The Liverpool FC Forum > Liverpool Life

Irish rock legends invited to open Kings Dock Arena

(1/4) > >>

quincyg:
great if it comes off...doubt many of us Scousers will get a look in for tickets though. Be nice to have a decent large venue. Just hope prices are reasonable at this new place when it eventually gets built.

Oct 14 2005

By Sam Lister Daily Post Staff

ROCK legends U2 are being approached to play at Liverpool's Kings Dock arena on its opening night.

The Irish band could be part of a star-studded burst of performers to grace the new arena in its opening days with Sir Paul McCartney also on a very short list being considered for the long-awaited 9,500 seat venue.

The Daily Post understands the multi-award winning group, who were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March, were thought to be ideal because of their affinity with Liverpool - due to the city's historical Irish links - as well as their enormous box office pulling power.

The key question will be whether the Liverpool date will fit into the band's hectic touring and recording schedule, while finance could be another hurdle to climb.

Last night city council leader Mike Storey said: "We want to attract top name artists to the venue for its opening night.

"It would not be fanciful to suggest we would be knocking at the door of U2.

"We want a massive opening night. I want to see some great pop culture that everyone will remember for years to come."

The £146m waterfront complex opens in just over two years time but preparations are already under way to ensure a spectacular first night.

Securing U2, one of the biggest bands in the world, would be a major coup for the city.

For the band it would be a far more intimate night thn they have recently been used to. This year they played three sell-out Dublin gigs to a total of 250,000 fans as well as numerous 70,000-seat football stadiums during their world tour, including the City of Manchester stadium.

But they have spoken in the past of their special bond with Liverpool as a city, which could help persuade them to sign on the dotted line.

As expected Sir Paul is also being approached to play a part in the opening of the £146m waterfront complex.

The Kings Dock has become somewhat of an old favourite with the 63-year-old former Beatle, who was recently back in the charts with his new album Chaos And Creation In The Back Yard.

He has played two outdoor concerts at the site, the latest in front of 35,000 in June 2003.

Cllr Storey said: "We are planning a huge event for the launch, and who would be better than Paul McCartney?

"The idea of Sir Paul and friends playing the first-ever concert at the new arena is simply fantastic. Knowing Sir Paul, I am sure he would want to be part of such an important event in his home city."

Construction work only started at Kings Dock on Wednesday but arena bosses are already in talks with concert promoters to line up a string of big names for 2008.

Kings' chief executive Bob Prattey said: "Promoters welcome the new venue because by linking it with Liverpool's great musical and sporting heritage, they have a winning formula.

"They also know there is great potential support from the public, because people here enjoy going to big events - it is part of our culture.

"The success of the Summer Pops helps, because it has attracted headliners like Diana Ross and demonstrated that we can sell tickets for big acts.

"It makes it all the more bizarre that we have not had a facility capable of staging major events before."

It is hoped the arena will also become a favourite for sporting events.

The centre will have the facilities to host indoor sports, such as boxing, tennis and gymnastics.

Mr Prattey added: "We have been in discussions with UK sports bodies to ask them about coming to Liverpool.

"Televised sport in particular would raise the profile of the arena and Liverpool as a city."

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_objectid=16247621%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=irish%2drock%2dlegends%2dinvited%2dto%2dopen%2dkings%2ddock%2darena-name_page.html

ewok-red:
how totally and utterly depressing. should be a night of liverpool bands to open it.  and i cannot think of anyone i would rather not have open it

Veinticinco de Mayo:

--- Quote from: ewokred on October 14, 2005, 10:18:43 am ---how totally and utterly depressing. should be a night of liverpool bands to open it.  and i cannot think of anyone i would rather not have open it

--- End quote ---

I'd agree with that mate.  I guess that the council are really looking for a "global" name to open it up and create a bit of national / international publicity. They should make sure they have a Liverpool bands night in the first week though. Coral, Zutons, Stands, Dead 60s, Ladytron, Amsterdam. It would be a cracking night.

I do hope that we're going to get something else permanent out of 2008 other than this arena. As someone who pretty much refuses to pay more than £20 for a gig ticket or watch a band in a venue that holds more than 2000 people then I can't see me getting much use out of it.

I despair at this council's policy on music as exemplified by turning the city's best medium size music venue (Royal Court) into a comedy venue for the chicken in a basket brigade. Really they should have ploughed some money into doing the place up a bit and trying to lure a few gigs. I've seen some great gigs at the Royal Court over the years (Pxies, REM, Bunnymen, Coral, Iggy) there is no reason, with the right management, why the venue could not continue to attract artists of that calibre.

Rushian:

--- Quote from: ewokred on October 14, 2005, 10:18:43 am ---how totally and utterly depressing. should be a night of liverpool bands to open it.  and i cannot think of anyone i would rather not have open it

--- End quote ---

surely it would be all too easy to go parochial, "Scouse bands only no OOTs"? When you launch such a large facility and gain publicity you have to look at the wider UK community.

gregor:
I'm all for a global big name. Would've been great to have an a good band though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version