Author Topic: Harry Maguire considering his options thread  (Read 3278244 times)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: United - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - 2018-21: Good Morning Sweet Prince!
« Reply #23480 on: October 26, 2021, 04:25:12 pm »
Same here. Last day of the transfer window and all that. It's hard enough to juggle one mid-30s striker, let alone two.
Is he responsible for any of the signings? Who knows?
Ole is out of his depth but the imbalance in the squad and its deficiencies are obvious.
Other than get out and do it himself, how to make a gang of prima donnas get out there and run and tackle when some can't do it because they are too old, and others simply won't?
Ferguson wanted him and persuaded the Glazers to stump up, or so Ferguson has claimed. Ole, essentially, does not have free will. He's like Ferguson's Alexa - Ferguson barks a command and he tries to comply but keeps making annoying blunders.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #23481 on: October 26, 2021, 04:29:30 pm »
Agree mate. The owners need to go and be replaced with ambitious a$holes, or they need to get in a very competent Executive AND really give him authority, OR they need to get in a very competent DoF and give him authority that is only second to the Chief Exec, cause he will have to battle Marketing/Commercial.

Well no they pretty much need new everything if they want to be 'the' team again. New owners, new board, new players, new ex-players, new pundits, new fans, new journalists. And its impossible, thus they never will be. They had a perfect storm in the 90s/00s. That wont happen again, everyone else has caught up and in many cases passed them. They need to be completely stripped out and to start again, but their fans, the media and their ex-players won't allow it. So they'll be caught in this constant loop of new manager, new players, some trophies, eventually goes to shit because its not the trophies they want and rinse and repeat.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23482 on: October 26, 2021, 04:33:23 pm »
It's just beautiful.

Ole is nothing short of a gold wing'ed messenger of his mighty God.

*wipes tear from eye*
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #23483 on: October 26, 2021, 04:34:26 pm »
Well no they pretty much need new everything if they want to be 'the' team again. New owners, new board, new players, new ex-players, new pundits, new fans, new journalists. And its impossible, thus they never will be. They had a perfect storm in the 90s/00s. That wont happen again, everyone else has caught up and in many cases passed them. They need to be completely stripped out and to start again, but their fans, the media and their ex-players won't allow it. So they'll be caught in this constant loop of new manager, new players, some trophies, eventually goes to shit because its not the trophies they want and rinse and repeat.
They may not be as successful, but I do think they can get close if they make a good Executive appointment, because at the end of the day, the Executive calls the shots and runs the club. There is obviously the vision from the board/owners, but even within that vision he can still make it work because it's "broad" and they would execute his plan, work towards his (or her :) ) ambition and also reflect that. The Glazers would happily sign cheques and hand all authority over to him- as they've done until now.
Arsenal for instance, is a case in point. I'm not going to bring up Gill cause he seemed more like Ferguson's boy but it can work.

They had one authoritative figure, despite the wonership, at the club who brought them riches beyond their imagination, and so they can do it again, IF they get it right.

Hopefully none of those happen in the near future! ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 04:41:28 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23484 on: October 26, 2021, 04:34:57 pm »
People say that about them challenging but that doesn’t factor in that the teams around them will improve too. The reality is there are only finite amounts of players, City and CFC and now Newcastle match United on a financial level, we match them on the level that we are a legendary club. The few generational players that are out there may be more likely to go to City under Guardiola or to CFC as there’s the London draw. United are toxic.

Young players will look at Sancho, Martial, DVB and think so do I want to waste my career there?  If Jude Bellingham for talk sake had the choice between us or them, where do you reckon he goes?  The issues run deeper than just getting a competent manager in. They need 4-5 first team players, get rid of the toxic elements within the squad and hope the teams around them don’t strengthen beyond their reach.

Challenging isn't the same as winning. It's simply about doing well enough to convince good enough players to take a punt on them.

As far as young players having two minds when it comes to joining United goes, I'd say it remains to be seen whether that tipping point has been reached. United have been trading off their name for a decade and they were bringing in substandard players before Ferguson left, but they are clearly still a draw. And let's not forget, young players won't fair much better at City or Chelsea either, as they can afford finished article players and the fees and salaries that go with them.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #23485 on: October 26, 2021, 04:37:09 pm »
They won't be as successful, but I do think they can get close if they make a good Executive appointment, because at the end of the day, the Executive calls the shots and runs the club. There is obviously the vision from the board/owners, but even within that vision he can still make it work because they would execute his ambition and also reflect that.
Arsenal for instance, is a case in point. I'm not going to bring up Gill cause he seemed more like Ferguson's boy but it can work.

Hopefully none of those happen in the near future! ;D

Arsenal is exactly a case in point!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #23486 on: October 26, 2021, 04:37:35 pm »
it's funny hearing the fans take the high ground (which they should), expecting the next club announcement to be his sacking, respect to the legend for what he's done for us but time to move on...

hours later.... he's still in the fucking job! where's our standards, he's not good enough, he needs sacking blah blah, i've been a fan for 40 years and never seen a walkout at halftime blah blah blah, we had our pants well and truly pulled down and on it goes

if he sticks around the toxicity is gonna keep festering, it's already a pus ball in the dressing room now it's been leaked throughout yesterday about players not wanting him there - im sure they felt like everyone else he was gonna be sacked and felt it safe to air their grievances as they made their excuses for that horror show

if he can turn over a poor spurs and get lucky as fuck against city, funtimes may continue, and i can't believe im saying that  ;D
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23487 on: October 26, 2021, 04:39:12 pm »
This thread will hit 1000 pages before he is sacked.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23488 on: October 26, 2021, 04:43:06 pm »
I think you're in danger of falling for the idea that it's all about the manager. Of course it's about the manager but as Klopp has said over and over it's about the whole management team and the direction of the club.

I'm not sure that most of our managers since 1990 have had a vision. Certainly not one consistent vision and not always the same vision as the board. And at the same time, as managers changed the game changed around them.

Souness thought he had to break things up and start again, Evans played good football and brought on talent but was missing the discipline of a Ronnie Moran, Houllier brought in defensive solidity and laid the grounds for modern, continental football. Rafa had a clear idea of what he wanted but was undermined in the end by David Moores' lack of ambition and the venality of Hicks and Gillett.

Hodgson...

Kenny was the right choice to unify the club and support but he wasn't right for the long-term and the game had moved on. What was happening with the ownership was fundamentakl though. NESV/FSG came in with a clear idea of how they wanted to improve the club and win trophies. It took time to get right and we came close to winning the league with Brendan but ultimately they found the right manager who shared their vision for the right way to achieve success.

That's what United are missing. Football has moved on and it's as much about the fine margins as the big moves. Klopp is absolutely fiundamental to our success but so is Pep Linders, the coaching staff, the video analysts, the sports scientists, dietary advisers and so on. Whatever you think about Abramovich, Chelsea have found a way to achieve success while changing their manager almost as often as Watford.

A decent manager could get them 'challenging' for trophies and that's beyond doubt as both Van Gall and Mourinho won cups. Could a manager have United capable of getting 90+ points without the whole club being aligned for success? I don't think so.

*edit: the days of the manager being in charge of all he surveys are gone, certainly if you want to be successful at the heighest level and for the long term.

I never said it's all about the manager, Alan.  As I've pointed out previously, the rot at United extends all the way to their sycophants in the media who continue to molly coddle them and lament about what an unjust universe it is.

I would amend my statement to say most, rather than all, of our managers since 1990 had a vision.  As you describe, some, like Souness, had a bad vision; whereas others, like Rafa, had their vision hamstrung by lack of funds. I'm not sure Rodgers had a vision, and of course Hodgson had NO vision at all.

I suppose it's fair to say that United DO have a vision, and they are bringing in managers who align with that vision - it's the vision that is wrong, as it is reactionary. When FSG brought in Klopp, their visions aligned, and Klopp and the bosses were able to bring in backroom staff and players who also aligned with that vision.

In that sense, United are literally reaping what they have sown.

Popcorn's Art

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23489 on: October 26, 2021, 04:46:07 pm »
I stated this before - but he's gone at the international break - this will give Conte some time to get organized and will allow MU to come up with a good "parting of way" for Ole. Something like - "I have taken the group as far as I can, we have had some famous victories, reached cup finals, etc. I only care about the club, time to allow someone else to redirect this group etc etc."

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23490 on: October 26, 2021, 04:48:24 pm »
If you look at it though.. we only came right AFTER we had a change of ownership. We had competent managers who could win leagues and cups, but those "various reasons" started at ownership level.

Some of those issues were inherent of the ownership.
Remember the Glazers weren't responsible for United's success. They only found them like this and under their leadership, it's just gotten worse.

Still, at United, I think it can only start to change if they get in a competent executive. They've not been shy to sign the cheques, so a guy who will run everything- change the structure under him and appoint whoever he wants to, and who would be willing to delegate and share the football aspect between competent departments will change it for them. He must also have the balls to overrule the commercial dept and bring in a short term policy to disregard who the fans and the sponsors want to sign- and he needs to be given the authority to do that.

(For the ladies... can also be a "she" of course! :) )

The Glazers don't seem too bothered about the details. They'll sign the cheques. They do seem aimless though and reluctant to act, cause they could see Woodward is mediocre- he doesn't have control, he makes awful appointments, yet they persisted.
And now they've opted to promote from within- the same "Old Boy" method. They don't care and until they leave- or they somehow hit gold with a real mercurial executive appointment, it will prolly not get solved.

This is what I meant, thanks for clarifying. With the right appointments it would still be several seasons before they could reap the benefits, but the pieces would at least be in place. A club with their kind of resources shouldn't really be in the position that they are, and wouldn't if those at the top were competent.

Popcorn's Art

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #23491 on: October 26, 2021, 04:50:51 pm »
Arsenal is exactly a case in point!
David Dein? (who then appointed Wenger, who then overhauled the football side- with Dein's blessing and backing)
Modern-day Arsenal is of course a different beast to United.
Of course a change of ownership is the best way to change things, but what I'm getting at is that even under that dysfunctional ownership, if they can make a good appointment at Executive level, it can work. The owners don't run the club- they really only direct it; the CEO does that- and if the owners are willing to spend, it can work.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:04:58 pm by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23492 on: October 26, 2021, 04:50:57 pm »
I stated this before - but he's gone at the international break - this will give Conte some time to get organized and will allow MU to come up with a good "parting of way" for Ole. Something like - "I have taken the group as far as I can, we have had some famous victories, reached cup finals, etc. I only care about the club, time to allow someone else to redirect this group etc etc."

Agree. As Tony said, I just think United don't want to give us the satisfaction of seeing another of their managers off. He's probably got until the international break to go out on a high with a couple of decent results - or end in ignominy.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23493 on: October 26, 2021, 04:55:38 pm »
This is like an expensive car crash...you can't stop watching.  :lmao

Popcorn's Art

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23494 on: October 26, 2021, 04:57:51 pm »
I thought it was a sad moment when Ferguson told the man sitting next to him he might need another couple of bottles of Bells to get through the 2nd half only to be told there was none left, the cellar is dry, the good old days have gone, there's nothing left anymore. Poor Ferguson, "There's nae Bells, there's nae Bells?"
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #23495 on: October 26, 2021, 04:58:43 pm »
Agree. As Tony said, I just think United don't want to give us the satisfaction of seeing another of their managers off. He's probably got until the international break to go out on a high with a couple of decent results - or end in ignominy.

that did occcur to me, from their perpective they dont want it being said liverpool finished off another of our managers, it's a real bad look

but we can hope
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23496 on: October 26, 2021, 05:17:56 pm »
I can actually see why you’d not want Solskjaer immediately out of the door for another plaster-over-wound type manager. For all of the piss taking, he is Man Utd through and through and there’s no doubt his interests lay in putting the club first, which can have value. It has some parallels with the Dalglish situation in 2012, although OS has the managerial pedigree of a doughnut.

Although their squad is miles better than ours was back then. Someone like Conte/Allegri could get them clicking. Or they can go for a project manager like Ten Haag/Potter. It’s hard to find someone readily available 2 months into the season.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #23497 on: October 26, 2021, 05:24:18 pm »
that did occcur to me, from their perpective they dont want it being said liverpool finished off another of our managers, it's a real bad look

but we can hope
It doesn't matter when he eventually goes, we all know it was getting utterly undressed and humiliated 0-5 at home to Liverpool that sealed his fate.

No amount of delaying the inevitable can disguise the fact. His P45 was readied by half time. They'll delay giving him it to try to save face, but we all know the truth. LFC have consigned yet another Man United manager to the bin.  :wave
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #23498 on: October 26, 2021, 05:31:56 pm »
As you describe, some, like Souness, had a bad vision;

Possible to argue that it wasn't Souness's vision that was bad but rather his calamitously ego-driven execution of the perceived need for a shakeup that was so completely atrocious.

His winding up of Neville, though, is quite hilarious... ;)
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline EyeToldYou

• Refugee from the Cafe
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #23499 on: October 26, 2021, 05:32:31 pm »
A United supporter here - who has just been banned from the Cafe for insisting I wasn't going to be watching the game this Saturday against Spurs whilst Ole was in charge as he sucks any potential excitement that could surround this team. That place is as much of a mess as the club is.

It's a shame you lot didn't put your foot down in the second half and put another few past us to really seal his fate.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #23500 on: October 26, 2021, 05:33:46 pm »
A United supporter here - who has just been banned from the Cafe for insisting I wasn't going to be watching the game this Saturday against Spurs whilst Ole was in charge as he sucks any potential excitement that could surround this team. That place is as much of a mess as the club is.

It's a shame you lot didn't put your foot down in the second half and put another few past us to really seal his fate.

I think the bigger embarrassment was the fact we took our foot off and turned it into a training exercise.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #23501 on: October 26, 2021, 05:34:48 pm »

And spoil the fun of watching how much he can fuck that side up before his inevitable sacking? There is no fun in that.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #23502 on: October 26, 2021, 05:36:40 pm »

5 should have been enough!

I reckon after your lot get a similar tonking from Abu Dhabi he will finally get the boot. It’s mad he still hasn’t.

By the way - the weirdest thing about RedCafe is those Liverpool ‘fans' who hang out there during actual Liverpool games, kissing the Man Utd fans backsides. 

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23503 on: October 26, 2021, 05:37:34 pm »

Well we would have done, but we didn't want anymore of our players stretchered off, so you can blame Pogba for that. ;)

Welcome anyway. :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:44:59 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #23504 on: October 26, 2021, 05:38:55 pm »
Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano
Manchester United internal talks. Main part of board [Mr. Ferguson too] wants to give Solskjær another chance to be in charge for Tottenham game. Red circle #MUFC

Pressure still high around Ole. No official talks with Antonio Conte - but he’d accept the job in the next days too.

It's been 7 and a half years and he's still effectively running the place.  Crazy.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #23505 on: October 26, 2021, 05:42:21 pm »

Getting banned for that seems a bit harsh; what else did you do?  :D
Easing off was a much better option for our players own safety.

Anyway, don't turn into a tit, stick around a bit and keep Tonysleft company  :)
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23506 on: October 26, 2021, 05:44:12 pm »
Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano
Manchester United internal talks. Main part of board [Mr. Ferguson too] wants to give Solskjær another chance to be in charge for Tottenham game. Red circle #MUFC

Pressure still high around Ole. No official talks with Antonio Conte - but he’d accept the job in the next days too.

It's been 7 and a half years and he's still effectively running the place.  Crazy.
All comes across a bit like a TV show bringing back a cast member to get a bump in ratings.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23507 on: October 26, 2021, 05:44:18 pm »
Ferguson is playing a blinder fucking them over time after time. Moyes, Ole, the Glazers. The egotistical prick.

Offline EyeToldYou

• Refugee from the Cafe
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #23508 on: October 26, 2021, 05:44:27 pm »
It's long overdue.

He should have been sacked after the Champions League fuck up last season.

Should have been out of a job by the time he left the stadium on Sunday, not be leading the team out again.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:46:12 pm by EyeToldYou »

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #23509 on: October 26, 2021, 05:46:43 pm »

Welcome mate! We're not going to take our feet of in here either! ;)
We've got another stand up United supporter on here (loves his club obviously) who posts regularly in this thread (the 3rd guy... errr.... he went skiing and never returned unfortunately :'( )

But.. hope you enjoy.. and can take the banter!  :wave
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:49:18 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #23510 on: October 26, 2021, 05:48:37 pm »

As I said to another United supporter: a) we didn't want any more injuries, and b) we didn't want Ole to get the sack.

I don't know how old you are but do you remember the pre-Ferguson years?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #23511 on: October 26, 2021, 05:49:05 pm »
How many more players do they need? Spent £120 million this summer.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline EyeToldYou

• Refugee from the Cafe
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #23512 on: October 26, 2021, 05:51:07 pm »
As I said to another United supporter: a) we didn't want any more injuries, and b) we didn't want Ole to get the sack.

I don't know how old you are but do you remember the pre-Ferguson years?

35 so don't remember the years post Fergie

Are you suggesting we give Ole time like we gave Fergie?

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #23513 on: October 26, 2021, 05:53:46 pm »
It's weird feeling sorry for them isn't it?
nah it's
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #23514 on: October 26, 2021, 05:55:58 pm »
Getting banned for that seems a bit harsh; what else did you do?  :D
Easing off was a much better option for our players own safety.

Anyway, don't turn into a tit, stick around a bit and keep Tonysleft company  :)
Is gon be good reading the two of them converse! ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:58:15 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23515 on: October 26, 2021, 05:59:46 pm »
It all starts at the top, with a CEO who's great and making commercial deals but who doesn't grasp the club isn't just a brand with a balance sheet. Woodward's job, technically, isn't to win titles, it's to increase revenue and raise the share price which is what a signing like Ronaldo does. You can tell he still hasn't learned from the Klopp Disneyland debacle.

It's why they need to make big signings like Pogba, Lukaku, Sancho and Ronaldo without actually addressing what the issues are on the pitch. At the same time, that lack of direct experience and the sentimentality of the fans make Woodward vulnerable to the United old boys network, which is why it's been so easy for Fergie to get the likes of Giggs, Carrick and Ole jobs despite their lack of experience or relative expertise. Phelan's still there too. There's been talk of getting a director of football in but it's incredibly telling that the names touted have all been ex-players like Ferdinand.

They look threatening every now and again, especially when they go on a buying spree, but apart from Fernandes and initially Maguire, no one has really made much of a difference. I'd disagree with Lobo's assessment of the players. Lingard for instance went to West Ham last season and immediately looked twice as good, as did Lukaku and Smalling as soon as they left. There are definitely the raw materials there for a great spine, but no matter who's manager I can't seem them progressing as long as Woodward is overseeing things and Fergie has a prominent voice.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23516 on: October 26, 2021, 06:00:06 pm »

We all think he should get all the time in the world. But that's because he's a bang average manager.

No - it was more about whether you've only known success as a fan and how it feels now.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #23517 on: October 26, 2021, 06:03:11 pm »

That would be the best course of action at the moment, I think. Ferguson got 5/6, I think Ole deserves at least until the end of the season.
A manager needs time after all and Ole's been building steadily. Just needs to drop Ronaldo and play the lads he bought...
Ole doesn't deserve this. Great servant!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:06:06 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23518 on: October 26, 2021, 06:04:48 pm »
That would be the best course of action at the moment, I think. Ferguson got 5, I think Ole deserves at least until the end of the season.
A manager needs time after all and Ole's been building steadily. Just needs to drop Ronaldo and play the lads he bought...
Ole doesn't deserve this. Great servant!

No - keep playing Ronaldo.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #23519 on: October 26, 2021, 06:11:19 pm »
No - keep playing Ronaldo.
That's prolly right Alan. He's the gaffer after all and Ronaldo's already started gelling into the team.
You always start your best players after all!