will have a great time no matter where you choose.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:32:41 am by JovaJova »
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 07:24:02 am »
Haha; You'll find the massages are probably one of the best things. A couple of quid for an hour, I was getting one on the beach every day.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 09:00:02 am »
I live in Thailand, up in the north-east.

Unlike someone esle who replied I'm a big fan of Phuket. I actually don't like the quieter beach areas as, for one thing, I never spend a nanosecond wasting time on beaches. It's all about what to do in the evening after the usual daytime sightseeing.

I stayed at a 5-star hotel in Karon Beach once and while the hotel was fabulous, the area was pretty dead at night, so every night we went by taxi to Patong, a few miles away. Patong is the main resort and has excellent hotels and restaurants and if you like lively bars - and I do - there's a very lively complex around Bangla Road, which is off the beach road. Nowadays I only ever stay in Patong if I go to Phuket.

Samui is perhaps more scenic than Phuket but, unless you fly there, the ferry takes more than an hour and a half, so it's not too convenient. The main resort there is Chaweng. Nowhere near as lively as Patong but there's plenty of stuff there to keep you occupied.

Hua Hin is one of the main resorts on the mainland but I found it a bit quiet. But if you like quiet places with big beaches it could be for you.

I'm also a big fan of Pattaya. A lot of people get sniffy about it because of its racier side, but it has something for everybody. Great shopping, loads of restaurants and thousands of bars. It's as lively a city as anywhere in the world so you'll never be bored.

Getting around is very easy. Flights are very cheap and flying is the way to go if you want to get around quickly. Don't even consider going by train unless you're a train buff and/or have plenty of time on your hands. The fares are very cheap but the trains are prehistoric, slow and uncomfortable and the timetable seems irrelevant.

There's also a very good minibus network covering the whole country. You can get from somewhere like Bangkok to Pattaya in a couple of hours for something like 120 Baht (fares vary slightly), which is currently just a little over two quid.

Eating out is very cheap unless you go to international chains or eat in the big shopping malls, where prices can be at western levels.

Taxis are cheap but in places like Bangkok they often try to negotiate a fare rather than switch the meter on (which they're required to do), so make sure the meter's on once your ride starts.

Anyway I can give more specific advice if you have any particular queries

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 01:44:20 pm »
The South is beautiful but the tuk tuk and taxi Mafia ruin it. If you plan to hire a bike though then you will be alright. I just got back from koh samui. I usually spend my time in Phuket so I'm used to the crowds. Samui seems a bit more laid back, perhaps like what Phuket was 15 years ago.

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
Thailand
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 01:50:48 pm »
Overall Thailand is fantastic. I go there at least once a year, sometimes twice. Lots to see in Bangkok and Chiang mai. Although there are some folks here with info I suggest if you want to plan properly you spend some time on some of the dedicated Thailand forums such as Thai Visa, Thai dreaming ect. Also if you plan to spend some time with elephants in Chiang mai please don't go to one of the places where they make them do some stupid show and have to have those chairs strapped to them. Go to somewhere proper that looks after them such as Patara. They are more expensive but at least you know they take care of them.

Plenty to see in Phuket too. Not sure if you and the Mrs plan to see the nightlife. If that's important to you then maybe stay in patong. If not stay in kata or karon where the beach is a lot nicer plus there are some bars for an evening drink or live music.

Spend some time reading on Thai culture and specifically what not to do to avoid offending them. Happy to field any specific questions but your best off checking out one of the other forums.

Also be sure to check the weather in advance. E.g December in Phuket is nice as it's the cool season but on Samui it's just coming out of monsoon season so you can expect rain.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:00:28 pm by wellred82 »

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:09:02 pm »
I've been living here for the last 2 years, in a smallish town North East Thailand.

If you're going to Chiang Mai, I'd definitley check out Pai. It's a couple of hours from Chiang Mai, up a mountain with little windy roads. If you're confident on a motorbike I would recommend renting one and driving there, it's a beautiful drive.

Don't expect shopping malls, Burger Kings or nightclubs (although there were a few when i went there)... but it's a beautiful small town which is becoming more of a tourist spot as people catch onto it. Not a whole lot to do there but thats why I liked it, its a nice break from the usual madness of Thailand.  Spend a couple of days there, bring a good book, take the missus on some beautiful walks at sunset... sorted.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:11:24 pm by tommyLFC »
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 11:28:30 pm »
Went to Pattaya in june,my first time to Thailand. It took me a few days to get my head Round the place,eventually i did. Already planning to go back in December,i think il give Pattaya a week and then go somewhere else for a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the information in this thread so far.

Offline wellred82

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 04:23:06 am »
Not stepped foot in Pattaya yet and don't plan on it either. It looks like the arsehole of Thailand (with all the dregs of society to go with) plus there's not much in the way of things to see or do compared with other places. I suppose if your into the girly scene then it's probably Disneyland.

Funny story was on the London to Bangkok leg of my recent trip and was sat next to this nice couple so got chatting. Turns out this was their 1st trip to the kingdom but also they were headed to Pattaya. I resisted saying something but was thinking either they have done zero research and have been sold on some photoshopped pic of Pattaya beach (which no one should step foot in) or they want to try spice up their marriage lol

Offline JovaJova

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 05:28:39 am »
Not stepped foot in Pattaya yet and don't plan on it either. It looks like the arsehole of Thailand (with all the dregs of society to go with) plus there's not much in the way of things to see or do compared with other places. I suppose if your into the girly scene then it's probably Disneyland.

Funny story was on the London to Bangkok leg of my recent trip and was sat next to this nice couple so got chatting. Turns out this was their 1st trip to the kingdom but also they were headed to Pattaya. I resisted saying something but was thinking either they have done zero research and have been sold on some photoshopped pic of Pattaya beach (which no one should step foot in) or they want to try spice up their marriage lol

Outside of Manila, Pattaya is the worst place I've been in Asia. Horrible tip of a place that is inhabited by sex mad tourists, mostly from Russia. It surely also must have the worst beaches in Thailand. If you are with your girlfriend I would stay well clear. You will learn nothing about the country and see none of it's natural beauty by going to Pattaya.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:44:09 am by JovaJova »
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 05:41:13 am »
Won't it be monsoon season between Nov and Feb?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline wellred82

• Kopite
Thailand
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 09:41:39 am »
Won't it be monsoon season between Nov and Feb?

In most of of the country it will be high season, meaning cooler temperatures and less rainfall. The only place id say that has a higher chance of rain is on the Gulf side of the south so Surat Thani province/Samui/Phangan ect

Otherwise this is the best time of year to go.

t surely also must have the worst beaches in Thailand.

I know mate. Baffles me how some people go and spend their entire trip there. I like to do stuff during the day like hit a beach, island hop or see some temples.

The best island I've been to so far is Koh Lipe. It's right down in the south literally on tip of Thailand as the next stop is Langkawi. Very quiet and amazing beaches. Although no ATMs which did piss me off s bit. One of the beaches here is called Pattaya although it's a lot nicer than the one most people think of. It's where most of the speedboats and long tails pull in though but has some good areas for snorkelling.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:48:48 am by wellred82 »

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2015, 04:06:49 am »
Thanks for all the input and pictures. It's highly appreciated. I haven't gotten around to this thread after the debacle that was West Ham, but I've now read all the responses.

I suppose I'll leave Pattaya out of the itinerary, as I almost everybody I've spoken to says it'd be best to avoid it. Besides, nightclubs and the overall craziness everybody talks about really isn't my thing. I suppose I'll see enough of that in Bangkok. Seeing as though Chiang Mai is indeed on my list, I think I'll be making my way over to Pai as well.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2015, 04:08:23 am by Caligula? »

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 3, 2015, 10:59:22 am »
If up north then you may as well take in the golden triangle at Chiang rai and the Mae Hong Son province as a whole offers quite a bit.

If you want to do the north though you will need mopeds IMO. It will get too tourist trap like otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2015, 11:03:56 am by Johnnyboy1973 »
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline exilescouse

• Lack sufficient letters for real testicles.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: September 3, 2015, 11:29:19 am »
I have livein Thailand for the last 10 years, married to a Thai, I live on the edge of Bangkok

I know the good and the bad of the country,and the people.

For island my favourites are Koh Chang, Koh Mak and Koh Kood, away from package tours, mostly visited by thais and expats rather than tourists. Quiet and relaxing.

I know kanchanaburi well having walked the death railway and a good frind rund the Commonwalth war Grave Commission there, looking after the cemeteries. A beautiful province that make you forget the horrors that were inflicted there.

Avoid Koh Toa and Samui, never set foot there whilst the charade continues and two Burmese patsies a standing trial for the murder of two brits lst year whilst the whole country knows who the real perpetrators are.

Listen, there is a lot to know, a lot to see and a lot to avoid. I am happy to answer specifics but as you can imagine after 10 years I hav a lot of info, whats good for the goose is not always good for the gander, so we may like different things.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 3, 2015, 03:24:12 pm »
One thing I might add is if your up near Chang mai it might be worth going into loas for a bit and doing the gibbon experience. Went 2 years ago and it was by far and away the best thing I done out there.  Just Google gibbon experience loas and it'll come up and check out some youtube videos.

Another place I've not seen mentioned is railey beach in krabi. Good for relaxing or theres sea kayaking and mountain climbing that can be done. It's been ruined a bit by tourism but is still decent

If your into partying I'd try and get in the full moon at koh phangan but make sure you sort accommodation and as close to hadrin as possible. If you do go as soon as it's over leave the island as nothing else happens there. Its right near samui so easy to sort out the next stop as there's also an airport on samui.

Most accommodation doesn't need booking. Only one I done was for the full moon, other than that it was look on the Internet for places so I had a rough idea. But I didn't purposely plan my stay as it meant if I liked a place I could stay longer and if I didn't I could go somewhere else. I just went with a rough idea on the route to go to get to places/events/activities that I wanted to do and then if I heard of anywhere in between that sounded worthwhile I could still go

Personally I preferred loas as I found it less influenced by tourists. But even the tourist areas had some decent things about them.  Although if you go phuket and head to patong beach see how long you can last. Bat shit crazy place.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2015, 03:34:13 pm by macca007 »

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: September 4, 2015, 11:37:52 am »
I am going with my wife for 2 weeks in late November-December. 3 nights Bangkok then the rest in Phuket. 2 nights doing a jungle safari and then Patong to do some diving and drinking!

Any suggestions of things to do in Bangkok other than the obvious gratefully received!

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #17 on: September 5, 2015, 02:35:49 pm »
I am going with my wife for 2 weeks in late November-December. 3 nights Bangkok then the rest in Phuket. 2 nights doing a jungle safari and then Patong to do some diving and drinking!

Any suggestions of things to do in Bangkok other than the obvious gratefully received!

Take a meditation class with local monks, a lot places are free with anonymous donation accepted :)
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #18 on: September 5, 2015, 05:40:48 pm »

In three years in Bangkok, I have had one Thai massage, and I will not be getting another - it was the worst pain of my life. They manage to get the skin of your back and scrape it against the bone of your back, so that any structural relief it might offer is offset by fucking ... I don't know what to call it, but like excruciating epidermal misery. Just a second opinion on the famous "Thai massage"  :wave

I think you'll find that your money goes a long, long way here, unless you really live it up at Westernized restaurants and hotels and the like. The street food is great in a lot of places. One thing you might want to check out is Chatuchuk Market in Bangkok, if you are looking for souvenirs - it might kind of eat up a lot of your day because there is so much to see, but if you are looking for trinkets that would be a good place to start. There are some nice places to go out for a drink and a dance in Thong Lor, which is right around the corner from me - it's not seedy like Soi Cowboy and the other girlie bars (which I've never been to, but can imagine), but it is still in central downtown. There is a place called Kao Sarn Road which you might read about, but unless you really, really enjoy the company of backpacking white c*nts on their worst behaviour, it is possibly the last place I'd go here (bar the jungle, which is teeming with snakes, obviously). (Two days ago I saw a crocodile-looking massive lizard about the size of a rack of lamb, so it's not like the reptiles don't make their way into the city as well.)

No matter when you come here, it is going to be as hot as all fuck, so pack accordingly. Also, be careful when crossing the street, or around drivers in general - it's not crazy dangerous, or anything, but they are flaky when it comes to safety. Someone above mentioned to make sure the taxi driver turns on the meter - this is crucial. Don't agree to a price beforehand - just go according to the meter. The motorcycle taxis are very convenient, and even when they cheat you, it is still very cheap. It won't be the safest thing you will ever do, but you will probably not die. You don't really have to worry about learning the customs - they are not so serious about these things, and are accustomed to tourists and foreigners, and they are going to smile at you regardless. Be prepared for a lot of the people you encounter to be severely lacking in English competence (bar the hotels, where they are usually quite decent) - at 7-11, for example, you'll be lucky if they understand you. It's not a big problem, though. It's only 7-11 after all  ;D Also, whilst in Bangkok, assume that the traffic will be horrible no matter what time of day or what day of the week it is - allow some wiggle room in your schedule for this.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #19 on: September 9, 2015, 05:38:08 am »
In three years in Bangkok, I have had one Thai massage, and I will not be getting another - it was the worst pain of my life. They manage to get the skin of your back and scrape it against the bone of your back, so that any structural relief it might offer is offset by fucking ... I don't know what to call it, but like excruciating epidermal misery. Just a second opinion on the famous "Thai massage"  :wave

I think you'll find that your money goes a long, long way here, unless you really live it up at Westernized restaurants and hotels and the like. The street food is great in a lot of places. One thing you might want to check out is Chatuchuk Market in Bangkok, if you are looking for souvenirs - it might kind of eat up a lot of your day because there is so much to see, but if you are looking for trinkets that would be a good place to start. There are some nice places to go out for a drink and a dance in Thong Lor, which is right around the corner from me - it's not seedy like Soi Cowboy and the other girlie bars (which I've never been to, but can imagine), but it is still in central downtown. There is a place called Kao Sarn Road which you might read about, but unless you really, really enjoy the company of backpacking white c*nts on their worst behaviour, it is possibly the last place I'd go here (bar the jungle, which is teeming with snakes, obviously). (Two days ago I saw a crocodile-looking massive lizard about the size of a rack of lamb, so it's not like the reptiles don't make their way into the city as well.)

No matter when you come here, it is going to be as hot as all fuck, so pack accordingly. Also, be careful when crossing the street, or around drivers in general - it's not crazy dangerous, or anything, but they are flaky when it comes to safety. Someone above mentioned to make sure the taxi driver turns on the meter - this is crucial. Don't agree to a price beforehand - just go according to the meter. The motorcycle taxis are very convenient, and even when they cheat you, it is still very cheap. It won't be the safest thing you will ever do, but you will probably not die. You don't really have to worry about learning the customs - they are not so serious about these things, and are accustomed to tourists and foreigners, and they are going to smile at you regardless. Be prepared for a lot of the people you encounter to be severely lacking in English competence (bar the hotels, where they are usually quite decent) - at 7-11, for example, you'll be lucky if they understand you. It's not a big problem, though. It's only 7-11 after all  ;D Also, whilst in Bangkok, assume that the traffic will be horrible no matter what time of day or what day of the week it is - allow some wiggle room in your schedule for this.

Haha, love the brutal honest there mate. Not something I'd likely see in one of those travel guides.  ;D

Obviously there will be loads of these, but any recommendations for good casual dining restaurants, preferably Thai and in the very heart of Bangkok? I can live off street food every day, but the missus will want something more upscale and "authentic" in terms of restaurants more than once I'd imagine.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 9, 2015, 12:09:13 pm »
Haha, love the brutal honest there mate. Not something I'd likely see in one of those travel guides.  ;D

Obviously there will be loads of these, but any recommendations for good casual dining restaurants, preferably Thai and in the very heart of Bangkok? I can live off street food every day, but the missus will want something more upscale and "authentic" in terms of restaurants more than once I'd imagine.

If you want authentic make sure you get this dish

http://shesimmers.com/2010/09/thai-crispy-fish-with-green-mango-salad-yam-pla-duk-fu-%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%9F%E0%B8%B9-in-memory-of-the-pla-called-duk.html

Basically its deep fried catfish with salad.  I loved it though.

Offline Wallingtonian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 07:22:18 am »

The main area frequented by tourists (other then backpackers in the Kao Sahn road area) is around Sukhumvit Road. The main area is from around soi 4 heading east to Asoke road. The Skytrain passes along Sukhumvit Road. There are loads of casual Thai restaurants in just about every soi (the name for narrow side roads off main roads), so just have a wander and take your pick. Prices are pretty reasonable. The very basic looking pavement restaurants (literally tables laid out on the pavement adjacent to a cooking area) offer superb value with a main course costing about 40-45 Baht or so, currently about just over 70p to just over 80p (about 55.5 Baht to the pound at the moment with the trend going up, so prices are getting cheaper here).

Offline JovaJova

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 01:32:45 pm »

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3163534-Reviews-The_Local-Bangkok.html

Or try the restaurant in Sala Rattanakosin Hotel. It overlooks Wat Arun and you'll struggle for a better setting

There are shopping malls scattered everywhere with amazing food courts in them as well. Try Central World and Terminal 21.

Or just spend ten mins researching the net

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 01:37:46 pm »

Overall you will obviously love Thailand. Thailand depends on tourism. Everything is easy, the food is amazing, the people are friendly, the weather is reliable (although it is always hot). Hotels are on a whole other level of luxury to most of what you will get in Europe. You will have a great time no matter where you choose.

This is IMO the problem with Thailand, too easy, not an adventure or challenge. Except for the scenery and weather you may as well go to Spain. I suggest India.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 03:39:42 pm »
This is IMO the problem with Thailand, too easy, not an adventure or challenge. Except for the scenery and weather you may as well go to Spain. I suggest India.

I've done both and wouldn't go back to India. It's down to the people, I never felt safe in India but never feel anything but safe in Thailand. Unless that is the challenge you are looking for?  :lickin

There's plenty of adveture and challenge in Thailand, just none of the tourists go there.

Offline Wallingtonian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 10:27:00 am »
Outside of Manila, Pattaya is the worst place I've been in Asia. Horrible tip of a place that is inhabited by sex mad tourists, mostly from Russia. It surely also must have the worst beaches in Thailand. If you are with your girlfriend I would stay well clear. You will learn nothing about the country and see none of it's natural beauty by going to Pattaya.
I think you're doing a disservice to Pattaya. It's a fine place for a visit. Excellent shopping malls, great restaurants and hotels as well as a vast number of bars. The bars cater to all tastes. Nobody has a gun held to their head and is made to go to the girly bars. There are many other bars, like the usual fake Irish bars and the like, as well as lots of places playing live rock music - thais love their rock music. So any impression that it's all girly bars is complete nonsense. It's all down to preferences. Whatever type of bar you like is available.

To say that Pattaya is inhabited by "...sex tourists, mostly Russian..." Is not only a ridiculous generalisation, it's also wrong. The sex tourists seem to be just about anyone but the Russians. It's a family holiday resort for Russians so you always see them as groups of young couples or families with children. It's the westerners, Indians and Arabs who go there who make up the great majority of sex tourists.

Incidentally, for the sensitive souls who find sex tourists bothersome and can't simple ignore them like the rest of us, you'll find them in every single place that tourists go to, like Bangkok, Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai, as well as Pattaya. In fact they can also be found in provincial cities a long way off the tourist trail too. Once again, nobody holds a gun to your head to make you hang out in the same places as them

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 11:39:51 am »
Thailand is a very lovely country with great, friendly people.

I must admit I didn't like Pattaya beach much though, found it all a bit embarrasing..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline JovaJova

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2015, 06:18:55 am »

Don't really see how you could compare the common tourists spots in Thailand to Spain to be honest. It's a completely different experience. In fact I'm struggling to think of any similarity except for beaches (of which Thailand's are better). Then of course you have the food.

But people go on holiday for varying reasons. India would indeed be a challenge and you would spend as much time being frustrated as you would having your eyes opened at something new. It's a place that needs time and patience. Thailand is as good a place as any to just chill the hell out and relax (or go crazy). There's plenty of scope for adventure as well given the many jungles / national parks / islands / highlands.

@ Wallingtonian,

Agree to disagree on Pattaya. The nightlife is great but that's about it. Plenty more to see and do elsewhere so would never recommend it to anyone.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 07:23:41 pm »
Got to know lots of Thai people in Liverpool recently, mainly female friends of my Thai girlfriend. They are all lovely people, seem to be very relaxed and more laid back than the yer regular Brit!

The Thai girls seem to stick together as a close knit unit of friends, that's why it's mainly just female Thai people I know.

All her friends regularly go home and tell me what a marvellous place it is, haha sounds a bit hot for me (don't like hot weather!) not keen on flying either, but one day I will make the trip there.

Forget for the moment where my girlfriend is from, a small village somewhere, I'll ask her later, miles away from all the big Cities etc I know that.

Love all the Thai 'nick names' most Thai children are at given at birth, these names normally stick for life and most people I know actually only each other by that nick name, not their official birth name!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 10:55:36 pm »

Love all the Thai 'nick names' most Thai children are at given at birth, these names normally stick for life and most people I know actually only each other by that nick name, not their official birth name!

There are, in no particular order: Cartoon, Milk, Porn, Fook, Nancy, Jib, Jerk, Dong, Tea, Tee, T, Corn, Poo ... and many more.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Wallingtonian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 1, 2015, 05:50:35 am »
Got to know lots of Thai people in Liverpool recently, mainly female friends of my Thai girlfriend. They are all lovely people, seem to be very relaxed and more laid back than the yer regular Brit!

The Thai girls seem to stick together as a close knit unit of friends, that's why it's mainly just female Thai people I know.

All her friends regularly go home and tell me what a marvellous place it is, haha sounds a bit hot for me (don't like hot weather!) not keen on flying either, but one day I will make the trip there.

Forget for the moment where my girlfriend is from, a small village somewhere, I'll ask her later, miles away from all the big Cities etc I know that.

They are always known by their nicknames for their entire life. Their proper first name is only ever used on official documents, like ID cards, passports etc.

My wife told me that they are given two names at birth in order to confuse evil spirits and so protect the baby. Thirty days after a baby's born they shave the kid's head and that signifies they've managed to get through that difficult early period when they would be most vulnerable to attack by evil spirits.

You have to remember here that all Thais are completely barmy and superstitious. Without exception they believe in such nonsense. My wife spent a couple of thousand Baht last week (the thick end of forty quid - a decent sum out here) preparing loads of food. This is taken to the local Buddhist temple at this time of year and left there to feed the ghosts of dead relatives. It's supposed to last the ghosts until the same time next year. When I made a scornful remark about it she got quite angry and said non-believers have bad luck for saying such things.

The nicknames are quite diverse and most are Thai words. "Noi" is easily the commonest name for girls, meaning small or little. "Nok" is Thai for bird and lots of girls get called that too. But English-language names are very popular and some of them are comical to our ears.

For instance, some boys are called just "Boy" believe it or not, while girls names I've come across here include Pancake, Donut, Coke, Sprite and Fanta, as well as Shampoo. It's hard to keep a straight face sometimes! Fortunately my wife and daughters have normal boring nicknames in Thai and difficult to pronounce official names.

Offline Wallingtonian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 1, 2015, 06:01:21 am »
Don't really see how you could compare the common tourists spots in Thailand to Spain to be honest. It's a completely different experience. In fact I'm struggling to think of any similarity except for beaches (of which Thailand's are better). Then of course you have the food.

But people go on holiday for varying reasons. India would indeed be a challenge and you would spend as much time being frustrated as you would having your eyes opened at something new. It's a place that needs time and patience. Thailand is as good a place as any to just chill the hell out and relax (or go crazy). There's plenty of scope for adventure as well given the many jungles / national parks / islands / highlands.

@ Wallingtonian,

Agree to disagree on Pattaya. The nightlife is great but that's about it. Plenty more to see and do elsewhere so would never recommend it to anyone.
Personally I put a good nightlife very high on my list of requirements for any holiday venue and I've never found anywhere in the world as lively as Pattaya. There's plenty of other stuff to do there too, even the usual tourist-trap stuff like a floating market. You can get ferries to local islands like Koh Larn for just 30 Baht each way, so it makes for a really cheap and interesting day out. It's also only about 45 minutes by road to the ferries to islands like Koh Chang (third biggest Thai island) and Koh Samet.

But I'm a very adventurous tourist and always look for the positives in places and always enjoy myself and it's impossible to go to Pattaya and not enjoy it. A person would have to be a po-faced prude or be very insecure to find Pattaya boring, uninteresting or embarrassing - as someone else inexplicably said

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #32 on: October 1, 2015, 07:31:28 pm »
They are always known by their nicknames for their entire life. Their proper first name is only ever used on official documents, like ID cards, passports etc.

My wife told me that they are given two names at birth in order to confuse evil spirits and so protect the baby. Thirty days after a baby's born they shave the kid's head and that signifies they've managed to get through that difficult early period when they would be most vulnerable to attack by evil spirits.

You have to remember here that all Thais are completely barmy and superstitious. Without exception they believe in such nonsense. My wife spent a couple of thousand Baht last week (the thick end of forty quid - a decent sum out here) preparing loads of food. This is taken to the local Buddhist temple at this time of year and left there to feed the ghosts of dead relatives. It's supposed to last the ghosts until the same time next year. When I made a scornful remark about it she got quite angry and said non-believers have bad luck for saying such things.

The nicknames are quite diverse and most are Thai words. "Noi" is easily the commonest name for girls, meaning small or little. "Nok" is Thai for bird and lots of girls get called that too. But English-language names are very popular and some of them are comical to our ears.

For instance, some boys are called just "Boy" believe it or not, while girls names I've come across here include Pancake, Donut, Coke, Sprite and Fanta, as well as Shampoo. It's hard to keep a straight face sometimes! Fortunately my wife and daughters have normal boring nicknames in Thai and difficult to pronounce official names.

Yeah I can relate to their superstitions, in my girlfriends house I often find little snacks in strange places (the kind of thing a child would leave out for Santa) they are left out for the very reasons you explained.

I often go to the Temple in Runcorn with my girlfriend, very interesting experience and after prayers lots of free food!

Been a bit of a baby boom amongst her friends, and yes saw lots of shaved babies heads appear not long after their birth.
The names thing I love, so cute I reckon!
« Last Edit: October 1, 2015, 07:33:46 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Traveling to/and entering Thailand
« Reply #33 on: June 3, 2017, 10:11:54 pm »
Hello all, a while back I think I made a thread about travel suggestions while vacationing in Thailand - such as places to go and to see and what specifically to do - seeing as I was going to go soon. I appreciate anyone who replied in that thread and those suggestions were duly noted. Circumstances delayed my going significantly, but I'm finally going on holiday this month.  :)

I do have a customs question about entering the country and what I can bring in and can't. As it will be my first time ever there, I've checked their customs website and information on dutiable items that can be brought into the country. Obviously I'm very well aware of what not to bring and am not bringing anything even close to being illegal or prohibited, but the dutiable items and fees part has confused me and it's all just a bit confusing really.

I'll be bringing a used laptop and tablet with me, along with clothing and other personal effects such as an electric shaver and things of that nature. Am I supposed to declare items such as these? I really don't want to pass through that green zone with "nothing to declare" and then get searched and realize I should've declared something on a form that I didn't. I know some rawk-ites live there and quite a few have gone there, so any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks.  :wave

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
Re: Traveling to/and entering Thailand
« Reply #34 on: June 4, 2017, 08:58:56 am »
We have family in Thailand and as a UK Passport holder we have no issues bringing in tech gear... we always travel with two iPads in our main luggage and our iPhone's in our hand luggage.

Everything you listed below is not an issue, clothes, electronic goods and would be treated as personal day to day items. Obviously if you are carrying bulk items of Lab-tops and other Electronic items you may be stopped but it would have to be a lot of gear.   
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline exilescouse

• Anny Roader
Re: Traveling to/and entering Thailand
« Reply #35 on: June 6, 2017, 02:37:42 pm »
I have lived in Thailand now for 11 years.  You will have no issue with what you want to bring in.  IF there is an issue you can easily show the items are not new as they will be full of old data..

As for any other questions you might have, please feel free to ask.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 07:29:15 am »
I have lived in Thailand now for 11 years.  You will have no issue with what you want to bring in.  IF there is an issue you can easily show the items are not new as they will be full of old data..

As for any other questions you might have, please feel free to ask.

Where about do you live mate?  I'm heading to Pattaya for a month in July to a training/fitness camp.  Any suggestions for trips on days off?

Offline exilescouse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2017, 05:42:18 am »
I live close to the main airport, so Bangkok really.

Plenty to do in and around Pattaya although I don't frequent there too much myself, I prefer to head to Hua Hin.

It pretty much all depends on what your tastes are, pattaya is a party town, beaches not too great but the navy base at Sattahip  has a great beach, also head to a few islands, koh Samet is close by and also Koh Si Chang.  Koh Chang is a little further away..

If you get a couple of days off head to bangkok to do the tourist things here.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:54:49 am by exilescouse »

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2017, 07:55:56 am »
The first four weeks I'm in the camp training and will have limited time to actually get out anywhere seriously.  I think 3 or so hours a day and maybe some nights.  Then once a week a day off.  So maybe I'll try and hit up the islands on the day off and do some local bits and pieces during the day time.

When I was looking at this trip I was originally going to go to a place at Hua Hin but ended up at this place in Pattaya instead.

I've given myself a week at the end though to wind down and chill.  Bangkok the place to do that you reckon?  Was thinking maybe a few days on a beach and then maybe a few in Bangkok.

Offline exilescouse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2017, 05:02:42 pm »
Bangkok is not really the place to chill, it's hectic, but well worth a few days here. For a few days to chill on the beach go to Koh Samet, not too far from Pattaya and some great beaches there. Get a minibus from Pattaya to the ferry to the island, it's about one hour journey.

Bangkok is just a big busy city, but there are some pockets of solitude on the river or in some temples, there is definitely enough here to fill a few days.

Everything I have mentioned are all within a few hours, no need to go further afield really, but that said a cheap flight to Siem Reap in Cambodia is worth it for Ankor Wat, watching the sun rise over that place is spectacular and the sheer scale of the temple is amazing.