Author Topic: The King is gone, long live the next one and good luck...  (Read 575006 times)

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The King is gone, long live the next one and good luck...
« Reply #4640 on: May 17, 2012, 11:55:41 am »
Does anybody think they haven't already gotten their man? *snip*
I wouldn't go as far as to say that I think they made contact with a replacement months ago - but they will have had a list of managers drawn up when they decided to keep Kenny instead, and they wouldn't have binned that list. I suspect the potential managers they considered then will still be of interest to them now, so we should at least be glad that we don't have to wait for them to take time compiling such a list. They should be able to jump straight to the stage where they start making contact with people.

The Comolli timing and explanation they gave for that whole dismissal led me to believe that they do actually have a plan here, and I'm willing to give them a little longer to show us what that plan is.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4641 on: May 17, 2012, 11:56:02 am »
Seen it mentioned a few times so thought I may as well nip it in the bud..

Klopp signed a deal to keep him at BVB till 2016 only weeks/months ago. He won't be leaving Dortmund for anyone.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4642 on: May 17, 2012, 11:56:23 am »
There will be bids in early for some of our players as well if other clubs smell uncertainty and a chance to move without response
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4643 on: May 17, 2012, 11:56:30 am »
why are  you convinced of that ? 

wont they consider candidates based on their achievements?  Benitiz did very well with little money to spend. I would have thought that appealed to the owners.
FSG's trusted right hand man help sack Rafa.

Unless Ayre's goes there's no chance Rafa will be coming back.

Saying that I've never wanted to be more wrong.

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4644 on: May 17, 2012, 11:57:00 am »
There will be bids in early for some of our players as well if other clubs smell uncertainty and a chance to move without response

For some of them, that would be welcome.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4645 on: May 17, 2012, 11:58:30 am »
I know for a fact that the 5 managers Comolli and FSG initially looked at were Klopp, AVB, Rijkaard, O'Neil and Deschamps. Lets see if they go back to that list.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #4646 on: May 17, 2012, 11:58:36 am »

Only there will be no one at LFC to agree any fee or sign a deal to sell. Bit of a stumbling block don't you think?

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4647 on: May 17, 2012, 11:58:43 am »

I am suire that the club would nto mind being taken advantage of by a buyer offering 20M for Downing for instance...

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4648 on: May 17, 2012, 11:59:40 am »
I remember last time, Roy was nailed on favorite the whole time, Pellegrini moved up to about 3/1 but Roy always remained odds on

AVB is a big favorite now

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4649 on: May 17, 2012, 11:59:47 am »
Only there will be no one at LFC to agree any fee or sign a deal to sell. Bit of a stumbling block don't you think?

Not if the owners smell cash, with Suarez and the issues this year, £40-£50 Million and they'd be shot, only needs their signature, that's my concern
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:01:34 pm by Bangin Them In »
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #4650 on: May 17, 2012, 11:59:55 am »

Yes - but they won't be the ones the bids come in for!

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4651 on: May 17, 2012, 12:00:33 pm »
yeah I had a look there myself yesterday.
he'll be keeping very shtum, Rafa knows how these games are played.

Nah he's polishing his best shoes and choosing a tie. Hes wondering if a red tie is too presumptuous to wear to the interview

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4652 on: May 17, 2012, 12:00:40 pm »
hey does anyone remember he was at a CL game a few weeks ago (cant remember which), seemed to be writing a lot of stuff down in a note book like he was doing research. could be something or nothing.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #4653 on: May 17, 2012, 12:00:58 pm »
With the owners giving the next manager 4-5 yr contract it would make absolute fuck all sense giving the job to a guy without any European football knowledge. So that should rule out martinez, Rodgers lambert etc

Best man available - rafa, 2nd AVB

Buy out a contract - klopp, de boer, Low, Bielsa, ancelotti

Where's van gaal?
Surely Pep Guardiola is the best that's currently available by a country mile?  I know he's supposed to be taking a year out but he's not currently employed and I think would be a superb fit...
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline rafa4eva

• Kopite
« Reply #4654 on: May 17, 2012, 12:01:18 pm »
He did in Europe, not domestically.

Houiller was getting us top four, winning domestic cups and doing as well as Benitez in the league.  He left after 5 years because he couldn't take us further.  I thought after six seasons and one title challenge (amongst other things like bizarre tactics etc) it was time for a change.

If he came back freshed and does well - great.  But I personally rather we gave someone else a chance.

Time for a change? Symptoms of our times... How you can write a need for a change amazes me to be honest..... Surely it's a positive change you're after no? Bringing hodge in as part of change, just angers me when posters still seem to think any change is better than what we have or had.... And quite frankly that is über bullshit...

Houllier as an aside, had been given support and some budget.... However he had naturally come to an end.... He really couldn't upgrade his team ... In terms of style or tactics.... Rafa had a complete meltdown going on at the time he was deemed to have taken the club as far as he could.... He had more in his locker whether posters agreed with 4231, defensive mfs, fin zonal marking.... If anything these last few years have made me question whether our opinions are as useful as I once thought, or even that some of our posters know much about football apart from the cliches....

Tiring and depressing reading this insane desire for change ... If we haven't figure out changing managers is not as important as getting our football organisation in place ... Strategy needs to be decided and implemented ....if not, Then we will continue as we have been doing of late.....

Offline chemeddy

• Main Stander
« Reply #4655 on: May 17, 2012, 12:01:22 pm »
Probably more likely that FSG has got the DoF lined up than the Manager.

Back in Boston when FSG shook up the Red Sox, they filled the General Manager's position first before the Coach was appointed, and the GM was meant to have a say in search for the coach. (Didn't really end up that way in the end, but at least that was the idea then.)

I suppose FSG will take the same approach for LFC. If the DoF is meant to have an overview of the footballing philosophy, then it makes more sense to appoint him first and let him factor in his views on the possible candidates. Besides, they would have more time to find DC's replacement than Kenny's having sacked the former much earlier. Hopefully an announcement on the new DoF will be made soon.

Who knows, maybe FSG already has the entire setup ready in place...

Offline ruairimacliam

• Gaydar User
  • Kopite
  • I am your father
« Reply #4656 on: May 17, 2012, 12:01:38 pm »
Surely Pep Guardiola is the best that's currently available by a country mile?  I know he's supposed to be taking a year out but he's not currently employed and I think would be a superb fit...

Im not sure we have the players that Guardiola needs to be a success.

But i'd sure love him here to give it a go.  :lickin

Irish Exile Red

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4658 on: May 17, 2012, 12:02:33 pm »

good point.

Might as well sack Ayre though; they've sacked everyone else

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4659 on: May 17, 2012, 12:02:51 pm »

He didn't have a major role on the board at the point though. It seems unlikely that it was his decision to sack Rafa, and more likely that he was simply ratifying the decision made by others. I don't think we can know his view on Rafa either way. Perhaps I'm clutching at straws though.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4660 on: May 17, 2012, 12:03:20 pm »

Guardiola has shown that he will do what he says - going on a rolling contract by choice and quitting Barcelona is proof that he meant what he said about the stress getting to him. I don;t think he will contadict himsel fimmediately by leaving for another club so soon after quitting to take a year off no matter how much money he is offered.

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4661 on: May 17, 2012, 12:03:29 pm »
I know for a fact that the 5 managers Comolli and FSG initially looked at were Klopp, AVB, Rijkaard, O'Neil and Deschamps. Lets see if they go back to that list.

O'Neill?

That would be awful!  Only Fat Sam would be worse.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #4662 on: May 17, 2012, 12:03:30 pm »
This may be adding 2 + 2 and getting 5, but anybody thinks that the rumour about Valero being offered the goalkeeping coach job at the club again at this time to be rather strange in the light of what has happened since? It is a stretch, but could it be that Benitez is already being brought in? This is speculation talking rather than pragmatic real-world thinking, but thena gain...

May i ask where you saw this?.

Offline Gravy

• Kopite
« Reply #4663 on: May 17, 2012, 12:03:50 pm »

He did?? I remember Ayre as an ally to Rafa. It was Purslow that stuck the knife in

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4664 on: May 17, 2012, 12:03:51 pm »
Guardiola is definitely taking a break this season. He won't be coming
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #4665 on: May 17, 2012, 12:04:04 pm »
Im not sure we have the players that Guardiola needs to be a success.

I think to attract him we'd need to offer a decent transfer wedge for this summer, I agree.  He's turned Barcelona into the Liverpool of Spain, what a challenge for him to turn Liverpool back into the Liverpool we know and love...
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #4666 on: May 17, 2012, 12:04:34 pm »
O'Neill?

That would be awful!  Only Fat Sam would be worse.
Finally, I agree with you on something. Happy Days

Offline mybacklight

• Account Closed!
  • Anny Roader
  • Cuz Laddie says so!
« Reply #4667 on: May 17, 2012, 12:05:08 pm »
You do not sack a manager going in the right direction and you do not go back on a contract, esp when KD was on the right track. The owners are cheeky twats sacking KD and can fucking stay in america.
The americans have shafted us fans and made it clear that all they want is to take advantage for greed and money the usual. Why dont they listen to what the fans want.The atmosphere will suffer again, the money explosion has wrecked our club. Kenny gave us hope that the traditions would live on, now I am not sure that the club can keep it alive under the current owners.

The old shit that we didnt finish in the top 4 in his first season doesnt cut any mustard with me. We made progress with kenny, getting to 2 finals and winning one of them. We we very unlucky in the league at times, but kenny was thinking about the longer picture. You cannot be world beaters overnight and progression needs a good leader and the owners must give someone a greater length of time to get it right. The owners need to grasp that most of us are patient and we were willing to give Dalglish the time required to see his contract out. The owners are cheeky twats sacking a legend when he was going in the right direction. Were meant to be a family and the owners need a lesson in how you should honour contracts, esp when KD was putting us on the correct path.

You cannot get a team together after the shit we went through with the last owners and get a top four finish. Kenny made a difference and tried to see the longer picture, why wouldnt he the owners gave him a 3 year contract and direction from them that he has time to get us going. I seen a big improvement when KD took over and I reckon he would have gone on next season, after learning some lessons from this season. Also we got to two finals, so if that isnt progress I dont know

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4669 on: May 17, 2012, 12:05:58 pm »
May i ask where you saw this?.

I saw it on this forum a few days ago but here's a reference to an article on the Daily Mail...

http://www.madeupnonsense.com/articles/xavi-valero-lined-liverpool-return-3175461

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4670 on: May 17, 2012, 12:06:05 pm »
Finally, I agree with you on something. Happy Days

:)

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #4671 on: May 17, 2012, 12:06:07 pm »
It would be shocking if they do not even give Rafa the time for a chat at least.

He was building something great and that only stopped when he had to deal with the owners.

Offline takeiteasy

• Main Stander
« Reply #4672 on: May 17, 2012, 12:06:45 pm »
no, it doesn't.
and maybe, depends who it is.
I think there's a fair few candidates who've been mentioned, that most fans will have no trouble getting behind.

I haven't seen one mentioned yet that I think we could get,ruling out Klopp and Pep(!) for me-leaving Martinez and AVB who are both likely to be so far out of their depth it will be like watching a slow speed car crash.AVB couldn't handle the pressure at the Chelsea and i have no doubt in my mind the pressure at Anfield is much,much bigger.So who does that leave?Van Gaal?Maybe but I would rather have rafa every day of the week.Van Gaal is a piece of work alright and would be up to the job.Can't see it happening though.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4673 on: May 17, 2012, 12:07:11 pm »
John W Henry has officially unfollowed Kenny on twitter

PANIC!!!!!!!!

Offline ruairimacliam

• Gaydar User
  • Kopite
  • I am your father
« Reply #4674 on: May 17, 2012, 12:08:31 pm »

PANIC!!!!!!!!

This shit just got real!!  :o
Irish Exile Red

Offline Kopite72

• Kopite
« Reply #4675 on: May 17, 2012, 12:08:44 pm »
O'Neill can go fuck himself. He hates us, and speaking for myself, he's an absolute twat. Hated him since he was a Forest player.

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4676 on: May 17, 2012, 12:09:03 pm »

PANIC!!!!!!!!
only when he starts following big sam

Offline mybacklight

• Account Closed!
  • Anny Roader
  • Cuz Laddie says so!
« Reply #4677 on: May 17, 2012, 12:09:19 pm »

PANIC!!!!!!!!

Cheeky Twat!

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4678 on: May 17, 2012, 12:09:21 pm »

PANIC!!!!!!!!

Not very classy if true.

Offline Kopite72

• Kopite
« Reply #4679 on: May 17, 2012, 12:10:05 pm »

PANIC!!!!!!!!

Classless