Author Topic: What Podcasts do you listen to?  (Read 152155 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: What Podcasts do you listen to?
« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2014, 09:52:51 am »
The Stephen Fry episode is quite moving, and it's really quite funny when Herring acts like a cock and accidentally pisses his guests off.

Have you listened to the Stephen Merchant one yet?

*edit* and yes, the Stephen Fry episode was moving and fascinating.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:55:35 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2014, 09:54:27 am »
Have you listened to the Stephen Merchant one yet?

Ha ha yes...

Funny stuff
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2014, 02:02:46 pm »
Stone Cold's podcast and Dan Carlin's Hardcore History: http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/hharchive

Dan Carlin's hardcore history, I like it too. I find it to be different from other historian pod casts as it talks about the events taking into consideration that you and me were present in it kind of stuff. More revealing but relatively the same, information wise. A good pod cast if you need a different perspective.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:06:52 pm by Latenight Surfer »
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2014, 06:33:48 pm »
Only really listen to the Anfield Wrap and the 5times ones when they have some of our ex-players on :)
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2014, 01:42:05 am »
Recently got into the RHLSTPo shows as well. Ironically while looking for more Stewart Lee stuff. He'd love that.

Iannucci & Linehan comes highly recommended.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2014, 02:42:54 am »
The Conspiracy Skeptic - again, does what it says on the tin.

Books & Nachos/Now Playing - Now Playing do film reviews. The USP is that they will look at an upcoming new release and do a series on every related film. So they'll do the obvious such as the Avengers films, Marvel superheroes, Living Dead but they've also done series on every film based on a Phillip K Dick book. http://www.nowplayingpodcast.com/archives.htm Books and Nachos is the companion series about the books/comics/graphic novels the films are based on.

The Skeptics Guide to the Universe - the Daddy of Sceptical podcasts with Steve Novella and his sceptical rogues. If you haven't listened to it and you have a brain I highly recommend it. And go back to the beginning to hear the wonderful Perry DeAngelis (who sadly died) and his views on who would win in a fight between monkeys and birds...

The Tolkein Professor - a must for anyone interested in all things Tolkein. Professor Corey Olson is a professor of English and has series on how to read Tolkein, series on the books and the films. They are currently doing a series called Riddles in the Dark making predictions and reviewing the Hobbit films.

Cheers for these.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline MazzaKopter

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2014, 01:44:49 am »
Really stuggling for something to listen to, dont want anything football related tonight. I liked Richard Hering Leicester Square Podcast but finished that. Any suggestions?

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2014, 03:14:54 am »
justin moorehouse is pretty funny
off beat and disingenuous
his last one did include him taking a pee as he didnt realize the phone was still recording
he is a manc but hes still a nice guy

Offline La Vecchia Magpie

• Terry de Niro's Geordie rival...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2014, 04:41:39 pm »
Stone Cold Steve Austin's podcasts are fantastic
The Wood Preservation Society. Hopefully that shed's the equivalent of Fritzel's cellar.

Offline MazzaKopter

• Main Stander
« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2014, 12:18:15 am »
There's literally 3 and a half pages of nothing but what you ask for, just before your post...

haha yeh i know but I was very tired when posting.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2014, 01:26:33 pm »
Any recommended Philosophy podcasts?

I've currently got the Philosopher's Arms which is good, and I've tried Philosophy Bites but the short lengths put me off.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #171 on: September 29, 2014, 02:07:13 pm »
Any recommended Philosophy podcasts?

I've currently got the Philosopher's Arms which is good, and I've tried Philosophy Bites but the short lengths put me off.

The Ricky Gervias Guide to... Philosophy ;D

Really stuggling for something to listen to, dont want anything football related tonight. I liked Richard Hering Leicester Square Podcast but finished that. Any suggestions?

The Edinburgh fringe ones are worth a listen if you haven't. I'm going to the first in the new series of RHLSTP tonight ;D

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #172 on: September 29, 2014, 03:05:59 pm »

The Edinburgh fringe ones are worth a listen if you haven't. I'm going to the first in the new series of RHLSTP tonight ;D

Who will you get to see tonight? He's got Steve Coogan on this series hasnt he? That'll be great.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #173 on: September 29, 2014, 03:07:58 pm »
The Ricky Gervias Guide to... Philosophy ;D

I've already listened to every gervais, merchant, pilkoid podcast then listened to them again.

Where are Herring's fringe podcasts? They haven't appeared in my itunes feed.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2014, 03:14:29 pm »
Think I've found a winner - the Partially Examined Life - looks good.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #175 on: October 20, 2014, 01:29:39 pm »
A wonderful new podcast has recently begun, called Serial.  Made by the producers of This American Life, it follows a single true story over a number of weeks. One episode is released each week. The first season is about a high school student in Baltimore convicted of murdering his ex-girlfriend without any physical evidence been presented in the case. It's absolutely riveting stuff.

Serial Is Like Nothing I’ve Heard or Watched Before - Slate
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2014, 01:39:02 pm »
By the Way, in Conversation with Jeff Garlin.

Hasn't been updated for a while but lots of good chats with US comedians and TV people including Larry David, Bob Odenkirk, Will Ferrell (not as annoying in real life), Mitch Hurwitz (Arrested Development creator), Conan O' Brien ... etc. Also the creators of Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Good stuff. Hopefully there will be a second series.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2014, 10:35:22 am »
Who will you get to see tonight? He's got Steve Coogan on this series hasnt he? That'll be great.

Got Katherine Ryan and Mark Gatiss, both entertaining.

Offline Pepe Reina Is Rafas Son

• This must be Pepe's Mother, who else would know?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Podcast thread
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2014, 10:56:40 pm »
Anyone recommend some good podcasts (already listen to TAW), either sport or just general interesting stuff  :wave
Stabbed your boss in the back, the man who made you fucking European Champions, and got in the man you wanted as manager. Just because Rafa wouldn't fucking cuddle you enough and fucking wank you off while telling you how fucking great you are.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
Re: Podcast thread
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2014, 11:17:17 pm »
Anyone recommend some good podcasts (already listen to TAW), either sport or just general interesting stuff  :wave

Kermode and Mayo's Film Review (a.k.a. Wittertainment) - BBC's film review show. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lvdrj

Comedy Bang! Bang! - comedy talk show, one real celebrity guest and then comedians improvising as characters. - Can be a bit niche, but here's one of the all time great episodes: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/two-thumbs-and-not-much-else/

U Talkin' U2 To Me? - Scott Aukerman and Adam Scott's U2 podcast that isn't really about U2 at all. - http://www.earwolf.com/show/u-talkin-u2-to-me/

How Did This Get Made? - Comedians discuss bad films - http://www.earwolf.com/show/how-did-this-get-made/

Bret Easton Ellis Podcast - BEE and a guest discuss pop culture - http://podcastone.com/Bret-Easton-Ellis-Podcast

Nerdist - Talk show - http://podcastone.com/Bret-Easton-Ellis-Podcast

WTF with Marc Maron - Talk show - http://www.wtfpod.com/

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2014, 12:59:40 am »
Ted

Gardening

History

Philosophy
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2014, 09:40:13 am »
Interesting stuff.  Sporting I can't really help with as I've gotten rid of most of mine (even TAW) but Fighting Talk is okay.  It's gotten progressively worse though so I'd more recommend some of the older episodes.  There's an archive HERE.

Interesting-wise I prefer a couple.

James O'Brien's Mystery Hour is a good 40-45 minutes of fun (though you can skip the rules that go on for over 4 minutes sometimes) where people ring in with their interesting questions and others answer them.

No Such Thing As A Fish is one by the researchers who makes QI.  Most of it is interesting if you like little random snippets of facts.

Stuff You Should Know is a good podcast that has short episodes but on a massive range of every day things you should (probably) know.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2014, 04:11:10 pm »
Red ice radio.

Mysterious universe

The history of WWII podcast

Democracy now

I also recommend The history of rome, it finished a couple of years ago after around 4 years and it is fantastic listening it ended at the sacking of rome,well a fan of the podcasts continued it further with The history of byzantium which was the eastern roman empire and it's done in the same style.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2014, 04:56:24 pm »
i forgot Ice Hockey

The Cats Whiskers 
about the Nottingham Panthers made by fans for fans,
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2014, 06:50:47 pm »

Guardian Weekly is definitely the best IMO, mainly focused on English football but usually has a Spanish/Italian/German section as well
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline MazzaKopter

• Main Stander
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2014, 12:28:58 am »
How many here like WTF with Marc Maron because I didnt to be honest. I felt very awkward listening and felt that he didn't get on with the guests listened to the Mike Myers Rhys Darby and Bryan Cranston. I enjoyed the Rhys Darby episode because he didn't take himself to seriously but the others saw themselves as some sort of artistic Gods and came across very pretentious. I know the show is for celebrities to show a more true reflection of their personality but god where they self obsessed and there talked about their works as some great gifts.. Mike its Austin Powers, they should talk about themselves in the 3rd person. They were also very touchy which added to the awkwardness of the show and meant that it all felt very disjointed nowhere near as smooth as others. I will give it another go though.

Online Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2014, 06:57:14 am »
Mostly house/techno-podcasts on sites like xlr8r.com, residentadvisor.net and FACT mag.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2014, 01:01:58 pm »
How many here like WTF with Marc Maron because I didnt to be honest. I felt very awkward listening and felt that he didn't get on with the guests listened to the Mike Myers Rhys Darby and Bryan Cranston. I enjoyed the Rhys Darby episode because he didn't take himself to seriously but the others saw themselves as some sort of artistic Gods and came across very pretentious. I know the show is for celebrities to show a more true reflection of their personality but god where they self obsessed and there talked about their works as some great gifts.. Mike its Austin Powers, they should talk about themselves in the 3rd person. They were also very touchy which added to the awkwardness of the show and meant that it all felt very disjointed nowhere near as smooth as others. I will give it another go though.

I gave it a fair shot and listened to about three episodes then binned it off

I just didnt enjoy it at all. It just felt to me like he is a bit of a reformed fuck up stoner and his approach to life just seemed a million miles away from my experience and my approach. Its clearly hugely popular and Im not knocking it, I just couldnt relate to it.

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2014, 02:17:35 pm »
He just came off as an unfunny guy with an inferiority complex to me, definitely not my cup of tea.

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2014, 01:04:44 pm »
Serial is seriously addictive. You can't help but continue to listen to the next episode.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2014, 04:11:07 pm »
Serial is seriously addictive. You can't help but continue to listen to the next episode.

Yeah it really is, but I am getting to the stage now where I just want some sort of conclusion! Although that won't happen anytime soon as the case is ongoing.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2014, 04:35:57 pm »
If only there was a thread that was, say, 4 or 5 pages long with a load of podcast recommendations in. Let me know if you find one.

brilliant. if only there were such a thread

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2014, 06:07:03 pm »
The Jimmy Bullard one is pretty funny.  The fella who does Full Time Devils is also on it, but don't let that put you off.  Some good stories on there, big Emile was on recently.

Just started listening to them.

Think it's called the Magic Sponge or something similar.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #193 on: December 11, 2014, 06:24:34 am »
Good shout that. They are called

Magic sponge

It's typical Bullard, totally unprofessional, totally hilarious

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #194 on: December 29, 2014, 07:43:19 am »
I used to listen to the Anfield index podcast but now it seems like I'm getting spammed with multiple new shows a day so I have unsubscribed and gone back to just TAW.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2015, 08:53:51 pm »
NPR have a new series, invisibilia. One episode so far, which I am currently enjoying. This one is about dark thoughts, and what to think about them. (Maybe Adnan should take a listen!)

Launching in January 2015, Invisibilia (Latin for "all the invisible things") explores the intangible forces that shape human behavior – things like ideas, beliefs, assumptions and emotions.

Co-hosted by NPR's Lulu Miller and Alix Spiegel, who helped create Radiolab and This American Life, Invisibilia delves into a wide array of human behavior, interweaving narrative storytelling with fascinating new psychological and brain science. Listen and research will come to life in a way that will make you see your own life differently. Produced by NPR News, Invisibilia turns the dry and scholarly into utterly captivating storytelling.

In Invisibilia's pilot season, Spiegel and Miller dig deep into our innermost minds — examining our dark, disturbing thoughts and whether those thoughts say anything about who we are, our fears and how they shape our actions, and our need for belonging and how it shapes our identity and fuels our emotions over a lifetime. They will take you into the real-world consequences of our own expectations — sometimes so powerful that they can overcome physical disability — and test your assumptions that empathy brings people closer together. Along the way, you'll encounter fascinating individuals, such as the man who has merged with his computer and a woman who physically feels what others feel.

Invisibilia is a glimpse into a world you can't see.

Listen.

Feel different.

http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2015, 10:15:23 pm »
Lots of shouts for Dan Carlin's Hardcore History but he also has a Common Sense podcast which is on politics and current affairs.  That is also excellent, even if you don't always agree with him.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2015, 10:17:51 pm »
Lots of shouts for Dan Carlin's Hardcore History but he also has a Common Sense podcast which is on politics and current affairs.  That is also excellent, even if you don't always agree with him.
Cheers dude, on it.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2015, 10:22:12 pm »
Just started listening to the New Yorker podcasts, pretty good.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2015, 12:18:15 am »
the church of what's happening now
talking shit
jre
the big 3