Author Topic: The Parent thread  (Read 3956 times)

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Re: The Parent thread
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2022, 11:49:01 am »
That's a disgrace that a dad wants to spend an extra day with his kids when they're not at school. What is the world coming to  ::)

I'm all about fathers rights and took my ex to court to get 50/50 custody of my now 12 year old daughter. You just don't need to be an ass about things when you get into a custody situation and it goes both ways for divorced Dads and Mums. I wish it was a simple as him wanting an extra day because he loves his kids, its not though, he just loves causing stress and drama to his ex wife and it makes him happy. Just return the kids when you are supposed to and make decisions for the kids and not about yourself. Thats all.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2022, 11:59:38 am »
I'm all about fathers rights and took my ex to court to get 50/50 custody of my now 12 year old daughter. You just don't need to be an ass about things when you get into a custody situation and it goes both ways for divorced Dads and Mums. I wish it was a simple as him wanting an extra day because he loves his kids, its not though, he just loves causing stress and drama to his ex wife and it makes him happy. Just return the kids when you are supposed to and make decisions for the kids and not about yourself. Thats all.

From an outsider looking in, and the limited details you have said, I don't see a problem if the kids were happy to stay an extra day. If they were, then that is making a decision for the kids.
I've also been to court for 50/50 care of my lad, and deal with this day to day in my job. Fully aware of kids being used as weapons by both sides just to get one over on each other.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2022, 12:23:52 pm »
They make you smile ,laugh and despair but so glad to have had them.

Our eldest who's 8 has finally grown out of her Mardy phase, she had a love/hate thing going on with me. :D

The youngest 5 is so chilled, she'll follow me around the house, garden, garage or nipping out in the car , she's like a 2nd shadow, she'll sometimes watch the games on TV with me.

The other half has started planting seeds in my head about us having another one.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2022, 06:11:25 pm »
They make you smile ,laugh and despair but so glad to have had them.

Our eldest who's 8 has finally grown out of her Mardy phase, she had a love/hate thing going on with me. :D

The youngest 5 is so chilled, she'll follow me around the house, garden, garage or nipping out in the car , she's like a 2nd shadow, she'll sometimes watch the games on TV with me.

The other half has started planting seeds in my head about us having another one.

If you could freeze them at about 18 months I think I’d have 10, but you can’t stop the little gits growing up!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2022, 08:11:57 pm »
From an outsider looking in, and the limited details you have said, I don't see a problem if the kids were happy to stay an extra day. If they were, then that is making a decision for the kids.
I've also been to court for 50/50 care of my lad, and deal with this day to day in my job. Fully aware of kids being used as weapons by both sides just to get one over on each other.

Thats the thing though, the kids did want to come back. The 14 year old texted her Mum saying she wanted to come home the day before. The kids are 14 and 11. They wanted to come back here.  Kids shouldn't necessarily get what they want and be allowed to come home just because they are not happy and play off one parent against the other, but they should get to come home when they are supposed to and when parents make travel plans around those times. If he had asked the kids and the kids agreed, then that would have been fine and we could made appropriate plans.

This is just a moan and groan about dealing with my wifes ex who arbitrarily makes decisions about when he decides he wants to bring the kids back

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2022, 08:14:58 pm »
and deal with this day to day in my job.

Not sure what you do but it must be frustrating to no end to deal with parents who act like children and seeing the the sheer stupidity and pettiness of people on a daily basis

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2022, 08:18:09 pm »
If you could freeze them at about 18 months I think I’d have 10, but you can’t stop the little gits growing up!

I think about 4 - 10 when they are genuinely kids and love and need their parents. Not bolshi pre-teens

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2022, 09:44:13 pm »
I think about 4 - 10 when they are genuinely kids and love and need their parents. Not bolshi pre-teens

I have quite a bolshi 4 year old to be honest, although she’s come down with the chickenpox this afternoon which has somewhat taken the wind out her sails and Mrs WLR is at work tomorrow so that will be fun….
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2022, 11:32:59 pm »
After experiencing child loss in 2019, I finally joined the parent brigade on Xmas Eve last year to the most amazing little girl.

Everything has been fab and wouldn't change her for the world.

However, last few days we think she has developed reflux. Any tips to deal with this and help her? GP has prescribed gaviscon today which I'm hoping will take the edge off and help her - but most the evening she has been absolutely screaming. It's heartbreaking hearing it and also frustrating as nothing we try will help 😞
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: February 5, 2022, 09:01:32 pm »
3:05am, 5/2/2022

We got to welcome our gorgeous little girl into the world.

Everyone, meet Amirah Lily

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #50 on: February 5, 2022, 09:04:03 pm »
Congratulations!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: February 5, 2022, 09:04:12 pm »
Omg she's tiny and beautiful 🥰

Congratulations to both of you and I  hope mum and baby are doing well 🥂🎉🍾🎊

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: February 5, 2022, 09:30:46 pm »
Congrats to the two Rawkites new arrivals on this thread. :scarf :scarf

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: February 5, 2022, 09:37:41 pm »
After experiencing child loss in 2019, I finally joined the parent brigade on Xmas Eve last year to the most amazing little girl.

However, last few days we think she has developed reflux. Any tips to deal with this and help her? GP has prescribed gaviscon today which I'm hoping will take the edge off and help her - but most the evening she has been absolutely screaming. It's heartbreaking hearing it and also frustrating as nothing we try will help 😞
Hopefully the Gaviscon helps, but have tried using any forums, netmums is a good one. loads of tips and stuff on there.

Try this, quite a few threads on it that might help you.

https://www.netmums.com/search?q=reflux

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #54 on: February 5, 2022, 09:43:07 pm »
Congrats to the new parents! It's an amazing, life changing experience, but so very tiring ;D

Plenty of good advice in here, all I'm going to add is to try to support your other half as much as you possibly can, as well as the little one. Obviously everyone's dynamics are different but childbirth can be a huge physical, mental and emotional strain on a new mum (and of course on a new dad!) and sometimes it's just important to be there for her and be as supportive as you can! I had absolutely no idea what I was doing for the first one and like Nick said above often felt useless, by the time we had our second we were much more prepared and found it a lot easier having done it all before (still stressful though...)
« Last Edit: February 5, 2022, 09:46:49 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 5, 2022, 09:46:19 pm »

Only just seen this so congratulations 🥂

I'm sure you've tried all the usual tricks like smaller feeds, breaking up feeds to burp, feeding sitting up and keep baby upright for a good half an hour after feeding though none of them are guaranteed to help.

Babies can be quite greedy and rush their feeding so if that's the case take a break to burp them and give their feed time to settle before starting again.

It's tough especially doing the night feeds as you need to be patient but try any or all of those tips and see how you get on, even if you do use gaviscon.

Best of luck mate

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #56 on: February 5, 2022, 10:56:41 pm »
Congratulations J-Mc! She’s a beauty. Good luck to you and your other half.

Congratulations! Our son had reflux, he used to projectile vomit loads. Initially we also thought he had bad colic but turns out he had a milk allegory so every feed was hurting him. Had to get him prescribed on to some different formula (which stank!) and that did the trick. Might just be worth trying to check out all possibilities if you can.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: February 7, 2022, 08:50:24 pm »
So the first two days have been a bit of a rollercoaster, from sitting up with her for 6 hours while she sleeps so she’d settle, to changing the first nappy, it’s an experience!

One thing i’m wondering though, she’s gone from 30ml (what the hospital said to give her,) to 40ml and now she’s just devoured 80ml of cow&gate formula.

We’re wondering if this is normal for a 2 day old, 6lb8 baby or if we need to take her somewhere.

Any advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2022, 08:54:28 pm by J-Mc- »

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 7, 2022, 09:03:41 pm »
3:05am, 5/2/2022

We got to welcome our gorgeous little girl into the world.

Everyone, meet Amirah Lily

Oh my god she's so weeny! New babies can make me weep... I'm 50 and very broody so enjoy it all! (try to anyway ;) ) She's gorgeous.

And congrats Dr Mingebag. Emotional time. I wish I could help re: reflux. If I could give any advice to any new parent tho it's 'don't panic'. All new parents are probably going thru something similar.

On a totally different bent... all children under the age of 2 have a particularly susceptible love, and a door open for surprisingly complex music. After age 2 fergeddit. Lots of classical music, jazz, Shit & Shine... you name it. I wish I knew this before tiptoeing round the house when the first born is 2 weeks old. Babies like noise - never be afraid of being yourself around your babies. But a babies brain loves complex music apparently... wish I knew this before we had ours - so don't be afraid. They hate Oasis tho.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 7, 2022, 09:11:49 pm »
So the first two days have been a bit of a rollercoaster, from sitting up with her for 6 hours while she sleeps so she’d settle, to changing the first nappy, it’s an experience!

One thing i’m wondering though, she’s gone from 30ml (what the hospital said to give her,) to 40ml and now she’s just devoured 80ml of cow&gate formula.

We’re wondering if this is normal for a 2 day old, 6lb8 baby or if we need to take her somewhere.

You'll probably find that ending up on your lap later.  ;D I woudn't worry about it. Every new parent over worries about everything. We did exactly the same. No sleep, panic attacks every few minutes when something different happens. You'll be fine. You'll also be tired. Try and get sleep when you can.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 7, 2022, 09:22:12 pm »

I wouldn't worry about it mate, like Filler says it'll either settle down or come back up.

My 1st was 5wks prem, 5lb7 and in special care for 11 days and I could never get enough in him. 

My 2nd was full term and barely ate a thing till she was at high school.

There is no right or wrong way, just your babies way.  She'll let you know what she needs or doesn't need and when she needs it. 

The fun bit is trying to suss it all out 😁

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 7, 2022, 10:12:47 pm »
Cheers Filler and Debs, appreciate it.

She’s not brought anything up and has just conked out in her bouncer, the calmest I’ve saw her sleep since she’s got home so we’re going to stick with 90ml for now.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 7, 2022, 10:32:28 pm »
The best advice you'll get:

There is no right or wrong way, just your babies way.  She'll let you know what she needs or doesn't need and when she needs it. 

And in 2nd place:

10-20ml tho

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 7, 2022, 10:36:14 pm »
Enjoy that nap of hers JMc. They are the best days.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: February 8, 2022, 02:39:30 pm »
Became a dad in October last year so my little girl is 4 months old. Genuinely can't remember what life without her was like. She is an absolute angel, feeds well, sleeps really well, is developing every single day. Congratulations to everyone in here who is expecting or has just become parents because it is just magic

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 8, 2022, 03:12:00 pm »
Congratulations to the new parents, hope you are all adjusting well.

Anyone want an 11 yr old boy, free to a good home. Pretty clean, doesn't smell, supports LFC, sarcastic as fuck, rages a lot and will get you called into see the headmaster and end up with social services on the phone because he thinks its funny to talk to his mates about sucking their balls....................
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 8, 2022, 03:14:18 pm »
Congratulations to the new parents, hope you are all adjusting well.

Anyone want an 11 yr old boy, free to a good home. Pretty clean, doesn't smell, supports LFC, sarcastic as fuck, rages a lot and will get you called into see the headmaster and end up with social services on the phone because he thinks its funny to talk to his mates about sucking their balls....................

😂😂😂 Ok own up...... Whose porn has he been watching 🤔

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 8, 2022, 03:22:38 pm »
😂😂😂 Ok own up...... Whose porn has he been watching 🤔

Nicks  ;D

I seriously have no idea where he gets it from, he's a loon. I think he says it for the reaction, he says stuff to me I'd never have dreamed of saying to my Dad.

He's also in trouble for telling a girl, on a whatsapp message, his mate has a small penis. She bloody asked him how big it was and said she was drooling thinking about it, bloody kids  :butt
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 8, 2022, 03:34:40 pm »
Nicks  ;D

I seriously have no idea where he gets it from, he's a loon. I think he says it for the reaction, he says stuff to me I'd never have dreamed of saying to my Dad.

He's also in trouble for telling a girl, on a whatsapp message, his mate has a small penis. She bloody asked him how big it was and said she was drooling thinking about it, bloody kids  :butt

Yeah bloody kids mate but it's all new, a huge learning curve and a minefield of complexities to navigate their way through.

At least at 11 he's at an age where you can still educate him and help guide him 👍

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 8, 2022, 03:45:43 pm »
Yeah bloody kids mate but it's all new, a huge learning curve and a minefield of complexities to navigate their way through.

At least at 11 he's at an age where you can still educate him and help guide him 👍

So long as he doesn't do what I was doing at his age, we'll be OK ;D

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 8, 2022, 03:59:58 pm »
So long as he doesn't do what I was doing at his age, we'll be OK ;D

Well yeah it's always good to look back at our own indiscretions so we know where to draw the line mate.

What's really funny is that they believe they did it first or that we might be shocked. 

I always tried to explain this to my "wayward" teenage daughter that you can't blag a blagger.  Been there, done that etc etc

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2022, 01:19:37 pm »
Thanks for all the advice re Reflux - she seems to have turned a bit of a corner on it and is much calmer thankfully - 8 weeks old today! :D

Only thing now is every time I try and get her in her LFC kit or LFC vest she goes ballistic.... No chance shes getting any other colours on her though.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2022, 04:24:40 pm »
Thanks for all the advice re Reflux - she seems to have turned a bit of a corner on it and is much calmer thankfully - 8 weeks old today! :D

Only thing now is every time I try and get her in her LFC kit or LFC vest she goes ballistic.... No chance shes getting any other colours on her though.

congrats dude. the first few months are mental and you walk around like a zombie a lot of the time

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2022, 12:35:02 am »
Bit of a bump here!

What can I say, Amirah hasn’t long turned 10 months old, soon going into a childminder so I can actually get some work done but she’s grown so quickly in a short space of time.

Almost walking and talking, hitting milestones months in advance.

Wouldn’t change being a dad for the world!