Author Topic: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread  (Read 3981463 times)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread.
« Reply #39600 on: May 24, 2015, 01:40:10 pm »
....but what about bacon butties ...

I don't know if anyone else has had the same problem, but why doesn't the fatty/skin edge of a slice bacon these days go crispy when you fry or grill it like it used to years back?

I'm guessing it could possibly be something to do with additives.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #39601 on: May 24, 2015, 01:50:19 pm »
Can I send you a postal order?
Certenment.  Just send it to my email.
Kill the humourless

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #39602 on: May 24, 2015, 01:54:44 pm »
I don't know if anyone else has had the same problem, but why doesn't the fatty/skin edge of a slice bacon these days go crispy when you fry or grill it like it used to years back?

I'm guessing it could possibly be something to do with additives.

Most bacon nowadays is rindless, or is that not what you meant.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39603 on: May 24, 2015, 02:01:12 pm »

I've had the same problem, its got the rind on, but it doesn't go crisp unless you cook the bacon until is like a piece of wood.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #39604 on: May 24, 2015, 02:02:56 pm »

That's possibly a reason, though my mum used to cut the rind off with a pair of scissors before sticking the rasher in the pan so I'm not too sure.

Maybe it's something to do with the way the meat might be conditioned these days, I certainly remember back in the late 50's early 60's when accompanying my mum on the messages that the old butchers down Town Row would have the meat out on display in all weathers with no refrigeration or certainly not like these days. I expect it was only stuck in the cold store overnight.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #39605 on: May 24, 2015, 02:05:33 pm »
Talking of which, I wonder has the phrase "The Messages" gone the way of "A Scholar"....

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39606 on: May 24, 2015, 02:09:06 pm »
I always used to do hot dip butties off a beef roast, or cold dripping butties with salt.  Bliss. 

Loved them, and Salt Fish on a Sunday morning. We only got it now again, probably shite, but I remember it as lovely.

Funny when we moved to Kirkby. Gangs of inner city kids, all thought we were in the middle of the countryside, used to fill a lemo bottle with water, get a butty, brown sauce or sugar usually, and set off into the wild unknowns like Sherpers. Happy days.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #39607 on: May 24, 2015, 02:15:12 pm »
That's possibly a reason, though my mum used to cut the rind off with a pair of scissors before sticking the rasher in the pan so I'm not too sure.

Maybe it's something to do with the way the meat might be conditioned these days, I certainly remember back in the late 50's early 60's when accompanying my mum on the messages that the old butchers down Town Row would have the meat out on display in all weathers with no refrigeration or certainly not like these days. I expect it was only stuck in the cold store overnight.

That was part of the curing process. 

Bacon sides are either cured in brine or dry pack, so it could also be the content of that or how long they are cured for and if they are hung for further curing in a cold shed, just like the old butchers did.

Supermarkets shortcut the process, mainly cut the rind off anyway and lob it on the shelves.  Farmers tend to stick to the old ways and cure their bacon sides for weeks or months in the cold.  Delicious bacon and crispy rind. 

But your Mum's idea of frying the rind separately will do the trick. 

PS.  Northfield Farm do superb bacon and also pork cuts.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:20:25 pm by Maggie May »
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39608 on: May 24, 2015, 02:20:04 pm »
That was part of the curing process. 

Bacon sides are either cured in brine or dry pack, so it could also be the content of that or how long they are cured for and if they are hung for further curing in a cold shed, just like the old butchers did.

Supermarkets shortcut the process, mainly cut the rind off anyway and lob it on the shelves.  Farmers tend to stick to the old ways and cure their bacon sides for weeks or months in the cold.  Delicious bacon and crispy rind. 

But your Mum's idea of frying the rind separately will do the trick. 
It's usually sold sodden with water to increase the weight that you are buying - this also fucks up the cooking process because you are now basically boiling the stuff.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39609 on: May 24, 2015, 02:23:42 pm »
Loved them, and Salt Fish on a Sunday morning. We only got it now again, probably shite, but I remember it as lovely.

Funny when we moved to Kirkby. Gangs of inner city kids, all thought we were in the middle of the countryside, used to fill a lemo bottle with water, get a butty, brown sauce or sugar usually, and set off into the wild unknowns like Sherpers. Happy days.
Me arl fellah had that every Sunday we had it sometimes (I'm sure that had bacon fat lobbed all over it too - no wonder I can't bend me arms and legs). Very Spanish that, Bacalao (not with the bacon fat though).
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #39610 on: May 24, 2015, 02:28:13 pm »

The stick of fried rind, when cold, we would eat like biltong.

Nothing ever went to waste in our house, my mum and dad couldn't afford it, the make do and mend generation.

Even the old butter paper was saved for cleaning your hands of tar or oil or after gardening, it worked a treat and was cheaper than something like a tin of swarfega.

It's weird looking back now and thinking of the things we did.

I suppose it would be easy for us lot near 60 or over to probably adapt to all that again if needed but I'm not sure of the younger generations, they having had an easy life in comparison, and I can't help but think a lot of them perhaps would struggle.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39611 on: May 24, 2015, 03:36:27 pm »

Me arl fellah had that every Sunday we had it sometimes (I'm sure that had bacon fat lobbed all over it too - no wonder I can't bend me arms and legs). Very Spanish that, Bacalao (not with the bacon fat though).

Yeah.  Me  Nan loved it - plus the bacon fat over, and we all got some.  Mind you, it was a helluva palaver preparing it.  Soaking this board like thing iin a bucket of cold water with frequent changes, until it gradually gave in and sank to the bottom.  And naturally the house stank during the cooking.  But it was lovely.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39612 on: May 24, 2015, 03:56:35 pm »
The stick of fried rind, when cold, we would eat like biltong.

Nothing ever went to waste in our house, my mum and dad couldn't afford it, the make do and mend generation.

Even the old butter paper was saved for cleaning your hands of tar or oil or after gardening, it worked a treat and was cheaper than something like a tin of swarfega.

It's weird looking back now and thinking of the things we did.

I suppose it would be easy for us lot near 60 or over to probably adapt to all that again if needed but I'm not sure of the younger generations, they having had an easy life in comparison, and I can't help but think a lot of them perhaps would struggle.

Problem is, skills used to be passed from Nan to Mum to daughter.   I don't think that happens now because life is much easier.  Also, loads of small shops have been killed off by the supermarkets, and you can't get your hands on the raw materials for meals.

For the first 18 months we were married we were on the rags of our arses.  We were so poor we used to get handouts from Church Mice.  We'd never have survived if I hadn't watched my Nan make tasty meals out of cheap cuts, and there were plenty of shops selling the necesary foodstuffs. 

But I continued to make them as our situation improved, as they were tasty.  Neck ends or scrag if you prefer.  The aroma of the long slow cooking perfumed the house.  And the lamb fell from the bone and the marrow was sucked out.

Talking of marrow.  I used to get marrow bones and roast them, and then spoon the marrow out and we'd eat it on toast.  Poor man's scoff.  Bugger me if we didn't see it on the menu of a posh restaurant

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39613 on: May 24, 2015, 04:19:52 pm »
Continued ........ near Smithfield Market!!

And pork belly.  Boned, stuffed and rolled.

Ham shanks, boiled, bone in, with lots of veg.   The cooking liquid was thicked with extra floury spuds and, with some of the ham, made a terrific soup.  The rest of the ham made the meal with more veg and spuds.  The bone went to the dog.

And you are right about nothing going to waste.  My Uncle Alf had an allotment, grew veg, tomatoes and flowers, and kept hens.  We did well for fresh food of that kind, and the hens were repaid with a mash.  Their eggshells were roasted and put through the mincer along with any stale bread or crusts that had also been roasted.  Potato peelings were boiled up amd mashed and  the egg/bread mixed in.  It was bulked up with some feed, and the hens loved it.  Any large cabbage or cauli stalks were given to them to peck. 

Fertiliser was a sack of horse manure in a rain butt.  Great stuff.  Whenever a horse and cart came round, we'd watch the horse like hawks, bucket and coal shovel to hand, ready to rush out as soon as there was any action.  We weren't shy.  Not after tasting the results it produced.  There were tomatoes in a greenhouse who were especially well fed with the magic mix.  Walking in and the perfume of the tomatoes was intoxicating.  Sniff tomatoes in the supermarket nowadays and they smell of bugger all.

Aye well.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39614 on: May 24, 2015, 06:37:38 pm »
Woke up with a monster hangover. Checked the score and thought i had been spiked. Ale is no good to me .
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #39615 on: May 24, 2015, 07:08:40 pm »
On a lighter note.  Anybody's Mum make them a mashed banana and sugar butty?  Dreamy.
Mine did.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39616 on: May 24, 2015, 07:48:06 pm »
Hey, great news everybody....

the season's over!
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39617 on: May 24, 2015, 08:10:56 pm »
But the transfer talk will begin...

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #39618 on: May 24, 2015, 08:28:29 pm »
But the transfer talk will begin...

Or as JC reputedly said to Mo, "Fuck that for a game of conkers..."

I truly pity whoever are going to be the transfer mods.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39619 on: May 24, 2015, 08:38:15 pm »
Our very own Terry...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YX9TchlGNqc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YX9TchlGNqc</a>

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39620 on: May 24, 2015, 09:28:02 pm »
Ahh Terry, eh. I miss the aul bastard in here. I speak to him every now and again. I don't think he'll be back. I'd say defo not now. I haven't even peeped out there, but I bet it's on fire. So, I'd best just stay here. I'd only pour petrol on it.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39621 on: May 24, 2015, 09:31:37 pm »

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #39622 on: May 24, 2015, 09:37:14 pm »
I'll bet its nice out there tonight
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39623 on: May 24, 2015, 10:24:34 pm »
Surprised you're on here, home early, mate

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39624 on: May 24, 2015, 10:47:42 pm »
Been Sound city Friday & Sat, was rough this morning and got the coach time wrong, ended up in The Throstles at 8am, then the bizzies got on and took all the ale off at Stoke was dying with indigestion by the time I got to town, so came home.

Just weighing up tomorra now.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39625 on: May 24, 2015, 11:14:43 pm »
Had a seriously boss day at Sound City yesterday, weather was sound so I woke up with a big red grid this morning.

Anyway went out in the docks on a boat with a couple of bevs, this lad was on. Take a look at the video, was Sound, great experience.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XtcSkRjRaYw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XtcSkRjRaYw</a>

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39626 on: May 24, 2015, 11:31:33 pm »
Our very own Terry...
That really doesn't do him justice :)  he sang an Elton John song wonderfully in the Beehive which I was desperately trying to enjoy but I had FS wittering in me ear. No exaggeration, it was great. ...... but the witter fucking witter, jeez, I told him to go and write a fucking book .......

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39627 on: May 25, 2015, 12:48:25 am »
That really doesn't do him justice :)  he sang an Elton John song wonderfully in the Beehive which I was desperately trying to enjoy but I had FS wittering in me ear. No exaggeration, it was great. ...... but the witter fucking witter, jeez, I told him to go and write a fucking book .......
So it's your bloody fault.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39628 on: May 25, 2015, 12:51:57 am »
So it's your bloody fault.
Probably  ???

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #39629 on: May 25, 2015, 01:39:26 am »
Dunno what the moaning fuckers are on abar.

I remember a coupla years back we were out of it at fucken Chrimbo.

Wooltonian once said: "Half our fanbase think things can only get better.  The rest live on Cloud Cuckoo Land."

Supporters support.

STFU. :no
Kill the humourless

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39630 on: May 25, 2015, 10:52:19 am »

Wait till you see what I'm up to now. And you'll be gettin blamed for that, an all!

Good night that though, eh? I don't remember much after Terry doing he's Elton. Next thing I remember, waking up, caked in Pizza. I must have got one bite out of it, but it was everywhere, the lot, all over me clobber, in me hair, on the pillow and in the bed. Pauline went bonkers, crept out the hotel, mortified, like she'd shit the bed, long journey back that one.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39631 on: May 25, 2015, 11:37:35 am »
Wait till you see what I'm up to now. And you'll be gettin blamed for that, an all!

Good night that though, eh? I don't remember much after Terry doing he's Elton. Next thing I remember, waking up, caked in Pizza. I must have got one bite out of it, but it was everywhere, the lot, all over me clobber, in me hair, on the pillow and in the bed. Pauline went bonkers, crept out the hotel, mortified, like she'd shit the bed, long journey back that one.
;D

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #39632 on: May 25, 2015, 11:58:44 am »
I've got a question you arlarses (the sane people on this site) might be able to help with. I went to my first away at Stamford bridge in 91 and for the life of me I remember there being a load of cars parked behind the goal, facing the pitch, in front of of the old shed end (the big semi circle gap). It sticks in my mind as I  thought it was like a drive-in service at the time. I can't find anything online and I'm starting to think I made it up because I was 10?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:04:58 pm by meady1981 »

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39633 on: May 25, 2015, 12:06:15 pm »
It was the old disability cars for disabled supporters, think they were called Invicars or something like that

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #39634 on: May 25, 2015, 12:21:24 pm »
It was the old disability cars for disabled supporters, think they were called Invicars or something like that
That's them, I knew it! - Celtic park isn't it. Imagine watching the game in your car with the heating on and the tunes blaring. Brilliant, cheers.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39635 on: May 25, 2015, 12:25:07 pm »
Rob beat me to it. But here you go, Meady... http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/BigMatch.html

You might even find the match you was at.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39636 on: May 25, 2015, 01:10:16 pm »
Aye. Not the most hospitable of places to go to, even now.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39637 on: May 25, 2015, 02:08:42 pm »
You'll actually find some save the bridge things there too, like the collection things they used to have on Blue Peter. Ken Bates, cracking fella, bought it for a nuclear then wanted even else to pay for it, if he wasn't electrocuting them!

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #39638 on: May 25, 2015, 02:41:04 pm »
Rob beat me to it. But here you go, Meady... http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/BigMatch.html

You might even find the match you was at.

Great site that mate

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39639 on: May 25, 2015, 02:58:05 pm »
Looking at that post match thread, it can't be long before someone types out the entire works of William Shakespeare, just by chance, like.
NAKED BOOBERY