Author Topic: Liverpool 2-1 Brighton: Half time....  (Read 81675 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Liverpool 2-1 Brighton: Half time....
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:34:45 am »
Anyone for some football?  :wave

Perfect chance for us to put our last game firmly behind us and everything else that's causing us grief at this moment in time by securing our place in the next round.

This will be a rematch of sorts as we bet Brighton 2-1 away in the Carling Cup back in September when Goals by Bellamy and Kuyt were enough to win the game although Brighton had a late Ashley Barnes consolation.
Sebastian Coates and Jack Robinson also started that game when we had Lucas and Spearing as the midfield duo.

It was no stroll in the park and we know this Brighton side very ably managed by Gus Poyet can knock it about very well having dumped the Geordies out of the competition in the fourth round. They currently lie in eiYghth position in the Championship just outside the playoff places and with our big day at Wembley just a week afterwards, will Kenny be tempted to rotate and give the likes of Carra, Maxi and Aurelio a rare start or will we go full steam ahead for the quarter finals of this prestigious cup?

History fans will know that Brighton famously knocked us out of this round of the cup in '84.
We have to shown them the respect they deserve and any cup tie is a dangerous one no matter the opponent but hopefully we can grab an early goal and keep their fans quiet and do it in a professional manner with hopefully no injuries before Wembley.

Disclaimer: Any mention of the words racism, evra, handshake, cat, mancs, sky or FA in the current context will result in the poster receiving a weeks forum ban, and I'm not even a mod! Basically there are about 100 other threads on the go for discussing those matters.  8)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:20:13 pm by Barney_Rubble »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
Re: Liverpool v Brighton FA Cup 5th Rd. Sunday 4.30pm Anfield
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:38:32 am »
Live on ESPN at 4pm on Sunday.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:48:14 am »
Home tie vs Brighton. This is where I would give Raheem Sterling his first start....

Offline thom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:51:01 am »
We need to win this and if Luis could score one or two goals it would be perfect. I want to talk about the football again.

Offline CognacBut

• BrandyAss
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:53:13 am »
Home tie vs Brighton. This is where I would give Raheem Sterling his first start....

Bench maybe, can't see him starting at all, why should he?

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 11:55:35 am »
The next 20 days are make or break for this football club and I reckon we're going to make a statement of intent.
 Put Brighton out, lift the CC at Wembley and beat those fucking cockney gobshites at Anfield on the 3rd. Things will be looking way better in 3 weeks time.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 11:55:39 am »
Cos we have few wide options outside Bellamy mate. Don't see how Sterling would be worse than Downing and Brighton could be a nice first start

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 11:56:07 am »

I completely disagree. Perhaps a cameo role if we were lucky enough to be in a position to play such a young player. Up against a lower division side who will be be fighting for everything in what is one of the biggest games of their entire season, sending in a 17 year old novice into that type of game is asking for trouble.
Hopefully in the not too distant future Raheem will be given his chance but this isn't his time.
This is no easy tie, we're expected to win of course but they've already shown against Newcastle as I mentioned above that they're a good side.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 11:58:03 am »
Lets win this. Full strength team and closer to another Wembley trip.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline CognacBut

• BrandyAss
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 12:01:01 pm »
Cos we have few wide options outside Bellamy mate. Don't see how Sterling would be worse than Downing and Brighton could be a nice first start

Brighton are a good side on a good run at the moment. Get the job done by getting a couple of goals ahead, then maybe give him some minutes.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 12:01:07 pm »
Why shouldn't he?

He won't, but he should be given a go. As someone else says, he can't possibly do any worse than some of the performances out there yesterday.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 12:07:42 pm »
Can't see Kenny starting sterling but would be great to see him play some part in the game .

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 12:09:12 pm »
Why shouldn't he?
He won't, but he should be given a go. As someone else says, he can't possibly do any worse than some of the performances out there yesterday.

I'd rather see someone like Shelvey start who has already been integrated into the side and knows his team mates movements and positions etc.

Saying that I'm expecting Carra to be recalled along with Martin Kelly and Bellamy.

Something like:

Reina, Kelly, Carra, Agger, Enrique, Adam, Gerrard, Bellamy, Maxi, Suarez, Caroll

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 12:10:12 pm »
This game can't come soon enough, I wish it was being played tomorrow.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 12:17:14 pm »
Looking forward to it. Should win it. Hopefully Shelvey will get some game time.

Be nice to see Gus Poyet given a good reception aswell.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 12:21:17 pm »
Looking forward to it. Should win it. Hopefully Shelvey will get some game time.

Be nice to see Gus Poyet given a good reception aswell.

Indeed mate he deserves a good reception. Hope they get to the play-offs aswell this season. He's doing a fine job there.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 12:22:34 pm »
I hope we manage to win somehow.
Not even contemplating a possibility of a high scoring, moral boosting victory (though we really need one and it would be excellent) and that says a lot about the way we play at Anfield.
I'd like to see Carroll play, Shelvey also.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 12:36:58 pm »
Please give some of the younger lads a go in this.

So tired of seeing the shame old shite served up by the likes of Downing and Kuyt. And to a lesser extent Adam and Henderson.

Give Shelvey a start. Get Sterling and or Silva involved in some capacity and shake things up a bit.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 12:47:42 pm »
Please give some of the younger lads a go in this.
So tired of seeing the shame old shite served up by the likes of Downing and Kuyt. And to a lesser extent Adam and Henderson.
Give Shelvey a start. Get Sterling and or Silva involved in some capacity and shake things up a bit.

The same old shite like Kuyt's winner in the previous round against Man Utd?

And if we lose? Kenny is savaged for gambling on inexperienced youngsters and disrespecting Brighton by fielding youth players instead of senior pros?

Everyone wants to see these players like Sterling and Coady come through but theres a time and place and the F.A. Cup 5th round isn't the place. Shelvey, Flanagan,Robinson etc. in the squad for it perhaps yes as they have experience at this level.
I don't see Kenny taking a chance with this game, the line-up I posted above I think might come very close if everyone is fit. He will want us to win the game and be in the right frame of mind going to London, and we've seen this season such as v Exeter that he's not one for resting players like Suarez etc.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:50:06 pm by Phil M »

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 12:49:52 pm »
Play the strongest team possible and win the cup. Simple.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 12:50:11 pm »
The next 20 days are make or break for this football club and I reckon we're going to make a statement of intent.
 Put Brighton out, lift the CC at Wembley and beat those fucking cockney gobshites at Anfield on the 3rd. Things will be looking way better in 3 weeks time.
Well said

Offline Brandon@Flowers

• is a Mormon (with a lapsed m)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 12:50:37 pm »
Play the strongest team possible and win the cup. Simple.

This match won't win us the cup, mind.  ;D

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 12:52:28 pm »
The same old shite like Kuyt's winner in the previous round against Man Utd?

And if we lose? Kenny is savaged for gambling on inexperienced youngsters and disrespecting Brighton by fielding youth players instead of senior pros?

Everyone wants to see these players like Sterling and Coady come through but theres a time and place and the F.A. Cup 5th round isn't the place. Shelvey, Flanagan,Robinson etc. in the squad for it perhaps yes as they have experience at this level.
I don't see Kenny taking a chance with this game, the line-up I posted above I think might come very close if everyone is fit.

Have you not watched Dirk this season? That goal changed nothing.

This is Brighton we're talking about. How is this not the time to be fielding younger players instead of seasoned pros? Seasoned pro's who range from utterly terrible (Kuyt and Downing) to at times ineffective and frustrating (Adam and Henderson). Im not talking about dropping Suarez, Bellamy or Gerrard. Im talking about sitting players on the bench who deserve to be there.

If the 5th round of the cup against Brighton isnt the time to give a young lad or two a place on the bench or a start then when is?

Offline CognacBut

• BrandyAss
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 12:56:04 pm »

This is Brighton we're talking about.

This attitude always makes me laugh, you ask if someone has seen Dirk's form this season whilst totally forgetting the way we have performed at home against supposed inferior opposition.

Add to that the fact that Brighton can play a fair bit and are on a decent run of form pushing for the play offs.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 12:58:09 pm »
This attitude always makes me laugh, you ask if someone has seen Dirk's form this season whilst totally forgetting the way we have performed at home against supposed inferior opposition.

Add to that the fact that Brighton can play a fair bit and are on a decent run of form pushing for the play offs.

They're a Championship side. A side we've already beaten this season. Whilst playing a few young lads surprisingly enough.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 01:00:38 pm »
If the 5th round of the cup against Brighton isnt the time to give a young lad or two a place on the bench or a start then when is?

Brighton who we only beat by a single goal a few months ago who knocked Newcastle out of the cup you mean? In the latter stages of a competition that we might have a chance of progressing to the latter stages in and you think Kenny should be taking risks? Read my posts above, I'd be happy to see changes and perhaps Shelvey come in or the likes of Robinson and Coates involved but lets be serious, Raheem Sterling wont be involved so getting into debates about it is pointless.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:02:51 pm by Phil M »

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 01:01:20 pm »
I'd like to see this:

Reina
Kelly Coates Agger Enrique
            Spearing
      Shelvey  Gerrard
Suarez               Bellamy
             Carroll

I'd like to see Sterling on the bench too but let's face it he hasn't so far this season and the FA cup is arguably more important than the League Cup.

This isn't his year but I feel next year will be.

Back to business please.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 01:02:10 pm »
Brighton who we only beat by a single goal a few months ago who knocked Newcastle out of the cup you mean? In the latter stages of a competition that we might have a chance of progressing to the latter stages in and you think Kenny should be taking risks?
You really think playing one or two young players will have a big negative impact on our home form? Didn't do any harm last yr with Flanagan and Robinson

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 01:04:14 pm »
You really think playing one or two young players will have a big negative impact on our home form? Didn't do any harm last yr with Flanagan and Robinson

Don't take my words out of context please. If you read from the top you'll get a better gist of my feelings on the game.

Seems like every fucker wants to argue about something in here these days.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 01:04:19 pm »
Brighton who we only beat by a single goal a few months ago who knocked Newcastle out of the cup you mean? In the latter stages of a competition that we might have a chance of progressing to the latter stages in and you think Kenny should be taking risks?

Brighton who we beat with Robinson starting at LB and Coates at CB? Brighton who are a league below us. Yeah I do.

Not that I see dropping Kuyt or Downing as a risk. It would improve us going on their current form.

Is Shelvey coming in for Kuyt really such a massive risk that the mighty Brighton would run all over us with him there instead?

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 01:04:43 pm »
Kelly, Shelvey, Coates to get starts. Fab too to let Enrique sit one out, Robbo on the bench.

Apart from that, same as usual. Would like Sterling to get some bench time in this, but doubt he will. We'll have 3-defenders on the bench again.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 01:06:53 pm »
Brighton who we beat with Robinson starting at LB and Coates at CB? Brighton who are a league below us. Yeah I do.

And I dont see dropping Kuyt or Downing as a risk. It would improve us going on their current form.

Is Shelvey coming in for Kuyt really such a massive risk that the might Brighton would run all over us with him there instead?

Ffs I mentioned in the OP I wouldn't mind Shelvey coming into the side. We've struggled against far weaker teams than Brighton over the years in knockout competitions, taking such games for granted is the best way to go wrong.

Offline steve10

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 01:13:24 pm »
Brighton are on a good run and have won 7 out of the last 8 games (something likethat).

We need to give the likes of Sterling, flannaghan, Shelvey etc a chance in this game. Its no use playing Carra, Maxi, Auerlio because that is going backwards not forward. Hendo and Downing should also be start because if they cannnot perform against a championship team then we know they are truly rubbish and need to be moved on in the summer.

Offline Aldo96

• Anny Roader
  • Scousers Rule The Country - Kop STH
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 01:15:16 pm »
Now living in Brighton, I know that an unfortunate amount of their fans have a irrational strong dislike for Liverpool FC and jump on any opportunity to criticise. They also love to dispel what they call the 'myth' of Liverpools great support. I just hope we can get a good atmosphere going and not let them out sing us and bang on about it for years, although I hate to say that will probably be the case.

None the less, a win should be on the cards in another competition we should be looking to get far in.
Liverpool is a soul mate, you can never fall out of love.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 01:18:05 pm »
This game can't come sooner enough.

I'd give a whole lot for talk to return to the footballing side of things. This season has proved to be quite a demoralizing one with all that's been happening off the field. I take the FA Cup and League Cup without a second's hesitation.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 01:20:15 pm »
Ffs I mentioned in the OP I wouldn't mind Shelvey coming into the side. We've struggled against far weaker teams than Brighton over the years in knockout competitions, taking such games for granted is the best way to go wrong.

Yeah, what was Kenny doing taking the League cup game for granted by playing Robinson and Coates.

Offline TheDan1892

• Main Stander
  • Titi Ti, Titi Ti, Titi Ti Camara
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 01:37:58 pm »

Totally agree with that...it'd be nice to see some hype about a top quality young player like Arsenal have at the moment with the lad Chamberlain....Andy to start up top for me, he's been doing well lately and deserves the spot. Will he start Bellamy or keep him rested for the Cup final??
"It's alright for these lads, they only have to play him twice a year. We have to face him every day in training." - Steven Gerrard on Luis Suarez

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2012, 01:38:51 pm »
Now living in Brighton, I know that an unfortunate amount of their fans have a irrational strong dislike for Liverpool FC and jump on any opportunity to criticise. They also love to dispel what they call the 'myth' of Liverpools great support. I just hope we can get a good atmosphere going and not let them out sing us and bang on about it for years, although I hate to say that will probably be the case.

None the less, a win should be on the cards in another competition we should be looking to get far in.

It's their cup final, they're bound to out sing us. Don't think anyone should really give shit what they think.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 01:47:25 pm »
Yeah, what was Kenny doing taking the League cup game for granted by playing Robinson and Coates.

Coates is an accomplished player for his age and a title winner in Uruguay, who was due a start after signing and Robinson has first team experience and it was a mixture of youth and experience with Carra, Lucas, Spearing etc. 
I feel this game would not be the right time to blood a very young player like Sterling etc you might feel different about it, I've already explained my feelings on the matter, everyone has different opinions on it.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 01:49:09 pm »
Suso in the Gerrard role?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."